Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83082 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Is there no entry #7, or did I miss something? ???

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

Again that's due to my unorthodox listing method for my top 10. Sorry. :lol But I'm glad you're keeping track in case it was a mess-up.
#7 and #1 are from the same franchise, so those will be together in the final update.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I'm not sure if #1 and #7 are going to be some sort of surprise, or if I've forgotten something obvious that hasn't been listed yet and will end up going :facepalm:. Probably the latter.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Did he do the Zelda games yet..if he even likes those. Judging by the rest of his taste, I'd say it's a strong possibility.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sonic 2 baby!!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Sonic is fucking amazing. No other way to put it. My earliest memories of it are thinking "Fuck Sega. They talk shit about Nintendo with that stupid 'Genesis does what Nintendon't' horseshit and their mascot looks third rate."

Then my brother bought a Genesis in 1993 and we couldn't get enough of it. The music is so serene, yet energetic at varying times and even simultaneously sometimes. The levels are huge in cases like Chemical Plant Zone, Hill Top Zone, and Metropolis Zone, and there really is an awesome array of platforming elements to figure out between all the springs, levers, collapsing platforms, etc.

I wholeheartedly agree with your ranking, Blob. 2 is just perfection in all facets and 1, despite being a killer debut, just doesn't have nearly the depth of 3. Though I didn't like 3 nearly as much as 2 back when I bought it with the Genesis model 3 back in 1999, its replay value and superior array of powerups really narrow the gap. Hydrocity is flat out awesomely designed too. I need to get back into these at some point cuz I've literally only beaten the base version of 3 and have lost a small country's population in lives in the final showdown with Eggman in 2.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm a huge fan of the Sonic games, I think you and I have had a discussion about this. I love playing them. I currently picked them up on steam and the emulation is great plus the great steam controller support.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Again that's due to my unorthodox listing method for my top 10. Sorry. :lol But I'm glad you're keeping track in case it was a mess-up.
#7 and #1 are from the same franchise, so those will be together in the final update.
This is why I work in audit. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
7. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC) - 2006

As Prog Snob correctly guessed, Zelda fills the final two spots on my list. I've tried every Zelda game at some point, but I've only really loved a couple of them. Maybe it's because I never played the originals back in the day, or maybe I just found it hard to go back to earlier games after starting with the 3D ones, but the 2D Zelda games haven't appealed to me as much. I've still enjoyed them, but I don't find the top down approach as engaging.

Twilight Princess comes in as my second favourite Zelda game. I've only played the Gamecube version, which costs a buttload to get here. I managed to get it for a relatively decent price, but thank God I ended up liking it. :lol
Twilight Princess one of the more straight up Zelda games, aside from the ability to turn into a wolf, which I think works really well. I prefer the more realistic style of the game, and the Twilight Realm had great atmosphere. Midna was also much less annoying than certain other guide characters in certain other Zelda games......

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - 1998

Here it is, my favourite video game of all times! I'll never get tired of replaying this. I love the way the music is integrated into the gameplay, with the ocarina and playing all of those memorable tunes. The game had great atmosphere for an N64 game, and the gameplay still holds up surprisingly well imo even directly after playing more recent games.
I could go on forever about this game and what makes it so great to me, but it would be nothing you haven't heard before. So instead here are some random Blob factoids-

My most common name for my character was "Mr T" for some reason (and I do like the thought of there being a Goron out there named Mr T), although more recently I've called him Time Hero, because it amuses me seeing characters call me "Time Hero, Hero of Time".

I'd always keep Link in blue except for when I needed the fire tunic, because he looks damn sharp in blue. It brings out his big beautiful eyes.

My scarecrow song was always to just go around the C buttons, C Up, C Right, C Down, C Left repeat, because I did not give a single fuck.

I have never used a deku nut because I have some self respect. I keep my nuts in my sack where they belong.

I don't hate the Water Temple.

Those zombie dudes are still scary when they rape you in the butt. Admit it.

My favourite character is windmill man, because I respect and envy how vigorously he cranks his shaft it in front of the children. He don't even care. One of my life goals is to cosplay as windmill man and not get arrested for it. Just randomly photobomb children's photos and crank it hard.

