Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83063 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Sacul's alternate favorites list (starts pg30)
« Reply #1085 on: September 08, 2017, 09:13:11 PM »
Hotline Miami

This is one of the most intense, addictive games I've ever played. You basically are assigned on each chapter a building full of Russian mobs and have to kill them all. But you've got no armor, just a mask, and you'll die very often. But the game lets you restart the level instantly and refine your strategy, because you'll need to sneak in and react fast, think fast. Sometimes even have milimetrical precision and much patience - it's normal to restart a level at least 20 times. There's a wide range of guns and you can throw them to knock down the enemies for some second, and either end or use them as shields. At the end of each level, you get a score based on different factors, and you can unlock new weapons the more points you earn.

That's basically the core of the game, and while I wouldn't normally be attracted to something like it, the strong retro 80s aesthetic, the excellent gameplay, and the goddamned music. Yes, the fucking music is some dope adrenaline-inducing synthwave and has quickly become one of my favorite soundtracks. It's varied, it's creative, and it weirdly fits despite being composed by tracks from 9 different artists. Also, the plot is surprisingly well written and kinda cryptic/hard to follow, but quite inventive and works well.

If you're looking for a very immersive, challenging, and just bad-ass game, get this one.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Sacul's alternate favorites list (starts pg30)
« Reply #1086 on: September 09, 2017, 07:37:13 AM »
I think Hotline Miami may have been my favorite game of that year. Holy shit, from the brutality, to the utterly incredible music. To the 80's aesthetic and fun, frantic gameplay. Hotline miami rules.

I want a switch version real bad

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1087 on: September 09, 2017, 09:42:21 AM »
I have it but haven't played it but I love the style of the game.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1088 on: September 12, 2017, 04:31:32 PM »
Imma jump on that Hotline Miami dogpile. Fun as fuck.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: September 12, 2017, 07:23:45 PM »
The Stanley Parable

The Stanley Parable is quite a peculiar game made in the Source Engine: about a guy named Stanley (duh) whose job consists on pressing letters that appear in a screen. But one day, when he hasn't received any letter for almost an hour, he goes out of his office to find out his coworkers are gone. He only finds the usual, generic office stuff but no traces of them. Thus, he begins to wander while the narrator's voice tells the player about Stanley's inner thoughts and guides us. That's just the beginning - this game really branches off in many direction, with about 20 different endings depending on what routes you take. Although most people criticise "walking simulators" for a good reason, I feel this one is likely the apex of that kind of games, because the game it's pretty much about choices, that's the only mechanic, and it's exploited in many levels. It's a game about narrative in video games, about the mundane white collar job life, the illusion and desire of freedom, and many more topics depending on how you look at it. It's not very long and can be beaten in a few hours, but those will be some of the most interesting minutes you'll spend in a computer.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: September 20, 2017, 08:18:16 PM »
Oops, sorry, been traveling a bit lately and I have some tests in college soon so I'll try wrap this up tomorrow. No love for Stanley tho?  :'(

A little batch of extra honorable mentions that didn't make the cut:

• Frog Fractions: This game is on fucking drugs: starts like this silly game suppsedly made to teach children about fractions but ofc it's useless then slowly evolves into a... space game, then a hilarious interrogation, some minimalistic underwater platformer, a text adventure, and a president simulator. It's random in purpose and it's amazing at it. Can be beaten in under an hour and played for free.
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted: I've never been big on racing games beyond some Mario Kart and this one. Dunno how forgot my favorite NfS on my first list, played the shit out of it many times, although I could never actually beat it - last races were too tough for me, and my cars were shit.
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons: A game very inspired by ICO, following its minimalism and lack of dialogue. I'm amazed at how well the plot is told, and how dark it gets. My only complaint is the controls, you need to control each brother with an analog stick and it gets messy. I guess it's made to played by two people.
  • Super Metroid: Of all Metroid games, it's actually one of my least favorites - I love the Prime trilogy to death, and just prefer Zero Mission and the bit of Fusion I've played to it. Hell I'd even prefer Other M if it didn't have such awful storytelling. Still, very solid title, amazing atmosphere and graphics, just some clunky mechanics that haven't aged well and some dumb design choices here and there.
  • Minecraft: Oh man, got this one back when it was still in Alpha! Played countless hours with my friends and in servers. With the years I have move on and last time I revisited it (least year I think?) they had added some things I didn't like and replaced some of the classic sounds I came to love. Well, at least the soundtrack is still gorgeous as usual.
  • Limbo: Pretty atmospheric, cinematic platformer. I dig how much it tells without saying a single thing, and it's quite unforgiving if you aren't paying attention. Can get a little boring at times, but it's a very intriguing game for sure.
  • Pony Island: Solid little game about someone whose souls got trapped into a PC owned by the devil and must escape with the help of another trapped being. It's both cute and dark and not really about ponies :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: September 20, 2017, 09:40:53 PM »
I'd even prefer Other M.....

I might prefer Other M to a colonoscopy, but not much else.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cable

« Reply #1092 on: September 21, 2017, 07:33:19 AM »
Oops, sorry, been traveling a bit lately and I have some tests in college soon so I'll try wrap this up tomorrow. No love for Stanley tho?  :'(

Heard about Stanley, but haven't played it. My modern game play-age is highly limited at this point. Game seemed like an awesome concept, so I may check it out at some point.

• Super Metroid: Of all Metroid games, it's actually one of my least favorites - I love the Prime trilogy to death, and just prefer Zero Mission and the bit of Fusion I've played to it. Hell I'd even prefer Other M if it didn't have such awful storytelling. Still, very solid title, amazing atmosphere and graphics, just some clunky mechanics that haven't aged well and some dumb design choices here and there.

I believe, seeing these lists and what is on mine, that game fondness is often tied to a person's age and point in time (just wait for my next list! *crickets*). So it's no surprise you like the other Metroid games over SM Sacul. I love SM, and think it is a near perfect game as time has passed for a bunch of reasons. But a lot of my view is because I played the original Metroid on the NES when I was like 12. Where as Metroid Prime 3 was cool for me, but no where near SM for me.
---

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1093 on: September 21, 2017, 11:33:55 AM »
Frog Fractions is pretty good but a bit dated
Frog Fractions 2 on the other hand was awful, I couldn't even bring myself to finish it

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: September 21, 2017, 10:33:54 PM »
Let's finish this.

Mother 3

It's hard to talk about this game because it's a direct sequel to Earthbound, although it's not evident for the most part of it. So I'll just sum up what I love about it.

First of all, its very quirky, absurdist nature. Never being too random, never too "normal" either, the Mother games have a very peculiar sense of humor, consisting on dad jokes, puns, self-references, and playing a lot with the player's expectations. It feels quite childish and silly for the most part, but there's a unique charm to it I can't explain, it just never feels off at all, just fits.

Although it's a turn-based RPG, it's also got a rhythm battle system - yes, you have to play in the song's beat in order to accumulate hits. It's not necessary to master this (I could barely get more than 2 or 3-hit strikes!), but I'll admit it's a lot of fun, and thankfully, for you'll need to grind quite a bit. Enemies are really really varied, sometimes completely absurd and random, and I love it. Mother 3 just has a very strong personality.

Music goes from electronic to samba, classical, 80s rock, rock & roll, ambient, even symphonic stuff. May not be as good as Earthbound's, but it's just a very different approach for a very different game. And graphics are some of the most beautiful pixel art I've seen, filled with bright colors and cartoon-ish sprites.

The plot is surprisingly well-written and developed, with great characters, and a lovely silly story paired with some grim, heart-breaking moments. I don't even know where to being talking about it without spoiling big plot points, so let's say it's about a very unusual group of people who become friends and have to save the world, and they're not heroes at all. But, you need to play Earthbound in order to fully understand it and, most of all, appreciate it - it won't have the same impact if you try this game first, and you'll be spoiled of course. I'll just say this game, despite having a bit of a cheesy ending, it's just quite powerful and emotional, and a wonderful way to wrap up the series.

Earthbound

Something strange happened with me and Earthbound - I developed an attachment, the sort of you have when you're a kid playing some really good games and just are fond of them forever. Thing is, I'm 21 and just finished this game some months ago, yet feels I grew up with it, or rather, I should have played it as a kid, for I would have loved it to death. And this feeling is not uncommon, for its a game with a very strong motherly feeling: the obvious lack of a fatherly figure, only present as a phone you have to call to when saving your progress; having homesick and needing to visit your mother to cure it and rest; even the fact your parents give you money every time you beat an enemy yet let you go out to save the world. Yes, the alien Giygas has returned from the first Mother game (this being the second one), and in 10 years he'll dominate Earth, so a bee was sent to the past to warn Ness and tell him it was his destiny to beat the evil. Thus, he'll head into one hell of a journey, finding new friends, discovering his own psychic powers, and stopping Giygas' evil influence.

But that's just part of the charm - Earthbound is a very silly, childish, absurdist game, and I mean it in the best way possible. It's got multiple references and parodies of popular culture, many dad jokes and puns, completely random stuff, crazy, hilarious situations, and more. I think the main theme is childhood and growing up, and it shows. The game only takes some dark twists here and there, and mostly in the final part of the plot, and man, it's just... moving. Really, Earthbound has one of the most beautiful, emotional endings of any game I've tried.

Graphics have aged amazingly well, just look at them! It's really beautiful to look at, easy on the eyes, and looks way better than most other RPGs at the time imo, which tried too hard to be realistic or have tons of details. Music it's mostly sampled, but sounds really really good, with a good portion of the cartridge's space dedicated exclusively to it. Doesn't have any concrete genre, just very charming, innocent songs paired with some dark, heavy ones. Combat is just simple turn-based style, with psychic techniques and physical attacks and items, but some statuses are unique, like crying or feeling weird.

It took me quite a while to get into it, but the more I played it, the more I got absorbed into it, and ended up loving it by the end of it. If you're someone who just plays RPGs for the plot itself, you won't find really much developed story, but if you just love quirky games, this is a must. It comes with the Super Nintendo Classic Mini and can be bought at the Wii U virtual console.

And that's it! Sorry it took me a little more than expected, but hope you found some great games on the list :P

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: September 21, 2017, 10:36:29 PM »
I believe, seeing these lists and what is on mine, that game fondness is often tied to a person's age and point in time (just wait for my next list! *crickets*). So it's no surprise you like the other Metroid games over SM Sacul. I love SM, and think it is a near perfect game as time has passed for a bunch of reasons. But a lot of my view is because I played the original Metroid on the NES when I was like 12. Where as Metroid Prime 3 was cool for me, but no where near SM for me.
Indeed, a lot of games on this list and mostly on my first list, were there just out of nostalgia and personal value :P

Frog Fractions is pretty good but a bit dated
Frog Fractions 2 on the other hand was awful, I couldn't even bring myself to finish it
Ohdamn, that's sad to hear  :'( I guess I'll give it a chance anyways.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1096 on: September 24, 2017, 07:05:11 PM »
Earthbound is my short list of to play games, a bummer I missed it during it's brief time in the sun. I haven't heard a bad thing about it I think!
---

Offline Cable

« Reply #1097 on: September 24, 2017, 07:19:19 PM »
I'll get my thing going again.

This will interest two people here maybe. I could have done another top 25 list, but for one a lot of the games would get more obscure then my top 25 list. And I rather write up about games I’m more familiar with, and/or have played more recently.

NES Nostalgia 15 & 2!

Unfortunately then for more modern gamers, and some otherside-of-the-pond gamers, this could all be boring. The games will all be officially licensed Nintendo Entertainment System games, for mostly better or worse. I will also be using the NA release dates, as some games could have been released nearly two years before in Japan. Also there will be a lot of side-scrolling platforming games, because well, it’s the NES. To attempt to keep it less boring, I will be doing a top 25 NES games, which will include my previously noted ones. I wrote up eight already, so only 17 more to go, nearly already a third done already! Below will be the links for the top eight. Plus, two more of the games are from the honorable mentions! So really, it’s 15 more.

As a result of already doing my top eight NES games, I will actually work backwards, from #9 to #25. So it will be anti-climatic if you will. The new honorable mentions will conclude the list. I figured it is a way to change it up a touch, plus I don’t have much of a choice! I also have another issue; Battletoads and Zelda II are no longer actually #9 & #10, based on them being honorable mentions. I noted them to get the names out there to a degree, not thinking I would rank things further and write it out. So these two are lost somewhere in the ranking, until they re-appear!

1 (4) Blaster Master
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41605.msg2156221#msg2156221

2 (9) Ninja Gaiden
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41605.msg2149392#msg2149392

3 (11) Dragon Warrior/Quest IV
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41605.msg2148735#msg2148735

4 (12) Super Mario Bros. 3
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41605.msg2146791#msg2146791

5 (13) Tecmo Super Bowl
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41605.msg2146236#msg2146236

6 (15) Mega Man 3
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41605.msg2145402#msg2145402

7 (21) Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41605.msg2142636#msg2142636

8 (23) Snake's Revenge
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41605.msg2141944#msg2141944

***What a great game, based on a film with four comedians. No Slimer though***
---

Offline Cable

« Reply #1098 on: September 24, 2017, 07:22:47 PM »

9) Ghostbusters {1987?}

A masterpiece, really. It has it all- the four busters. Ghosts. The song, complete with a voice sample if I remember correctly saying “Ghostbusters!” Ecto-1. Stay Puft, Gozer.

It goes beyond just that though- it adds in plausible stuff that maybe happened behind the scenes. We have the Busters driving Ecto-1 around the city, to their office and job sites!

It also adds in a stair case scene. Obviously the Busters needed to get to the roof of a tall building in the film. So they must have climbed up a bunch of flights of stairs! There is really unique gameplay here too; instead of using the D-pad, you have to mash the heck out of B and A buttons to climb or descend the stairs.

Yeah, this game is bad.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ghostbusters_video_games#Ghostbusters_.28Activision.29
Investigating the game a bit for this troll, it was initially not a Ghostbusters game (not surprising). And the ending text was programmed by a Japanese developer, as Activision didn’t like the initial ending so that explains the translation challenge.

This is probably the worst game I physically own. Wait, maybe it’s the WWF/E NES game. But that has no ending point, so it sits there on a shelf. I also did not buy Ghostbusters or WFF- both were given to me in a game lot. No one I knew owned this game, I never rented it, and no one spoke about the game. I’m happy for that! That all said, I did beat it once I got the physical copy. I used the NES Advantage to beat the stair case, even though there is a bug I guess. Otherwise, the game is monotonous, and more mindless then Final FantasyI leveling-up. It is pretty bad, although not the worst licensed NES game from what I gather. Might be the worst media-licensed game though. The Ghostbusters theme plays for-the-entire-game.

So onto the actual list then, for now... :)

***Not Mario, Not Zelda, but that other one. Sci-Fi film inspired.***
---

Offline Cable

« Reply #1099 on: September 25, 2017, 07:24:56 PM »

9) Metroid {1986}

A truly remarkable game. Despite me ranking this below SMB3, I actually think Metroid is a better franchise. And in some ways, this is a better game. SMB3 has much more weight to it, and I play SMB3 more than Metroid. But this is only because Super Metroid is so much more refined, and I prefer that over Metroid and SMB3. Also SMB3 is more mindless so to speak, so it’s a good tune out vs. Metroid.

So what makes this game awesome? At its core, I think it’s a splendid combination of the other two flagship franchises- the less linear & RPG elements of Zelda, combined with the platforming of Mario. This game is the start of the whole Metroidvania thing, as this had basically all the elements of those games right here and now.

What else makes this game unique? It is heavily inspired by Alien. It gives you that solitary feeling in space.  This is accomplished in a couple of ways, primarily the music. The extra-terrestrial nature of enemies, and a stretch would be to say some of images. Not so much, especially considering the limitations of the hardware. And there are lots of vibrant colors that go against this. But some aesthetics, and the backgrounds are all black. Where as Mario is not. Oh, and yeah, the main character is a woman. So there is that similarity too. And the titular characters latch onto you like a parasite, not too far off a face hugger. Plus the boss Ridley’s name is apparently a nod to Ridley Scott.

~edit~ forgot I talked about the music here
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45829.msg2101825#msg2101825
That soundtrack- wow. I didn’t even know its greatness until there was metroidmetal.com. That gave me a fresh look, and really really made me appreciate it. There are some melodies, with Brinstar being the highlight. And what a start to the game with that, as it charges you up only to change not long after. The melodies are mostly forsaken for moody (Norfair), eerie at times (Ridley & Kraid) pieces.

The gameplay is maybe the only downfall to the game. But I give it more credit, as it was 1986. There is item progression, and this game is well known for despite being open, there is a sequence to generally follow. This game is not speed run and sequence broken like SM is. It also is not an easy game to explore, so think Zelda1 burning trees if you haven’t played this. There are items if I recall, and passages hidden within blocks you have to bust. So if you play this blindly, expect to sink a lot of time into it shooting stuff, and jumping in lava.

So the game is not a technical skill burden, but a chore to explore. If you haven't played this, and want to do it without assistance, you will need to map it out. Also, the story of the franchise is better than Mario (fairytale basically) and Zelda. I also prefer the setting of space and the future, vs. almost medieval or whimsical. Zelda does get the edge for story on NES, as I don’t recall Metroid having any text in-game. Once again, there is the big ? type of feel to the game. Some of this comes down to maybe the time period it was released (similar box to black-box NES games), and Miyamoto wasn't directly involved. A nice explanation of the limitation of NES story telling at that time; it ties it to Alien again, as that movie left us with questions of the heck is that alien about?

***Konami’s horror franchise, better than the first one.***
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:37:16 PM by Cable »
---

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: September 25, 2017, 08:11:14 PM »
Never played any of the Metroid games unless you count playing Samus on Super Smash Brothers, great write though!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1101 on: September 26, 2017, 01:46:06 PM »
This game is not speed run and sequence broken like SM is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67kQ3l-1qMs

this guy begs to differ, haha... awesome write up, one of my favorites since I was a kid. The whole series is a lot of fun!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1102 on: September 26, 2017, 07:17:14 PM »
This game is not speed run and sequence broken like SM is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67kQ3l-1qMs

this guy begs to differ, haha... awesome write up, one of my favorites since I was a kid. The whole series is a lot of fun!

Thanks! Agreed, haven't been a bad one I played.

I actually pulled the a lot of what I said about the game being busted for running, which shows; I didn't mean it's not broken at all.  :lol. Some of my pull was based on skimming this run. I meant Metroid is not broken apart as much as SM, or speed run to the amount or degree. SM they can do anything anywhere basically sans MotherBrain; there is an item location randomization tournament finishing up right now! 
---

Offline Cable

« Reply #1103 on: September 27, 2017, 07:15:51 PM »

10) Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse {1990}

I honestly could still swap this with Simon’s Quest and be happy. And I’ll say it now, no Castlevania1 (C1) on this list. Primarily I didn’t want to be redundant, as C1 could have easily beaten out some games on my list. But C3 and C2 do things differently, and better. C1 is pretty barebones when you hold it up to C2 & C3, and certainly next to what the series became. So we have a platformer here with a horror theme. You have a series staple of the whip, as in C1 & C2. Back from C1 are the same sub-weapons, plus hearts in candles.

This game is also often considered harder than C1, although I don’t fully believe that. If you don’t use “help me” as a name for the 10 lives, then maybe I could see that.

Three total lives are then the default I think. Also, add in the password system, improved over C2, which made the game easier to progress through. C1 was an all-in-one sitting or leave-system-on type game.

Regardless, the game is a challenge, and you will have many deaths. You can also be cruel to yourself and replay the game after you beat it. The diffuclity is ratcheted up further. And if you really want to nail yourself, just use Trevor Belmont (the whip guy). So maybe if you don’t use help me, play the game after beating it, and just use Trevor, the game might be extreme hard…*goes and tries this*

The game changing addition to C3 is the character “spirits” of Grant, Syfa, & Alucard. I don’t know why they were called ghost spirits originally, as the characters are alive in other games (at least Alucard is). Maybe it’s because you beat two of them in battle.  Konami was rotten with actual game stories vs. what was written in their manuals though. I heard that Nintendo of America or others wrote the manual stories, separate from the game creators. Also, a recent development is the Netflix show. I haven’t watched it, but apparently it is this game.

So what these spirits do is give you new attributes. Syfa and Grant are weaker taking damage-wise more than Trevor and Alucard. Grant is probably my favorite, as he can climb walls, seems slightly faster moving, can change directions of his jump in midair, and has a small hit box. This allows you to easily duck axe throwing knights.

Syfa has three spells via the candle drop items. Ice and Thunder are generally better than the easiest one to get, Fire. But all three are powerful. I like her base attack too. Alucard is easily the worst, which was funny because we thought he was going to be awesome. He can turn into a bat and fly, which can be useful. Problem is it uses hearts. Grant does not use hearts to climb, so that advantage for Alucard is basically a wash. His hitbox is large because of his height, and his attack is the worst in the game. It can reach the three fireball thing that Dracula does, but it’s so weak. Syfa’s base melee attack is stronger, and I think Grant may be too. If he isn’t, his strike speed makes up for it. So you will frequently be shifting back to Trevor for attacks. Further, his pathway through the game is harder than the other. He is clearly inspired by Bela Legosi’s Dracula, I would say even more so than Dracula himself. Konami however really fixed up Alucard for the better, appearance and skill, via Symphony of the Night.

The new part of this game is branching pathways. People would cite Dracula X (the PC Engine one) as a great game, and it was heralded for this. But it started in C3. The two paths funnel into the same last handful of stages. And Grant actually requires a terminal stage to obtain, so you literally go up and get him, and come back down. Syfa and Alucard are on different pathes, so while Grant can meet the other two characters, Syfa cannot meet Alucard. So you really get a great bang for your buck with this game, considering C1 had like six stages. There has to be at least 14 in this game, and they are not reused stage assets. Speaking of re-used stuff, some bosses are back here from C1.

~past music post~
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45829.msg2101627#msg2101627
And the music, ah the music, the music! I will go with these being the best tunes of all three Castlevania NES games, and rivals many other of the system’s soundtracks. I could consider moving it around of my favorite NES music.  Outside of the new stellar tunes, we get a Vampire Killer redo in the Grim Reaper/Death’s stage. I don’t know the names, but the first stage, forest, waterfall stage, stage before second to last, second to last, and all of last stage’s music are awesome right off the top of my head. The ghost ship music fits the mood well there too. If you played C3 on NES and think the music was good, check out the Famicom soundtrack. It had an extra sound channel or something, so there is some cool additions or better sounds.

***A superior Zelda1-style game, with a mishmash of themes set in 1997.***
---

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: September 28, 2017, 05:15:12 AM »
Another game I haven't played, I have played any of the Castlevania games actually. Aren't they known for being really tough games?

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1105 on: September 28, 2017, 07:11:30 AM »
1 Blaster Master
3 Dragon Warrior IV
4 Super Mario Bros. 3
6 Mega Man 3
9 Metroid
10 Castlevania 3

I imagine we would get along if we were to play games together. Your top 10 NES games have 6 that I would consider "must-plays". CV3, in particular, might be my favorite Castlevania game in general. SOTN and the two PS2 games are up there, too, but CV3 was the original innovator. While the first one was great, it was a bit too short (and a bit more difficult than CV3). And while the second one was a complete overhaul of the level design, they made it way too easy (infinite lives/continues, starting at the exact place you die after death/continues) and way too convoluted if you don't use a walkthrough. Dracula's Curse was the sweet spot for me. Difficulty was spot on, the branching levels, the friends you meet along the way... everything about this game is awesome. Good pick!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1106 on: September 28, 2017, 07:21:52 AM »
Another game I haven't played, I have played any of the Castlevania games actually. Aren't they known for being really tough games?

The NES ones yes, especially C1 & C3. Granted, they are not in my pantheon of "the" hardest on NES, but certainly just a tier below. I would say no for more of the modern ones. Symphony of the Night on PS1 (probably on PSN & Xbox Live, maybe Steam?) is pretty easy by comparison, and that would be a good one to start with. It is known as a franchise darling, while also being a bit different (no whip, no Belmont). Super Castlevania IV on SNES is also quite easy. It is basically a remake of C1, and the additions make it a smooth game that isn't too hard. I would recommend those two therefore if you want to try a Castlevania.

1 Blaster Master
3 Dragon Warrior IV
4 Super Mario Bros. 3
6 Mega Man 3
9 Metroid
10 Castlevania 3

I imagine we would get along if we were to play games together. Your top 10 NES games have 6 that I would consider "must-plays". CV3, in particular, might be my favorite Castlevania game in general. SOTN and the two PS2 games are up there, too, but CV3 was the original innovator. While the first one was great, it was a bit too short (and a bit more difficult than CV3). And while the second one was a complete overhaul of the level design, they made it way too easy (infinite lives/continues, starting at the exact place you die after death/continues) and way too convoluted if you don't use a walkthrough. Dracula's Curse was the sweet spot for me. Difficulty was spot on, the branching levels, the friends you meet along the way... everything about this game is awesome. Good pick!

:metal :tup I think you will still like more of mine to come OpenYourEyes.  ;D
---

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1107 on: September 28, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »
:metal :tup I think you will still like more of mine to come OpenYourEyes.  ;D

The NES is my jam. I have no doubt I will love at least 75-90% of the games.  :biggrin:
WELP.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1108 on: September 28, 2017, 01:02:26 PM »
Never had an NES (or any of my high-school friends), but damn those graphics are giving me a nostalgia stiffy.  I vaguely recall that Ghostbusters game.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1109 on: September 28, 2017, 04:39:09 PM »
I really like castlevania III and think is was an awesome return to form after simons quest. Its crazy ass hard, but I still respect it.

The NES ones are tough, with III being brutal
Castlevania IV is so so in difficulty

But I honestly recommend just going strait to Symphony of the night. Its available of tons of platforms and its one of my favorite games ever made.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1110 on: October 01, 2017, 10:32:13 AM »

11) Crystalis {1990}

This should have been on my primary list, if not at least on the honorable mentions. This is clearly a Zelda1 clone. But as I said in the music thread and in the tease, this is a better game than Zelda. It should be anyway, because it was created well after Zelda.

The gameplay is overhead like Zelda, and is pretty smooth to play. Getting hit is the only weird thing, as it doesn’t look right and doesn’t feel right either.  You get knocked backwards significantly, and sometimes in unpredictable directions. The one major gameplay difference from Zelda is there are no real sub weapons. There are additional options and stuff, but no alternate attack. That said, there are things such as jumping and flying with make the game quite different than Zelda.

