Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83084 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
OP from the original incarnation of this thread by Sacul on May 22, 2014, 10:41:47 AM:

(The original thread can be found here.)

The music forum has lots of top 50s with albums, so why not do the same with video games? The thing is: you make a list of your 25 all-time fav games, write something about why that game made it to your top and try to update the list daily if possible. Just like the top 50 threads. Because 25 games aren't so much, with one list running at time we'll be fine. This OP is to keep track of the lists, make statistic with the rankings, link to past tops, etc. If you want to sign up for this, send me a PM and I'll add you to the waiting list.

Read before posting
To post your list, reply this thread with your updates - this means the lists will be run only on this post. This is intended to avoid another threads on this sub-forum. I'll send you a PM to tell you when you can start with your top. Also, try to finish it within or less than a month.

Finished Lists
Dark Castle - Bodacious Top 25 *Sploosh* (May - July 2014)
Scorpion - The age of the Scorpion (July 2014)
Genowyn - Japan: The List (July - August 2014)
Big Hath - Retro Time! (September - October 2014)
The King in Crimson's time to rule (October - November 2014)
Outcrier's fav games and whatever (January - February 2015)
It's-a me, ReaperKK! (February - March 2015)
All Hail Zantera and his list! (March - April 2015)
Another controversial list (April - May 2015)
cramx3's "Chillest of the Chill" list (May - July 2015)
Randaran's randy list (July 2015)
Lynxo's "It hurts when I poo" list (August - September 2015)
OpenYourEyes311's "(Lack of) Variety is the Spice of Life" (September - November 2015)
Accelerando's Princess Is In Another Castle (November 2015 - January 2016)
jingle.boy: Rise of the Fogey (January - March 2016)
CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (April - May 2016)
BlobVanDam's "I Hope You Like Platformers" (May - July 2016)
Stadler: Must get 100% (August 2016)
Scar's Top 25 Video Games v. Mario, Mario, Maria, Merio (August - October 2016)

Now Playing

Parama's Top 25 Video Games Lists v. Cool Games You've Probably Never Heard Of

Waiting List

Jarlaxle
adace
Blind Faythe

Will go in the future
Evermind
Full Speed
Sycsa

On the 5th Dimension
SystematicThought's Obscure stuff (November 2014 - ??? )

DTF's fav games

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since Sacul no longer had room in his schedule to run this, I'll be running this thread for the foreseeable future. Just pm me here or reply to this thread if you wanna be added to the list or if you're already on the list and need to be shifted further down the list in case you think you won't be prepared to start your list at the time your turn would've come up.

Thanks!

ya boy _floyd
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:08:40 AM by black_biff_stadler »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. 2.0 BlobVanDam's starting soon!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 10:39:31 AM »
Nice one dude!

I've locked the old thread for now - shall I archive it?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 11:15:19 AM »
I'm completely in favor of that  :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 11:56:27 AM »
Alrighty, done!

Looking forward to Blob's list.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 01:43:44 PM »
Ourcrier's fav games and whatever

Ourcrier my ass. It's Outcrier, goddammit  :censored
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 01:52:33 PM »
Sounds like if anyone's our crier, it's you. But that was actually Sacul's spelling, not mine, and I'll fix it.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 01:57:56 PM »
Sounds like if anyone's our crier, it's you. But that was actually Sacul's spelling, not mine, and I'll fix it.

I know, that bastard  :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 02:21:54 PM »
Although, R-Crier woulda been a cool NES game title.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 04:55:58 AM »
Glad to see the thread up and I can't wait for blobs list.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 05:50:07 AM »
I'm excited for the next list. Bring it on! :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 06:51:39 AM »
Alright, it's on like Donkey Kong! Let's get this list started. I give you-

BlobVanDam's Top 25 Video Games v. I Hope You Like Platformers

Ah, I still remember the first time I ever played a video game, I would have been about 4, so probably around 1989-90. It was Alex Kidd in Miracle World, at a party. Because of my lack of experience and hand-eye coordination, I died immediately on the first enemy. It was a disappointingly brief experience, as first times often are. :neverusethis:
It wasn't long after that we got an Atari 2600 (oldschool even at the time), and a Sega Master System, and was regularly playing a NES at a friend's house too. Further down the line, we got a Sega Mega Drive (aka Sega Genesis for you US folks), and a SNES, then the N64, and so on. As my most frequent playing was done throughout the '90s, I was big on platformers.

