Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83079 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
We owned every counsel until I was 25 it seemed.  I played the hell out of both games.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
We owned every counsel until I was 25 it seemed.  I played the hell out of both games.

Cool, I didn't realize you had a Master System. I pretty much assumed your era stopped somewhere around Space Invaders. :P
Any thoughts on these two?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
We owned every counsel until I was 25 it seemed.
Oh, king.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Cool, I didn't realize you had a Master System. I pretty much assumed your era stopped somewhere around Space Invaders. :P

When I have time.  I will.

We owned every counsel until I was 25 it seemed.
Oh, king.

So can you tell from my phone I've counseled employees at work? :lol

Console. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Cable

Loved MK2, I sucked it up during that game, but enjoyed it on SNES

Nice pick on MegaDrive Sonic 2 that many may have not played. I only played a borrowed version of Sonic 1 or 2 on Gamegear, I heard they were ports or something of the Master system ones.
---

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Obviously Sonic took over my world.  It was fast paced, goal orientated and damn would it piss me off if I didn't finish a round.  I've played so many versions of Sonic that they blur together these days.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World was a game my brother played a lot.  I played but never really got into it like him.  At that time Sega was pumping out games by the bucketful and with so many systems in our house, this game tended to get overlooked by myself.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I haven't played either of those games but on my next free day (which won't be for a while it seems) I'm going to play that version of Sonic 2. I've never played t before. Love the list so far.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nice pick on MegaDrive Sonic 2 that many may have not played. I only played a borrowed version of Sonic 1 or 2 on Gamegear, I heard they were ports or something of the Master system ones.

Yep, the Game Gear versions were ports of the Master System versions, with the main difference being that the Game Gear has a lower resolution screen, so you see less of the level (and I think they changed a couple of bosses to fit the screen better). They're known for being more difficult for this reason, but are essentially the same games.

Offline Cable

Yep, the Game Gear versions were ports of the Master System versions, with the main difference being that the Game Gear has a lower resolution screen, so you see less of the level (and I think they changed a couple of bosses to fit the screen better). They're known for being more difficult for this reason, but are essentially the same games.

That totally makes sense, I'm totally stupid on that and did not know.  :facepalm: Also explains why I gave up on it.  :lol That is generally not my MO at all, especially outside of handhelds. But outside of that,  Sonic overall to me (1-3 on GEN) was harder than SMB3 & SMW. Maybe that's because I had Nintendo stuff growing up, vs. Sega stuff. So it having limitations on the handheld just intensified my feeling back in my tweenage years. I feel overall handhelds/portables were more challenging vs. consoles. Even on the GBA, I had the SMW port and I felt that was a smidge harder than the SNES version. I remember walking away from MegaMan on Gameboy as well. So that is probably a lot to do with, I'm guessing, a lower screen resolution on many handhelds?
---

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
The difference between the SNES/GBA screen wasn't as big as the difference on the SMS/GG, but it was also a little bit smaller. It also doesn't help playing on a tiny low quality LCD screen that's fixed to your controller vs a TV screen either.

I played Sonic 2 on the Game Gear a lot, but I actually played the Master System version with the converter, rather than the Game Gear version. I believe doing it that way gave you the full screen rather than cropped off.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
The funny thing is that I know Sega master system was sold in my area because I remember seeing it in stores, but not a single kid at my school had one, even the rich ass kids.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
I played Sonic 2 GG way after the fact, and... it's "special" for sure, ahah, never played too far into it though honestly.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
23. Limbo (PC) - 2011

This is a game I only played for the first time very recently, and I loved it from the start, with its unique look and atmosphere, and simple controls. It's not a long game by any means, taking less than a couple of hours to finish on my first run, and I was playing slowly, but there's not a wasted minute of gameplay. The whole game is well thought out from start to finish, with great attention to detail, and clever puzzles that require precision platforming. For a black and white 2D platformer, it's incredibly immersive, with a dark unsettling vibe. Playing this game in the dark with headphones on was an amazing experience. If you're a fan of platformers (and even if you're not), this game is definitely worth a look.

