Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83587 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Double Size from Mr Beale (starts pg25)
« Reply #1015 on: August 09, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »
I hope not. I have some games I'd like, to do some write ups for despite already doing a list

Offline Cable

« Reply #1016 on: August 09, 2017, 12:32:48 PM »
I'd be willing to do the same. I could do a my top NES game list or something, to put a bit of a different twist vs. all systems top 25-50.
---

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1017 on: August 09, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »
I have played a lot of stuff since my last list so I guess I could make a new one but excluding the games I already had in the previous iteration :P If you don't mind, I could start on Monday.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1018 on: August 09, 2017, 03:29:38 PM »
I have played a lot of stuff since my last list so I guess I could make a new one but excluding the games I already had in the previous iteration :P If you don't mind, I could start on Monday.

Sounds cool to me! I'll go after you Sacul. Unless BlackFloyd comes in and squashes the idea!
---

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1019 on: August 09, 2017, 04:48:01 PM »
I'll go after you cablex

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1020 on: August 09, 2017, 06:32:24 PM »
Forgot to comment but really awesome list! Don't know a good bunch and there are a few I really wanna play (like Persona 4). Since you like RPGs, have you played Earthbound or Mother 3? They're awesome.

I've played like the first half hour of Earthbound. Didn't grab me, but I know I need to return to it someday to give it more of a fair shake.

It hasn't gotten to the good trippy part yet.

I've been playing Persona5 after reading your write up for 4. I'm glad I did, its a great game. The music style and vibe is excellent. Really compelling and just great story telling. Right from the get go it gets intense in the drama aspect.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1021 on: August 09, 2017, 06:58:12 PM »
Hell yeah Persona 5  :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: August 09, 2017, 07:19:15 PM »
Forgot to comment but really awesome list! Don't know a good bunch and there are a few I really wanna play (like Persona 4). Since you like RPGs, have you played Earthbound or Mother 3? They're awesome.

I've played like the first half hour of Earthbound. Didn't grab me, but I know I need to return to it someday to give it more of a fair shake.
Yeah the first hour or two of the game is the weakest part of it, mostly due to some excessive grinding imo, but form there it just keeps getting better and better. Definitely give it another try.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1023 on: August 09, 2017, 07:54:28 PM »
A bit of a tangent, I bumped the top VG Music thread in the Music section to see if there's interest.
---

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1024 on: August 10, 2017, 02:02:00 AM »

Sounds cool to me! I'll go after you Sacul. Unless BlackFloyd comes in and squashes the idea!

Nah, this all sounds good to me. Looking forward to it  :)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #1025 on: August 12, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »

I've been playing Persona5 after reading your write up for 4. I'm glad I did, its a great game. The music style and vibe is excellent. Really compelling and just great story telling. Right from the get go it gets intense in the drama aspect.

Nice! It's pretty long but sounds like you're really into it. It's definitely one of the most stylish games out there.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1026 on: August 12, 2017, 02:23:47 PM »

Nice! It's pretty long but sounds like you're really into it. It's definitely one of the most stylish games out there.

As long as the story is intriguing, the length doesn't matter. I'm into games with a story. Doesn't matter the genre.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: August 13, 2017, 04:26:58 PM »

Nah, this all sounds good to me. Looking forward to it  :)
Cool! Already have the list made, doing some writeups now. Will begin tomorrow with some honorable mentions.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: August 13, 2017, 06:09:35 PM »
Awesome :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1029 on: August 13, 2017, 07:04:34 PM »
i can't wait for sacul to honorably mention me

Offline Cable

« Reply #1030 on: August 13, 2017, 08:48:01 PM »

Cool! Already have the list made, doing some writeups now. Will begin tomorrow with some honorable mentions.

:tup
---

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1031 on: August 14, 2017, 09:03:07 AM »
Yesterday signified a major gaming milestone in TOX's life...

In 2006, I started a playthrough of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I got about a third of the way through the game, stopped playing, then forgot where I was and what I was doing. A few years later, I started another playthrough. I again got about a third of the way through before putting it down. Two or three years back, I resumed that playthrough, got about two-thirds of the way through, and again put it down. Yesterday, I finally beat the game. :hefdaddy

Has anyone else had a weird journey like that where it takes years upon years to beat something? :lol

Edit: Just realized this should have been in the main Video Game thread. Sorry!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:29:36 AM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Sacul's aternative favorites
« Reply #1032 on: August 14, 2017, 11:02:45 PM »
Welcome to "Sacul's alternate favorites list", in which I'll post my top 25 fav games except all those that were already on my previous list. Let's begin with some...

Honorable mentions

Fallout 3

My first Fallout, I played the shit out of this one on PS3. A big, open post-apocalyptic world filled with raiders, radiation, mutants, two-headed cows, and tons of dialogs and action. It's a western RPG with some FPS mechanics so combat is pretty simple and in real time (and kinda shitty if you don't use the V.A.T.S system to aim at limbs), but also a Bethesda game so bugs and shitty animation abound. It's just tons of fun and it's the most enjoyed if you love exploration imo. Get the GOTY edition, base game can't be beaten without the expansions.

Metroid: Zero Mission

A remake of the first Metroid! Very solid game with Super Metroid mechanics plus some added powerups and stuff the original didn't have, plus an entirely new level featuring Samus without her Power Suit that leads to some really tense and great moments.

ICO

This game took a lot of inspiration from Another World (the first "cinematic platformer") in the sense that there's no (intelligible) dialogue and it's kind of minimalistic but taken to an extreme. It's a very immersive, intriguing 3D platformer about a guy trying to escape from an abandoned castle with a princess, but some dark beings will try to take her so you've got to fight them with wood sticks or whatever you've got. Puzzles are simple and level design is awesome although you may find yourself using a guide at times because some solutions aren't always too obvious. Get the HD version ofc.

Hexcells

This is basically if Minesweeper was a good game, with gorgeous minimalist graphics, hexagonal cells, and ambient music. This one is fairly easy but the other games in the series are more challenging. Still, this is the recommended starting point if you're a fan of puzzles games like Sudoku or others.

To the Moon

A pair of scientists work for a company that offer a curious service: memory modifications for the terminally ill, to make them believe their lives were different. To achieve this, both have to get inside a patient's mind and go back through their memories and plant a modified version of an early one and let their minds invent the rest. With this particular patient, he wishes he could have gone to the moon but doesn't know exactly why. Learning about him, the scientists uncover some dark, heartbreaking memories. It's emotional if a little corny at time, well-written, great music, and it's probably one of the best games made with RPG Maker. Pics are from the remastered mobile version - haven't played it but seems just a revamped version of the original so go play that one!

Antichamber

Now this is a very curious game - it's some kind of minimalist first-person puzzle game, in which you have to  go through hallways and rooms and solve simple puzzles using colored square block with a special gun, and you can get upgraded versions further in the game that give you some cool new things to do with the blocks, like filling in an area or "extracting" the blocks in one and saving them in your gun. Level design is brilliant, using non-Euclidean spaces and mindfucking stuff that's imposible in real life but works flawlessly on Antichamber. There are also lots of little signs with a drawing and a life-lesson kind of phrase, that normall helps you solve the puzzle. The goal is to follow a strange black, floating being that seems to have special powers and can open doors at will and stuff. It's a pretty "zen" game, quite abstract so I don't understand what it all means but it's a very immersive, interesting experience.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3

Yeah I loved the series when I was a kid and although I'm not big on these kind of games, had a blast with it on my own and with friends. Tried other DBZ games but they were lackluster and not half as enjoyable as this one.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1033 on: August 15, 2017, 05:41:09 AM »
I should buy Zero Mission I guess? I love SM, and the original.
---

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1034 on: August 15, 2017, 09:22:53 AM »

Yes. Zero Mission and Fusion are as good as any other 2D Metroid... maybe slightly under Super Metroid... but, that should go without saying
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1035 on: August 15, 2017, 01:05:56 PM »
Three games from my list, nice  :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: August 15, 2017, 01:33:54 PM »
Yes, it explores a bit more Samus' origin and the level without her Power Suit is excellent.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: August 15, 2017, 05:12:25 PM »
Spec Ops: The Line

This is the kind of games I wished modern FPS were like: some bleak, fucked up vision of war, in which you're forced to take awful decisions like choosing which civilian you must kill, or either protecting them or let them die and save the contact that's been captured. You can hear the enemy soldiers speaking of missing back home, of just wanting to go back and have a drink or be with their families. But are they really the enemy when they're American soldiers like you? Is your group actually trying to evacuate what used to be Dubai? What happened to the place and its people? What's the CIA doing around here?

