Author Topic: Scar's Top 50 Favorite Albums v.No variety, mostly prog  (Read 9935 times)

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
Scar's Top 50 Favorite Albums v.No variety, mostly prog
« on: June 09, 2016, 08:23:43 PM »
Alright, so here it is. I know I'm knew, but I hope you will enjoy this list. This list will include from these artists: Dream Theater, Avenged Sevenfold, Opeth, Flower Kings, Haken, Yes, Rush, Kansas, Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, ELP, Jethro Tull, Tool, and Spock's Beard.

There may be more or less from other bands....and let's get started soon! I hope you will enjoy this list!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 07:57:26 PM by Scar »
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Something tells me you like prog :P

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Heheh. You betcha. ;)
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
#1 is dark side of the moon

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Ladies and gents, let us get on with the number fifty spot!

Number 50: "Aqua Lung" by Jethro Tull (1971)

Aqua Lung is great. This is the first album that got me into Jethro Tull. The songs on the album cover a variety of musical genres, with elements of folk, blues, psychedelia and hard rock. And man, the riffs here are insane! Check out "Locomotive Breath", "Hymn 43" and "Wind Up"! Those songs among others are regarded as a factor in the band's increased success after the release of the album. And this album being a concept album was a +1 on this. The topic of this album featured a central theme as the "distinction between religion and God." This album also sounds extremely serious...maybe a little too serious. Martin Barre's solo on the self titled song is jaw dropping! Heck, it even made it into Guitarists "The 20 Greatest Guitar Solos of All Time!" Though it clocked at number twenty.

Overall, a fantastic album and we begin this countdown with this song on the list.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Number 49. "10,000 Days" by Tool (2006)

Ah, 10,000 days. An extremely strong album by Tool, this is their fourth album. This album has been nominated and won the award for "Best Recording Package." 10,000 Days is considerably less punishing and much more ethereal. Songs like "Lost Keys" and "Vigniti Tires" are dark ambient soundscrapes that just make you wonder where the drums went. And when they are there, they're decidedly less brutal than on Lateralus. "Right in Two" they sound more like bongos. The title track features sitar and tabla. Listening to this album, you get the sinking feeling that Tool have made an art-rock, rather than art-metal, album. And yes, the difference is considerable. Keenan's vocals are no less powerful here. I have come to appreciate this album, but it took a couple of tries. 10,000 Days is supposedly named for the amount of time between Keenan's mother becoming paralyzed and when she died, so it's sort of a "Death Disco" for suburban teenagers. Quite sad.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I like this album for about 4 tracks and then it goes on 40 minutes too long after

Offline jakepriest

10,000 suffers from having a mix of great tracks and a mix of Tool's worst tracks.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just never 'got' Tool at all. I've got about 4 of their albums (which I think is actually all of their studio albums  :huh:), including 10,000 Days, and they do nothing for me. I quite liked Parabola but I can't really think of anything else that really stood out for me. I'm sure I'll go back and give them another try down the line but not for a good while yet.

But I will be following  :biggrin:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I just never 'got' Tool at all.
Fucking this. I love The Grudge and think it's an awesome song, but the rest of Lateralus just bores me, too same-y. Thus I've never felt compelled to check the rest of their work.

Offline Tomislav95

Aqualung is great. I'd like to explore more Jethro Tull but I usually just forget about them.
And fuck 10,000 Days haters :neverusethis: I always liked it, even more than Lateralus (pls, don't kill me)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
10,000 Days is supposedly named for the amount of time between Keenan's mother becoming paralyzed and when she died, so it's sort of a "Death Disco" for suburban teenagers. Quite sad.
Heh. I always thought the 10,000 Days title stood for the amount of time between this album and the next one. Guess I interpreted that incorrectly.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
:tup :tup

Number 48: "Brain Salad Surgery" by ELP (1973)

In 1973 when this album came out, I didn't exist! But as I was listening to this album, I realized that I was listening to such a masterpiece! For me, it is one of the best Emerson, Lake and Palmer album due to the complexities and sheer energy of Kieth Emerson's keyboards and Carl Palmer's speedy drumming. This album always reminds me of classical music, but in a progressive rock sense where every energy has been use to create something both unique and truly classic. From the second the needle dropped and hit the vinyl this album is on steroids. It pushed the limits of the musicians, in both performance and composition. ELP's use of technology surpassed any album of the period. It had signs of aggression never found in prog rock before. This album was the pinnacle of all the band's efforts, Then to top it off we had Sinfield penning "Karn Evil" lyrics and H.R. Giger responsible for the cover art. What a package!

Here, you have the album in 3 forms--the original, remastered, on CD #1, which is the same remaster, as the one initially made for the now-defunct Victory Music label in 1993, the first time the ELP catalogue was properly remastered away from the first CD run with Atlantic. On CD #2, you have the outtakes--the first attempt at "When the Apple Blossoms Bloom in the Windmills of Your Mind, I'll Be Your Valentine" (which didn't see official release until Works, Vol. 2, in late 1977) and the completely unreleased-until-now title cut, "Brain Salad Surgery," which has elements of all the tracks that did appear on the album. In addition, first mixes of "Toccata" and "Karn Evil 9: 3rd Impression," and new stereo mixes of all the tracks, plus an excerpt from the New Musical Express interview flexible of the time. Worthy additions all, for the completest fan. And CD #3 is a hybrid SACD of the album; this is the 5.1 Surround Sound mix used on Rhino's DVD-A release of 1999 (Rhino R9-75980), but it is improved notably.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline twosuitsluke

:tup :tup

Number 48: "Brain Salad Surgery" by ELP (1973)

Actually got this on vinyl  :hat

Gotta love a good H.R.Giger cover.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
47. "Banks of Eden" by Flower Kings

Look past the name, sit back and take it all in. The Flower Kings’ Banks Of Eden is one of the most promising releases to grace 2012. That might look like a big call, but it’s backed up by some of the strongest song writing to be found in the modern progressive rock genre. Somehow, since releasing the group’s debut back in 1995, The Flower Kings have been regarded as a progressive rock powerhouse and yet simultaneously managed to stay relatively unnoticed with their releases. For those who have had the pleasure of hearing any other record in the band’s catalogue, chances are they know that this act have some serious talent behind them. Mixing your everyday progressive patterns with the occasional folk instrument, and excellently well-presented crooned male vocals, Banks Of Eden is deep listen that harmonies and floats into the sub-conscious of the listener. Careful though, this album will need some time to sink in especially with its nine tracks finishing just over the hour and fifteen minute mark. Five years in the waiting (as members worked on other numerous acts) and The Flower Kings prove once again why you should put down whatever you’re doing and put this record on.

All in all, Banks Of Eden explore the outer confines of a genre, making a listen fresh and enjoyable. The album itself is infectious, especially for those familiar with the band or encompassing genre. The Flower Kings have blown away their some-what lackluster release of Adam and Eve in 2004 and come built on their previous release, The Sum Of No Evil in the best possible ways. The band shows that even with a hiatus of five years they are in no way out of the game. Banks Of Eden explore and map out the world of progressive rock, stopping only to captivate the listener and despite being released in the middle of 2012, is one of years strongest releases. It may take a while for the listener to fully understand the passages and integral depth shown throughout the entire of the record, but thankfully most will be glad to listen to this over and over again. Sections intertwine and caress the next taking care to not outweigh or outshine the next. Everything is where it should be.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Number 46: "Falling into Infinity" by Dream Theater

Honestly, all of Dream Theater's albums are great. This album is great and has some purely epic songs in which I can't help, but to listen all over and over again. I read the history of this album and found out that it was an extremely tough time with their record label and Portnoy frustrated and wanting to leave. This was also Sherinian's first album and his kettle synth took me awhile to get, but now, I love it, as much as any other leads done by Moore or Rudess. Now, about the songs......

New Millennium is awesome. Myung rocks with his Chapman stick and although Labrie is SUPER hard to understand in this song, I still love it. The instrumental section in the middle kicks some solid ass.

You Not Me is another super catchy, lovable song. It has a nice chorus and I actually prefer this to You or Me. Desmond Child (may I dare say it?) has done an exceptional work with this song and I absolutely love everything about it.

Peruvian Skies is possibly one the most heartbreaking songs I've ever listened too. It is an extremely, extremely well written song that speaks to me in every level. The instrumentals is great, Petrucci is great, Labrie is godlike, hell...the whole song is of top quality.

Hollow Years is a nice ballad with an acoustic guitar. I absolutely love the Budokan version. Derek Sherinian is possibly my favorite in this song and the chorus is extremely well written. Petrucci's acoustic solo in the middle also gets to me every time.

Burning My Soul rocks on every single level. Myung's bass lick in the beginning is pure epicness followed by Sherinian's synth. Labrie sounds awesome here as he actually feels like he is one with the song. Portnoy's "Burning My Soul," echo is one of my favorite parts. Also, this song is my number three Sherinian solo in the middle. The ending and how it leads to Hell's Kitchen blows this song out of the water in more than one reason.

Hell's Kitchen is a sick, sick instrumental. The outro is what makes this song shine brighter than the song and Petrucci's solo is another reason this song gets me high ever single time I listen to it.

Lines in the Sand is a super strong epic and I love everything about this song. The guest vocals, Petrucci's insane solo, the trade between Sherinian and Portnoy, Myung's bass throughout, Labrie, the lyrics, there is so much I could point out!! This twelve minute epic is a real rocker and is one of Petrucci's most outstanding lyrics he has written.

Take Away My Pain is................AWESOME! I love Myung's bass in this song and the calm, cool atmosphere of this song makes it one of my favorite ballads in the whole history of Dream Theater. Petrucci's guitar solo is super short, but super concise, and I prefer this over the demo. The demo doesn't touch this song's superstar status.

Just Let Me Breathe is really catchy and is my most favorite unison between keyboards and guitars. I mean, wow! They play with amazing speed, but still make it flow perfectly! Pure awesome.

Anna Lee is another heartbreaking ballad and this song should shut the Sherinian critics up. Sherinian's piano gets me all the time and I actually want to cry during this song. This song's relationship between Peruvian Skies is basically like the relationship between Scarred and Learning to Live.

Trial of Tears. One of THE greatest keyboard solo's out there. I don't care much for the guitar solo, nor the lyrics, but dang, Sherinian and Myung!! Trial of Tears? Sherinian and Myung. Trial of Tears? Sherinian and Myung! Also, love the duet between Sherinian and Myung before Labrie comes in. And, the ending's: "It's raining! It's raining......also gets me everytime.

Overall, this album is really strong, that's why it made it to my top 50.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
you're just plain wrong about tamp  :corn

Offline jakepriest

the entire "FII is a good album" thing is wrong  :corn

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
of the 140 times a Dream Theater album has been mentioned in a top 50, this is the FIRST for FII

aside from The Astonishing which was just released this year, FII was the only DT album to not appear in a top 50 before this
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
It appeared in my v1 :P

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
yes, but you updated your list
Winger would be better!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Fair enough, it wouldn't make my top 100 nowadays in any case :P

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
well, there you go  :lol
Winger would be better!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
of the 140 times a Dream Theater album has been mentioned in a top 50, this is the FIRST for FII

aside from The Astonishing which was just released this year, FII was the only DT album to not appear in a top 50 before this
to me it's pretty obvious this guy doesn't have a lot of music to pick from but ehh  :lol

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Paramas right.  :DD
I'm so lame that all dream theater albums make this list. :))
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline twosuitsluke

If I ever get my lame ass into gear and do a top 50 I think I'd only have 2 Dream Theater albums featured. Possibly 3, Octavarium may just squeeze in.

Offline 425

Yeah, I always wonder that with some top 50s. No offense to OP, because I know it takes time and effort to do this, but it is kind of clear that this is a top 50 out of a total collection of 150 albums or something like that. It's kind of a big contrast to the top 50s done by people who have sometimes multiple thousands of albums, because instead of the top 50 being the top 20, 30 or 40 percent, it's really the cream of the crop.

I have 275 albums, according to iTunes. Accounting for EPs, singles, live albums and the like, my top 50 would be probably the top 21 or 22 percent of my library—and personally that's not enough for me to want to do one at this time.

Even so, my top 50 would include maybe 5 or 6 DT albums at absolute maximum.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i probably didn't have enough albums when i did my first top 50 but even then the top 30-35 were all fantastic anyways so

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I always wonder that with some top 50s. No offense to OP, because I know it takes time and effort to do this, but it is kind of clear that this is a top 50 out of a total collection of 150 albums or something like that. It's kind of a big contrast to the top 50s done by people who have sometimes multiple thousands of albums, because instead of the top 50 being the top 20, 30 or 40 percent, it's really the cream of the crop.
This, with my first list I only had like 100 albums in my collection :lol

I hope to reach 1k before attempting a v3.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Wow, that's a lot of albums!!

Seriously though, I find Dream Theater to be THAT great. Besides TA and WDADU, I find all their albums to be real hits for me. That's one of the MAJOR, MAJOR factors why Dream Theater is my new favorite band.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline 425

I totally understand the feeling, and I also love most of Dream Theater's albums. For me, though, it's been that I've discovered tons of other bands with similarly high quality of work throughout their discographies and some albums that are as good as my favorite DT albums. So for me it's not a matter of not liking some of DT's albums, it's just that there are a lot of albums I like by a lot of bands that crowd out DT's albums in my top whatever.

The only list I've ever done was a top 30 that I never did writeups for or posted, and it came before my roulette so it's hopelessly out of date. But I put three Dream Theater albums on there, only because I really thought that there were 27 other albums that I like at least as well as I like my #3 and #4 DT albums.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline twosuitsluke

Well according to my iPod there is 1649 albums on it at the moment. Picking a top 50 is hard  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I had way over 1000 to choose from for my v3, so I even imposed the rule of a maximum of one album per artist. Even if I hadn't, I guess there would only have been 2 or 3 artists on the list with 2 albums instead of 1.

But it's a nice start I guess, and a good thing to evaluate the music you like, however little or much there is in your collection.

Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey