Author Topic: RIP Muhammad Ali  (Read 1062 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
RIP Muhammad Ali
« on: June 03, 2016, 10:24:27 PM »
Float Like A Butterfly and Sting Like A Bee

Without him, would boxing have become a popular sport to the degree that it did? Sad to see
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: RIP Muhammad Ali
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 10:33:12 PM »
I remember the insane moment when he appeared at the top of the staircase to light the olympic torch in '96. Holyfield had carried it for the last lap and was a hometown favorite, so everyone assumed he was gonna finish the job, but to see Ali's trembling form pretty much humbled the world in an instant. A legend in and out of the ring....

RIP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 11:03:53 PM »
I remember watching that with a couple friends. One of them said "tuck in your shirt, dude." It cracked us up, mainly because he was serious, he was that kind of guy. Now when I see that iconic image, that's all I can think of.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 11:14:45 PM »
I can't say I know too much about him other than that he had the reputation as the greatest fighter of all time.  However, one thing stood out to me.  The phrase "Ali Bomaye" which meant "Ali kill him" which was what the crowd chanted, from what I've read, when he fought George Foreman in The Rumble in the Jungle in Kinshasa.  The only reason how I really know all about this was that Japanese wrestler Shinsuke Nakamura (former New Japan Pro Wrestling star, now is in WWE) named his finisher Bomaye which is this devastating knee-strike to the face. 

Nakamura used to be under something called "Inoki-Ism" which is the mentality that NJPW founder Antonio Inoki had to enforce that his style of fighting (which he pushes on his NJPW guys back then) was the best of all fighting (hence, NJPW's tag-name is the King of Sports).  Inoki faced Ali in Japan in 1976 in something that was poorly received for both guys.  I believe Nakamura named his move Bomaye to spite Inoki (since the guy did literally send someone to the ring and beat the living crap out of Nakamura and Inoki for all the good he did for NJPW, sent the company in a huge downward spiral in the mid-2000s, forcing him to leave the company.)

Anywho, R.I.P Ali.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 11:22:42 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 11:15:33 PM »
What a legend and what a fighter in life! RIP.

Have you guys watched that Ali animated series back in the 70's?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 12:02:49 AM »
In one motherfucker of a coincidence, I'm halfway through the HBO Thrilla in Manila documentary when I pause it to fix a drink and notice that he'd died. Nice that it happens I'm already appreciating the man when news breaks of his demise. Ali/Frazier is quite possibly the most intense sports rivalry to ever take place, and one helluva story. And also quite likely a contributing factor in Ali's death. SJF really beat the shit out of that man on numerous occasions.

That said, I'm a Frazier man through and through. I was far more saddened when he died than I am now. Ali was a helluva fighter and I'm pretty cool with him, but I don't hold for him the degree of reverence that most people now expect. Honestly, I'm not at all looking forward to the days of mourning we have ahead. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 12:15:10 AM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 04:16:59 AM »
I remember the insane moment when he appeared at the top of the staircase to light the olympic torch in '96. Holyfield had carried it for the last lap and was a hometown favorite, so everyone assumed he was gonna finish the job, but to see Ali's trembling form pretty much humbled the world in an instant. A legend in and out of the ring....

I was 9 years old when this happened, and it was my first exposure to Muhammad Ali. Even before I knew who he was, he carried himself like a great man.

RIP to the Greatest of All Time

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 06:48:38 AM »
A true legend.

RIP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 07:20:53 AM »
A legendary, influential man, in many regards.

R.I.P.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 04:48:42 PM »
legend!!

RIP

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 01:42:55 PM »
He was The Greatest

RIP

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 05:22:13 AM »
A true legend. He accomplished so many things outside of the ring, which will be his true legacy.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.