The first time I ever got up to Ganon, I was fighting the final battle seemingly forever. I was feeling pretty cocky with the Biggoron sword, rolling underneath him and slashing his tail. I must have been there for half an hour, and he just seemed to not want to die. After trying everything I could think of, I switched to the Master Sword, and killed him instantly. Turns out only the Master Sword killed him. Silly me. :lolpalm:

On one of my first playthroughs, I'd forgotten where to get the fire tunic, but I got into the Fire Temple from Death Mountain Trail and finished the entire temple sans boss without it. The boss kind of required it though. :lol

I would regularly enter Kakariko Village, slash the first chicken and invoke their wrath, then quickly escape. It made me feel like I'd won. But deep down I think they remembered it all. In Zora's River, I'd always toss the chicken into the water when I was done with it (that sounded so much less dirty in my head), but apparently chickens can fly sometimes.

I've never bothered with the poe side quest.

Just for fun, whenever I had to go up the Death Mountain Trail, I'd try to come up with the dumbest ways I could to kill the jumping spider guys. The hammer was often a good choice.

Sometimes in my family we'll occasionally randomly hum the owl music just to troll each other. Stupid owl thinks he's so smart with his 180 degree rotating head and lengthy dialogue. NO I DON'T WANT TO HITCH A RIDE. WHY DO YOU SMELL LIKE DEAD MICE?

Top 3 most quoted lines-
Hey! Listen! What would Saria say?
DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUN! You got the _______. Equip it to C!
Oh! Oh Oh! What a hot beat!

Hoo Hoot! Do you want to hear Blob's list again?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nice, Ocarina of Time is and was an amazing game for that time.  It's one of the few n64 games I pick up on occasion to play on my own. (I typically play my n64 with friends no a days and not alone).

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
I love the Zelda games! Ocarina of Time is one of my favorites but I didn't play it as much as the original. Gods, those games are amazing.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Not my favorites by a country mile, but still good games nonetheless. I'm more of a 2D Zelda lover, and my favorite 3D game is Wind Waker, but still can't argue with OoT or TP. Pretty much every game in the series is fantastic (other than the 2 DS games).
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I actually feel the same as Blob, I could never really get into the 2D Zeldas.  It wasn't until Ocarina of Time that I really enjoyed Zelda although I haven't played any others since that game.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I thought you already featured Ocarina of Time? I must have confused your list with another. :facepalm: Definitely a worth #1 though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I thought you already featured Ocarina of Time? I must have confused your list with another. :facepalm: Definitely a worth #1 though.

Easy to get confused given how many other people have included it on their list, and I'm also sure I've probably commented on it every time.

I actually feel the same as Blob, I could never really get into the 2D Zeldas.  It wasn't until Ocarina of Time that I really enjoyed Zelda although I haven't played any others since that game.

Any reason why not? I've played all of them since, except Skyward Sword, which I intend to get some time in the near future.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Any reason why not? I've played all of them since, except Skyward Sword, which I intend to get some time in the near future.

Haven't owned a Nintendo system since the N64 (also never owned a SNES).  And honestly not sure why I never even played Majora's Mask, but I sadly don't see myself picking that up on ebay or anything anytime soon to give it a try.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
N64 is getting to the point of retro now where things aren't dirt cheap to just try out a game. Emulation would be your best bet, although the N64 controller is a tough one to map to standard controllers these days when you need every button.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
N64 is getting to the point of retro now where things aren't dirt cheap to just try out a game. Emulation would be your best bet, although the N64 controller is a tough one to map to standard controllers these days when you need every button.

Yea, like I said, I don't think I'll pick it up to play now, but if I did I'd at least try the emulation route.  I have an N64 emulator on my phone, but it's not the same without an N64 controller.  My buddy has been collecting retro games and actually may have Majora's Mask now that I think about it.

Offline Cable

^ yup, N64 is one of the current in systems for collectors. Also, the emulators are still a bit off. N64 is a complex system I hear, so it's still not close to 99% there emulation wise.
---

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
^ yup, N64 is one of the current in systems for collectors. Also, the emulators are still a bit off. N64 is a complex system I hear, so it's still not close to 99% there emulation wise.

It does have complexities, and there are still some games that are very difficult to get working due to custom microcodes or other features, but the majority of games are fully playable. Emulators for that generation of consoles don't aim for authenticity, because it would require too much work/power, and the games usually end up looking "better" this way anyway.
Of course there's nothing quite like four people gathered around the TV playing some Mario Kart / Super Smash / Mario Party on the real deal. :hat

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Of course there's nothing quite like four people gathered around the TV playing some Mario Kart / Super Smash / Mario Party on the real deal. :hat

One of the best parts about that is using the joystick on the controller, not because it was fun or good for the controller on games like mario party, but purely because of the nostalgia of beating up those controllers as a kid.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

One of the best parts about that is using the joystick on the controller, not because it was fun or good for the controller on games like mario party, but purely because of the nostalgia of beating up those controllers as a kid.

It's just not Mario Party unless you're grinding an authentic N64 analog stick to dust, right? :lol

• DT.net Member
TP and OOT are probably the next two Zelda games I'm playing. OOT was the last game I ever began playing during the 90s when I was still avidly gaming before my interest fell off a cliff due to my growing interest in playing guitar and hanging out with friends. I just remember being daunted by the water temple and gradually losing the desire to come back to it.

I bought it for 3DS in March when they released that last wave of Nintendo Selects and have since knocked off the first dungeon but have my reservations of playing my first playthrough of such a legendary game on a cramped portable screen so I may just end up buying it for N64 anyway.

I got the Wii U reissue of TP with the Wolf Link Amiibo bundled in. I'm very stoked to play it but it's REALLY gonna suck to finally have to open the box for one of these. I'm not a collector by any means (I own 5 total) but I really don't think it's fair to force people to open them to use their features when it has near field communication capabilities in the first place. Maybe I'll buy one separately. Who knows.

I guess my slight concern about playing these two consecutively is that it may make the remaining Zeldas I play seem lackluster comparatively given their collective statuses as bonafide top 5 entries in the series no matter who you ask with rare exception. I guess I may just play the unpopular Wii one after these two (Skyward Sword, I think) since almost any other Zelda game will feel less special and at least this will make virtually any other entry seem great by comparison for not having forced motion controls.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
The 3DS port of OoT is great, with better graphics, and also making some improvements to the gameplay without changing it too much, including giving more visual cues in the water temple.

I wouldn't worry about it ruining other Zelda games for you. Every game is different enough that it's not a simple matter of better/worse, and most of them are highly regarded by a decent percentage of the fanbase I think. I've never played Skyward Sword, but reading the manual online to see the controls was extremely offputting. Is that supposed to be more intuitive than just pressing a button?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm going to have my girlfriend introduce me to zelda games. She has played them all and it's her favorite series.

• DT.net Member
Does anyone have a way of contacting Jarlaxle outside of the forum (facebook or other means)? He's up next but hasn't responded to my PM I sent him yesterday. His last post was 19 days ago so I'm not sure if he regularly has lapses in activity this long or if he might be gone for a while so i'd like to give him til the end of Sunday to respond before skipping him and moving on to adace.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Skip him and let him go after adace if he returns.  If he hasn't been here in 19 days, he's probably too busy to write long posts on a regular basis.  This thread moves too slow as it is.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I agree with DTVT, bring on the next list.

Offline wizard of Thought

The 3DS port of OoT is great, with better graphics, and also making some improvements to the gameplay without changing it too much, including giving more visual cues in the water temple.

I agree on every point, it`s overall a fantastic port (never played the original since I was too young to play it at that time, but I`ve seen videos of the water temple and it was much better on the 3DS).

I also have the HD remake of TP, but I only played until the point Link gains the Master Sword (ok, no real spoiler since he gets it in every game), but I will definitely go on playing as it was fantastic up to that point.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 01:27:48 PM by wizard of Thought »

• DT.net Member
Bruh, dem spoila tagz dint do shit  :lol Just change the font size to like 3 or less.

• DT.net Member
Also, I'm giving Jarlaxle til the end of today to respond just in case there's any chance of him keeping his place in line as I figured he should get at least two days to respond since none of us check this place out every single day (cue jokes about any of five frequent posters.)

That said, adace was after him but has already responded and told me to skip him which makes Stadler next and he's already confirmed that he's good to go. So basically this thread will be up and running by like Monday or Tuesday at the latest barring any unlikely mishaps.

Offline wizard of Thought

Bruh, dem spoila tagz dint do shit  :lol Just change the font size to like 3 or less.

As I said, it`s no real spoiler anyways, but I`ll edit it then  ;)

• DT.net Member
Oh, I wasn't trying to tell you what to do. I was giving you advice on what to do if you actually were trying to avoid spoiling in general since the forum's software doesn't have spoiler tags.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Top 25 Video Games Lists! [v2.0] BlobVanDam: I Hope You Like Platformers
« Reply #243 on: August 01, 2016, 01:57:45 PM »
So, as I understand it, I'm up next.  Yay! 