22. Beetle Adventure Racing (N64) - 1999

I bought this game second hand without knowing much about it, hoping for a fun Mario Kart type game, and it didn't disappoint. The name pretty much says it all; it's a racing game with Volkswagen Beetles. The game definitely draws inspiration from Mario Kart, with simple driving controls, levels with multiple paths, speed boosts, and multi-player arenas involving weapons. As you progress through the tournament mode, you unlock more levels, and unlock better Beetles, with the two best vehicles being the alien car (with a funky pearlescent paint job), and the cop car (which had a car siren as its horn that would make all of the AI cars pull over).
The levels were all amazing, with hidden paths upon hidden paths, with lots of shortcuts and cool easter eggs, so exploration was very rewarding, and there was a lot of replay value in each level. The game wouldn't stop you going anywhere in the level, so a lot of my time was spent trying to find new shortcuts, and occasionally managing to get to places you weren't supposed to get to, which would result in falling off the level into invisible water below. Oops. But there was a lot of great scenery to find, including a Jurassic Park area, a dragon, a crashed alien spaceship, all sorts of fun stuff.
The vibe of the levels were all fantastic, and the graphics were quite good for the N64, as was the funky soundtrack.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 12:27:00 PM by BlobVanDam »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I loved Limbo blob but we've spoken about it already. I've never played the beetle game for n64 but the screen shots remind a lot of midtown maddness for some reason.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Limbo has been on my radar for a while, but I haven't bought or played it yet. Never heard of the Beetle racing game.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've never seen that Limbo game.  You are right about the atmosphere.  It looks amazing.

I played that Beetle game a ton with my brother. Even my wife got into playing that game.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Omg, I totally forgot about Limbo. I totally agree, such a good game.  :heart

Except for that spider. I hate that fucking spider.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Omg, I totally forgot about Limbo. I totally agree, such a good game.  :heart

Except for that spider. I hate that fucking spider.

:lol Yeah. I didn't mind the spider, but it's at a point in the game when you don't know anything, so there were many deaths due to trial and error, especially figuring out how to escape from him over the water.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
tal kombat 2 was probably my favourite also, was such a step up from the first one, was ahead of it's time and nothing we'd ever seen before.

That Sonic the Hedghog on Master System I was in love with also.  It was so unique and quite tricky.  The thing I loved about it most was getting the hidden emeralds around the zones, they were tough to find.  The zone's were quite detailed and exciting for the time too.  The first one was so different opting for going away from the Green Hill style we're used to, to the underground zone. (even though the Greenhill came later in the game)  The aqua zone was unique also and I absolutely loved the Scrambled Egg and Crystal Egg zone, they were amazing.

That Alex Kidd game was so hard and addictive too.  Such a great feature having it built in to the system.  Took me so long to clock that one, and I don't know how anyone could have gone through the whole game and be able to work out the star moon combination thingy without knowing it beforehand, so impossible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i like limbo, but i don't think it's a super amazing game or anything. the atmosphere is great but the gameplay itself is... mediocre. honestly the only gameplay part i really dug was the secret sound-based room, that was cool/super terrifying stuff  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
i like limbo, but i don't think it's a super amazing game or anything. the atmosphere is great but the gameplay itself is... mediocre. honestly the only gameplay part i really dug was the secret sound-based room, that was cool/super terrifying stuff  :lol

I understand that. The gameplay itself is very simple and basic, but I really liked how they used it. If you took away the great atmosphere and look, it wouldn't be nearly as engaging or good a game, but it worked really well as a whole package for me.

That Sonic the Hedghog on Master System I was in love with also.  It was so unique and quite tricky.  The thing I loved about it most was getting the hidden emeralds around the zones, they were tough to find.  The zone's were quite detailed and exciting for the time too.  The first one was so different opting for going away from the Green Hill style we're used to, to the underground zone. (even though the Greenhill came later in the game)  The aqua zone was unique also and I absolutely loved the Scrambled Egg and Crystal Egg zone, they were amazing.

I could only ever get the chaos emerald in Underground Zone. The one in Sky High Zone is easy enough to spot if you stick to the hangglider, but I never managed to nab it as a kid. It's only been more recently with emulation that I've managed to get to Crystal Egg Zone.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
21. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi Island (SNES) - 1995

This is a game that I only had the opportunity to play thanks to emulation, as I never owned it on console. Yoshi Island is a bit of a departure for the main Mario series. The main character you control is Yoshi, who carries around baby Mario on his back. When you get hit, baby Mario starts floating off in a bubble and you have to retrieve him before the short timer runs out, or you die. Ok, that description doesn't make it sound good at all, and admittedly, the sound of baby Mario crying is pretty obnoxious, but beyond that is a strong platformer that's a lot of fun. As Yoshi, you can hover, eat enemies and turn them into eggs, shoot eggs, and ground pound, which has all become standard for the character since. The game has a hand drawn crayon drawn look that sets it apart from previous Mario games, and typically catchy music from Koji Kondo.
This one might not be for every oldschool Mario fan, but I enjoyed it.

