Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83529 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
alright, gimme like a day or two to finalize my list and maybe get a headstart on writeups

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I actually went and bought Super Paper Mario. You made it sound so fun. I just beat Mimi, loving it so far.

That jail guy when you talk to him with peach was hilarious.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
 :corn
alright, gimme like a day or two to finalize my list and maybe get a headstart on writeups
:corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Just sent him a PM.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Parama's Top 25 Video Games Lists v. Cool Games You've Probably Never Heard Of

First off I want to rattle off a long list of games that didn't make the cut even before I get to the 10 honorable mentions I have lined up.
I put in place a strict "one game per series" rule that I didn't really need to break anyways, honestly, maybe one or two games I won't put anywhere on the list but will probably mention in writeups for the games I did pick.

In no particular order, then.

Final Fantasy X - Not a series I've ever been a huge fan of but I do have fond memories of this one. Sadly XII killed any interest I had in the series and I've never bothered to revisit any of the games since. It's a bit vanilla as far as RPGs go but I liked the characters and especially the world they live in. Also some of the music is just fantastic.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Another game I have a lot of fond memories of, but I could never get into the sequel and outright never played the first in the trilogy. Do want to go back and replay this one sometime though because the world the game takes place in is gorgeous. I've played Super Metroid too but honestly that game doesn't have the same sense of wonder of atmosphere to it and came off as a little dated to me. Dunno.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - Another case of "liked the game, couldn't finish the sequel", though I do intend to go back and try to play through this at some point... Anyways, I particularly like the event system of this game and the combat is pretty solid too, decently strategic without relying on too much luck. The many different endings and the way a lot of your choices can come back to bite you I also quite like, though the story as a whole is maybe a bit cliche.

Rhythm Heaven - I love the idea behind this game and series but the flicking mechanic on this game has always been a sticking point. Especially in that ping pong minigame. Nightmares. Ugh. Still a cool game on the whole though, a lot of creative uses of basic mechanics and just a lot of charm to it as well.

Pokemon Ruby - I skipped a few gens (4 and 5) and only got back into the series recently so I could totally be missing out on a better game in the series, but as it stands this one's always been my favorite. A lot of my favorite 'mon designs, a pretty diverse world that feels a lot more interesting to explore than previous games, and at least this game poses a bit of a challenge compared to the gen 6 games.

Kingdom Hearts 2 - Another game I played the heck out of (as well as the original), but then 358/2 had to come along and completely destroy my interest in the series. I haven't played this game in so long though, and every time I do go back to it I don't ever seem to make it past the long prologue, which is a sign that it probably hasn't aged well for me. Still have fond memories regardless.

Rock Band 2 - Great setlist, heck, probably a better setlist than the guitar hero game I ended up going with (spoilers) but the game engine has always held this series back from being truly great. Would probably crack my top 40 though, consider it like #38 or so.

The Stanley Parable - A fantastic experience, but once you've played it for a few hours you've seen all there is to see and it's hardly replayable. A bit hard to really even call it a game, but, definitely something everyone should experience once in their lives.

Castle in the Darkness - A retro-styled metroidvania that's got great pacing and is pretty great fun, though lack of a map and a bit of an excess of instadeath holds it back a little. I dug this a fair bit when playing it but I haven't really felt the urge to return to it since. Still a pretty fun game and a pretty good metroidvania on the whole.

Fract OSC - I just think this game's aesthetic is absolutely beautiful. Like, damn. Looks gorgeous, sounds gorgeous - and it better since sound is a major aspect of its gameplay. It's a bit short though and really lacking in replayability, but it's an enjoyable world to explore once, and has a decent amount of puzzle variety to keep it interesting.

Grow Home - Quirky physics aside this is a pretty chill and pleasant exploration platformer that goes on just long enough and has just enough hidden away to keep it from ever feeling stale. Oh, and, tons of charm, just like, a lot of it. The weird climbing mechanic can get a bit annoying after a while though and it's a bit awkward to play at the start as well.

