Author Topic: How is Amazon Prime, if at all, impacting the way you shop?  (Read 1259 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I find myself ordering more and more every day items off of Amazon. Part of me feels lazy and guilty for doing it, and the other part of me thinks it's awesome and is thrilled that I don't have to stand in line and talk to someone who asks me for my email address and/or phone number.

I just ordered deodorant, toothpaste, dish soap, and beef jerky on the internet, and it will be at my door before I get home from work tomorrow.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
Re: How is Amazon Prime, if at all, impacting the way you shop?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 01:00:38 PM »
It's amazing. The free shipping is wonderful let alone the amazing prices Amazon offers. Baby stuff is so much cheaper and easier there, don't have to worry about if one store carries one brand vs another. Diapers, wipes, anything...all to the doorstep in two days.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 01:05:24 PM »
I hate how much I love Amazon prime.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 01:10:52 PM »
The biggest effect it's had on me is availability of items not otherwise available locally. I try as much as I can to purchase locally to support my community even if I have to pay as much as 20% more. Yet time and time again I can't find someone selling what I need or want until I hit Amazon. It's especially convenient for all the filters in my house (from furnace to water filters in various fridges), Amazon automatically notifies me when it's time to buy replacements.

Internet purchasing, over all, has really enhanced my ability to fix the things I own rather than replace them. Need a new beater bar for my Dyson vacuum? No one in town is going to have one, at least not in my town, but hop on Dyson's website and two days later it's at my door. Same thing with parts for my 2003 car. The expensive faucet in the kitchen, my Sun Mountain golf club cart, our Fisher-Paykel dishwasher, cushion covers for our patio furniture, our fridge, my ice-cream freezer, and countless other things haven't needed to be replaced because I can simply replace a part!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 01:17:36 PM »
I dont use Amazon Prime so it hasn't changed anything for me.  I used the free month trial and my order never came (well it did, about 3 weeks after the tracking said it was delivered and I had already gotten my money back) so I cancelled since my one and only experience was terrible (minus I got some free stuff at the end).  I don't think that is the norm, but I also feel like if I kept Prime, I'd be buying shit I don't need.  If I need it, I can wait a week with the free shipping or go to the store, the A&P down the street has better prices and quality of food anyway.  It makes tons of sense if you live in NYC though as prices in the groceries stores are ridiculous.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 01:21:23 PM »
Amazon prime is amazing, you get movies and shows, music, two day shipping, amazing customer service, great discounts on several categories, will almost price match everything. I  think I order something or the other from them every week.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 01:24:14 PM »
Amazon prime is amazing, you get movies and shows, music, two day shipping, amazing customer service, great discounts on several categories, will almost price match everything. I  think I order something or the other from them every week.

I've placed 62 orders so far in 2016, most of which consisted of more than one item. So I order something at least every three days.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 06:37:08 PM »
Amazon has really changed the way I shop. I have same day delivery in my area so if I need something and I'm feeling lazy I'll just order it and bam it's here.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »
I think this thread will cost me about $80. (or whatever the fuck Prime cost)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 08:52:29 PM »
For as much as I have spent on amazon over the years (and for it being in my backyard), the idea of Prime hasn't appealed to me much. I buy things all the time, and I have never had a strong desire for anything to get to my house within a day or two. Maybe my needs are never that urgent.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 09:58:15 PM »
When I had it, I ordered things all the time. It's pretty hard to argue with free shipping. But I haven't had it for a few years and I find that I don't particularly miss it. And I spend less money.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 10:01:39 PM »
I always ordered enough to get the free shipping. But the minimum order amount keeps going up and up as they try and push people toward Prime.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 05:22:47 AM »
I was surprised to learn how many people use it all the time and my only thought is that I must have the wrong job or something because I do not have disposable income to be spending on Amazon every week. I buy stuff there maybe twice a year at most but I do hear the service is really good.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 08:25:49 AM »
My father recently commented about how a lot of the big stores along the highway we live off of have been empty and/or shutting down.  It's very much related to Amazon prime.  I'm open to getting it for real (not using the trial and cancelling like I did), but I have a very big fear of what some have said here, which is that I will spend more money than I should because it's so easy to purchase something on a whim, and I definitely have a problem with being a spontaneous purchaser as it is.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 01:16:17 PM »
It has definitely saved me quite a few trips to the store or mall. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 01:29:31 PM »
We have Prime. My wife orders a lot of stuff for work and the free shipping is great. One of my kids just bought a laptop and the other a desktop and saved a ton on shipping.
I also buy music pretty much exclusively at Amazon now. We have a Smart TV and can stream on it, but we really haven't used that feature.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 01:53:14 PM »
I also buy music pretty much exclusively at Amazon now. We have a Smart TV and can stream on it, but we really haven't used that feature.

Does prime have something special with digital downloads of music?  I use amazon for mp3s, but I was not aware of a prime benefit for this (unless you just mean shipment of CDs).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 02:54:14 PM »
Not that I know, but with Prime you can stream music. Not even sure how to use it! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 03:12:06 PM »
Not that I know, but with Prime you can stream music. Not even sure how to use it! :lol

:lol I'm not a big streamer so the music/tv streaming service by prime doesn't offer much to me.  I was curious if they had a discount on digital downloads or something though when you brought up music because that would spark my interest.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 03:22:41 PM »
No discount unfortunately. In fact, I think Amazon's prices just went up on mp3's.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 12:26:15 AM »
I dont use Amazon Prime so it hasn't changed anything for me.

Snipped post for the high point.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
I rarely find prices on items cheaper elsewhere, than on Amazon.  Amazon prime for us is an absolute no brainer.  It's extremely rare to NOT be able to find what I need on Amazon, on most everything, including everyday items.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 01:48:37 PM »
I love Prime, and have been a member for quite a few years now. Started as a student, when it was half price and cheaper to begin with, maybe $30 a year I think. I buy A LOT off of Amazon. Music, of course, which I have in droves, some TV series, movies, clothes, electronics, and all other sorts of odds and ends. Basically, if I don't need it the same day Amazon is basically the first place I go.

Last year I found out I could get a report of everything I've ever spent at Amazon, and my lord... big fucking number.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »
That's what scares me Nick.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2016, 08:04:24 AM »
That's what scares me Nick.

Same here since I can be an impulse buyer.  I have nothing against Prime, just feel like I will spend too much with it because of how easy and convenient it is.