Despite the genric name and gameplay (kinda annoying it's on third person), Specs Ops: The Line is a dark, deep game about obsession, narcissism, and the lack of "good and bad guys" in war times. If you've watched Apocalypse Now or read Heart of Darkness, you know what you're getting into. Also special shout-out to the soundtrack, which is some pretty rad psychedelic/desert rock and some old radio songs.

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Juan Aguacate is a humble agave farmer who is in love with El Presidente's Daughter. When an evil charro skeleton named Carlos Calaca attacks the village and kidnaps her, Juan is killed by Carlos winds up in the land of the dead. There, a mysterious luchador named Tostada gives him a mysterious mask that transforms him into a powerful luchador and brings him back to the world of the living. It is now up to Juan to stop Carlos from sacrificing his loved one in a ritual that will allow Mr Skeletal to take both the living and dead worlds.

This is a Metroidvania and one that doesn't even pretend to hide it - Metroid references abound (even the way you get powerups and the design and name of the statues is borderline ripoff), but also little winks to other games like Super Mario Bros, Zelda, and many classics. But it's also a brawler and it's got some excellent powerups and combat mechanics, including combos and a "super" mode that makes you stronger for a short time and consumes quickly unless you keep making combos. Abilities to unlock include being able to swith between the worlds of the living and the dead, or movements to destroy certain colored rocks that block your way.

To finish, I found the traditional Mexican artstyle and folklore quite refreshing for this kind of game. And quite well-done despite having been made by a Canadian team :P

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: August 15, 2017, 05:21:48 PM »
Great write ups so far. I have gucamelee but haven't played it and I'm a huge fan of the fallout series.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1039 on: August 15, 2017, 07:36:38 PM »
Nice on Spec Ops. Haven't played it, but am aware of the story being superb with the amazing twist. Seemed to paint the bleakness of war.
---

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1040 on: August 16, 2017, 02:36:56 AM »
I've always been curious about Spec Ops: The Line so I bought it the other day and am playing it right now. While I haven't gotten very far, it's all very interesting so far and I can't wait to play more. :tup
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1041 on: August 16, 2017, 11:32:23 AM »
Spec Ops: The Line is pretty great storywise but the gameplay is so unbearably bad. Intentionally so, I'm aware, that's part of the point, but still.
Anyways heck yeah guacamemes

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: August 17, 2017, 05:11:48 PM »
Spec Ops: The Line is pretty great storywise but the gameplay is so unbearably bad. Intentionally so, I'm aware, that's part of the point, but still.
Yeah it gets really tiresome when you've got to shoot a lot of enemies every five minutes or so. That's why it's better played in short sessions imo :P

Also sorry for lack of update yesterday, have a new one:

Jazzpunk

This is a bizarre title - no, it's not about jazz nor punk, just a very absurdist walking simulator, full of silly Monty Python-ish jokes and situations and some psychedelic moments. You're a spy in the 50s/60s that is assigned several missions, like infiltrating the Russian Embassy and retrieving "the MacGuffin" or beating getting someone's liver because it contains advanced technology your country needs (?). It's both a homage and a parody of old spy movies and series IMO, and its cartoony style fits perfect with the random nature of the game. It's pretty short as it can be beaten in a day but takes a little longer if you dedicate some time to the hilarious mini sidequests, like killing all flies in a room full of ancient Chinese vases with a fly swatter, only to keep the thing and be able to turn random people into flies, or when you get a weird ray gun that makes pigeons unconscious and also gives you pigeon pheromones in a perfume bottle. Yeah it's weird as fuck but a lot of fun and it's easy to follow.

Shadow of the Colossus

Boy, this game is truly an experience and I see why some people name it when there's a debate on whether games are art or not. It's basically about a guy who travels to a forbidden land and asks the spirits there to revive his dead girlfriend. But to make that, they ask him to defeat the 16 colossi that live in the area first. And that's the interesting part, because our guy only has an ancient sword, bow and arrows, and a horse. And these beasts are huge and powerful. But they're slow, and have weak points, and it's up to you to figure out where those are, climb on their colossal bodies, and hit it with your sword. Every encounter is brilliantly designed in terms of animation and atmosphere - the colossi really feel overwhelming, the physics system is very realistic, and the grandiose orchestral music just reinforces the majesty of each battle. Also notable is how beautiful the lands are, big and expansive, and no loading screens at all. There is very little dialogue and text yet it's rare to get lost because the design is very intuitive.

Of course, it's not a perfect game. As much as it excels in a technical level (literally pushing the limits of the PS2), and even in terms of atmosphere, I've got some gripes with it. First of all, the game only consists of fighting the 16 colossi. Every time you beat one, you absorb its soul, become unconscious, and magically reappear on the temple were the spirits reside. They tell you where to find the next one in a cryptic way, and you go and beat it. And repeat. Really, that's all there is to it and nothing more, which is kinda disappointing, considering such a wonderful, vast map tha game its set in, it could have encouraged a little bit more exploration or something, so this is an aspect in which the extreme minimalism hurts the experience IMO. Second, some enemies are just frustrating, like the 4th one took me ages to figure out how to climb up to it, or the last one, because, as epic as it is, I had to look up where the final weak point was, only to discover I had to use the sword in a very awkward moment to discover it and didn't leave me time to jump to the part of its body so had to climb up half of it again.

But yeah, if you don't mind those things, or even if you do, play this game. It's a very cinematic, cathartic experience and a cult game for a good reason. Get the HD version for PS3, or wait a bit more if you have a PS4, there's a brand new remaster coming soon and looks fantastic.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Jazzpunk is really something special. The off the wall humor is incredible.

I really enjoyed shadow of the colossus, but its never something I would play through again. Its minimalist aesthetic was great for one single run, but doesn't hold up to repeat playthroughs. For me at least. Nothing quite like it though. The new zelda borrowed heavily from its core design, but the filled in so much more.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Jazzpunk is good for what's there but it's just soooo short. I have that problem with a lot of Adult Swim games though, they make these cool experiences but overprice them to heck for the amount of content you get.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I've heard a lot about Shadow of Colossus. I never got a chance to play it but your write-up makes me really intrigued. I might have to pick up a used copy. I'm sure there are some for cheap

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Jazzpunk is good for what's there but it's just soooo short. I have that problem with a lot of Adult Swim games though, they make these cool experiences but overprice them to heck for the amount of content you get.
Yeah shame it's short, glad it was a gift from a friend :P

I've heard a lot about Shadow of Colossus. I never got a chance to play it but your write-up makes me really intrigued. I might have to pick up a used copy. I'm sure there are some for cheap
That's great! If you have a PS3 there's a digital version as well.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Yea I have a PS3 that is also backward compatible, id probably pick up the digital copy though.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1048 on: August 20, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »
Again, sorry, had some rough days but I'm back:
The Simpsons Hit & Run

Ah, the memories. I remember playing the shit out of this game back in high school or somewhere in 2007-2009. I replayed it some years later, but I still remember it clearly. It's kinda like a Grand Theft Auto but with The Simpsons. Well not really, there ain't nearly as much freedom as on that one, but it's still a hella lot of fun. Most missions involve car chases, races, destroying statues, etc. Sorry for the short writeup, it's just that it's been so long since I've played it but loved it so much :lol

Metroid Prime

Speaking of memories, I don't recall whether this or Zero Mission was the first Metroid I ever played. And somehow I don't really recall much from this game? Like, I played it less than 5 years ago, had a blast with it, but for the life of me, can't remember most levels or enemies, only the final bosses. Maybe because I played it on an emulator and my PC wasn't powerful enough to run it smoothly so in many places it went really slow. I really must replay it now that my computer is powerful enough and I've got the Trilogy edition plus some Wiimotes. Anyways, this was the first 3D Metroid and although some panicked when it was announced it'd be in first person, most can confirm it was nothing to worry about - this just create a unique level of immersion and reinforced the lonely atmosphere of the series. It's probably my least favorite game of the trilogy but still a damn solid title. Really wished more Metroidvanias took this approach instead of copying Super Metroid, this is just better imo. Better mechanics, more action, way more exploration, more story if you want to delve into it, dope electronic soundtrack, beautiful art direction. Up my alley.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I played hit and run for the first time ever a few years ago and it was really fun. I expected it to be crap like most tv or movie based games but it really held my attention.

I've never played a metroid game sadly.