Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83058 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yea but our game will be good

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Blob, my brother and I lost many hours of sleep playing No Mercy.  We kept my wife up all night screaming and pounding our chests at each other talking smack playing the game.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Sorry b_f. I'll try to speed it up, it's easy to lose track of time when you have no schedule to live by.  :blush

Oh dude, this definitely wasn't specifically about you so much as it was about the majority of the last ten members. Even though you've lagged here and there, I don't recall you going more than a week between updates as has been the case in some other lists. This thread's for shits and snickers so I don't feel like crappin it up with annoying pressure toward the list makers.

That's why I was offering to make it not feel like a persistent chore and I was gonna just start doing that after your list since it'd be odd to change the format in the middle of someone's list. Also, I don't wanna change the format unless y'all are cool with it changing so let me know one way or the other.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Josh likes his video game talk like sex, fast and onto the next round.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Nah. I like it like I like my Sonic. Woefully sparse and thoroughly awful since 2006.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I played one of the early Carmageddon games back in its day, but I don't think it was this one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Nah. I like it like I like my Sonic. Woefully sparse and thoroughly awful since 2006.

:lol

I like sex like I like my Duke Nukem Forever. A disappointing experience that's decades later than it reasonably should have been. :zydar:

I played one of the early Carmageddon games back in its day, but I don't think it was this one.

The first game was similar, but without most of these powerups, and all of the pedestrians were just sprites. That one was a DOS game without modern hardware 3D support.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo

:lol

I like sex like I like my Duke Nukem Forever. A disappointing experience that's decades later than it reasonably should have been. :zydar:
:lol I like my sex life like I like the Assassin's Creed series. A yearly experience that more often than not feels the same and not at all exciting. :sadpanda:
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
12. Banjo Kazooie (N64) - 1998

I've never been as much a fan of 3D platformers as I am of 2D platformers, but I still enjoyed all of the N64 collectathons quite a bit at the time. Rareware made a series of 3D platformers for the 64, starting with Banjo Kazooie, then Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Tooie, and finally Conker's Bad Fur Day. Having played them all fairly recently, Banjo Kazooie is the one that still holds up best for me.

Banjo Kazooie is based on the concept of a bear, named Banjo, with a bird named Kazooie in his backpack. This duo allows for a lot of clever moves which you learn thoroughout the game. You collect music notes and jiggies (jigsaw pieces) in each world to unlock more areas. The music by Grant Kirkhope is excellent. It's catchy and quirky, and is environmental, adapting depending on which area of the world you're in. Like most games on the N64, there's no voice acting, with characters communicating with random noises instead, which became a signature of the franchise.
While it still suffers some of the inherent flaws of the 3D platformer, such as occasionally dud camera control and difficulty judging platforms, this is my favourite of the 3D platformers. I'm also quite excited for the upcoming 3D platformer being made by several ex-Rare members, Yooka-Laylee by Playtonic Games, which is very much a spiritual successor to the Banjo Kazooie style, and appears to retain all of the charm. If you're a Banjo Kazooie fan and somehow haven't heard of it, check it out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Really fun game to play as a kid.   :tup

I still have it as well

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
We still have ours too. I only have Banjo Tooie emulated though, because the price for a copy of that game is insane.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I loved this game. And those Jinjos were hard to get as a kid.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I loved this game. And those Jinjos were hard to get as a kid.

Some of those Jinjos were just asking for it. If you want to sit in shark infested waters instead of walking 10ft to the safety of shore, you kind of deserve to die. :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

Now I want to play it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Then my job here is done.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
This is one of my favourites aswell and I agree, it holds up better than the others for me too. I dusted off my N64 last year to replay a lot of stuff and this was one of only two games I ended up finishing (the other being Mystical Ninja starring Goemon, which you probably know?). I tried getting into Tooie, DK64, and Mario 64, but I wasn't interested at the time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is one of my favourites aswell and I agree, it holds up better than the others for me too. I dusted off my N64 last year to replay a lot of stuff and this was one of only two games I ended up finishing (the other being Mystical Ninja starring Goemon, which you probably know?). I tried getting into Tooie, DK64, and Mario 64, but I wasn't interested at the time.

Nope, I haven't heard of that one.
I've finished all of the other platformers you've mentioned, but playing them again recently, they didn't hold my interest as much as Banjo Kazooie. Banjo Tooie was good, but the inability to finish a whole level in one go and all of the back and forth to collect stuff put me off from finishing it again. Mario 64 was a great prototype for the later games, but the controls don't hold up well imo. Donkey Kong 64 felt a bit overdone with the shooting and ammo and all of that, and took away from the platforming.

11. Super Smash Bros (N64) - 1999

Yet another N64 game for my list. Nintendo sure know how to make a good party game, and this is another one I have great memories of playing with other people. A fighting game with Nintendo characters. What could go wrong? Again, Luigi was my guy. Later games added more levels, more items, more characters, and more modes, but I've always preferred the simplicity of the first game.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I've finished all of the other platformers you've mentioned, but playing them again recently, they didn't hold my interest as much as Banjo Kazooie. Banjo Tooie was good, but the inability to finish a whole level in one go and all of the back and forth to collect stuff put me off from finishing it again. Mario 64 was a great prototype for the later games, but the controls don't hold up well imo. Donkey Kong 64 felt a bit overdone with the shooting and ammo and all of that, and took away from the platforming.
Pretty much how I felt about them at the time aswell. On the other hand I powered through both Kazooie and Mystical Ninja and thouroughly enjoyed replaying both. I recommend the latter to you aswell if you're ever looking for something new (but old :P), it's something that would appeal to you I think.

I played the hell out of the original Smash Bros. and Melee, but haven't played anything beyond that. I played Melee more because it was the only one I owned myself, but despite some improvements and new game modes, I have always preferred the first one. Kirby was my go-to in Smash Bros. 64.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Great game!

So you could unlock Goku as a playable character if you beat classic with Samus only using projectiles and not losing a single life on very hard, right? :lol I was so naive back then, totally bought that.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Pretty much how I felt about them at the time aswell. On the other hand I powered through both Kazooie and Mystical Ninja and thouroughly enjoyed replaying both. I recommend the latter to you aswell if you're ever looking for something new (but old :P), it's something that would appeal to you I think.

I played the hell out of the original Smash Bros. and Melee, but haven't played anything beyond that. I played Melee more because it was the only one I owned myself, but despite some improvements and new game modes, I have always preferred the first one. Kirby was my go-to in Smash Bros. 64.

I'm all about new old, so I'll give Mystical Ninja a look. Turns out I even already have it on my PC. I forgot I have every single N64 game on here. :lol
Melee is the only other Smash game I played anywhere near as much as the original, and while I still like it a lot, I found it a bit fast paced, and it had too many level obstacles and items. Seemed like it took away some of the skill in favour of luck and button bashing. Still played the hell out of it though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is probably video game blasphemy but for some reason, and I even own this game, I could never get into it.  It was always a hit with the friends growing up, but I just never really enjoyed it for some reason.  That's just me being weird I guess, it was such a popular game growing up.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I love super smash blob. It's one of my favorite games, my brother play Mario kart 64 or super smash whenever we dust off the n64

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
After this entry, I'm going to do things a bit different for the rest, and group games from the same franchise together, otherwise it will get a bit repetitive, both for my list, and for any discussion. It will also mean I'll finish the list faster. With that said, prepare your anus for platformers.

10. Rayman Legends (XBOX 360) - 2013

I hadn't liked any previous Rayman games, but I took a gamble and bought both Rayman Origins and Raymen Legends together. I decided to play Origins first, since it was released first, and by the end of the first world, I gave up due to the unresponsive dough controls and the annoying enemies that even after death fucked you in the ass metaphorically and possibly even literally.
Let down by that experience, I decided I should probably check out Rayman Legends instead, even though I expected it would be mostly the same. Then the heavens opened up, and a bright light shone down, and I wept tears of joy as I played one of the best 2D platformers of all time.

Every single gripe I had about Rayman Origins was gone (except for the inclusion of the Rayman Origins levels as bonus levels needed to collect all of the teensies). The controls are excellent, and the level design is the best of any game I've played, with everything being well thought out and perfectly paced. The game is insanely difficult at times, but not frustrating or punishing. Mastering each section of a level is a fun challenge that requires split second timing and skill, and is very rewarding to complete.

The game also has a music level in each world, where the music is used as a cue for the precision timing needed to complete the level. They use their own covers of existing songs, including Eye of the Tiger. :metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtAXSpBM8XI

In time I think I'll rank this even higher, but having finished it only once, I don't want to be too quick to rank it over other games I've been playing for longer.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Apparently this is on Steam, so I might give it a go one day. I've never played any of the Rayman games.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Apparently this is on Steam, so I might give it a go one day. I've never played any of the Rayman games.

I'd actually recommend ignoring all other Rayman games and just playing this one. If you're at all a fan of platformers, I'd highly recommend it. If you're on PC, a gamepad would be a must. I couldn't imagine trying to play this on a keyboard.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I do have a cheap and somewhat shitty gamepad just for situations like this.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Most gamepads are the same basic layout these days anyway. Just make sure it has a comfortable analog stick, or else your fingers will die on the more difficult levels. :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never played any of the Rayman games and they never really appealed to me but good write up blob :tup

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth

I'd actually recommend ignoring all other Rayman games and just playing this one. If you're at all a fan of platformers, I'd highly recommend it.

:(

The first Rayman occupied the number one spot on my own list, but I've never played any of the recent games. I've been meaning to pick up Legends in particular ever since it came out, but never got around to doing so. Thanks for giving me an excuse.  :tup
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Ben_Jamin

I only really played the first Rayman. It was hard for me at the time, never was good at timing my jumps.

Legends looks pretty fun though. Might give it a go someday.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
I really like Rayman Origins but I will admit the Legends improves on it in basically every way, it was hard to go back and play Origins after playing Legends for a while, the controls are really improved.

I also really like the original Rayman, and have fond memories of Rayman 3 as well.

screw that raving rabbids garbage tho lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

I'd actually recommend ignoring all other Rayman games and just playing this one. If you're at all a fan of platformers, I'd highly recommend it.

:(

The first Rayman occupied the number one spot on my own list, but I've never played any of the recent games. I've been meaning to pick up Legends in particular ever since it came out, but never got around to doing so. Thanks for giving me an excuse.  :tup

If you love the first game, you must play Legends!
And giving people an excuse to procrastinate is kind of my job description. :blob:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
9. Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - 1994

6. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES) - 1995

I've loved this franchise for as long as I've had a SNES. These games came later in the SNES's life, so they pushed the console to the limit with their beautiful graphics, and high quality music.
The gameplay of the first game was relatively simple, with mostly shorter levels that went from left to right, but had a lot of interesting gimmick levels and ideas. The sequel, Diddy's Kong Quest, improved upon the first game in almost every way, with much larger levels with more areas to explore, and more collectables needed to unlock all of the levels and 100% finish the game. This time, Donkey Kong got swapped out for Dixie Kong, who could hover using her hair (much like Knuckles), and the game added the ability for the characters to team up to reach otherwise unreachable areas. The graphics were even better than the original, easily among the best of the 16 bit era. It also added a lot of new level gimmicks, and more animals you could ride or turn into that varied the gameplay.
There was also a Donkey Kong Country 3, which was nowhere near as good. By this point, the N64 had just been released, so the game felt phoned in. The soundtrack wasn't composed by David Wise as the first two were, and the graphics and gameplay were bland and forgettable. It also didn't feature either Donkey Kong or Diddy Kong, instead starring Dixie Kong and some other Kong that to this day I can never recall the name of, but basically looks like Donkey Kong's inbred cousin.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh man! I love donkey kong country. I never had it but my buddy did so I would come over and play it all the time. Now I need to hunt down a rom of it.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Two of the best games of all time, no doubt.