In the past 10-15 years, I've gamed less, as I'm not into a lot of the popular genres these days. More recently, I've gotten back into gaming a little bit between the XBOX 360 and PC, but I'm a very casual gamer these days. Most of the oldies on my list are well known, and have appeared on other people's lists. There are also some more recent games that have made their way into my rankings, and I've still got a lot more I want to play. I'm just waiting for dem Steam sales.........

I'll start off with an honorable mention that was initially on my list, but then just got bumped at the last minute.

Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES) - 1994

Fighting games have never been one of my main genres, but every '90s kid played Mortal Kombat and/or Street Fighter at some point on some console. What better way to settle sibling rivalries? There were tears, and there were definitely controllers thrown across the room. Luckily Nintendo built them tough. I bought Mortal Kombat 2 from a second hand shop, and it came with a photocopied magazine page of all of the fatalities. Back before having internet, that was pretty damn special. My fighter of choice was Reptile (aka green Sub Zero). The acid spit was almost as good of a dog move as Sub Zero's freeze or Scorpion's "GET OVER HERE!" spear to the chest, and I'd mastered his fatality where he takes off his mask and rips off the opponent's head with his tongue and eats it. Good times. I also occasionally used Mileena (aka purple Kitana), because I'm not sexist - girls deserve the chance to slit people's throats and uppercut them into spikes too.

I only briefly played MK1 and 3, but later also had a blast playing Deadly Alliance and Deception on the original XBOX. It's hard not to have fun in a game that has an "impale" button, and has a challenge where you need to make your opponent bleed 80 pints of blood. I would have expected a game like MK to have a bit of a better grasp on basic human biology, but I guess I can suspend my disbelief for a minute. I mention these other games as no other Mortal Kombat game appears in my list (spoiler alert), so I guess you can consider this an entry for the whole franchise. So let's hear it for the games that outraged parents all over the world and helped bring ratings to games! If you've never played a Mortal Kombat game, maybe just come back when my list is finished...

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:02:06 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 07:00:40 AM »

I kinda think my nickname is a bit stupid (the one i wanted was already taken), don't you think so? :blush

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 07:05:09 AM »
I was never a big fan of fighters, but I do have fond memories of playing MKs I/II and to a lesser extent III, back in the day with friends.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 07:11:52 AM »
I was never a big fan of fighters, but I do have fond memories of playing MKs I/II and to a lesser extent III, back in the day with friends.

Yeah, as I said, I've never been huge on fighting games myself, but some genres/games take on new life when played multiplayer. It also helps when there's not a steep learning curve, and MK is a good button bashing game for beginners.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 09:57:43 AM »
Phenomenal game! It was summer 93 before I really came around to MK and Street Fighter II. I remember kids at school raving about both (much moreso for SF though) but most of them were the same schmucks that jump on every trend and drop it a few months later cuz they never sincerely liked it anyway. Eventually, I played SFII on a Walmart kiosk and got murked by some cunt who thought he was cool for going for blood on a kid 5 years younger than him who'd obviously never played it before. I was so accustomed to Mario, I don't think I even knew how to jump since I couldn't find the jump button lol.

Eventually, my brother rented it for SNES and, once I got used to it, I was beyond hooked. I had slight interest in the original MK back then but it was way behind SFII in my heart. A few months later, though, my brother got a Genesis (aka MegaDrive for you non-US folks) with Street Fighter II: Champion Edition, Mortal Kombat, and Sonic 2 and finally being able to play MK on my own terms without immediately losing all my quarters really helped me fall in love with it. It felt so cool hearing Scorpion yell "GET OVER HERE!!" after you successfully inputed the A, B, A, C, A, B, B blood code. Then EGM ran that story about the rumor of Ermac being in the game complete with a photo of him onscreen (this was years before Photoshop was readily available for consumers so shit like that was taken far more seriously back then.) Lastly, the DULLARD code was great since I think it made reaching Reptile much easier and enabled a greater frequency of random items floating across the moon in the Pit stage.

Very oddly, I liked MK so much that when my brother first told me about MKII being released in the arcade I actually didn't want it to be out yet since I felt like I still had plenty more gameplay left with the original and didn't feel like havin to git gud with another game barely weeks after I'd finally done just that with the first one.

I couldn't change reality though and that ended up being a good thing because this ended up becoming unquestionably my favorite arcade game ever. It was close to Christmas when I first saw it which is odd as fuck since I recently found out it was released in June 93. I can only guess that it might have initially been test marketed in really big metro areas first before having a nationwide rollout.

Regardless, it was an awesome time of the year to be a kid. The Christmas holiday from school had just begun, the mall was still an awesome place, and the arcade's atmosphere was fuckin electric since all us kids were off of school for a while and packed in there like sardines in a can. My first encounter with the game (I think) was watching some mustached 80s holdover twice my age just dominating the shit out of a crowd of a dozen or so people and, weirdly enough, he was doing so from the player 2 slot. You didn't see that much back then. It was one of those rare cases where someone was so dominant that the crowd would take breathers and watch him fight the computer both to see the game beaten and to slow down the rate at which we were losing our quarters (this was very early in the 50˘ per play era and some games would let you continue for a quarter while others were 50˘ to start and 50˘ to continue.)

The game made a huge impact on me. For four factors specifically and just about equally since they all were hugely important:

1.The massively improved color scheme. This game was like looking at actual art considering how lifelike it was and how brimming it was with colors that just worked awesomely together. I think the drab, grey-heavy aesthetic of the original MK had some bearing on why I liked SFII better. This game addressed that issue in spades.

2. Incredible sound. This game bumped like a well-equipped car stereo. Landed blows sounded like you were watching a martial arts movie in a proper theater, you had that awesome bass drop after a flawless victory, and the bass lines during the actual songs were warm as hell. Also, the clarity of the music was great and really harkened back to Nine Inch Nails' debut album Pretty Hate Machine at numerous times.

3. The music itself. Whereas MK focused on being true to the music in traditional kung fu movies of the 70s, MKII really came into its own with music that sounded not of this earth and fitting for the Outworld realm. It was mystical, ominous, and rooted in electronic music of that era (even if not sounding like electronic music on the surface, it had a lot of stylistic overlap with contemporary stuff in that genre.)

4. The atmosphere. They did a great job of making you feel like you were far from home in a hostile environment. The Portal seems ready to collapse in on itself at any moment and send you to an even more frightening environment, the Deadpool seems like a dungeon made in a sewer where one might be left for dead after your captor forgets you were down there in the first place, and the Wasteland is like a mass grave overflowing with the decaying deceased. I think the Living Forest might be creepiest of all though, especially considering the rumor about the trees attacking you (unproven, but effective back then.)

While SF strung us along with five different versions of SFII, this game really delivered and kept us enthralled and I soon began to spend my entire allowance on it each week. By the summer following its release I even kept two folded up sheets of paper in my pocket whenever I went to the arcade. One was a matrix of all the characters' finishing moves and the other was my checklist for all of these moves so I could finally know when I'd done all 85 in the game.

When the home ports were announced in early summer 94 and we got the first screen shots of it, I shat bricks. It was ridiculous how well the SNES handled a game seemingly so far beyond its graphical capabilities. My brother and I stayed up until 1 or 2am on a school night the first night we had it and probably played over 100 matches. A few months later, we tried to see if the home port included Pong like the arcade version. This meant playing 250 straight 2-player matches never allowing the continue timer to reach zero. We got to 250. Nothing happened. We figured we'd go to 300 just to see if they were fucking with us. Still nothing. In denial and desperate, we went to 325 before dejectedly giving up. Then, randomly at like 8 in the morning, the asshole cop who lived in the apartment next door gave us Saints tickets he couldn't use and we hopped in a cab to the Superdome after a night without sleeping.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:43:46 PM by black_floyd »

• DT.net Member
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 10:31:27 AM »

I kinda think my nickname is a bit stupid (the one i wanted was already taken), don't you think so? :blush

Actually, I don't think it's all that bad. I think I personally have two ways my brain sees user names and decides whether it likes them. First is the face value assessment. The other is if it references something I like or don't like. At face value, I guess Outcrier ain't spectacular or anything but I actually have a positive opinion of it since it references my second favorite song from ADTOE and that song contains my favorite section from that album.

Lastly, my original DT.net handle (before DTF existed and we long timers posted on the band's official site) back in 2000 was something like Ytse Seeker or something like that cuz they were my two favorite songs off my favorite DT album. Good songs, yes, but an awkward-at-best handle.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 10:57:30 AM »
This was a game my brother played a ton but I was never into it.  I liked the boxing games for some reason.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 11:00:02 AM »
This was a game my brother played a ton but I was never into it.  I liked the boxing games for some reason.

It better have been this game, or gtfo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev0_hmee2cM

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 11:02:15 AM »
Activision's first game.  We bought it for $40.  Games really got so much better but don'y coast that much more.  It's the console that cost a fortune and now you have to buy controllers when they would come with the console in the old days.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 11:03:34 AM »
That game was built into our Atari, along with about 200 other games. And maybe even as many as half of them actually made playable sense!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »
If I get to my parents house I'll find the Atari game and post a pick for all you to giggle about.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 11:12:56 AM »
We still have our Atari stuff sitting in a cupboard somewhere. We didn't have many games on cart. We had Winter Games, and Ghostbusters, and that might have been it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 08:50:19 PM »
So did any of you youngsters actually get to play MK in an arcade? I don't see how playing at home for free has the same appeal. Quarters weren't unlimited, and you only got to play as long as you won. There's something to be said for playing when there are six quarters lined up on the molding from strangers lining up to take you on. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DT.net Member
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 09:38:03 PM »
It was fun, yes, but it sucked ass never having more than $5 a week to spend on it unless it was Christmas or my birthday and with those two dates being just a month apart I was on that $5 weekly budget 11 straight months each year. Fuck spending 3-5 times the cost of a game just to still not have it to play at home.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 09:58:02 PM »
Hey Blob, I just realized I still don't actually have the thread title updated with whatever you'd like to name your list. Let me know what you'd like to call it whenever's good for you.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 10:04:30 PM »
Hey Blob, I just realized I still don't actually have the thread title updated with whatever you'd like to name your list. Let me know what you'd like to call it whenever's good for you.

My list is named in my first post, my good man. :tup Format it however you need to!

So did any of you youngsters actually get to play MK in an arcade? I don't see how playing at home for free has the same appeal. Quarters weren't unlimited, and you only got to play as long as you won. There's something to be said for playing when there are six quarters lined up on the molding from strangers lining up to take you on. 

I played it in an arcade numerous times, but I never much liked having to dispense money, or have to go against strangers/CPU. I guess I'm spoiled by the past 30 years of home console progress. :biggrin:

• DT.net Member
Done and done :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thank you. Now I finally feel like the thread is a part of me, like a dog pissing on a tree to indicate to other dogs that the tree is taken.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
I still feel bad about starting and stopping midway and pissing people off.

Anyways, I remember always going to my friend's house to play MK2 and we would play it all night. Such a fun game still to this day.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

• DT.net Member
I still feel bad about starting and stopping midway and pissing people off.

Shit happpens. People delay these kinds of threads constantly. No hard feelings. If you feel up for it, I'd have no problem with you finishing up once Blob's done.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh yeah, Mortal Combat. I was Sub Zero all the time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Although I normaly don't like platformers and I didn't play Mortal Kombat I'm following this.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Although I normaly don't like platformers and I didn't play Mortal Kombat I'm following this.

I'm not sure how much there will be to appeal to your tastes once you exclude platformers, but I'm glad to hear it. :lol :P

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Let's keep the ball rolling with a couple of 8-bit platformers. Nostalgia alert!

25. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Master System) - 1992

Not to be confused with the Sega Mega Drive / Genesis game of the same name, this game was released only a month or so before its 16 bit counterpart. It is however an entirely separate game, with little in common between the two, beyond the title character. While this game clearly doesn't hold up as well as the 16 bit offerings, this was my first Sonic game, and I spent countless hours playing it, so the nostalgia is strong with this one.
The levels had multiple paths with hidden areas that made the game fun to play repeatedly as I tried to finish it (never did back in the day). It still has some of my favourite 8-bit era music, and I love the level themes. There were also some interesting gimmicks, such as the hangglider, and riding in bubbles underwater to get to higher ground and avoid death by drowning. The underwater sections were even more of a bitch in this game than the 16 bit ones. :lol
The controls aren't great by today's standards, and it's not an essential Sonic game, but this game had a big impact on me.

Longplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6RtXmMN9Og

24. Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Sega Master System) - 1986

As I mentioned when I started, this was the first videogame I ever played, although it hardly counted as playing. But it wasn't too long after that we got our Sega Master System, and everyone who had a Master System knew this game, since it was built in to the console (at least, the version of the console everyone had). From what I gather, the Master System didn't really catch on so well outside of a few countries, Australia being one of those, so I have no idea how well known this game is in general.
Alex Kidd was supposed to be Sega's answer to Mario, and was released about a year after the original Super Mario Bros. Despite not catching on and becoming the success that Mario was, Alex Kidd in Miracle World is comparable in quality, and even better in some ways, with some shortcomings.

Much like Mario, you're trying to save the person from the person. Also like Mario, there are traditional levels, cave levels, water levels, castle levels etc. You can't jump on enemies as has become standard in that style of platformer since, you had to punch enemies to kill them instead. The game had a variety of vehicles; there was a bike that could smoosh through enemies and some blocks, a speedboat that could shoot bullets (and your punishment for crashing the boat was falling into the water below and having to play the traditional underwater level), and a helicopter that could also shoot bullets, and you had to tap the jump button to rise up.
There were many powerups that were either collected in level, or bought from the shop in many of the levels, which could be activated on the pause screen menu. The most commonly used powerup was a fire ring that let you shoot fire across the screen, and there was also the cane of flight so you could fly for a short while, and an invincibility powerup.

The boss fights were one of the more unique elements of the game, and probably one of the more criticized elements. Every boss would have to be defeated in a game of paper-rock-scissors, usually followed by a more regular boss fight. There was a collectible to let you see what hand the boss would choose, but you had to be quick to keep up with them changing, and there was an element of memorization to it that was more common to the era.
Defeating the final boss wasn't the end though! There was one short level after that, with a room that required you to jump on the correct sequence of squares, otherwise ghosts would kill you. The sequence order was shown on a stone tablet you collect earlier in the game, however it's read right to left, bottom to top. This is something I had to be told from a friend before managing to finish the game, which was a bit frustrating. If you played this game as a kid, this just brought back painful memories. Still, there was something rewarding about finishing these games back in the time before save games, and internet walkthroughs.

Longplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb9haoWT5js

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Played both back in the day but not much, as I didn't actually own any Sega consoles myself.