Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83819 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Double Size from Mr Beale (starts pg25)
« Reply #945 on: June 25, 2017, 07:29:46 AM »
I respect DK 2 alot, but always sucked at it.

And that's cool there's a persona fighting game. I never knew and that's awesome since I absolutely love Persona 4 and 5. two of my favorites games.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #946 on: June 25, 2017, 07:31:44 AM »
Just hearing about Persona through podcasts and then seeing the write-up and screenshots, it's definitely not what I envisioned in my head.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #947 on: June 25, 2017, 07:42:25 AM »
I've never played DK2, I wonder how well it'd run on an emulator.

It runs perfectly. It ran perfectly on emulators almost 20 years ago. :lol And also, PLAY IT NOW.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #948 on: June 25, 2017, 11:34:21 AM »
Just hearing about Persona through podcasts and then seeing the write-up and screenshots, it's definitely not what I envisioned in my head.

Great write-up on Persona. I've heard so much about the game since Persona 5 came out but never really understood what it's all about.I don't think it's my thing but still an interesting read.

Keep in mind Ultimax is a spinoff, so they aren't that representative of the main games beyond some of the character designs and the comtemporary setting with supernatural elements.
I've never played DK2, I wonder how well it'd run on an emulator.

It runs perfectly. It ran perfectly on emulators almost 20 years ago. :lol And also, PLAY IT NOW.
Yeah you totally should!

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #949 on: June 25, 2017, 07:32:06 PM »
17. Batman: Arkham Asylum

I remember being vaguely aware of a new Batman game being out when I downloaded the demo for Arkham Asylum. I wasn’t in love with the overly buff look of some of the characters, but I was soon I was immersed in this Batman game wasn't just some usual licensed schlock. And then I got to the predator section, and oh man, seeing the criminal progressively freak out more and more as I picked off their buddies was amazing. So I finished the demo. Started playing the demo again. After finishing it a second time I got in my car and went to the local retailer. You can guess what I bought.

Suffice to say Rocksteady’s Arkham Asylum hit me like a ton of bricks. I didn’t know how much I wanted a really good Batman game until I played this. The simple but effective way the battle system conveys how the Bat can take on a whole group of goons in fisticuffs, the atmosphere, and especially how cool the stealth sections where you must pick off baddies one by one, either with traps or just by getting the drop on someone. All of it screamed Batman, and a very reverent game at that, while capturing what it is that makes Batman an appealing hero. The tale the game told wasn’t anything special but it was a solid “Batman having a bad night” yarn. I also liked how judicious the story was in its’ selection of villians. One of the things the game really gets right is the atmosphere. I’ve always been a fan of when Gotham is depicted with a gothic feel, an old gnarled place that's cursed in some intangible, karmic way. The setting of Arkham Asylum and the story going on in the background really nail that.

Any other entries worth playing?

Arkham City refined a lot of mechanics and moved the series into open world territory. It’s a good game, but in retrospect the story was pretty poor and outside of some sidequests I don’t think the open world nature benefited the game much. The gothic atmosphere of the first game is gone for a more generic gritty setting. Lots of people wrote off Origins because it recycled assets from the City and wasn’t developed by Rocksteady, but I honestly think it’s a better game, improving upon City in terms of story, atmosphere, and boss fights. Haven’t played Arkham Knight but it’s reception seems sadly mixed.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: June 25, 2017, 07:53:57 PM »
I have Arkham asylum and even played it for a few hours but for some reason I never got past that. I did really enjoy the time I played.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #951 on: June 25, 2017, 07:57:07 PM »
Oh baby, Arkham Asylum  :metal

Oh my freakin god do I love that game. God damn. First off, batman is my favorite fictional character and I love everything about him. So to have a KICK ASS game to play as him is like a dream come true. The gameplay mechanics were incredible and it looked gorgeous for the time. And I loved how it almost had a 3d metroid-vania kind of feel somewhat to it. Two of my other favorite games.   

Didn't play city, but I loved Arkham knight as well, with the exception of the excessive tank segments, and just in general it got a little repetitive toward the end with taking out the fortifications and stuff. I loved being able to download the Keaton batmobile, but I would have loved to have used it from the beginning and that being the batmobile the game was designed around. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed arkham knight, but Asylum with probably always be my favorite.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #952 on: June 25, 2017, 07:58:19 PM »
16. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride

Dragon Quest V originally came out on the Super Famicom in Japan, the first in the series to move on from the original Famicom where it had become a huge pop culture phenomenon by popularizing the rpg genre, taking inspiration from pen and paper and computer rpgs and streamlining them into something playable with the limited input of the Famicom controller. Dragon Quest V came out in 1992 originally but did not get a western release until the Nintendo DS remake in 2009. And boy it’s a shame it took so long because this would be considered a classic along with other SNES rpgs if it had came out then. It has a lot of the elements all DQ games have: the charmingly familiar Akira Toriyama character designs; the rousing, bombastic music of Sugiyama; and of course the adventurous, occasionally heavy but never glum story scenarios guided by creator and longtime guiding hand Yuji Hori. But what really makes DQ V standout from the pack is the hook that your party in this game isn’t a band of adventurers that have come together to save the world. Instead your “party” is a family unit on a personal quest. Like all other Dragon Quest games you play as a silent protagonist, but in V you begin the game as child, and over the course of the story you will grow up, get married, and eventually become a father. The fact that you don’t play a party as much a family re-contextualizes so many rpg conventions in a brilliant way. Add on the fact that you can recruit monsters to join your team (note this came out four years before Pokemon) and you have a great rpg that stands out even in a series full of quality entries.

Dragon Quest is one of the most consistently good video games series around, although some of the early entries are so basic they are harder to go back to. IX on the DS is probably my second favorite, and is deceptively innovative underneath the familiar DQ veneer. VI has some story problems (in terms of not knowing where to go next) and doesn’t have the best character designs but is a meaty and epic SNES-era romp nonetheless. VIII on PS2 has outstanding presentation and is a good entry point into the series though I think it’s overly long and doesn’t have the most interesting characters/story. My rankings for series (at least the ones I’ve played):
1.   V
2.   IX
3.   VI
4.   VIII
5.   VII
6.   IV
7.   III

The series is finally making another big budget console entry in XI, with a release in Japan this year. Hopefully the wait for a western release won’t be too long.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #953 on: June 25, 2017, 08:00:19 PM »
Oh baby, Arkham Asylum  :metal

Oh my freakin god do I love that game. God damn. First off, batman is my favorite fictional character and I love everything about him. So to have a KICK ASS game to play as him is like a dream come true. The gameplay mechanics were incredible and it looked gorgeous for the time. And I loved how it almost had a 3d metroid-vania kind of feel somewhat to it. Two of my other favorite games.   

Didn't play city, but I loved Arkham knight as well, with the exception of the excessive tank segments, and just in general it got a little repetitive toward the end with taking out the fortifications and stuff. I loved being able to download the Keaton batmobile, but I would have loved to have used it from the beginning and that being the batmobile the game was designed around. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed arkham knight, but Asylum with probably always be my favorite.

Interesting, I don't know to many people that skipped City. It's been awhile since I've played any of them so I should get to my copy of Arkham Knight (been buried in the backlog).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #954 on: June 26, 2017, 04:21:04 AM »
^^^^

Basically I was broke and in school when both Asylum and city came out. The only difference was that a friend has asylum and let me borrow it and I beat it and gave it back. The same friend didn't have city when that one was out, so it was just a simple case of me not having the cash, but I really, really wanted it at the time.

I just ordered return to arkham, so I will be playing it shortly on PS4.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #955 on: June 26, 2017, 10:48:21 AM »
I thought arkham asylum was a pretty solid game but I can't say I "loved" it
I have city too & need to play it eventually

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: June 26, 2017, 12:09:37 PM »
Loved all the Batman games of that series besides Knight (never played it due to the issues it had).  The fighting mechanics are some of the most fun for any game out there IMO. 

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #957 on: June 26, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »
15. Super Mario Kart

Super Mario Kart is one of the most evergreen titles on the Super Nintendo. I cannot tell you how much time I spent playing this with friends. Hell, I played a ton of it with parents! Such was (and still is) the draw of Mario Kart. Leave it to Nintendo to innovate on the racing genre to make something that appeals to everyone. What I love about the original is that sure there are the items, but there aren’t that many, and generally aren’t as powerful as they tended to be in later games (e.g. red shells do not track around corners as well), and the emphasis on getting coins to get to higher speeds made bumping into other racers a risky venture. And while it might be hard for some to get used to how the karts handle, I like how easily you can spin out around corner, it makes it feel you are driving a light kart instead of just another generic vehicle. There’s also that sweet, sweet SNES sound chip. Still has the best battle mode in the series too!

Mario Kart 64 is a lot of fun, and the most recent Mario Kart 8 on Wii U and Switch is a really polished edition.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #958 on: June 26, 2017, 06:56:47 PM »
14. Super Mario Bros. 3

It’s Mario.

Alright fine, wants a few more reasons? There’s two types of people in this world: Super Mario 3 people and Super Mario World people. Well, now there’s Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy people too. But to me it’s still 3 vs. World, and I’ve always been a 3 guy. I’ve always preferred my platformers traditional and straightforward, and 3 was the culmination of the era of 8-bit platformers. It’s got great music, a ton of levels, lots of fun powerups, and lots of cool ideas like the Koopalings and the badass airships. And Giant World is still the best. As good as World looks and sound, SMB3 is my favorite Mario in terms of aesthetics with the whole stage and curtains thing. To be honest in some ways I’m more attached to the prettier Super Mario All-Stars version with the 16-bit graphics, but I’ve played plenty of the original too.

Ha! Few platformers can hang with Super Mario Bros., SMB 3, and SM World. I also have a lot of attachment to Super Mario Land 2: The Six Golden Coins on the Gameboy.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #959 on: June 26, 2017, 07:36:13 PM »
Super mario 3 is legendary. A defining game of my childhood

My cousins had Super mario kart, so I only got to play it in passing. They also had F-zero, so I typical just pushed mario kart out of the way to get to F-zero. And don't get me wrong, I really like super mario kart, as I do with mario kart 8 deluxe which I am currently playing, but ultimately, my heart and soul craves that insane speed and intricacy that only an F-zero type of game can provide.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: June 26, 2017, 09:18:04 PM »
Some amazing games there. True classics.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: June 26, 2017, 09:57:15 PM »
My most lasting memory of my first year at college is playing Mario Kart. No, I didn't get laid that year.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #962 on: June 27, 2017, 08:04:56 AM »
Super mario 3 is legendary. A defining game of my childhood

My cousins had Super mario kart, so I only got to play it in passing. They also had F-zero, so I typical just pushed mario kart out of the way to get to F-zero. And don't get me wrong, I really like super mario kart, as I do with mario kart 8 deluxe which I am currently playing, but ultimately, my heart and soul craves that insane speed and intricacy that only an F-zero type of game can provide.

That's funny, cause for a long time I had little interest in F-Zero because they didn't have items.  :biggrin: Eventually found they are pretty cool games, but comparing the SNES games I still like MK a lot more.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: June 27, 2017, 09:15:35 AM »
SMB3 is my favorite of the series, great choice!

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #964 on: June 27, 2017, 08:41:55 PM »
13. Lunar: Silver Star Story/Silver Star Harmony

Lunar is a classic Japanese-rpg by Game Arts, also known for the Grandia series. In some ways it’s a bit of a hard sell, because Lunar is not shy about the fact that it is pretty much what you think it: a standard, fairly tropey turn-based rpg. But while it hits a lot of familiar notes, not many games hit those notes as well as Lunar. Originally released on the Sega CD (remember that? Me neither) the biggest hook was it’s use of anime cutscenes. It wasn’t just the cutscenes though, the whole game really feels you’re playing an anime. That might not sound like a big deal nowadays, but it’s much more than just people with spiky hair swinging improbably large swords. Everything from the character designs to the story pacing leans more toward film than most video games. One of the most memorable scenes early on has a character break out into an “I want” song a la Disney animation musical! It’s just so disarming and charming. That’s what Lunar comes down to: lots of charming characters that make me smile.

