Author Topic: Would You Break The Law If It Meant Saving Someone You Love?  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
If someone you loved was in danger and the only way to save them would be to break the law in some way (and I don't mean running a red light to get to them faster), would you do it?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Would You Break The Law If It Meant Saving Someone You Love?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 05:45:12 AM »
Of course. As long as it didn't involve taking other people's lives.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 05:46:06 AM »
If someone you loved was in danger and the only way to save them would be to break the law in some way (and I don't mean running a red light to get to them faster), would you do it?

Most likely, but it really all depends on the scenario and what law needs to be broken in order to save this life. If it's to save the life of my child, I'd be more inclined to do whatever it takes. If it's to save an older relative who likely doesn't have much more than a year left in them, I'd be much more hesitant. Would I smash in a window of a pharmacy to get a life saving drug? Without hesitation. Would I transport illegal narcotics across state lines in my ass? Definitely. Would I have a person secretly murdered to harvest their organs because they have a super rare/specific blood type? No.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 06:18:32 AM »

This.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 07:16:49 AM »

This.
Those, probably, while I'm here considering it in a relatively non-stressed environment.

But in the heat of the moment, who can say?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 07:55:33 AM »

This.
Those, probably, while I'm here considering it in a relatively non-stressed environment.

But in the heat of the moment, who can say?

Too much of a context-specific question, but I would say "yes".   By and large, I look at "laws" as applicable to all, but as a variable in a cost-benefit analysis.  I don't necessarily treat "laws" as "bad just because", but rather as establishing a consequence for my actions.  Not to say that I break laws all the time on the premise that "I accept the consequences" but that's how I look at them conceptually. 

So if I come home to find my family tied up in the living room, and the only way to save them is to kill their captor? Fuck yeah, to the extent I can't avoid it, his days are numbered.   In terms of stealing a drug to save my loved one, sure.  Wouldn't think twice, once I eliminated all other reasonable legal alternatives.   

I think the trick here is that I wouldn't actively put myself in that position, I would have to find myself in that position.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 09:57:26 AM »
If you come home to find your family tied up in the living room and kill their captor, would you actually be breaking any laws?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 11:23:46 AM »
If you come home to find your family tied up in the living room and kill their captor, would you actually be breaking any laws?

Maybe, maybe not.   But I wouldn't be debating it.   

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 11:31:04 AM »
I'm reading this thread right now because Nunzio has a Beretta pointed at my dog's head. So, I'd say, yes.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 11:48:39 AM »

Not in Missouri....

Immediate family (wife/kids) I doubt there's really anything I wouldn't do to save their lives. Parents and siblings....not far behind. Anyone past that point I'm probably weighing some options.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 12:43:17 PM »
Is this a hypothetical question, or are you looking for advice?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 01:02:58 PM »
I don't need to save someone to break laws, I do that anyway so yes, definitely but I'm not a violent person so not so sure I'd be able to kill someone honestly or hurt someone really bad unless it was a life or death scenario.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 03:39:09 PM »

Maybe, maybe not.   But I wouldn't be debating it.

Nope. Neither would I.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 04:56:10 PM »
I have no problem breaking the law to save someone I cared about. But my brain would probably be thinking about consequences and this would make me hesitate or not do it at all.

At the very least, I would try my best to incapacitate the threat.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 05:38:22 PM »
Is this a hypothetical question, or are you looking for advice?

Totally hypothetical. I don't need advice in this as my answer to question is a resounding yes.   ;)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 06:48:44 PM »
I was honestly wondering, because it seems that just about anyone would break the law in order to save a loved one, and most wouldn't hesitate.  The responses here indicate that.

Laws are artificial constructs, rules of behavior, generally meaningless in the big picture.  True, things like murder are illegal, but that's just a formalization of something that everyone would agree is morally wrong.  If you have to decide whether to kill somebody in order to save your wife/girlfriend/child/mom, the fact that it's illegal isn't going to be the deciding factor.

Given that, things like breaking into a pharmacy to get medicine for a sick child because you know it's there and you know it'll save him/her, that's a no-brainer.  Yeah, stealing is wrong too, but hey, I'll pay them back later.

Things like speeding to get your mom to the hospital, even less of an issue.  I don't even care if the cops chase me with sirens blaring.  They can follow me and I'll explain it all after we get to the E.R.  Some sign or dude with a badge telling me I "can't" go faster than a certain speed means absolutely zip to me.  Right now, I'm going as fast as I can.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 06:28:53 AM »
I would do anything to save someone I love and that includes taking a life.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask