Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83083 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nintendo tried to do that, but messed up. Starting with MKWii, Battle Mode is team only, and Balloon Battle is no longer an elimination match. You get a new set of balloons once you lose all of yours. MK8 made it even worse by reappropriating race tracks as battle grounds. So, while it IS online, the game mode itself has been neutered.

Sounds lame, could have been like a Twisted Metal type game.  In fact, maybe someone should remake that game for new systems and put it online.

You know how long I've been waiting for Twisted Metal to be made online and good. The one for PS3 was alright but the gameplay suffered.

Didn't even know they made one for the PS3.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Yeah it came out in 2012.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
17. GTA: Vice City (PC) - 2002

I'd never really gotten into GTA before this time, but when I found out this was set in the 1980's, and included a soundtrack of '80s rock/metal, I was in. Nothing got me pumped like cranking Bark at the Moon on VROCK radio and driving as fast as possible down the highway. The open world was so much fun, with almost endless replay value. If I got bored, I could always use the Hunter helicopter to cause destruction, or try to steal a tank, or choose a nice spot and see how long I could hold off the cops with the minigun, or do some insane bike jumps, or mow down people on the beach using the most ridiculous vehicle possible, or go on a killing spree with a hammer, or rob a corner store. Just like real life! There was one of the final missions where I had to race my getaway driver and beat him, which was damn near impossible. So I just modded the game files so my car was faster. :biggrin: Then I started modding the game in other ways, like making the baggage handler so insanely fast I could ramp jump across the entire map. Or making the tank even more OP. Then there were the cheats. Good times.....
Basically I played the hell out of this game. I only played through the whole game once, and then I'd just roam around finding something fun to do.
I've played the other GTA games, but none of them interested me much at all. Vice City just really hit the mark for me.

16. Goldeneye 64 (N64) - 1997

Another game that needs no introduction, for many gamers at the time, this was the console FPS game. The gameplay was fresh and involved, beyond just shooting your way through a game from start to finish, although it had plenty of that too. There were mission objectives, people to save, gadgets, and missions were often time critical. It did a great job of making you feel like James Bond, between the variety of locations, the weapons, the spy tactics, and the memorable soundtrack of Bond remixes. It also rewarded you for being a good shot, with the location of your shot making a big difference (remember, this was 1997). Also it was just plain fun to cover your enemy in blood spots from shots. :lol

But even once you're done with the missions, there was the multiplayer. You could choose from various characters including classics such as Jaws and Oddjob. I was always Boris, because he was the nerd. :blob:
This game might not seem anything special now, and the controls leave a lot to be desired given the standard dual analog on modern FPS games, but at the time, this game was the shit.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Goldeneye is a classic and historic game.  Vice city is still probably the best setting of any GTA game.  It was amazing at the time, but the advancements of the newer ones make those better IMO.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Vice City is my absolute favorite GTA incarnation. The others ain't bad but VC is just great at creating that 80s Miami Vice feel. The music, the setting, the atmosphere, everything fits. I'm a child of the 80s and this game brings me back to the 80s.

The story is very good, the side missions are entertaining, the characters (and their voice actors) are great and the radio stations are the icing on the cake. Blasting VRock while being chased by cops and trying to outrun them is just unbelievably cool.

And there is so much you can do, from just crusin', to pickin' up some girls or just goofing around or bringing havoc and destruction or (I could go on and on). Everything is fun.

This is one of my favorite games. And probably the one I spent the most time with. I completed it twice, first with cheats, because I sucked at some missions and then without cheats as I got better, but the most time was being spent just doing shit and stuff.

And ... this isn't a platformer  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Fantastic choices, Blob. I used to love Goldeneye and continue loving it to this day. The music really helped make it an immersive adventure and I loved the variety of the levels and weapons. Multiplayer was fun but I sucked at it.

Vice City was the first GTA I ever bought but it was actually my Christmas present to my brother in 2002 so I never actually owned it until I drunkenly bought the GTA trilogy (III, VC, SA) for $18 on sale in the PS store earlier this week. I still played VC a lot anyway between my bro's copy and at friends' houses. Ray Liotta REALLY brought Tommy to life and the insane jumps were just incredible fun. I wanna beat III before starting this though so I probably have a few months to wait for it.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I was always terrible at Goldeneye multiplayer. I was terrible at MK64 multiplayer. I sense a theme developing...

Both great games however. I could pick up either today and enjoy the hell out of them. I loved how Goldeneye was able to follow the movie without it bogging down the action, gameplay, and storytelling; and how you didn't just go from point A to point B killing people.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Great update Blob. Two of my favorite games of all time. Vice city was the perfect gets game for me, sure IV and V are spectacles but I feel vice city captured the look and feel of the 80s so well.

Golden eye is amazing, one of the few games that sits next to my brothers n64 for when I come over.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I never finished Goldeneye. Loved that game and Mission Impossible.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DT.net Member
I really don't get why so few people love San Andreas compared to the others.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Vice city is still probably the best setting of any GTA game.  It was amazing at the time, but the advancements of the newer ones make those better IMO.

The newer ones are certainly better in any objective sense, and have a lot of great features. Just personal preference that I haven't enjoyed them as much. :)

And ... this isn't a platformer  :biggrin:

Don't get used to it. I'm just buttering you all up for the final stretch. :biggrin:

I really don't get why so few people love San Andreas compared to the others.

It seems to be universally the most loved to me, at least until GTA 5 came out. Personally, I felt it was bogged down by minigames like all of the training and the turf wars, so I barely got to do missions, and when I did do missions, I got almost nothing for it. After a week of playing, I didn't feel like I'd advanced in the game at all, and wasn't having fun with any of it. I think they just crammed too much in there. :dunno: Just imo of course.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
I loved Vice City for all the same reasons. :metal Amazing game, I had so much fun with it.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Tomislav95

Didn't play Vice City as much as San Andreas but still, it was fun :metal
I missed Mario Kart discussion, I think Gamecube version is the best one (at least of those I played).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Fantastic choices, love them both.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sorry for the delay. I was busy........ doing nothing. :blob:

15. Lego Lord of the Rings (XBOX 360) - 2012

I'm a fan of the Lego game franchise, because they're fun platformers, with a lot of things to unlock, and you always know what you're getting. They're definitely not the kind of game for people who like their games difficult, they're relaxed casual games where you can have fun without having to try too hard. At worst, the Lego games are routine updates on the same familiar formula, but a few of the Lego games stand above the rest in quality, and Lego Lord of the Rings is in my opinion the best of the bunch.

For those unfamiliar with the Lego games, they're simple 3D platformers, where you use a variety of different characters with different abilities, with some simple puzzle solving and building Lego objects to advance through the game. Most of the Lego games have some kind of hub world to get from level to level, and this is one area where this game excels. The hub world of Middle Earth is huge and epic, covering all of the major areas of the LOTR trilogy, and there's a lot to do and collect inbetween playing the levels. The levels themselves are great too. Like all Lego games, it also has a good sense of humour.
I'm not sure if there are many fans of the Lego games here, but if you enjoy them, this one is worth playing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I have that Lego game, bought it on a steam sale like a year ago and only played about an hour, should probably play some more.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Never played any of the Lego games but they've always intrigued me. I'm going to see if Lord Of The Rings pops up on the upcoming steam sale.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sorry again for the lack of updates.