Thank you (in advance) for reading my list.   I thought I would start with a quick history of my gaming (it will set the stage for some of the entries here) and what I look for in a game.    First, my first game console was the Atari VS (It wasn't renamed the 2600 until later).  I was a fan of the ports of arcade games, and was also big into some of the alternate game producers (Activision; Imagic).   I missed out on the Intellivision and the Atari 5200, and my next system was the Nintendo NES.   That and PC’s were my main platforms for years, and as PCs progressed for gaming, I kind of gravitated to the larger, RPG games on the PC.    At this time I started to be a completist, finishing all the side quests and finishing all the Easter Eggs I could find.  In 2008, I got my first PlayStation3, and while I’ve added an Xbox in recent times, the PS3 has been my main gaming platform and if I upgrade it will likely be to the PlayStation4.  I should note that if I play a game on PS3, I make every effort to complete the game on the hardest difficulty, and to get “100%” on Trophies.    My list is almost exclusively from these platforms, and in some cases (there are a couple of notable exceptions), entries include sequels.   

My biggest gaming joy:  completing a hard game legitimately, and achieving all the Trophies legitimately.
My biggest gaming lament:  that I can’t readily go back and play the old Atari, NES, and PC games on the current platforms (and finish some of those that eluded me at the time);
My biggest gaming pet peeve:  hard-to-get, online trophies.  I have 92% on Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, and ALL the remaining require group play, and I don’t have an infrastructure to facilitate that at this point. 

So here goes:
20.   Mario Kart (Wii)

I could easily substitute either of the “Honorable Mentions” here, since this is primarily a sentimental choice.   Going through a divorce, and my daughter and I would play this and sit on the couch and talk.    Having said that, the conversations would usually wane, and I would end up concentrating on the game.   The game is a good balance between fun and difficulty, and there is a good mix between the various levels.    I know we would play (I went and got the “padded wheel” for her) and just lose ourselves in the game for hours.  Great diversion from a tough time, and a great ice-breaker and bonding moment for me and my kid.

Honorable Mention:  Far Cry (Xbox); Lego Batman (PS3).    The Far Cry is the “Remaster” that is vailable for download from Xbox Live.   Far Cry 3 was recommended to me by a friend, and being something of a completist, I decided to start from the beginning.   Loved it, and thought the end was hard, but rewarding.    Lego Batman, well, I've completed all three, and would be on the list, but because of the relative repetitiveness of it... well, you'll see.

19.   Castlevania I and II (NES)

One of the first games I got on the NES that I found to be really hard, and one of the first that wasn’t a rehash of the sort of “arcade game” where you just amass score.  This had levels, and collectables, and while I never completed the game (I came close to finishing Castlevania I) it stands out as an early example of how you could combine graphics, gameplay, story, and difficulty into a mesmerizing experience that was more than just mashing buttons and blowing shit up.   I haven’t played it for years, but I can imagine this is an eminently playable game, even today, and I would say that this is one of two games that will get me to buy the new “Mini NES” that is coming out in November.

The sequel goes even beyond that, opening up the game-play, and introducing things that would be a mainstay on the PC games, like day/night cycles.  I can remember, though, this being a VERY hard game, because there were a fair number of elements  or puzzles that weren’t intuitive, and weren’t spelled out with clues or in the line of the story.   It’s not a RPG, but it really appealed to me in a way that the later RPGs did. 

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:36:22 PM by Stadler »

• DT.net Member
Re: Top 25 Video Games Lists! [v2.0] BlobVanDam: I Hope You Like Platformers
« Reply #244 on: August 01, 2016, 03:22:15 PM »
Good calls on both accounts. I've only played the original SMK, MK64, and MK8 but I hear that one's pretty good too. If you can ever get a Wii U for cheap I'd strongly recommend getting MK8 and its DLC since it's two separate $8 packs that are only $12 when purchased together so you end up increasing your track, character, and vehicle counts by 50%, 20%, and 30% respectively (for only 20% of the $60 the game costs) as it increases those base totals from 32 to 48, 30 to 36, and 26 to 34. Also the game is fuckin loaded with secret paths.

I need to hunt down Castlevania as it's definitely what I'd assume to be a top 10 or 15 NES game. I loved playing the fourth one on SNES with my brother back in summer 92 though we didn't make it more than halfway in due to only renting it.

Also, you may wanna opt for pics that are at least 500x500 unless the ones you chose were ones you specifically had your heart set on posting. If you end up not being able to find a big enough pic to go with a certain game, you can just sacrifice some resolution quality and manually enlarge it by altering the first half of the [im g ] tag by changing it to something like [im g width=500]* and leaving the second part of the tag as is.

Here's a side-by-side to show the improved sizing with unfortunately compromised resolution:

*I added spaces cuz otherwise it'd glitch and omit all the text I'd typed between the first and last image tags. If you wanna manually resize, just type that width=500 thing the same way I did except the only space should be between img and width.