Lunar’s been reworked and rereleased on a good number of systems, but the best versions are either Silver Star Story Complete on PS1 or Siler Star Harmony on PSP. The later has better graphics, translation, and arguably better voice work but the difficulty is nerfed, though considering the narrative is the primary pull that may or may not be a negative depending on your taste.

Lunar had one sequel in Lunar 2: Eternal Blue and to be honest it is as good or better than the first game, but I never finished it for one reason or another.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #965 on: June 27, 2017, 09:12:07 PM »
12. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Tactics Ogre is an isometric, menu-driven tactical-rpg that helped popularize this style of game, especially in Japan. You command a small band of soldiers to duke it out on a grid-based battlefield. There’s a lot of variables to keep in mind, but I’ve always been very into these sorts of menu-driven battle systems. It’s the spiritual predecessor to Final Fantasy Tactics, both directed by Yasumi Matsuno, and both are quite similar in terms of tone and medieval-inspired political conflicts and machinations, and lots of morally gray characters. But I’ve always been more partial to Tactics Ogre, both because it doesn’t have the Final Fantasy tropes (which gets a little intrusive in FFT imo) and because I love the worldbuilding in Tactics more.

Tactics Ogre is actually part of the Ogre Saga games, which comprise both the Tactics Ogre games and the Ogre Battle games. Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen* was the first game released on the SNES, and unlike Tactics is actual a rare real-time strategy game built for consoles. It’s a cool game, but the best thing about it is it’s distinctly mature tone, and how fleshed out the politics of the world is. Taking a page from Star Wars, Ogre Battle is actually the fifth episode in the overall saga. Tactics Ogre, though a different style of game, shares the same universe, and is episode… seven. Naturally. Honestly the chronology of these games isn’t the biggest deal, but I’ve always been into games (or other types of media) that put a lot of thought in fleshing out their world, and Tactics Ogre was the first to really hook me in that way. To be honest I don’t even remember I got into these games so much (I think a friend rented TO one time?) but I was super into these games that had  references here and there about mythic battles and world-shaking events of the past (that presumably occurred in earlier episodes of the saga).

Tactics Ogre was originally released on the Super Famicom in Japan but only got a western release with a (kind rough) PlayStation port. But without question the definitive version is the PSP remake. Worked on by much of the same team that developed the original game, it is rebuilt from the ground up to be what the original game would have been if they had modern horsepower behind it. As such, the in-game graphics and sprites don’t look that much different than their original SNES versions, but things like the spells, portrait art, and music arrangements are leagues beyond what the original hardware could do. Everything about the presentation is stellar, as is the translation. The game also adds an optional rewind mechanic that you can use to get through tougher battles, and more importantly lets you go back to earlier portions of the branching story to see what would have happened if you had made a different story path somewhere (the game has multiple endings). Hands down the best video game remake ever, and for a game worthy of such effort.

There’s one other Tactics Ogre game in Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis for the Gameboy Advance. It’s actually a “gaiden” side story and prequel to Let Us Cling Together. It’s not as good (and can move particularly slow) but it’s one of my favorite games for that system. As for the sister series Ogre Battle both the SNES and Ogre Battle 64 are neat games worth checking out.