14. WWF No Mercy (N64) - 2000

The first wrestling game I played was WWF Warzone for the N64, which we hired regularly. Then we got the sequel WWF Attitude as soon as it came out. Both games were very good at the time.
Then Acclaim's license for making the WWF games expired, and THQ got the license, and started releasing games using the engine they had previously used for the WCW wrestling games. The first of these was Wrestlemania 2000. We hired the game and at first I hated the game due to its bad graphics and sound (even for the era they were not good), but the more I played it, the more I realized how great the gameplay was. Then when the sequel WWF No Mercy came out, we got that right away. WWF No Mercy was not only the best wrestling game of the generation, but is often ranked as one of the top N64 games, and is still widely considered one of the best wrestling games ever, and the benchmark for all future titles, with great features that the modern games still haven't included. New games have added a lot more features this game didn't have, but in many ways feel too pre-planned and scripted rather than flowing naturally like No Mercy does.

This game came at the peak of a boom period of wrestling in the late '90s / early 2000s, and captured the vibe of the era perfectly. It had a huge roster of characters (over 70), a ton of gameplay modes and options, and an excellent career mode. I also learned everything I know about wrestling move names from the create a wrestler in this game. :lol You could even edit the characters in the game as you could a custom player, so you could keep the characters up to date with their outfits and moves.
This is one of those games that has so many possibilities that you didn't get bored of it. You could create many different kinds of matches by mixing and matching the match rules, and there was always something new to find you could do. Many good times were had having 2 vs 1 handicap matches against The Rock, and finding creative new ways to beat him up. :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
YES!!!!!

I love this game and still from time to time do the 40 man royal rumbles when I get 3 friends to come over. 

Easily the best wrestling game I have ever played.

And with all of those customizations, if you had a game genie, you could mod the game to do even more such as a ladder match inside a cage  :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
YES!!!!!

I love this game and still from time to time do the 40 man royal rumbles when I get 3 friends to come over. 

Easily the best wrestling game I have ever played.

And with all of those customizations, if you had a game genie, you could mod the game to do even more such as a ladder match inside a cage  :metal

Whoa. How well does that actually work? That sounds amazing! :lol We never had a game genie, but I could probably do it inside an emulator to try that out.

The odd thing about the Royal Rumbles was that it went in multiples of 4, so you couldn't actually do a 30 man Rumble. I liked how in matches with multiple people, like 4 man elimination matches or matches with a manager, you could still screw around and interfere with the match, like pulling people's feet to trip them, or tossing a weapon at them from outside. It was cheatastic!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
It actually worked VERY well which was surprising.  I would find the binary code online and type it into the game genie and you could push a button on the game genie and it would drop a ladder into any type of match (or you could set it for any weapon in the game).  I wish I still had that game genie, I still have this game and N64 though.  I used to mod a ton of things as well, like change the colors in the arenas so I could create my own pay per view event essentially.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Damn, you were a total haxor (not to be confused with Haxor Jim Duggan). :neverusethis:
I would have loved to mess around with that kind of stuff as a kid.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I also remember there were online forums where people would post the "how to" or skins for the create a wrestler so you could create the newer or older ones, essentially as you hinted, giving you the ability to have a very varied roster.  Now it would be a lot easier to just download them, but back then the combo of CAW and the internet lead to a lot of creativity.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Because THQ formerly made WCW games and also made Japanese wrestling games, No Mercy had all of that content still included so you could create the non-WWF wrestlers, including all of their moves, taunts, entrances, faces, costumes etc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Because THQ formerly made WCW games and also made Japanese wrestling games, No Mercy had all of that content still included so you could create the non-WWF wrestlers, including all of their moves, taunts, entrances, faces, costumes etc.

Yup, and I loved all those old WCW games too, No Mercy was just the pinnacle of that series of games.  I don't understand why they don't make a new wrestling game with the same style of gameplay.  I can't play any of the newer games that I've tried, they have never felt the same or played the same as those from THQ on the N64.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Yup, and I loved all those old WCW games too, No Mercy was just the pinnacle of that series of games.  I don't understand why they don't make a new wrestling game with the same style of gameplay.  I can't play any of the newer games that I've tried, they have never felt the same or played the same as those from THQ on the N64.

