Author Topic: HVAC Issues and Suggestions  (Read 1935 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
HVAC Issues and Suggestions
« on: June 09, 2016, 08:17:23 AM »
I'm still a relatively new home owner so dealing with problems in my house is often a new learning experience from me (did my first toilet repair last week, lawn work is something I'm getting better with...).  Anyway, now that it's getting pretty hot out, I cranked up my AC Sunday morning and it wasn't long before I started smelling something chemically, chlorine like.  Anyway, confirmed it was coming from the central air unit.  Turned it off and I'm all good and no longer light headed. 

So I called the number that was on my unit from when I purchased the house (Gold Medal Service) and a guy came out yesterday.  After about 30 minutes of discussing and looking at my unit (and giving me a lesson on the basics of how it all works) he told me the smell is the coolant which is leaking onto the coils.  My unit is 18 years old and he said it's not worth an attempted fix due to it's age and the fact that since the coolant has gotten onto the coils, it's likely going to need a lot more work than just sealing the leak.  His recommendation is to get a new unit.  My inspector when I purchased the house told me the HVAC was the first major project I would need on my house due to it's age.

So I'm guessing that is probably necessary, but wondering if the other home owners with some experience have any thoughts or ideas on this since I'm just learning about this and not looking to get screwed.  I read some reviews on this company and they are either extremely positive or extremely negative so I have no idea how to take that.

Also, my unit is a Lennox which the guy stated is what they install (I guess the contractors are licensed to only install certain brands) and he stated that was likely how it worked for 18 years.  There is a large part of me that wants to just continue with this even if it costs a bit more because I trust the old lady who owned the house before me as she kept everything in great shape, but of course, I don't want to get screwed and who knows if she was taken advantage of.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: HVAC Issues and Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 08:30:38 AM »
18 years?

I would get a new one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 09:28:23 AM »
18 years?

I would get a new one.

Yea, it's lasted past it's life.  Many of the negative reviews of this company said they often try to push a new unit on you, and while I can see that often not being the best solution, I feel like it probably is for me given the life of this.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 11:19:10 AM »
IF....you have a home warranty, and IF you've had the home less than a year, check with this first.  MAYBE you are covered (assuming it is an indoor unit).  Regardless, it is way past time for a new one.  Hopefully, when negotiating the purchase price, the A/C was an item discussed that lowered the cost.

Cost for repairs are better served on a new unit.  I would almost guarantee that you'll go through the same problems in less than six months.  Best of luck.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 12:06:37 PM »
Thanks, figured a temp fix would just lead me to the same situation shortly after. 

My 1 year home warranty is long expired and that included my one year service plan on the HVAC that came with my house.  The old unit itself was not a negotiation point because we already got the lady to drop her asking price by 20k plus another 1k from a couple minor issues we found on the closing date (not related to the HVAC).

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 12:31:47 PM »
18 years?

I would get a new one.

yup, you're on borrowed time for probably the last couple of years. 

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 12:43:01 PM »
18 years?

I would get a new one.

yup, you're on borrowed time for probably the last couple of years.

This 100%. Do not waste money on just a repair. It is a band aid on a cut artery.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »
Thanks guys, that I knew and am definitely not repairing this (I don't think it would even be a quick and cheap repair anyway according to the tech so that was never really on the table). 

Was just wondering if any other home owners had preferences to brands and tips for a new system?  I have the sales guy coming tomorrow from Gold Medal and they sell Lennox which is the high end.  Is that a waste to get something that good?  I'm thinking of going with it because I read good reviews and while maybe expensive, it's kind of a get what you pay for.

I also have my solar panels being installed next week so I'm looking forward to saving lots of energy and being a bit more green.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 01:03:17 PM »
If you plan on being in the house you just purchased for about 10 years, my experience is do not skimp on quality. That said, if you are going solar. I will be honest and not sure how that ties in to the HVAC. Just out of curiosity did you have a home inspection done before you purchased? If you did and it was not working or if they did not test it, you may be able to get "some" restitution from them. Depends on what was in the contract you had with the home inspection company. Hope it works out!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 01:10:43 PM »
If you plan on being in the house you just purchased for about 10 years, my experience is do not skimp on quality. That said, if you are going solar. I will be honest and not sure how that ties in to the HVAC. Just out of curiosity did you have a home inspection done before you purchased? If you did and it was not working or if they did not test it, you may be able to get "some" restitution from them. Depends on what was in the contract you had with the home inspection company. Hope it works out!

AC uses power so going solar is cheaper power for me (based on my setup) so a more energy efficient unit plus cheaper power to the house equals lots of power cost savings (in theory).

