Author Topic: Pigs in a blanket  (Read 5777 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Pigs in a blanket
« on: June 03, 2016, 09:01:19 AM »
I was discussing pigs in a blanket with Mrs C. and Jr's dad the other day.  He has a completely different idea of what pigs in a blanket are vs. what I think they are.  Without me pushing anyone in a specific direction here, I'll just ask this.  If you had to explain to someone what "pigs in a blanket" are, what would you tell them?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Pigs in a blanket
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 09:06:19 AM »
I was discussing pigs in a blanket with Mrs C. and Jr's dad the other day.  He has a completely different idea of what pigs in a blanket are vs. what I think they are.  Without me pushing anyone in a specific direction here, I'll just ask this.  If you had to explain to someone what "pigs in a blanket" are, what would you tell them?

Mini-cocktail wieners wrapped in a dough (ala Pillsbury croissant dough) and baked until golden brown.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
A (usually small) sausage wrapped in bacon. Normally have them at Christmas. I'm in the UK btw.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 09:08:52 AM »
A (usually small) sausage wrapped in bacon.
This was my understanding also.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 09:12:06 AM »
In Germany, it's a sausage in dough, along with with some sauce, typically tomato.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »
Miniature hot dogs wrapped in some sort of filo dough, and baked at 375F for 12-16 minutes.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 09:12:40 AM »

Where I'm from, we call that bacon-wrapped sausage.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 09:15:04 AM »
I might be wrong, havent used the term in awhile, but I thought it was sausage wrapped in pancakes. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »

Where you're from, you also call an oven a toaster, so maybe sit this one out. :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 09:48:03 AM »

Where you're from, you also call an oven a toaster, so maybe sit this one out. :neverusethis:
So wait, you Aussies call a toaster an oven? What do you call an oven? A dishwasher?

And Stadler has posted the best description. Dead on, in fact, even in completely different parts of the country.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 09:49:51 AM »
He's busting Chino's balls for calling a convection oven (aka a toaster oven) a toaster.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 09:52:20 AM »
So wait, you Aussies call a toaster an oven? What do you call an oven? A dishwasher?

We actually don't have any of these things in Australia. We prepare all food over an open campfire, and wash our dishes in the local billabong. But what you call bullfrogs, we call chazzwazzers.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 09:59:02 AM »
Deleted.  Comment made in poor taste.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:43:57 PM by vtgrad »
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 10:00:07 AM »

I hate you  :lol :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 10:00:24 AM »
He's busting Chino's balls for calling a convection oven (aka a toaster oven) a toaster.
Convection ovens =/ toaster ovens. But neither of them are actually toasters, which is a specific device built for only one purpose.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 10:02:13 AM »
Convection ovens =/ toaster ovens. But neither of them are actually toasters, which is a specific device built for only one purpose.

Which was the exact point of that conversation (which I can't remember the thread it came from), that neither of those things are a "toaster".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 10:13:42 AM »
Mini-cocktail wieners wrapped in a dough (ala Pillsbury croissant dough) and baked until golden brown.
Boom, that's it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 10:23:52 AM »
:iagree:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 10:27:14 AM »

People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 10:28:33 AM »
Boom, that's it.

Yup.

We actually don't have any of these things in Australia. We prepare all food over an open campfire, and wash our dishes in the local billabong. But what you call bullfrogs, we call chazzwazzers.

Don't forget you eat with a large knife.  No that's not a .......

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 10:40:11 AM »

I have seen it primarily used to refer to either of two dishes, and which one depends on context:
-In the appetizer context, I have always seen it refer to what Stadler posted above:  cocktail wieners or other small sausages wrapped in dough.
-In the breakfast context, I have always seen it refer to breakfast sausage (links, not patties) rolled in pancakes.

I remember seeing the breakfast version as far back as the early '70s when I was a small kid.  I don't think I saw the appetizer version until the '80s or so.  But both are fairly ubiquitous.

I am so hungry right now...

EDIT:  Wikipedia basically agrees (if you look at the "U.S." section):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigs_in_blankets   I mean, is this actually a big controversy?  Is there some third world country somewhere where children are staving because they don't know how to order pigs in a blanket correctly and getting served test tubes of ebola instead of sausages wrapped in some sort of buttery carby goodness?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:49:23 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 10:50:35 AM »
I mean, is this actually a big controversy?  Is there some third world country somewhere where children are staving because they don't know how to order pigs in a blanket correctly and getting served test tubes of ebola instead of sausages wrapped in some sort of buttery carby goodness?

:rollin :rollin :rollin
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 11:02:49 AM »
I mean, is this actually a big controversy?  Is there some third world country somewhere where children are staving because they don't know how to order pigs in a blanket correctly and getting served test tubes of ebola instead of sausages wrapped in some sort of buttery carby goodness?

I considered waiting a little longer to see what other results may come of it, but basically my description was what has been offered here, Stadler giving the most appropriate description, in my opinion.  Jr's dad insists that pigs in a blanket are sausages wrapped in cabbage.  At least around here, where he grew up (central PA, with its heavy "PA Dutch" (Germanic) influence), that's what it meant, until it was bastardized to mean cocktail weenies in croissant dough.  The funny part about that is I asked his sister, who isn't too far from his age, and she had never heard of the cabbage wrapped version either.  I suggested that 99% of the people you ask would look at you like you had two heads if you suggested that "pigs in a blanket" involved cabbage in any way.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 11:13:47 AM »
Bosk1.  Food is serious business.

Dammit. Now reading your post I'm hungy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 11:14:59 AM »
I suggested that 99% of the people you ask would look at you like you had two heads if you suggested that "pigs in a blanket" involved cabbage in any way.

Happy to be a 99%-er.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2016, 11:22:26 AM »
Jr's dad insists that pigs in a blanket are sausages wrapped in cabbage.  At least around here, where he grew up (central PA, with its heavy "PA Dutch" (Germanic) influence), that's what it meant, until it was bastardized to mean cocktail weenies in croissant dough.  The funny part about that is I asked his sister, who isn't too far from his age, and she had never heard of the cabbage wrapped version either.  I suggested that 99% of the people you ask would look at you like you had two heads if you suggested that "pigs in a blanket" involved cabbage in any way.
What the actual fuck
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 11:23:34 AM »
The fact that cabbage was even mentioned in this thread has ruined my weekend.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 11:25:29 AM »
I concede that around here, it may very well HAVE been a thing many years ago, with the heavy Germanic presence in central PA.  But even then, I'm saying no.

:rollin

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 11:27:04 AM »
A wild boar wrapped in foil on a spit  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »

What if it was sausage wrapped in lettuce?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 11:36:00 AM »
Coz, just for you. Wait for the lettuce.

https://youtu.be/aph-EzkfKPA

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2016, 11:39:14 AM »

What if it was sausage wrapped in lettuce?

Equally horrible.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2016, 11:52:33 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 12:34:05 PM »
I concede that around here, it may very well HAVE been a thing many years ago, with the heavy Germanic presence in central PA.  But even then, I'm saying no.
The area of North Carolina I am originally from also has a heavy Germanic presence.  Lots of Lutherans, lots of German names (including mine).

I still have never heard that description.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »
I might be wrong, havent used the term in awhile, but I thought it was sausage wrapped in pancakes.

Dis^
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon