Author Topic: Show on Netflix to binge this summer?  (Read 10129 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Show on Netflix to binge this summer?
« on: June 01, 2016, 08:45:07 PM »
I get done with school in 5 days and I want to binge a show. I have netflix so it's gotta be on there. And I'm already watching Orange is the New Black so don't recommend that.

My wife watches Grace and Frankie, and I do find that funny, but it's more up her alley.

We also watched the first episode of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmitt and liked that and may watch that eventually, but we are going to watch a few episodes of OITNB to catch ourselves up before the new season begins.

And of course everyone talks about House of Cards. I have still not watched it. And I probably need to.

Maybe there's something else on there I need to watch.

Let me know, please!
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: Show on Netflix to binge this summer?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 08:56:11 PM »
Specifically Netflix original shows, or anything? I'm in the middle of season 1 of Bloodline, and I really enjoy it.

I also recommend

Narcos
Jessica Jones
Daredevil
The Ranch (Biased because I worked on a few episodes of this, but it is entertaining!)

Netflix also has some of my favorites streaming like Parks and Rec, Archer, The Blacklist, Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, The Flash, and Luther

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 12:01:10 AM »
Peaky Blinders is probably my number one recommendation. Sherlock, Bloodline, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil are good options as well.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 12:29:45 AM »
Seconding Peaky Blinders. Might be my favorite currently airing show, along with Sherlock.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 12:42:29 AM »
Almost stopped watching Netflix, it's HBO that have most of the shows i'm watching right now. Exceptions are Better Call Saul and Narcos.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 02:59:06 AM »
Another vote for Bloodline.

First season was excellent. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the next season in the next few days.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 03:49:32 AM »
Depends what sort of thing you like, but for me the best show ever is the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, which is all available on Netflix.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 06:25:46 AM »
House of Cards
Bloodline
Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Sons of Anarchy
Luther
Broadchurch
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 06:47:21 AM »
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline faizoff

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 08:21:46 AM »
Another one I'd like to add is a series I recently binged watched that is the UK series Black Mirror. A total of 7 episodes around 50 mins each apart from episode  7 which is a special and is I think 80 mins. It's a fantastic show set in the near future and shows technology's impact on daily regular lives with each episode taking on a different subject. It's a quicker watch through than most shows to complete.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 08:43:22 AM »
Another one I'd like to add is a series I recently binged watched that is the UK series Black Mirror. A total of 7 episodes around 50 mins each apart from episode  7 which is a special and is I think 80 mins. It's a fantastic show set in the near future and shows technology's impact on daily regular lives with each episode taking on a different subject. It's a quicker watch through than most shows to complete.
That one is on my list.  Haven't had time to watch it yet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »
I've been crushing Parks and Recreation lately. Really fun show.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 02:50:51 PM »
Depends what sort of thing you like, but for me the best show ever is the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, which is all available on Netflix.

There is a reboot of this?

We just cancelled netflix in my house, I can't keep up with shows anymore and I guess my brother doesn't want to pay for it (since it was his anyway).

Almost stopped watching Netflix, it's HBO that have most of the shows i'm watching right now. Exceptions are Better Call Saul and Narcos.

And this, because all of the shows I do keep up with are on HBO so I'd rather pay for HBO than Netflix. (my brother and I split the cable bill).

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 02:51:46 PM »
Bloodline is great. I went through both seasons in a weekend.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 02:54:18 PM »
Haven't started season 2 yet.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 03:37:23 PM »
Haven't started season 2 yet.

It's really good. I'm so glad I started watching it. Now, I have to wait who knows how long until season 3. It's the first show with just humans in it that I've watched in quite a while. So much so that I kept expecting something else to happen.  :lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 08:26:33 AM »
The X Files. I'm halfway through season 3 and I'm loving it so far. I heard it drops in quality in the later seasons but its pretty great right now.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »
Peaky Blinders. Great actors, great music, interesting setting and the third season was just released. I may have to take a break from Sopranos to watch the new season.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 07:41:04 AM »

There is a reboot of this?
As in, the version from the 2000s, rather than the original from the 1980s.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 05:08:21 PM »

What's the gist of the show? Can you describe it without ruining anything major? I've seen some adds and trailers and am on the fence of pulling the trigger...I'm already swamped with stuff.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »
It takes place in the Florida Keys. It's about a renowned family knee deep in secrets. They try and keep things on the straight and narrow but their black sheep brother returns home for a special weekend. His actions start to affect everyone around him. Just when they think they're in the clear, things get worse.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 02:11:50 AM »
It takes place in the Florida Keys. It's about a renowned family knee deep in secrets. They try and keep things on the straight and narrow but their black sheep brother returns home for a special weekend. His actions start to affect everyone around him. Just when they think they're in the clear, things get worse.