[

So we move to the RPG elements, and I would say this is all-out RPG. You have many characters with dialogue, exploring, experience levels, and progression of swords and armor. And these inclusions make the game awesome. The swords are elemental, so early to mid- game you have to switch swords sometimes because opponents might be invulnerable. The swords sequently get better too, outside of the game’s namesake sword- that thing sucks. You use it for one enemy, and that is it. And it only does its fancy thing in that battle. There are four levels of attack for a sword- standard sword stab, level one charged shot, and levels two and three. Each hits harder, but level 3 uses magic. For most of the game, level one and two are where it’s at. Also, to use level 2 and 3 attacks you need to find the corresponding sword item to allow this. And each sword has it’s own items. The nice thing about the level attacks is you can carry around your sword pre-charged, as long as you hold down the attack button.

The armor, shields and items are all enhancers, not including healing/status items. At the endgame, you get some really cool ones like one that does MP regeneration, and another that allows you to spray out level one attacks without charging your sword. The spells are basically support/defense spells, where as the level 3 sword charges are considered offensive spells so to speak. One spell produces some fun of being in disguise, but does nothing else but to move the story along.

That said, the story is pretty good for the NES. And then it isn’t. There is a twist, I think, but it is either translated or written poorly. Also a pretty sad scene, with appropriate music. The world is apparently in a post apocalyptic state or something, but most towns seem alright. I guess the monsters are the apocalypse? It also takes place in 1997 if I recall correctly, but the world is swords and shields and magic. So I’m not sure what happened. But all in all, it works and uses many different characters and situations. It almost is a steampunk blend at times, without looking like steampunk.

This game really doesn’t have a huge amount of challenge, and is more just level grinding (before that was a phrase). I think sometimes you need to be a certain level to advance, but I could be wrong. Places are interconnected, with backtracking which is quick and no sequence breaking that I’m aware of. So it’s pretty linear. That said, this isn’t an easy game to just plow through. Stuff needs to be figured out, spells need to be used in certain situations and so on.

~music https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45829.msg2099156#msg2099156
I already hit the music here, it is wonderful. Very fitting to situations- royalty type music, epic music, music that fits the mood, music that fits the scene (desert).

***Some consider this the best blue bomber game.***
---

Offline Cable

« Reply #1111 on: October 01, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »

12) Mega Man 2 {1989}

It really was between this and MM3 for my initial top25 list, but MM3 has too many good things going on for it. So there, I will debate forever that MM3 > MM2. Without MM2, MM3 would not be as good as MM3 is though.

Mega Man 2, while it can be challenging especially on the Difficult setting, was known to be much more tolerable than MM1. The addition of E tanks was really the big catalyst for this, although people cite the addition password system too. I scoff at this, as the passwords take you only to Dr. Wily1 if I recall, which isn't a big deal. It almost feels the four Wily stages take as long as the main eight stages. This is actually a big flaw IMO with the MM1-MM6 games, in that you always have to go through the final stages if I remember correctly. It would be better if you could have a password that took you to near the end. Not sure if the X series fixed this? I only played MMX1, and don’t recall there.

Gameplay wise, it is the same as MM1, which is the same as MM6. The animations are all the same, and Mega Man still has the same cannon. There is also no change in his movement, which is why I pick MM3 due to the slide. But the game is smooth regardless.

This game has arguably the greatest boss item, Metal Blade. I also contend this is a big flaw in the game, as once you have that, you can slice through (pun intended) the rest of the game without much issue.

Where as all the others have a better balance and utility (MM3 being the best IMO), Metal Blade is easily ahead of all the other boss weapons. There is an expansion of the number utilities, as MM now has the ability to fly on a rocket, jump on some platforms, and use an odd wall-climbing item. These have different numbers, I think 2, 1 and 3 respectively.

The stage design is very good, with some challenges (Heat Man pit!) without being unreasonable. Quickman was always a favorite of mine, for having to be quick, and having the best stage tune IMO.

~music
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45829.msg2105508#msg2105508
And to reprise the soundtrack; arguably the best soundtrack on the system. I would take it further and put it up against all VG soundtracks. Limited possibility wise, but the melodies and arrangements are top notch. There pretty much is no weak track in the entire soundtrack.

***Platforming, mainline Nintendo franchise.***
---

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1112 on: October 02, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »
yes. Yes! YEEESSSSSS!!!

First off, Chrysalis is awesome. Never finished it, though. Got to the last castle and I think I got lost, or couldn't figure out what I needed to do... I dunno, but it's definitely an awesome game and fun to play.

Now as far as Mega Man 2... I mean, I would never argue that it's the best, but I would never argue that it's not. There are so many reasons why I like MM1 and MM3 better. Hell, sometimes I think MM5, MM8, and MM9 are better than 2. But that's just it. The consistency of the series is what makes it Mega Man. They had the formula down on the first game and it really just got better. So, for many people, MM2 and MM3 were their first Mega Man games, and that's why they think of them as "the best," but to me, they are all worthy of being in the conversation (except MM7... f*** that game)!

Another couple of great picks!
WELP.

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #1113 on: October 03, 2017, 02:36:06 PM »
this is going to be my favorite thread in the whole forum. i love video games one of my earliest memories was from the late 80s my uncle brought home a game called the legend of zelda. i loved discovering everything in that world and it sparked a lifetime love of playing.

my top 25 games. (in no particular order.. i could keep going)

suikoden 2
castlevania symphony of the night
the legend of zelda
zelda: a link to the past
metal gear solid
wild arms
chrono trigger
final fantasy 6
final fantasy tactics
final fantasy 9
bioshock
fallout 3
fallout 4
super mario world
persona 5
diablo 2
god of war 2
witcher 3
lunar: silver star story
lunar: eternal blue
portal
uncharted 2
the last of us
mass effect 2
grand theft auto V

Offline Cable

« Reply #1114 on: October 04, 2017, 08:30:32 PM »

13) Zelda II: The Adventure of Link {1988}

This game is awesome, and I take it over Zelda1. Now I'm biased as I was primarily a platform /action guy back then anyway. It is visually like Zelda1-colors, some other minor stuff, but that is basically where the similarities end. The game has less heart pieces, and adds in direct magic for the first time in the series. There also are no sub-weapons, rather items do something to advance the game. This also limits the ability to sequence break the game, and therefore is not really an open world game by comparison to Zelda1. But I could care less, as I really scoff at this open world concept that is so big these days. Back then, no one was saying oh Zelda1, open world game = better than SMB3. Granted, we were biased kids. But these games are not created for niche reviewers and adults primarily.

So to the game, it has a unique for the time overworld map, followed by the normal action screen. I think this game predates Final Fantasy, but not Dragon Quest1. However this is unique in that the action screen expands from the map, where as FF and DQ just goes to a fixed battle window. Plus, you can avoid encounters on the main map. Real hard, but things can be avoided.

Apparently the game was a challenge, which I never could relate to as I had no significant issue beating it. The speedrunners take it even further, by not getting the Candle! But I do understand how it can be not forgiving, with some poor jumping mechanics at times.

And some hard sword fights with these guys,

and near impossible fights with these things.

The down-thrust sword technique was a big part of making the game easier. Up-thrust was cool, but not as useful. Down-thrust also allows you to basically hop over enemies, and if you do it correctly you will not receive damage. Some enemies are unpredictable, so it’s not always perfect.

The music is great, although somewhat limited in the amount of tracks.

Writing this up, I thought about the name; is this the only Zelda game with Link in part of the title? Lastly, this game had a fantastic final boss in your shadow. It was a challenge for me, as it is hard to land a strike. And basically impossible to up or down thrust. That being said, there is a way to cheese the game and beat Shadow Link easily. But it's not as much fun that way.

***No idea how to tease this one- explore dungeons with a family.***
---

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: October 04, 2017, 08:49:46 PM »
I've never seen this game on a list before, usually it's always link to the past or OoT. Great write-up nonetheless!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1116 on: October 05, 2017, 08:01:45 AM »
Adventure of Link was #3 on my list back in 2015. One of the best games ever made IMO. I still think the original is THE best, but the follow up was just as good, only completely different (which I appreciated as a kid, and still do). Another great pick!
WELP.

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #1117 on: October 05, 2017, 08:05:44 AM »
I liked the adventure of link. Later installments took alot of ideas/staples from this game and really expanded upon it a result is i think the game holds up better than alot of people would think.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1118 on: October 05, 2017, 02:54:59 PM »
I respect Zelda 2, but I have always sucked ass at it, and have never got very far.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: October 05, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
I will say Zelda 2 was a great game. And I say "was" and not 'is" because of how it has aged for me. It is always tough succeeding a Legend (ha ha), and Zelda 2 did it admirably. I loved it back then, and found it hard, but unreasonable. I recall making a map of the final palace on paper. When I played it through recently, it didn't have any of the enjoyment I recalled from my youth, whereas a game like LoZ will never feel old to me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'