I wasn't a WCW fan, but all of those earlier THQ games were great too. We hired World Tour and Revenge several times. You could see such a steady progression from one game to the next, adding new features, and shuffling around the buttons a little bit to accommodate all of it. They were pushing the N64 cart space to the limit, which is why the music and video was all such shocking quality. It was still impressive how much they crammed in though. The Gamecube games were also very good and shared more in common with the N64 games than the Smackdown series. Day of Reckoning is an underrated gem, but that era didn't have the roster of the Attitude era.

The new games don't progress much from year to year at this point, despite having a lot of areas for improvement. The wrestlers don't sell the injuries and stay down like they did in the N64 games, so often you don't even have the time for a cool setup with tables and ladders etc. No Mercy really gave you that feeling of a hard fought match when your character would hold his leg and move slowly, and every time you got knocked down, he'd lie there twitching for half a minute before slowly crawling his way back up (for the obligatory low blow attempt). I liked that you could stay down and play possum if you didn't touch a button, or knock someone out cold to give yourself time to set up an awesome move.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I can't believe I forgot about this game. I would play it with my buddy after school almost every day for a summer.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I have only seen or heard the word "hired" used in conjunction with employees or hookers, never video games.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I have only seen or heard the word "hired" used in conjunction with employees or hookers, never video games.

ie. rented.

But I'm ok with the hooker connection. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

ie. rented.

But I'm ok with the hooker connection. :lol

So when you return the game, are you firing it?

• DT.net Member
I was noticing when going back to look at how long these lists took to unfold that most took more than six weeks and would often have numerous spots with only one update per week. Some people got theirs done in a month or not much longer but not many. I think it shows pretty clearly that most of us have lives busy enough to make it difficult to keep our lists updated with a frequency to match the interest level of this thread's followers.

Potential solution?

Before each new list starts, the list maker can simply submit their entire list to me via PM that way I can just make updates every 2-3 days with 2 games in each update (the easiest way to do this would be for the member to already have their updates formed as they'd like them to appear with any formatting or IMG tags or links to external pages done in a way that I can merely just copy/paste their post into this thread.) I'll also put a header at the top of each update with the list maker's name and the name of the list so we'll always know who it is since this solution would involve me being the one making the update posts.

Would this work for y'all starting on the next list?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sorry b_f. I'll try to speed it up, it's easy to lose track of time when you have no schedule to live by.  :blush

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
13. Carmageddon 2 (PC) - 1998

Technically Carmageddon is a racing game, although I could probably count on one hand the number of "races" I won by actually driving the course. The more satisfying way to win a race was to destroy all of your opponents. The car damage in this game was amazing, with not only the typical dents and losing panels, but your entire car's chassis could get bent and twisted to the point that the car wouldn't even drive straight, if it even drove at all. Your car could even get cut clean in half from a light pole or barricade, and have you driving half a car around. The game had damage for the individual parts of your car including the engine, wheels, suspension etc, which you could repair in game, but it would cost you money. This all made fighting your opponents a lot of fun, and there was a lot of creativity and freedom to how you went about playing it.
The vehicles themselves were brutal and ridiculous, designed for carnage. The vehicles included everything from Volkswagens with tank treads to combine harvesters and dump trucks, most of which had giant hooks or spikes on the front to impale your opponents. But it wasn't just the cars being pummeled, oh no. There were pedestrians, dogs, cows, deer, sheep etc, which could all be slaughtered hilariously to gain some points and race time. There were also cool powerups, like shooting springs from your car, pinball mode, moon gravity, and a giant wrecking ball attached to your car.
When I first got this game, my friend and I stayed up for two days straight playing it. Then we got the sequel TDR 2000, and were hugely disappointed with how awful and watered down it was. They more recently released Carmageddon Reincarnation, which looks pretty good, but I've yet to try that one out.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Blob, you and I should make a Carmaggedon reboot. Surely we'll make millions

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Blob, you and I should make a Carmaggedon reboot. Surely we'll make millions

You mean like this? :lol
https://store.steampowered.com/app/249380/