Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83074 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I actually had DKC's first level's music in my head before I opened this thread. Fantastic games and DKC3 is a fine game imo. I think they dropped the ball with Kiddy Kong but otherwise I think it just gets shat on cuz nobody played it or gave it a fair chance cuz we were all strokin our N64 boners.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I actually had DKC's first level's music in my head before I opened this thread. Fantastic games and DKC3 is a fine game imo. I think they dropped the ball with Kiddy Kong but otherwise I think it just gets shat on cuz nobody played it or gave it a fair chance cuz we were all strokin our N64 boners.

DKC3 ain't bad at all, but to me it just lacks the charm/creativity/vibe of the first two. I didn't play it when it came out, but I played it along with the rest emulated, and finished the game 100%, so I'd like to think I gave it a fair chance. It was fine enough to play through and finish off once, but not much about it stood out imo.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
9. Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - 1994

6. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES) - 1995
Numbers 9 and 6? ???

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
9. Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - 1994

6. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES) - 1995
Numbers 9 and 6? ???

I'm grouping/revealing my top 10 by franchise, to avoid repetition and to save time. The order will be by which is ranked highest in the franchise, but I'm still keeping the individual top 10 ranks intact for each game. Sorry for any confusion doing it this way. :lol

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
I know that DKC2 is a huge upgrade from DKC in just about every day but dangit, I can't take off my nostalgia glasses - the first one I played to death when it came out and I never played DKC2 until much later. Thus, I have much more of an emotional attachment to the first one.
But that cart rider stage... :| I swear to God, even to this day I'm bad at it. There's so little time to react to obstacles!
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I know that DKC2 is a huge upgrade from DKC in just about every day but dangit, I can't take off my nostalgia glasses - the first one I played to death when it came out and I never played DKC2 until much later. Thus, I have much more of an emotional attachment to the first one.
But that cart rider stage... :| I swear to God, even to this day I'm bad at it. There's so little time to react to obstacles!

My top 10 is basically all nostalgia, so I get it. :lol I have nostalgia for both of the first two games, but I get such nostalgia feels thinking about playing the first game 20 years ago on our old crappy TV that made everything slightly fuzzy and green.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
8. Super Mario Bros (NES) - 1985

5. Super Mario World (SNES) - 1990

If I need to explain Mario to you, you must have accidentally stumbled into the wrong thread. The original Super Mario Bros came out in the same year I did, which is clearly some kind of sign or something.
It helped pioneer an entire genre, and is one of the most influential video games of all time. And nostalgia aside, the gameplay still holds up even today. But getting back to the nostalgia, this was one of the earlier games I played, although we didn't own the game or a NES at the time. Luckily, this game has been rereleased on almost every Nintendo console since in some form, and started a whole franchise of great platformers, both 2D and 3D.
My favourite of these games is Super Mario World, the first Mario game released for the SNES, which we bought some time in the mid '90s. It had all of the usual Mario trademarks, along with the introduction of being able to ride Yoshi, which added new moves, and he could also be gloriously sacrificed to save yourself. :lol As usual, Koji Kondo nailed it with the catchy soundtrack. One of my favourite features was having alternate endings to many levels, which unlocked new routes and areas such as the hidden Star World. This added more replay value, trying to find the second ending, which wasn't always as clear cut as just finding a hidden path. Exploration is one of my favourite features of platformers, which is probably why this is my favourite 2D Mario game, and it built upon the great improvements in general that had been made in SMB3.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
:2metal: - one for each.

It had all of the usual Mario trademarks, along with the introduction of being able to ride Yoshi, which added new moves, and he could also be gloriously sacrificed to save yourself.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
:lol
I considered something for that one, but forgot. Thank you.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

can't go wrong with SMB although Im surprised 3 isnt on the list.  I know you said you weren't crazy about SMB64 in the past, but SMB3 was so much better than the original IMO.

• DT.net Member
Someone went through the trouble of making that gif yet doesn't even know that you never have to sacrifice Yoshi merely for a water hazard.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
the heck is a maro

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Someone went through the trouble of making that gif yet doesn't even know that you never have to sacrifice Yoshi merely for a water hazard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9x4o1gAzTc

• DT.net Member
Cute, but my point stands.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Mad, mad love for both games Blob.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
I've never been a huge gamer, but you've chosen some of the few games I actually loved playing -The Super Mario games, Donkey Kong Country (probably my 3rd favorite game of all-time), and the pleasantly-surprised-to-see Lego LOTR. Obviously, I'm a geek for anything Tolkien. Great list so far.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've never been a huge gamer, but you've chosen some of the few games I actually loved playing -The Super Mario games, Donkey Kong Country (probably my 3rd favorite game of all-time), and the pleasantly-surprised-to-see Lego LOTR. Obviously, I'm a geek for anything Tolkien. Great list so far.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12187296/nintendo-nes-classic-edition-announced-price-games

You need this then

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/14/12187296/nintendo-nes-classic-edition-announced-price-games

You need this then

Woah! That's looks awesome.  Bubble Bobble!!  :metal

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
My gf sent me a link to it today. She wants to pick it up and I fully support that decision.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
As do I. Good job choosing the right girl, too.  :biggrin:

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks! She can be a pain sometime but she is pretty awesome.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Take some advice from a regretful man. Love her for her imperfections and she'll always be true.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Some wise words for when things get hard.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

True. Without the water, it's the exact setup used to get to the alternate ending of Cheese Bridge though. I always loved that. :lol

:rollin

can't go wrong with SMB although Im surprised 3 isnt on the list.  I know you said you weren't crazy about SMB64 in the past, but SMB3 was so much better than the original IMO.

SMB3 is an excellent game, and objectively much better than the original. I've finished the game and played it as much as the other NES games back in the day. Why I don't rank it as highly, I honestly don't know. If my list was a top 30, I likely would have included it, but for whatever reason, it just hasn't stuck with me quite as much as the other Mario games on my list. I have nothing bad to say about it though.

Offline Cable

Woo Mario World! I feel SMB is well in the dust, and it is just more a pivotal game. SMW was just so tight with everything.
---

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
That's because Mario is ditching Yoshi in this gif for a higher score, not to make the gap.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ditching your bro and it's not even for survival, just for points. That's cold.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Some wise words for when things get hard.

I'm going to leave that comment alone...

• DT.net Member
That's because Mario is ditching Yoshi in this gif for a higher score, not to make the gap.

I've been skillful enough to ditch Yoshi for 40 points at the goal and have Mario land back on him. Haven't been lucky enough to get a 50 that way though.

As for the games, though, I adore SMB1 and have played SMW more than any other game since it was the only console game we owned aside from 2600/7800 games for nearly the first two years we owned the SNES. I like SMW a lot as it represented the first time my brother and I felt like we had something to make us not feel so poor compared to the other kids since we got it just five or six months after launch. My huge gripe with it, however, is that the graphics and music have never felt like a true Mario game to me and there were a lot of other minor differences from SMB1 and 3 that compounded this problem for me such as the Goombas looking different and having different play mechanics. Shoulda just used that "Regular jump to knock 'em upside down, spin jump to kill 'em" behavior on a new enemy and kept the  Goombas as is.

This game also represented the end of castles being dark, ominous, and accompanied by scary music. Instead, we got bright grey scenery and a quasi classical track. Sucks too because the music is phenomenally written and flat out beautiful but just doesn't properly help create the scary vibe that made the castles in SMB1/3 so iconic.

Overall, I still love the game but it'll likely always be bittersweet for me since, for me, such a huge part of games like this is how well the graphics and music create a majestic, immersive atmosphere and had it been able to match its predecessors in that regard it might have been my favorite game ever.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think the haunted houses filled the place of the really dark and scary role, with the castles being more majestic and epic. I always loved the buildup of the castle music. I think they had a good variety of moods in the game, even within the castle levels, so I don't feel there's an issue there.

But as always, I highly value having your opinion on all of these games, because I know this is your era too. :tup And we still love a lot of the same games, just some more than others.

• DT.net Member
Word. The love is mutual brah.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Donkey Kong Country was absolutely incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline j

Totally agree about DKC2 especially, it is a rare instance of a direct sequel being so good that it essentially makes the original obsolete IMO.  Although I didn't think 3 was that bad either, however you're right on about chunky kong or whatever his name was looking like a genetic anomaly.

Really enjoying this list, I grew up playing NES-SNES-N64 so this stuff is my jam.

-J

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Donkey Kong Country was absolutely incredible.

I was thinking about getting an emulator for my laptop just to play that game.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
4. Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive / Genesis) - 1991

3. Sonic 3&K (Mega Drive / Genesis) - 1994

2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive / Genesis) - 1992

Having now covered my favourite classic platformers that Nintendo had to offer, now onto Sega's best. Sonic has turned to shit in the past couple of decades, but in the 16 bit era, Sonic continued to get better and better.
Sonic 1 was a great start for the franchise, with its complex physics based movement, and high speed platforming.
Sonic 2 is my personal favourite. Part of this is nostalgia, as this was the first of the 16 bit Sonic games we owned, and I played it to death. It improved upon the formula with the addition of the spin dash, which was utilized in a lot of creative ways. Like Sonic 1, it also had a killer soundtrack by Masato Nakamura, one of my very favourite game soundtracks of all time. I taught myself to write music largely by transcribing this entire soundtrack, so it's been a big influence on me.
Sonic 3 was a game so ambitious that it ultimately got released in two parts with the funky lock-on feature to combine the Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles cartridges into one long game, so I only consider it as one game rather than two (you could also plug Sonic 2 into the cartridge to play Sonic 2 as Knuckles, which was way cooler than DLC). A feat of both hardware and software, it was arguably the high point of the franchise. The game introduced Knuckles, who could glide and climb walls. It also added a ton of new gameplay features, and brief cutscenes to bridge together the different zones and tell the story.
It's not my personal favourite though, as it has a few weaknesses imo. The soundtrack was not composed by Nakamura, but instead by various people (including apparently Michael Jackson, but that's a whole discussion of its own), and isn't quite as strong overall. It's still one of the best soundtracks on the console though. I also feel the level design is not quite as creative at times, with some punishing and lazy spring/spike placement. That said, I still think it's an amazing game, but for those reasons, I still prefer Sonic 2 overall.
ALL HAIL SONIC TEAM.

I'm too lazy to dig through that many screenshots, but you should all know what a Sonic is.