Velocity 2X - An unsurprisingly fast-paced shmup/platformer hybrid that has one of the highest damn barriers of entry to its convoluted control scheme I've ever seen but once you do get the hang of it it's really quite fun to play. And there's enough variety to keep the game from getting stale, though there are some notable misses that turn from fun to frustrating pretty fast, and 100% completion is a bit of a nightmare (but I pulled it off, somehow...)

Before the Echo (aka Sequence - Cool little RPG//rhythm game hybrid with quite fun gameplay and a great soundtrack provided mostly by Ronald Jenkees, with solid characters to keep the story engaging and a decent sense of humor as well. Can end up a tad grindy, especially when drops are as luck-based as they are, but it's a great core concept.

Blocks That Matter - A simple but elegant block-based puzzle platformer that takes into account both the puzzle and platformer elements of the genre quite well. The puzzles tend to have a few different solutions and there's incentive to find the most efficient ones that gives the game a surprising amount of replayability.

La-Mulana - I'm hyped as hell for the sequel to this game despite only ever kiiiind of being on board with the original. For every clever puzzle there's one stupidly obscure one and the game is practically impossible to beat without a walkthrough, on top of being one of the longest metroidvanias I've ever played. The real gripe I have though comes with the stiff controls, and some of the boss designs (especially boss #5) can be particularly frustrating. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with this one, I guess. And the stuff it does best, well, a game in my top 5 does just as well without any of the frustrations.

Mark of the Ninja - Stealth games are a genre I tend to not be a fan of but this one pulls it off well for me due to it being primarily a platformer at heart, though the stealth elements definitely play a major role. A bit awkward to start playing but once you get used to the controls it's pretty fluid and can be pretty fast-paced if you know what you're doing. I tend to prefer playing the pure stealth route, personally.

Outland - A gorgeous game to look at and a solidly fun one to play, but by the time I did get to playing this one I'd seen everything it had to offer done better. Doesn't keep this from being a pretty great game nonetheless, though.

PixelJunk Eden - This game is insufferable if you don't figure out the right way to play it, but once you do, it's... it's actually pretty chill and a really fun game to explore around in. I dig the aesthetics and I dig the stripped-down gameplay, and while it could maybe end up being a bit monotonous to some people I find it easy to get lost in the game for the same reason. I haven't actually played this one in ages and now I kind of want to go back and replay it, haha.

Portal 2 - it's p. good

Psychonauts - A cult classic with great writing and decent gameplay, but it just barely missed the cut for my proper honorable mentions due to being... a bit rough around the edges. Not quiiiite as good as everything above it. But still a great game. Maybe my honorary #36. Probably. I wouldn't put it above what I have at #35, at least, but it's close.

Retro/Grade - Continuing the trend of great genre fusion games that didn't quite make my list is the shmup/rhythm game hybrid that would be so much better if it had more than 10 songs. That being said the game has a pretty smooth difficulty curve and the tunes are actually pretty bangin'. And the patterns on some of the final levels... it's really tightly made, a blast to play, and it can be pretty dang tough too. Getting 100% completion on this one is an achievement I'm quite proud of.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - I dig this more than I dig the standard Shantae games, mainly for its better pacing and its powerup selection, but it's a bit on the short side. Some of the bosses are a bit weak too and the island-style level design means for smaller, isolated areas instead of one bigger map like I'd prefer. A fun game but maybe a bit lacking in flavor or anything that really stands out.

Terraria - I played the heck out of this a while back and was never able to get into any of its copycat games as a result (maybe because they're all inferior). Crafting sandboxy type games don't tend to be something I like but the sense of exploration you get in this one made it worth playing to me, and it's easy to accidentally lose an afternoon playing it because you keep going "just a little more" a dozen times in a row.

Valdis Story: Abyssal City - A game with so much potential and some pretty enjoyable and diverse playable characters, that often shoots itself in the foot with frustrating level or boss design. Oh and the fact that towns can literally vanish off the map leaving you with no way of upgrading some of your equipment. If you miss certain events that is. Which you may or may not accidentally do. That being said it's pretty great aesthetically and when you do get the hang of it pretty dang fun to play. It's just got a lot of minor annoyances that keep me from really loving it.

VVVVVV - One of the indie games that was largely responsible for the indie game boom and it's a pretty great one in its own right, though it's a bit on the short side. I still go back and replay this from time to time though, especially because of how brief it is.

...whew, I think that's about all I have for now. I'll start the honorable mentions proper tomorrow (yes, I have 10 more before we even hit the main list, because there are just so many games I can't go without talking about). I maybe forgot to mention something here but, ehh, shrugs, whatever, y'know, y'know.

One thing you'll probably notice is that I don't really value nostalgia a lot in deciding my favorite games. I believe in the progress of the medium as a whole and as such a good number of my picks are quite recent, with only a handful in the top 25 being more than 5 years old. Maybe it's because the newer games are fresher in my mind, but also because whenever I tend to go back and replay older games I find myself quickly picking up on all the little imperfections the medium as a whole has ironed out since their release. You won't see Super Mario World here, you won't see Sonic 3 & Knuckles here, heck, you aren't even getting any Zelda games period. There are none. I realize this is likely going to be really alienating for a lot of people who follow the thread but hopefully I can make up for it by introducing you all to a lot of Cool Games You've Probably Never Heard Of.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
A lot of good games so far, can't wait to see that actual list

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
VVVVVV - One of the indie games that was largely responsible for the indie game boom and it's a pretty great one in its own right, though it's a bit on the short side. I still go back and replay this from time to time though, especially because of how brief it is.

Great pick! Such a fun game with an amazing soundtrack.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Blind Faythe

I'm kinda a gamer and I love games very much. The games I usually play are based off my favorite youtubers like Markiplier, Jacksepticeye, Pewdiepie, CinnamonToastKen, etc and I absolutely love The Stanley Parable's. Really, it's a brilliant game that made me laugh many times. Kevan Brighting is an awesome narrator.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 11:51:09 AM by Blind Faythe »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
It you liked Stanley Parable you should play "The beginners guide" if you haven't played it. It's from the same creator as the Stanley Parable

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
oops I need to update this tonight or something I'll just do all 10 honorable mentions in one go I guess sorry  :lol

Offline Blind Faythe

It's fine! We can wait! Wouldn't want you rushing over your list!

It you liked Stanley Parable you should play "The beginners guide" if you haven't played it. It's from the same creator as the Stanley Parable

Ah, I've heard of that game before, but never played. I'm addicted to this anime game right now, but I'll be sure to check it out!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I would hardly call The Beginners Guide a game, have a couple drinks on standby (if that's sort of you're thing) and play through. It's a great story.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
yeah i liked the beginner's guide, it's a very interesting experience. too short though  :lol

also uhh i forgot :x
i'm really bad at this. i ended up playing straight through another short game tonight 'cause i'd been meaning to and spaced on this haha. maybe i'll hammer out a few of the honorable mentions real quick though.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I'll try to get the rest of these out in the next day or two but here's a few to start with. Literally the two biggest names on my entire list right here, fair warning. No Mario or Sonic in the top 25.

HONORABLE MENTIONS (well, some of them)

Sonic Advance 2

This is maybe a bit of a weird choice, since most people would point to Sonic 3 & Knuckles as the highlight of the series. And I wouldn't really contest that, in all honesty. It's basically a coin toss between this one and that one for me because they're both pretty great platformers in their own regards. But there's one category where Advance 2 really wins out for me where I think Sonic 3 & Knuckles struggles.

The game's pacing is just... great. I know Sonic is always supposed to be a game about serious speed, but it never really truly felt like it until this game. There's a lot of ways this game gets you moving fast. A lot of running and loops, a lot of springs bouncing you off in different directions, the actual functionality of grind rails compared to the previous Advance game that introduce a whole new element by themselves, the tricks your characters can do to gain some extra height or speed. And the boss fights, constantly running and playing catch-up while dodging attacks. It all just creates a great pace for the gameplay that really is only held back by the small size of the screen; I'll fully admit there's some cheap shots caused by the small screen size and it's far from perfect. I also like the special stage mechanic in this game; hunting around the levels for the 7 special rings, then the (admittedly pretty easy) unique collection special stage that places its focus on chaining and, again, speed. I probably know the levels of this game better than any other Sonic game (well, except maybe Sonic CD, which, for the record, was also a hair away from taking this spot) simply due to its special stage entry mechanic. I'm sure some people would find it really boring but, I dunno, I really liked it. The levels tend short enough that I don't really mind replaying them anyways. And as usual for the series the game both looks and sounds great, the themes of some of the levels are pretty cool and unique (Music Plant and Techno Base especially).

On the whole though it's an enjoyable game that I've played and replayed many times. Not quite good enough to be one of my absolute favorites and it's slightly flawed but still a blast to play.

To The Moon

Pushing the boundaries of what's considered a "game", perhaps, since this is a completely linear experience with very little in the way of challenge, just the occasional simple puzzle. But where it succeeds is in its narrative and booooyyy does it succeed hard, this is easily one of the most emotionally riveting games I've ever played.

The premise is pretty simple; the main characters are two doctors who work for a company that allows people to experience their wildest dreams... in their minds. But the treatment they give also ends up killing the person they perform it on, so it's only performed on people who are already on their deathbeds, and only at the request of the person receiving the treatment. The game is the first in a planned series of games (where's that second game though, I want it) based around these treatments. The patient of To The Moon is Johnny, and his dream is to, well, go to the moon. The plot seems pretty simple and straightforward at first but the more you dive into Johnny's memories to figure out what would have to be changed to allow him to live out his dreams, the more devastating it becomes, to the point where the doctors face a serious moral dilemma proceeding further with the operation.

And I won't spoil anything beyond that, but I can say; god damn. There's at least two big moments in this game that are just. Absolutely heartbreaking. Especially the second moment, where the game's main theme song Everything's Alright plays in full. To the point where even hearing a few seconds of this song makes me tear up remembering this moment. It's just... something you have to experience.

It's really hard to talk about this game without completely ruining it and this is about all I'll allow myself to say. It's an RPGmaker game, which I know has a kind of stigma against it, but this is definitely one of the examples of using the game engine in an interesting way to tell a damn great story. I can't believe I have to cut games this good from my list.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Of all the games that made this list, this is probably the game that I played at the earliest age. Because I wasn't really playing games until the 2000's and I was spoiled between the catalog of good retro games that I could go and play and the many great games coming out during the PS2/Gamecube era. i think I actually played the GBA port of this one with the added secret levels.

Yoshi's Island is just one of the most solid platformer games all-around. There's a decent level of challenge (it was THE HARDEST GAME EVAR to little old 10 year old me), there's a lot of content and tons of replayability, the level design is diverse and generally pretty good fun, it's visually incredibly pleasant, just looks great even by today's standards. And I really like the exploration element that was added into this game, I love going around and collecting all the red coins and flowers in a level and the need for 30 stars to 100% clear a level as well encourages staying alive and avoiding damage. And of course, all that's absolutely optional if you just want to charge through the levels to the end, but the levels are all non-linear enough that you'll likely be doing some exploring anyways. The game also was the very first mario game to feature diverse and colossal boss fights, and in spades; a dozen of them throughout the game if I'm remembering correctly. The game is so jam-packed with creativity that there's some elements it only gets the chance to use once or twice and never again because it's just constantly aiming to do something new and creative.

There's a high chance this will be the most played and revered game on my entire list and there's probably a good reason for that; it's just a damn great game. The best game the Mario series has ever put out in my opinion and I highly doubt they'll ever top it.

also black_floyd or someone go change the thread title  :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Fuck yeah Yoshi's Island. :metal Amazing soundtrack too.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
7 guests viewing :omg:

Man I love Yoshi's Island, I was very young at the time and I was always afraid of those shy guys whenever Yoshi got hit, like really afraid :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Yoshi's Island and To The Moon are basically opposite games but both awesome in their own way! :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ben_Jamin

Now I want to play To The Moon.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Blind Faythe

Really nice honorable mentions!

Saw Markiplier play To the Moon and I agree with everyone here, it is really an awesome game! I love the title music and all the music, it is filled with nostalgia.

As for Yoshi's Island, I had the same experience with Train of Naught. I was really scared once I lost Baby Mario and it gave a warning sound and the Shy Guys took them away. Really frightened me when I was young.

Anyways, nice entries! Looking forward for more.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Speak of the devil, To the Moon just went on sale on steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/206440/

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
The games I usually play are based off my favorite youtubers like Markiplier, Jacksepticeye, Pewdiepie, CinnamonToastKen, etc

I don't ever want to crack on someone else's taste, except for my wife for watching those hideous "Real Housewives of XXX Town" shows, but I have no idea how Markiplier and Pewdiepie have more than 17 subscribers. I can't watch either of them for more than 5 seconds without wanting to punch them in the face.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I think that they just appeal to a younger audience.

I prefer channels like Lazy Game Reviews and Super Bunnyhop

Offline Blind Faythe

Yeah, for me, they make me laugh a lot and they've brightened my day a lot.
Normally for me, I used to so afraid of jumpscares that anytime there'd be one, I'd just flip out like crazy and injure myself in the process. I just feel calm when I see how Mark of Felix is there with me and it beats having to play the game all alone at night. :)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I think that they just appeal to a younger audience.

I prefer channels like Lazy Game Reviews and Super Bunnyhop

LGR is swell. Clint is such a bottomless pit of interesting tidbits and I love being taken down memory lane to the exciting time in the tech world that was the mid 90s. The internet seemed so full of potential and it's certainly made good on that. If we could somehow offset the sociopathic effect it seems to be having on younger generations, we'd really be on to something.

Also, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is a fantastic game. So lighthearted, fun, and well executed
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
1. i can't stand markiplier or pewdiepie but whatever
2. wow okay you can shorten the title to like "Cool Games 'n' Stuff" or something i'm sorry  :lol

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
Agreed. Pewdiepie is so fucking annoying. What a dickhead.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

With you loud and clear. 

The popularity of these idiots is one of my four signs of the apocalypse. 

Offline Cable

With you loud and clear. 

The popularity of these idiots is one of my four signs of the apocalypse.

It's not just them too. Pewdiepie and Markiplier are obviously the most well known, but there are soooo many LetsPlayers it is crazy. Even someone like James Rolfe/AVGN has gotten into them. And for what, watching people play games? I remember how that was *not* fun in the NES days. I know the reactions are sometimes humorous. But so many people, and so-many-video-clips. The GameGrumps must have like 10 exabyte's of videos up, they put out a handful of LetsPlay clips a day.
---

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
James Rolfe (and Mike and Ryan) do 'Let's Play' videos, but they are heavily edited, and often are them just messing around. They'll be upfront about how they never read through a game's manual. I watch their videos more for their interactions with each other.

GameGrumps is just they two guys laughing uncontrollably the whole time.

Offline Cable

^ yup. I watch them too for the conversations. Pat the NES punk started one up too with Ian from Cupodcast. But I'm just overall saying that lots of people are doing them, as AVGN and Pat did just reviews before. But now they are playing games too. All this is not really counting Twitch stuff. But with the speed running community, and even walkthroughs, it is different as speed runs are quite entertaining. And walkthrough's are useful if needed.

It's really crazy when the biggest Youtube draws are people playing video games, and acting over the top IMO.
---

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I like listening to Pat and Ian, they talk just like they would talk to each other normally, not hamming it up for the camera.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Pokemon Ruby
The Stanley Parable
Portal 2
All of these are top 20 material - well, maybe not Stanley, but Portal 2 is top 10 stuff :P

Approve of To the Moon, beautiful game.

Really looking forward to this one  :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

Game grumps is mainly for Earthbound.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
The only people I find annoying than Youtubers are reactors. They just sit on their lazy asses and just react. Number 1, why is that even a thing and number 2, WHY THE HELL IS THAT EVEN A THING?!
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Scar Reacts To Reactors! YOU WON'T BELIEVE HOW HE REACTS!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.