Oh, and I can't discuss this game without mentioning this section of the game-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ1OclnEKAQ

20. Trine (PC) - 2009

Here's another game I only played for the first time recently, in fact I bought and played it not long after Limbo. I'd heard about this for years as being a great modern platformer, so as soon as it went on sale on Steam, I nabbed both Trine and Trine 2.
Trine is a 2D platformer that has a unique blend of elements. It has a medieval setting, and you have 3 characters you can freely switch between, each one with different abilities. There's a knight who has the close combat skills, able to use a sword to kill enemies, and you can aim your shield to protect yourself from any direction. There's the thief, who can shoot arrows, and has a grappling hook to help make your way through the levels and find secret areas. And last but not least, the wizard, who can use his magic to conjure boxes and platforms, and move other objects to solve physics puzzles. There's plenty of stuff to collect in each level to upgrade your characters with new abilities, which adds even more to the gameplay.
The great thing about the physics element is that there's no set way to solve a problem and progress. I'll come up with my own way to get past an obstacle, then watch a walkthrough video and see someone else do it completely differently. It means you're rarely stuck trying to figure out the one solution to a problem. The controls are great, being not too difficult to learn and remember, but requiring some skill to master. The graphics are also very nice, about as much as my lowly graphics card can handle. :lol
After finishing Trine, I moved on to Trine 2, but they made some changes that made it not as fun for me, despite some amazing creative additions to the gameplay.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I haven't played the first Trine, but I have played Trine 2, which I loved and maybe half of Trine 3 which was great.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I haven't played the first Trine, but I have played Trine 2, which I loved and maybe half of Trine 3 which was great.

Trine 1 is very similar in gameplay, but a big difference for me is that the upgrade system felt a lot more integral to the gameplay, with specific upgrades given to you at particular points in chests (instead of the chests just having pointless collectibles), and you couldn't remove abilities and shift around the points like you can in Trine 2, so collecting XP mattered a lot more. But if you enjoy 2, I don't see why you wouldn't enjoy 1. Then again, I didn't like 2 so much, so maybe I'm wrong. :lol

3 looked... different. If I see it for super cheap I might try it out, but the ratings aren't nearly as good for it, and it appears to have the same issues that 3D platformers in general have. If I'd liked Trine 2 more, I'd probably be more interested in 3.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Yes Yoshi's Island! Such a lovely game.

Haven't played the Trine games, but they look very nice.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Never heard of Trine, but I think I'm going to try it out. I LOVE a good platformer, and you gave it good review, and I see it's in the 80's for most other reviews (I've loved games with a lot less of ratings). It seems Metroidvania-y? If so, I'm all over it. What system did you play it on?... cuz I'll have to get it for PS4
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
could never get into the trine games. they're visually absolutely beautiful but the gameplay felt really repetitive and sloppy to me.

oh and yoshi's island is great

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yes Yoshi's Island! Such a lovely game.

Haven't played the Trine games, but they look very nice.

Exactly this.

Offline Cable

Didn't play SMW2, but I liked your description.  :tup Based on your writeup, the timing of the game was later into the SNES cycle. I think at that point I was into PC gaming, in conjunction with more mature SNES games (MK2!). It sounds like New Super Mario Bros Wii (cannot speak for the others) got that whole Mario bubble thing from this then.
---

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Yoshi's Island is a great game! But my god that crying sound!!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Fuck yeah Yoshi's Island. :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Never heard of Trine, but I think I'm going to try it out. I LOVE a good platformer, and you gave it good review, and I see it's in the 80's for most other reviews (I've loved games with a lot less of ratings). It seems Metroidvania-y? If so, I'm all over it. What system did you play it on?... cuz I'll have to get it for PS4

I'm not sure how Metroidvania-y it is, maybe a bit. I actually haven't gotten much into those types of platformers.
I list the system I played each game on along with the game's title. I played it on PC with the XBOX 360 gamepad, so I expect it would play similarly on the console versions. The PS4 would also run it a lot better than my PC does.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
oh, trine's not really metroidvania-y at all. the levels can be a bit long but they're all linear and there's a few points of no return in some of the levels but yeah very much not a metroidvania

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
oh, trine's not really metroidvania-y at all. the levels can be a bit long but they're all linear and there's a few points of no return in some of the levels but yeah very much not a metroidvania

That's what I thought, but I've never played a Castlevania, and only played a bit of Super Metroid. :blush
The only similarity is unlocking character abilities, but I think that inspiration came from other styles of games.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Beetle Adventure Racing :heart
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey