Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83068 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I played and beat Yoshi's Island and even wanted to make a cleanup pass to unlock the hidden level in each world by getting 100s in each level but, despite all that exposure to it, it never clicked with me even remotely as much as any real Mario game. At the time, we knew Ultra 64 was just around the corner (though I don't think we knew we were still almost an entire year out since they delayed it numerous times) so that coupled with the impressiveness of the PS' graphics made this game's graphics more of an awkward novelty to me than anything else.

I also was annoyed by lots of minor things. One being that the ground often had textures that you'd not line up with as in the case of some of the shrubbery you'd end up standing behind or angled areas you'd jump onto that didn't have clearly defined contact points so it felt off to me when I was just trying to casually run through levels I was already familiar with.

The music didn't do it for me at all, really, and this game just felt sluggish and controlled in a way that felt very unnatural to me. Titling it Super Mario World 2 I thought was just a big disservice to the franchise as well. You wanna make a weird, experimental game? I have no issue with that. Just don't milk the real franchise's cache for sales.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I played and beat Yoshi's Island and even wanted to make a cleanup pass to unlock the hidden level in each world by getting 100s in each level but, despite all that exposure to it, it never clicked with me even remotely as much as any real Mario game. At the time, we knew Ultra 64 was just around the corner (though I don't think we knew we were still almost an entire year out since they delayed it numerous times) so that coupled with the impressiveness of the PS' graphics made this game's graphics more of an awkward novelty to me than anything else.

I also was annoyed by lots of minor things. One being that the ground often had textures that you'd not line up with as in the case of some of the shrubbery you'd end up standing behind or angled areas you'd jump onto that didn't have clearly defined contact points so it felt off to me when I was just trying to casually run through levels I was already familiar with.

The music didn't do it for me at all, really, and this game just felt sluggish and controlled in a way that felt very unnatural to me. Titling it Super Mario World 2 I thought was just a big disservice to the franchise as well. You wanna make a weird, experimental game? I have no issue with that. Just don't milk the real franchise's cache for sales.

Maybe that's why they made Yoshi's Story it's own title. But then, it also doesn't have Mario in it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Sorry for the delay! Now for a couple more racing games to continue the list.

19. Rock n Roll Racing (MD/SNES) - 1993

Here's another game that's pretty well summarized by its title. Rock n Roll Racing is an isometric racing game, where you race monster trucks around on alien worlds, using a variety of weapons to take out your opponents, and upgrading/replacing your vehicle to keep up with the increasing difficulty as the game progresses. Oh yeah, and also it has a badass soundtrack of impressively accurate and rockin' 16 bit renditions of classic rock songs including Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Deep Purple - Highway Star, Radar Love, Bad to the Bone, and Born to be Wild. I'd even say it has some of the best sound on the SNES. It also has commentary to help you keep track of the action.
This is a game that I discovered thanks to emulation, back in 2000. My friend went on a downloading spree of every game from every console, so I'd go through trying them, and with a name like Rock n Roll Racing, I of course had to check this out and confirm its rock credibility. Upon starting the game, the first thing I heard was the opening riff of Bad to the Bone kick in. Ok, unexpected. Then I start a race, and I hear Paranoid. BLACK SABBATH? ON A 16 BIT CONSOLE GAME? *head explode*

I insist you check out the first couple of minutes of this video to get the complete feel for the game complete with awesome soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Pk2qNVvKk

18. Mario Kart 64 (N64) - 1996

Does this game even need a write up? Often imitated, but rarely duplicated, Mario Kart is one of the all time essential party games, and a must for any Nintendo console owner. The original SNES game hasn't held up as well imo due to the flat and simple nature of the levels, but Mario Kart 64 set the bar high for future games. I'm not saying Mario Kart 64 is the best of them, but it's certainly the one I've sunk the most time into playing with friends and family.
Like with many Nintendo games, I'm always Luigi. Being a middle child, I never got first preference, so I think I've grown quite fond of the lesser Mario Bro. :lol Good old, dependable, middle of the road Luigi. Never gets the recognition of Mario, despite being the taller, slimmer brother. Sure, he never got to save the princess, but it's not like Mario ever got anything for that either. It's been decades, and he's still toiling away as a lowly plumber. Anyway, I digress. Mario Kart. You know it. You've played it. You have an opinion on it. Go!

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Two great picks. I never owned Rock N' Roll Racing but I remember renting it from the video shop quite a lot. Loved the soundtrack even though at the time I was only familiar with a couple of the original songs.

Mario Kart 64 is probably a contender for most played N64 for me, I played the shit out of it single-player not to mention in split-screen multiplayer. I was pretty good at it too. Yoshi was always my first choice, Peach second if someone else got to him first.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Two great picks. I never owned Rock N' Roll Racing but I remember renting it from the video shop quite a lot. Loved the soundtrack even though at the time I was only familiar with a couple of the original songs.

I knew all of them except for Highway Star. Even though I was familiar with Deep Purple, I hadn't heard Highway Star, so this game actually got me into that song. :lol

Mario Kart 64 is probably a contender for most played N64 for me, I played the shit out of it single-player not to mention in split-screen multiplayer. I was pretty good at it too. Yoshi was always my first choice, Peach second if someone else got to him first.

My brother was always Yoshi, my sister was always Mario, so I got used to Luigi. Even though I love DK, I couldn't handle his slow as shit acceleration.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Yeah MK64 was a bit imbalanced in that regard because the heavies had slower acceleration and a slower top speed. Light characters were king because they were better than heavy or medium at both.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Mario Kart 64 is the only game I ever played on the N64. Was a great game and a lot of fun. Back in the day I didn't own a console myself, so I had to play at my friends.

My wife still has a working N64 and when I'm feeling nostalgic I plug it in and play Mario Kart.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah MK64 was a bit imbalanced in that regard because the heavies had slower acceleration and a slower top speed. Light characters were king because they were better than heavy or medium at both.

I didn't find that the advantage of the big characters was really any advantage at all in practice. Aside from that, it came down more to skill and a bit of luck.

Mario Kart 64 is the only game I ever played on the N64. Was a great game and a lot of fun. Back in the day I didn't own a console myself, so I had to play at my friends.

My wife still has a working N64 and when I'm feeling nostalgic I plug it in and play Mario Kart.

Not a bad choice as far as playing only one game on a console goes.
Although you could probably say that about most games with the word "Mario" in the title. :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Never played Ronkonkoma N Roll Racing.

Mario Kart 64 was my favorite game on the 64 besides Mission Impossible.  I was so good at it my brother,  who hated losing to me, hated that I always used Yoshi.   

So in his jealous rage of jealousy called me Joshi. :lol

It's stuck whenever we play.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Never played Ronkonkoma N Roll Racing.

GOOD GOD KING.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Goddamm spellcheck.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Also it sounds like a Falco song. :lol

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
Wow! These are some really old games! I've never heard about them, well except Mario Kart. Eagerly following.  :tup
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Snow Dog

Rock N Roll racing was amazingly fun. The fact that you got extra money for buying gear when blowing someone up made things great. My brother was king at this game. He'd launch missiles from all the way across the map and light my ass up. Knew just what angle to fire at to hit his target. And those fucking cluster mines. He had just the perfect timing near the edges of the tracks to where I'd hit them just as they started spreading so the damage was massive. And if that didn't kill me, they'd launch me up off the track anyway to my demise. Great game for sure though.

And Mario Kart 64 was also great. Definitely was Yoshi or Toad when playing. Still favored the original MK for its charming simplicity, but this was a worthy follow up.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Loved rock n roll racing, that must've been one of my favorite games ever and I don't think I've ever completed the whole thing :lol I remember the one where you had to race this dude in the hovercraft and I just couldn't beat him. Great soundtracks though.

Actually was never that much into the racing part of mario kart 64, but probably the thing most people talk about of this game and what stuck with me the most was the battle mini-games with the three balloons. In particular the map block fort. I think it even made its return in one of the later mariokart games as a retro map because it was so acclaimed, but it just wasn't the same anymore :sadpanda:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Never played or even heard of rock and roll racing but I'm a huge fan of MK64. Still play it every few months with my brother. I was always toad.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Loved rock n roll racing, that must've been one of my favorite games ever and I don't think I've ever completed the whole thing :lol I remember the one where you had to race this dude in the hovercraft and I just couldn't beat him. Great soundtracks though.

What I usually do is save up all of my money and hold off upgrading or buying a new car as long as possible so I can get the better vehicles to compete with those guys. I always loved the Battle Trax the most.

Actually was never that much into the racing part of mario kart 64, but probably the thing most people talk about of this game and what stuck with me the most was the battle mini-games with the three balloons. In particular the map block fort. I think it even made its return in one of the later mariokart games as a retro map because it was so acclaimed, but it just wasn't the same anymore :sadpanda:

The battle mode is hella fun, especially the block fort. Only recently I was playing that with 3 players, and it's still as much fun as anything. Definitely my most played map.

Offline Cable

I did not like MK64. I loved F-ZeroX, so it was not a N64 system thing. I loved MK Wii, and MK8 looked awesome but have not played much.

For me, MK64 was too hard to drive properly, and then also see things clearly. The game to me was a mess of graphics, and is an unfortunate victim of the era. Too much nostalgia IMO is tied to MK64 and MK SNES. That being said, there are some awesome tracks in the game.
---

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
k
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:38:27 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
Super Metroid

This is tied for #1 on my list :) It's a very special game.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Some of my all time favourite video games :

Ok, but this isn't your list. If you want to do your own, get yourself added to the thread, and wait your turn like the rest of us. :biggrin:

I did not like MK64. I loved F-ZeroX, so it was not a N64 system thing. I loved MK Wii, and MK8 looked awesome but have not played much.

For me, MK64 was too hard to drive properly, and then also see things clearly. The game to me was a mess of graphics, and is an unfortunate victim of the era. Too much nostalgia IMO is tied to MK64 and MK SNES. That being said, there are some awesome tracks in the game.

I can't say I know what you're talking about. I don't think MK64 could be much easier to drive, and the graphics are very clear and basic. Never heard that complaint before, even from people who are new to the game without any nostalgia attached.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo

I can't say I know what you're talking about. I don't think MK64 could be much easier to drive, and the graphics are very clear and basic. Never heard that complaint before, even from people who are new to the game without any nostalgia attached.
I never found MK64 hard to control at all either - however, the graphics are, IMHO, very much a product of its time. Every single N64 game I go back to look hideous, if you ask me.  :biggrin: Really blocky and low-res. However, still a solid game. :tup

Rock N Roll Racing on the other hand...  :metal I never played it either until emulator days, but holy shit, did I enjoy the shit of this!
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

I never found MK64 hard to control at all either - however, the graphics are, IMHO, very much a product of its time. Every single N64 game I go back to look hideous, if you ask me.  :biggrin: Really blocky and low-res. However, still a solid game. :tup

I wouldn't say MK64 looks hideous, even though undeniably very dated.
The pre-rendered character sprites are used to good effect and hold up better than the low poly models do (Diddy Kong Racing was released a year later, and those characters look downright atrocious), and although it's blocky as games of the time are regardless of platform, for such an early 3D/64 title, the graphics hold up reasonably. They don't compare with more recent games, but the simple cartoony look works in its favour compared to the games that tried to be more realistic and made the deficits of early 3D more painfully obvious.
For comparison, I think Mario 64 looks really bad, as do the vast majority of PS titles I've seen, but I still like the look of Mario Kart 64. Does it look great? No, but I don't find it offensive on the eyes like a lot of those games look now either.

And I'm glad you and other people are familiar with Rock n Roll Racing! :metal

Offline Cable

Regarding the controls, I think a fair amount is due to the n64 control stick. I recall issues with WaveRace 64. Both MK64 and WR64 were earlier into the console's lifespan. But this is part of the issue with MK's legacy. While other games that were not racing did not suffer as much IMO early on, such as Mario64, Turok, and Pilotwing64, the control was always challenging for me on MK64. The other issue is I feel the karts were purposely made unpredictable. I feel this due to how MK Wii was with karts, compared to the bikes. The karts constantly over steered or under steered in both MK64 and MK Wii. Couple this with the n64 control stick, and earlier in console life, and the result is not so great.

Benefiting from being released almost two years after MK64, FZero X not only had more vehicles on the track, but had high frame rates and arguably better graphics. Further, the tracks have much more peril, and the addition of the third dimension so to speak of flying off the track. Yet it was easier to control.

So what I'm left with on MK64 is a more family friendly theme, and a concession of it being earlier into the console's lifespan. That is about it. FZero X otherwise mops the floor with MK64 on every other front. Kind of like Mario64 vs Zelda 64. Zelda benefited a lot from the pros and cons of Mario64.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:13:36 AM by CableX »
---

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm still not understanding that at all. MK64 handles predictably and responsively, especially once you've mastered the sliding with speed boosts. Even having played every one of the later Mario Kart titles on both the main consoles and the portables (with the one exception of the Wii U one), the controls in MK64 are not a step backwards to come back to, and still great.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:58:51 AM by BlobVanDam »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
You cant go wrong with MK64, even to this day I can still get girls to play that game with me when they come over.  It's a classic.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
MK64 is the tits. So many fun nights playing it with my bro and our friend Norm.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Ben_Jamin

MK64 is an awesome game in the series. I played it a lot. I was always toad.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm still not understanding that at all. MK64 handles predictably and responsively, especially once you've mastered the sliding with speed boosts. Even having played every one of the later Mario Kart titles on both the main consoles and the portables (with the one exception of the Wii U one), the controls in MK64 are not a step backwards to come back to, and still great.

I agree with you completely. There was never an issue of control with mario kart. Once you learn how to do the power slides you're golden and you can pretty much conquer every map.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
MK64 doesn't control poorly, just differently than later titles. Especially when it comes to the power slides. I could never get the hang of those in MK64.

I've played every console MK from MK64 onwards, and MKDS as well, and MK64 is easily my least favorite of them all. It has some awesome track designs, but the only area in which it beats most other MKs is its Battle Mode. Battle Mode in general went to shit in MKWii, and has gotten even worse from there. I really hope the next game is a return to form in this area.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I was never a huge fan of battle mode. It was fun but I rarely played it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was never a huge fan of battle mode. It was fun but I rarely played it.

Same here.  I actually never really played any future MKs after 64, but it would be sweet if they had an online battle mode with like 8 characters on a large map.  Is this a thing?

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Nintendo tried to do that, but messed up. Starting with MKWii, Battle Mode is team only, and Balloon Battle is no longer an elimination match. You get a new set of balloons once you lose all of yours. MK8 made it even worse by reappropriating race tracks as battle grounds. So, while it IS online, the game mode itself has been neutered.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nintendo tried to do that, but messed up. Starting with MKWii, Battle Mode is team only, and Balloon Battle is no longer an elimination match. You get a new set of balloons once you lose all of yours. MK8 made it even worse by reappropriating race tracks as battle grounds. So, while it IS online, the game mode itself has been neutered.

Sounds lame, could have been like a Twisted Metal type game.  In fact, maybe someone should remake that game for new systems and put it online.

Online Ben_Jamin

Sounds lame, could have been like a Twisted Metal type game.  In fact, maybe someone should remake that game for new systems and put it online.

You know how long I've been waiting for Twisted Metal to be made online and good. The one for PS3 was alright but the gameplay suffered.