Author Topic: Emotionally Hardened?  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
Emotionally Hardened?
« on: May 31, 2016, 10:17:04 PM »
Is it normal for me to be emotionally hardened? I've forgotten how to cry quite a while ago and I have lost loved one's. Is it normal to not cry over it?

I used to be a bawler. Every single thing made me cry such as sad movies, a minor injury, being yelled at, being insulted, watching an ant die, etc. Yes, I used to cry over every thing.

But, I've learned to emotionally harden myself. When my sister (whom I was extremely, extremely close too) passed away at the age of 8 in a car crash, my parents and friends at her funeral cried like a baby, but I just watched the coffin and didn't cry, didn't even shed a single tear.

When my friend asked me why I wasn't crying, I replied with, "I've forgotten how to cry. I am really sad about her death, but I can't cry anymore."

I was shocked I was saying that and so was my friend.

Is it weird to not cry anymore?
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Emotionally Hardened?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 11:12:12 PM »
You killed your brother and tried to take over his kingdom while enslaving your nephew. NO ONE FEELS SORRY FOR YOU, SCAR!

Just kidding. Scar is awesome.

I mean...Yeah it's fuckin' weird, man.

Maybe you should talk to a therapist or something. We all get over emotional sometimes, and on the opposite end, emotionally numb. No matter what, you're not "emotionally hardened". Emotions don't just 'harden' or go away. They get buried, pushed down, twisted, distorted...whatever other synonyms you can think of. But they're there. I'm guessing you've got more shit going on that's affecting you. I'm certainly not qualified nor is anyone else here... Small talk and discussion is one thing but if you're that far gone you should probably seek professional help if you're truly worried and want to change. Sounds shitty but it's what I had to accept and do after I got like that and much, much worse in other aspects. Being unemotional is one thing but not crying over a very close family member/loved one is a whole other bag of shit.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:46:43 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 02:35:59 AM »
Not everyone cries when experiencing sadness. I'm guessing you're in your teens? If so, it's extremely common to experience emotions very differently during that period. If you're still feeling sadness but it's not manifesting in tears, I think that's quite normal. You may well find that as you get into your twenties, that sort of thing comes back.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 05:07:49 AM »
Sorry, I accidentally posted in the wrong thread, though I do have something to add here.

Everybody is different in regards to expressing their emotions. You might be going through a phase where your sister's death affected you in such a profound way that you're in a state of disbelief. I feel like one day it'll hit you really hard and will reopen that sensitivity you once had. I could be wrong, but it's not unfounded.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 08:39:07 AM »
I suspect I have Asperger's Syndrome, so I usually don't cry either.  I barely cried over my dad's death, but I wasn't close to him.  I cried a little more when my cat died.  I cried a little bit when my mom was diagnosed with cancer, just because it was more shit in a year full of shit.  But life goes on, and work is a good distraction from personal problems.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 09:27:15 AM »
I am a crier, and get made fun of for it by my family all the time (actually, when I got married the kids - my daughter and three new step kids - were betting WHEN, not if, I would cry at the ceremony.  I didn't and my new wife was all nervous.  Hahaha!).

It's not really "whether you cry or not", but it is whether you appropriately - for YOU - process those emotions.  You cannot bottle them in and ignore them.  The human mind is resilient and they WILL come out at some point, and you need to be ahead of that. 

My ex-wife was a widow when I met her in '97, and she STILL hasn't fully processed his loss, and she is a train-wreck as a result.

Deal with the emotions your way, don't worry about how other people handle them.   But make sure you DO deal with them.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 01:53:20 PM »
Crying is for women.

You don't need to cry to mourn.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 05:46:33 PM »
I am not sure if it was the excessively neglectfully and violent childhood or just growing older and realizing how cruel and heartless the world can really be, but yeah I would definitely say that I am emotionally hardened.

I don't feel very much anymore, or at the very least rarely do. And it definitely was not always like this. Just slowly desensitized over time.

At this point in the game, when something bad or even terrible happens, I just feel like "yeah, that's life. bad things happen" and go on from there. It just doesn't surprise me that much anymore. And I'm not advocating this at all, it just is what it is.

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 05:48:51 PM »
Crying is for women.

While the latter is certainly true, the former is a rather sexist statement.

To Scar, I'll echo the previous suggestions to talk to a therapist. I don't know if you've ever spoken with one before but it's not as daunting as you might imagine it to be, given the general stigma against seeking mental health (at least here in the US, though that has been improving in recent years).  You're essentially having a conversation like you're doing on here, except with someone with far more qualifications and resources that can guide you towards what you're searching for.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 05:58:13 PM »
The older I get, the easier it is to get me to cry.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cable

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 06:01:37 PM »
I suspect I have Asperger's Syndrome, so I usually don't cry either.  I barely cried over my dad's death, but I wasn't close to him.  I cried a little more when my cat died.  I cried a little bit when my mom was diagnosed with cancer, just because it was more shit in a year full of shit.  But life goes on, and work is a good distraction from personal problems.

That doesn't mean you have higher level functioning Autism. I haven't lost my parents' yet, but my one grandma I was emotionless over. Other hit me in emotional waves. Some cat loses have impacted me, others have not. That is regardless of my age, but based on the level of closeness.

Crying is for women.

To Scar, I'll echo the previous suggestions to talk to a therapist. I don't know if you've ever spoken with one before but it's not as daunting as you might imagine it to be, given the general stigma against seeking mental health (at least here in the US, though that has been improving in recent years).  You're essentially having a conversation like you're doing on here, except with someone with far more qualifications and resources that can guide you towards what you're searching for.

Here here.

I cry when it comes and it's socially appropriate. So not at my job. But I've gotten misty/cried in my car, during movies, during conversations, and all sorts of other times.

You said it while I was typing! :metal If anything,  I too have become more in touch with the crying emotion so to speak as I have aged. If others view it as weak, so be it. If I am a women vs. a man based on outdated concepts, so be it. And vice versa too.

Emotions are relative to the person, and we all deal with them differently. However, if someone's ways of dealing with them are destructive, then it may not be good to keep ignoring it.
---

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 07:10:13 PM »

Yes. Just take away your beer.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 07:26:02 PM »

That just makes me angry.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »
Crying is for women.

Not only that, it's just flat out ignorant.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 11:48:19 AM »
I'm the opposite :P

I never used to blub but since i've had terrible depression - it happens at the drop of a hat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 11:53:49 AM »
Not everyone cries when experiencing sadness. I'm guessing you're in your teens? If so, it's extremely common to experience emotions very differently during that period. If you're still feeling sadness but it's not manifesting in tears, I think that's quite normal. You may well find that as you get into your twenties, that sort of thing comes back.
This is very true. I used to not be able to cry during my teens at all. But over the last several years, I started to be more sensitive about certain things.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 11:56:59 AM »

That just makes me angry.

Eventually you'll cry because you realize that I hid it in Blob's workboots.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 07:01:33 PM »
Interesting answers. Definitely helped me a lot. Thank you!

The thing is that, not crying, the experience has been really awesome. Call me heartless, cruel, or whatever, but I don't like crying. I once easily cried and it took forever to stop crying, but now since it's nearly impossible for me to cry, I love that feeling of my emotions not getting in the way.

Stadler, you talked about resilience and how my emotions will come racing back, but will it be possible to stop them? To bury the emotions and make sure they don't come up.

I've heard people say that when their parents were involved in a fatal accident, they didn't cry even though they weren't close to them. I don't why I think this, but I'd be pretty happy to not show emotions.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 07:09:43 PM »
Over time scars heal but you never forget.   The pain dulls but is always there.

Offline Cable

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 07:52:10 PM »

Stadler, you talked about resilience and how my emotions will come racing back, but will it be possible to stop them? To bury the emotions and make sure they don't come up.

The research shows that suppression actually increases the frequency of the unwanted thoughts and emotions. Escaping/avoidance often causes problems, and rarely solves problems.
---

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 01:23:01 AM »
Not crying doesn't mean you don't feel something. And not showing emotions might actually be good sometimes. But completely surpressing them isn't a good idea. Now I'm not a psychiatrist or something but from my own experience, when you surpress your emotions, especially in the case of sadness or loss, they just build up and someday everything comes out, probably then with a violent reaction and at totally the wrong time.

It's like drinking to forget, it works for a while but the outcome is always bad.

I was crying at every little thing until 16 or 17. Then some guys made fun of me being a crybaby. That hurt like hell and I completely stopped crying, no matter what happened. But because this didn't come naturally I forced myself to not cry. And the sideeffect was that I wasn't able to show emotions of any kind anymore and I wasn't able to deal with especially sadness and loss. Only in my midthirties I realised that this "a man shouldn't cry"-thing is complete bullshit and I started to let my emotions show again. Now I feel much better for it and I'm not ashamed to cry, for joy or for sadness.

I cried my heart out at the funeral of the grandfather of my wife, more than I cried for my own grandmother, and I cried in front of the whole church when my wife was led in by her father at our wedding. Even now, writing this and therefore thinking back, I could start to cry again.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 02:05:44 AM »
This is very true. I used to not be able to cry during my teens at all. But over the last several years, I started to be more sensitive about certain things.
Me, too. Especially since I joined college two years ago (wonder if there's connection hmm :justjen ). I don't know, some of us just don't know how to react to certain events and that's ok. I used to be really cold about everything and now I have water-y eyes even when watching sad movies (I almost cried on Inside Out, almost!).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 09:04:09 AM »

Well, "showing emotion" (for all the world to see) is not the same as "releasing emotion".  I'm a pretty stoic guy around my family and friends, and I am often turned to because I am the calm in the storm.   But I make sure there is release.   Sex.  Guitar.  My therapist.  Crying.   

It's not this simple or black and white, but as a thinking aide, you want to release them in measured ways that are in your control, as opposed to your subconscious saying "fuck that, it's gonna blow!" and beating your wife, or overdosing on drugs or shooting up a school.   Again, don't take this literally - I don't at all think that "by not crying" you're going to be a serial killer - but I'm painting a picture here.