Yea, the guy asked how long I plan on staying.  It's hard to tell, Im a single guy so I have no reason to leave now, but if I were to find a girl and start a family this is not the house I'd like to keep as it's small.  But I can say I don't see myself leaving in 5 years and if in 5 years I am still single then 10 years in this house seems likely.  I like where I live and its only a few miles from where I grew up.  The same question went into the solar panel install as well, 5 years seems guaranteed but 10 years is really hard to predict.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 01:14:27 PM »
Gotya. Sounds like you know the answer. My only thing, and where I was going with how the solar works with the HVAC, is do you need a specific compatible system. Again, just something that popped into my mind.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 02:18:02 PM »
Gotya. Sounds like you know the answer. My only thing, and where I was going with how the solar works with the HVAC, is do you need a specific compatible system. Again, just something that popped into my mind.

hmm no idea, but I would say no.  The solar panels just replace 98% of the power consumed from the utility company, it's the same type of power being generated just from a different source.  I will still be connected to the grid to consume that remaining 2% and whatever else I may use in the future or if say the sun doesn't come out for awhile.  They used the summer AC months as an example of where I would really be saving money.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 02:46:25 PM »
Ok. Sounds like from what you said there would be no compatibility problem. Then IMHO, it just comes down to the choice you make on the HVAC. It again comes down to what you can afford or want to spend. You can not go wrong with Lennox. Best of luck again dude.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 03:09:07 PM »
Thanks, glad to hear someone else say Lennox is good.

I don't know the pricing, I will find out tomorrow if I can actually afford this, but they offer financing options which I should be able to do so we shall see what happens.  Hopefully they can get it replaced fairly quickly since I've been lucky that the last couple days have been cooler but its going to get hot and humid again very soon

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 04:11:16 PM »
LIke I said, do what you can afford and what you think will last while you are there. Also look at the contract/warranty they offer.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 04:14:09 PM »
Goodman and Trane are good but a bit more expensive. I did Trane for my Florida house 2 months ago and about 5 years ago did Lennox before I sold my Jersey house. The Trane in Florida gets more use and I will have that house at least 10 -15years.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:25:37 PM by The Trooper »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 05:58:10 PM »
Thank you for the advice, appreciate it!

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 06:10:10 PM »
Nothing is perfect hope it helps dude. Best of luck. Home ownership is great but a pain in the ass LOL

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 11:34:44 AM »
18 years? You should donate it to an HVAC museum. Mine was 14 years old, and it was ancient by today's standards too. I just dropped about 38k on a new AC/Furnace system two weeks ago. They can be purchased for much less. Just an AC will probably run you 5-8k. My unit now recaptures more than 80 percent of the energy it uses and precools (or prewarms) the air coming into the unit. It also is equipped with smart technology throughout the house and cools or warms rooms separately based on human activity.

Despite whatever great system you buy, it won't be worth a damn unless it is installed properly. Get a few estimates. Talk to them about their service training, and technicians. Having the service agreement folks come out for certain things is fine. But NOT for a new HVAC.  Those companies are paid a flat fee through the service contract companies. They have to make their money somehow, and most do so through cutting their cost on installation. Be smart. You don't want a system you buy now that is constantly being repaired, doesn't provide the comfort it was designed to do, or breaks down right about the time your service agreement expires.

And don't buy a contractor grade system just to save cost. Again, you get what you pay for.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 04:03:45 PM »
Went with the top end unit they offered. Fuck it, the efficiency and sweet thermostat app sold me. Plus 0% financing.

So got the AC unit and the furnace, plus a UV light and going to get a duct cleaning. Cost was 11k for everything.

Also they confirmed solar panels will have no effect other than saving me money on power.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 06:50:48 AM »
Awesome.  Glad it turned out OK.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 05:13:56 PM »
Thanks, work started at 8am and finished around 4:30pm.  I think these guys did a great job removing the old, keeping the place clean, and working hard.  The AC is working great, house is cold, and unit is operable from my phone.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:11:07 AM by cramx3 »

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 09:11:11 PM »
Sweet
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2016, 07:15:22 AM »
A guy came by this morning before I went to work to start the duct cleaning and I got the model # of the filter (which of all the things replaced, this was not) so I'll grab a new one from home depot on my way home today and then I will be done.

What was awesome was as I was sleeping last night, I got warm, and from my bed through my phone I turned down the AC. 

Also the guy noticed I made a picture of Iron Maiden from the concert a couple months ago as my screen saver of the thermostat, he was very impressed since he didn't even know that was a feature.  And one of the installers yesterday couldn't stop commenting about how awesome my Iron Maiden flags were in my basement.  Dealt with 5 different people from the company this week and all 5 were really awesome.  Very surprised this contractors was upfront and honest and easy to work with (told me not to buy that filter from them due to their price vs. amazon/home depot).  Very professional.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 06:41:46 AM »
 :tup