^ What Prog Snob said. It's centered around Danny, the "black sheep" character, and whether or not he's turned his life around after many years living away from the family. Each of the siblings has their own issues, but their relationship with Danny gets more and more involved as the series progresses.

Watched the first episode of Season 2 last night. Looks like it's shaping up to be great.  :tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 05:28:58 AM »

^ What Prog Snob said. It's centered around Danny, the "black sheep" character, and whether or not he's turned his life around after many years living away from the family. Each of the siblings has their own issues, but their relationship with Danny gets more and more involved as the series progresses.

Watched the first episode of Season 2 last night. Looks like it's shaping up to be great.  :tup

Danny is my favorite character in the show. Ben Mendelsohn does a brilliant job playing the multi-layered role. However, I was enamored seeing Jacinda Barrett. I would much rather hear her Australian accent, though.  :)

Back to Ben Mendelsohn - I am trying to figure out where I know him from. I looked through his filmography and television appearances and nothing looks familiar. I'm baffled.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 06:09:40 AM »
Jacinda Barrett, yes, very watchable, very watchable indeed..  :biggrin:

You're not thinking of Star Wars: Rogue One, are you? He's going to be in that..

Wow - didn't remember this one myself, but Google tells me he was also in the Dark Knight Rises: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Z35jZ1LEo

Agreed that he does a terrific job in the role as Danny..

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 06:18:01 AM »
Jacinda Barrett, yes, very watchable, very watchable indeed..  :biggrin:

You're not thinking of Star Wars: Rogue One, are you? He's going to be in that..

Wow - didn't remember this one myself, but Google tells me he was also in the Dark Knight Rises: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Z35jZ1LEo

Agreed that he does a terrific job in the role as Danny..

No, I don't like Star Wars so I wouldn't have seen anything in regards to that. I could have just seen him something years ago and it stuck in my memory.

In my opinion, Jacinda Barrett was the prettiest Real World member out of all the seasons.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 06:20:39 AM »
Have to say i'm pretty hooked on Bloodline, started watching the first couple of episodes and they didn't really do anything for me but things start to progress nicely after a while. I think the actors are playing a family really great, all those everyday or intimate family moments between the siblings and the mother and father seems very authentic though I felt the father was being a bit to stiff at times but that might just be the character he's portraying.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 06:34:28 AM »
The father's role doesn't impress me too much either. Sissy Spacey is doing phenomenal. I'm not a huge fan of hers but I have to give her credit when it's due.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 06:39:55 AM »
Didn't know her before or her work but she's great in the show.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 06:46:27 AM »
Sissy Spacek? Did you ever see the original Carrie?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 06:48:49 AM »
Didn't know her before or her work but she's great in the show.

Me either. Plus Linda Cardellini is a lot better in this than the only other thing I've seen her in  :lol:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2016, 07:00:14 AM »
Had no idea that was her besides it's not a movie i've seen much or enjoy even though it's a classic.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2016, 07:02:09 AM »
Seconding Peaky Blinders. Might be my favorite currently airing show, along with Sherlock.

The only problem being that there is NINE episodes TOTAL.

They're 90 minutes each but still. You could easily watch all 9 episodes in a day.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2016, 07:08:48 AM »
Had no idea that was her besides it's not a movie i've seen much or enjoy even though it's a classic.

I figured you were, at the very least, familiar with the movie.  :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2016, 07:11:36 AM »

I figured you were, at the very least, familiar with the movie.  :)
Yea i'm familiar but i'm just bad at actor names, especially if it's movies i'm not that interested in.  :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2016, 01:13:12 PM »
That whole end scenario of episode 11 of Bloodline when Danny went on a boat ride with Janey had me on the edge, I felt horrible for John.