*That's right, TWO Queen references in one title :hat

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: June 27, 2017, 09:32:44 PM »
Aaaaaaand we are back to games I've never heard of.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: June 28, 2017, 05:17:10 AM »
:lol

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #968 on: June 28, 2017, 07:43:40 AM »

Then I'm doing my job :tup

There's only two or three more niche titles on my list

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #969 on: June 28, 2017, 08:21:48 AM »
:lol yea same here

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #970 on: June 29, 2017, 04:40:03 PM »
11. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky & Trails in the Sky SC

(SC Opening to set the mood): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGmnOxHKbSU

Sometimes it hard to pin point exactly what makes a game deserving of this list. There is no such question with Trails in the Sky (and by extension the other Trails games). Trails is all about narrative and especially worldbuilding, and have massive scripts to to prove it. Trails in the Sky starts out as a relatively conventional Japanese-rpg, albeit an unusually verbose one. If you are the sort of person who skims dialog in games to get back to the gameplay these games are not for you, because the dialog and narrative is the best part about them. If you are willing to be patient and take it all in though, you start to notice just how much detail there is to the world, be it the protagonist's country, it’s relationships with other countries, the technology, even seemingly nondescript npcs have personalities, problems, and moods that will change after story events. There’s just so much texture to world that it comes alive in a way few games do.

And yes I’m sort of cheating by picking two games for this spot, though in this case that feel like a technicality. The fact is Trails in the Sky entered development with the intention of being one game, but the creators eventually realized that the story they wanted to tell would result in a ridiculously long game, so they cut it in two. While the first game actually feels reasonable complete (ending stinger notwithstanding), upon starting the second game it soon becomes apparent that entire first game was ultimately just a first act setup for SC (which stands of Second Chapter). The first game is 40 hours long. The sequel is over twice that. Oh, and Trails in the Sky is just the first arc of an ongoing saga that is over a decade in the making as of right now. Yeah, that’s the scale these games are operating on. And the biggest hook is seeing all of the plot threads being woven into one enormous tapestry. The lead writer was asked after the Japanese release of the lastest game how far they were into the overall story. His reply was 'about halfway.' There’s been seven games in the series so far. It’s easy to roll your eyes at such proclamations like “yeah sure, and George Lucas had all nine episodes of Star Wars mapped out in ’76.” But then you play the games and see there actually are clear plot points being hit in every one, and there does seem to be an endgame the series is moving towards. It is ridiculously ambitious and AWESOME. Only time will tell if they can stick the landing but considering how good they are at calling their shots I can’t imagine they will completely flub it.

The premise of the world of Trails is that until recently people lived in a medieval kingdoms and had knights in armor levels of technology. Then Orbment technology (a fantasy clean energy source) was discovered and unleash a hyper fast technological revolution, and society has gone from medieval kingdoms to approximately early 20th century technology in the span of a single lifetime. As such, while there are some republics, a lot of countries still have powerful monarchies, some constitutional, others more autocratic. Of course, this technology has actually been rediscovered, as there was a technological advance society that spanned the entire continent in the past, but mysteriously vanished seemingly overnight with only a few remnants as record. What happened is one of the central mysteries going on in the background. All these leaps in technology leads to geopolitical volatility, with smaller states having to constantly watch from being squashed by larger powers, as having technological edge tend to be fleeting, or even give aggressors more reason to fear them as much as it protects.

Now that’s a great premise, but what’s really impressive is how coherently individual characters reflect their social conditions. For example, the Erebonian Empire is the big bad militaristic country in the game that historically causes grief for everyone else. But it’s not like they're a bunch of evil dudes: most of the Erebonians you meet a good, decent people. But you can also see how they’re shaped by a culture that put a lot of emphasis on honor, emphasizes strength and masculinity, as well as just the cultural momentum of expansionist policies to juice up their economy, on top of the fact that their society has a lot more rigorous class system then most other countries, you can see how they would tend to be jingoistic assholes to neighbors. And most this is conveyed through little details here and there rather than exposition dumps.

And I haven’t even gotten into how grounded the setting feels compared to most ‘jrpgs.’ While it is the type of world where heroes with swords beat nameless guys with guns, it’s also the type of world where leaders worry about rising unemployment numbers, or might freeze foreign assets to destabilize a neighbor’s economy. It’s a type of world where, yes there is a throne room, but it’s mostly for ceremony: the real rule of monarchs is exercised at administration desks, and in heads of state going to economic conferences and signing trade deals. Between that and the generally more reserved fashion sense (Final Fantasy X this ain’t) and you have an rpg that feels very different than your typical Final Fantasies and Tales of games. And when more fantastical elements they seem that much more jarring and otherworldly.

You can’t be a great rpg without a good cast of characters, and Trails in the Sky is no slouch in that department. Most of characters leave a strong impression, especially the protagonist Estelle, who is a bundle of energy and a sass-machine. Over the course of the story she does grow up and mature, but never loses her trademark sharp tongue. And I really like how coherent (yes that’s a word I keep coming back to) characters like Joshua are written, making the (melo)drama feel earned as backgrounds are slowly revealed of the course of the games. The best characters might be the antagonists though. I won’t get into much detail for the sake of leaving things unspoiled, but let’s just say they are built up very well to be dauntingly powerful and menacing, but they are not monolithic: as their multifaceted nature becomes apparent, you must reassess some of your assumptions about them, which hints at some very interesting implications. At this point I’d say they are easily my favorite cast of video game antagonists ever.

As for the gameplay itself, it’s fair standard turn-based stuff with a few twists. Turn order is laid out for you so you can see when enemies and teammates will next get an action, as well as any possible bonuses that occur that turn. You are able to move around the battle screen, so knowing when to bunch up to get buffs and healing on everyone, while spreading your party out to avoid damaging area of effects hitting everyone. It’s one of the few rpg battle systems where it’s more fun to fight larger groups of enemies, because then you have to think more about how one action affects turn order versus another. Battles are honestly a little too slow and too easy in the first game, but they are tweaked for the better in SC, which also gives more options in orbment loadout (think the materia system with more depth as which types of orbments slotted where affects what abilities you have).

It's one thing to have these elements, another to do them as well, but to juggle so many different plot threads and so many kinds of narrative threads (character development, specific plot twists and turns, and a good helping of mystery and intrigue) while also taking place in a world with as much detail and thought behind it as Zemuria? That’s something special. Add in the fact that the stories these games consistently take some unexpected turns and tend to have great endings, and it’s kind of everything I want in this sort of game. And I haven’t even touch on how good some of the music is!

Because of their modest graphical nature and because they have only recently seen a good number of them localized they haven’t gotten a lot of press coverage, but the cult following it does have is pretty ardent. It isn’t for everyone because they do move slow at times (I mean that as a descriptive, not a negative) and there is a certain amount of time investment to really get what it’s going for, but man there are few games with journeys as rewarding as Trails, especially Trails in the Sky SC. These games are easily the most exciting things I have discovered in the past couple years. It might not yet have stone-cold masterpiece to its credit (though Sky SC is knock on the door) like some of the rpgs still to appear higher on this list, but in terms of batting average and just the way the long-form serial nature of the storytelling elevates everything (and the parts are pretty great to begin with!) it could soon become my all-time favorite rpg series. And as someone who's played a good number of them that's really exciting. :tup

If you want to know why I keep referring to these games as Trails even though there’s the whole Legend of Heroes part of the title: basically, Trails is a subseries of an older Falcom rpg series. Watch this for an good overview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioRRv4ql8iw) but outside of some mechanical and narrative stylings they have nothing to do with Trails games. Honestly they should have just released Trails as its own thing because a) the long name only deters people from jumping in, and b) The Legend of Heroes is a pretty generic name!

As for the proper Trails games there’s been three arcs so far: Trails in the Sky, the Trails of Zero/Azure duology, and Trails of Cold Steel. There’s was actually a third Trails in the Sky game, but despite the name isn’t a continuation of the first two as much as it is a separate self-contained story, though it does feature much of the same cast and locations as the first two games. It was just released here not that long ago but I’ve been putting it off for the time being. The Zero/Azure games were the second leg and unfortunately due to their native platforms (Azure was only released on PSP) and the fact that they have enormous scripts even by Trails standards they have not been localized yet. But between Falcom’s recent push to make western releases more of a priority, publisher XSEED dappling more in PC ports, and fact that there’s a fan translation project pretty far along, I think there’s a good chance of being able to play them in English someday one way or another. The Cold Steel games are the third and current arc. They have much more modern graphics and while it’s probably best to play the Sky games first, starting with them isn’t a bad option either. Cold Steel 1 in particular is great and has the best explosive cliffhanger of an ending I’ve ever seen in a video game. I have more problems with Cold Steel II, but even that has some really great twists that had me grinning, and I’m chomping at the bit for Cold Steel III whenever that makes it over here. The series has been scattered about on a few systems, but have mostly been or are soon to be consolidated on PC, which is probably the best platform to play them (unless you really want something on the Vita).

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #971 on: June 29, 2017, 04:54:14 PM »
10. Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus

Sly Cooper is a series I had an eye on for a long time but never got around to playing, in part because didn’t think I cared much for 3D platformers at the time. Confession: never liked Super Mario 64. It didn’t play at all like the 2D games, and I found its star collection structure dull. I’ve softened on 3D platformers since then, and enjoyed some others to varying degrees, but never to the extent as my favorite 2D ones. Little did I know Sly Cooper, especially the first one, was exactly what I was looking for.

Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus is a 3D platformer, but it’s structure and spirit is closer to its’ 2D brethren. Now you are moving around in bigger environments and it’s more open than say the Crash Bandicoot games. There is some exploration and collecting to do, but unlike a lot of other 3D platformers where that’s the main thrust of the game, here it’s fairly minor. Mostly you’re just hopping, skipping, and swinging to get through the level. That might not seem like a big deal, but 3D platformers tend to add more and more elements on top of the platforming, to the point of diluting the platforming. Sly Cooper though is perfectly content to just lean on that joyful sense of movement that makes a good platformer, and even though most of the game is quite easy, I just have a blast with it. Add in some stealth elements for flavor and colorful cartoony graphics and it’s a great package.

Something that caught me off guard however was how much personality the game has. You play as Sly Cooper, a thief descended from a line of Robin Hood-like honorable thieves. Sly and his friends Bentley (the brains) and Murray (the muscle) are on a mission to retrieve his family heirloom the Thievius Raccoonus—the Cooper family’s guide how to become a master thief. That means stealing it back from a gang of crooks, including ringleader Clockwerk, the person who killed Sly parents. And man considering no individual antagonist is on screen that long they leave huge impressions, be it the bulldog Muggshot’s rough and tumble ganster persona, Mz. Ruby’s Lousiana bayou drawl, or Clockwerk’s frankly badass presence, the game is bursting with personality with some wonderfully hammy performances.

I also wasn’t expecting the game to be as funny as it is. While the later games lean into the humor more, there’s still some pretty great stuff in the first one. I specifically remember fall out of my chair from laughing at a pitch perfect deadpan delivery. I wouldn’t expect anyone else to find it quite that funny, but there’s some good lines. Something I particularly appreciate about the Sly games is that it keeps its humor very clean. I like the Banjo and Ratchet games well enough, but I’ve never been a fan of the winking, sneak-in-naughty-stuff-for-the-older-crowd humor. Whereas Sly’s humor tends to solely based in character’s personalities and situations. A seven-year-old can enjoy it, but me having played them as an adult still find it hilarious too. That’s more impressive than using a double entendre here and there.

Mostly though, the series has a lot of heart, and even though there’s a lot of light-hearted silliness, it’s grounded enough to take emotions of the characters seriously. Even though it might “just” a game with anthropomorphic animal characters, they can get hurt, they can make mistakes, and there can be consequences. And relationships change over time: enemies in one game may become allies in later games, and vis versa. Not bad for “just” another mascot platformer.

I love Sly 2 and 3 nearly as much as the first game. They have larger level in which you run around doing missions and collecting thing (so a little more conventional 3D platforming) but are more thematic about scouting the area and pulling off the heist, some of which are pretty elaborate sequences that are a hoot. Sly 2 develops the main cast more (especially Murray) and is actually surprisingly serious at times, and sometimes you must swap out Sly to play as Murray and Bentley who have special abilities. Sly 3 on the other hand leans more into manic cartoon energy with more zany humor, and more fun to play as characters other than Sly. Suckerpunch then handed the series off to Sanzaru Games which made Sly 4. It’s a solid game, and logical expansion of previous games mechanics, though it doesn’t quite have the zest the made the original trilogy so good. And while it's annoying that 4 had to end on a cliffhanger, I'm perfectly fine with the series ending at 4. It was a good run, and I'd rather it leave on a good note. If you have access to a PS3 the Sly Collection is a great package with the original trilogy remastered in HD, which thanks to the cell shaded graphics hold up pretty well.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #972 on: June 29, 2017, 08:52:24 PM »
as someone who has played the hd remasters of the first two sly games only recently

...i dunno, i found the second game a lot better than the first. the first game feels like it kinda aged poorly though it had its moments but the second game was pretty great the whole way through

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #973 on: June 29, 2017, 09:01:12 PM »
That's not an uncommon opinion although there certainly is a contingent of us Sly fans that like the first one the best. I'm a little odd in that I like 3 more than 2 also, but they're all great in their own way.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #974 on: June 29, 2017, 10:18:41 PM »
Something tells me you like RPGs :P

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #975 on: June 30, 2017, 08:28:54 AM »
Something tells me you like RPGs :P
They're alright ;)

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #976 on: June 30, 2017, 09:39:30 AM »
9. Rock Band 2

The period when Rock Band 2 was released and the time following it was the height of music rhythm games. Guitar Hero was becoming a progressively bigger deal, while Harmonix themselves moved on from the ip to create Rock Band, which expanded the number of plastic instruments, including vocals, making it more of a group karaoke experience instead of just a score challenge game. But it was Rock Band 2 is when the series really refined itself and left Guitar Hero in the dust. Its biggest credit is the tracklist: the best that’s ever been in this kind of game. It has a great cross section of different rock eras, with a great difficulty curve and nearly all of the songs are really fun to play. That might seems obvious but not every song translates to plastic instruments so well. The game also had great representation of 90s grunge/alternative and metal representation with some of my favorite band like Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Mastodon, Megadeth, and yes Dream Theater! I say this was the height of Rock Band’s arc because the dlc schedule was never better. Five or six tracks would typically be released every week, sometimes as much as eight or nine. And once in a while we’d get a whole album, like Judas Priest’ Screaming for Vengence or Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Whole albums are kind of overkill but it was a super cool gift if you happen to love an album. Combined with the fact you could import most of the songs from the first game into RB2 and you had an impressive package. More than anything, while Rock Band is a fun video, it a lot of ways it was better than that: it was a way of experiencing music. I loved discovering new artist via Rock Band, or gaining a better appreciation of well-known bands I hadn't cared for.

Depends on what you're looking for. It's sequels have been good but flawed. Rock Band 3 in some ways the biggest and best entry, but I think it suffered from feature creep, and the fact that song selection had to account for me instruments and features resulted in more songs not being fun on a number of instruments, and just didn’t line up with me musical tastes as much. Plus the PS3 version at least was buggy and would crash enough to sour me some. Rock Band 4 actually has a really fun tracklist, but it’s heavy on recent music and didn’t have much sexy headliner songs. Plus it was obviously made on a much smaller budget, and while it’s been fleshed out a good bit since, was released in barebones state. Dlc has also slowed to a trickle, which doesn’t bode well for how much longer the game will be supported, which bums me out.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #977 on: June 30, 2017, 09:42:36 AM »
8. Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil was a franchise that I respected but was never into during the Playstation era. Upon seeing RE4 in action though I knew I had to give this one a shot. Maybe the greatest franchise reinvention ever, RE4 famously moved away from the tank control gameplay the series was known for to a more third person action oriented approach. The over the should camera view when shooting was such a smart idea, and has been copied by many third person games since. It wasn’t complete action though, because you had to be standing still to shoot, it still felt like a RE game at its heart. That might not make a whole lot sense but everything about the game is carefully designed around that fact, so it never seems unfair. It lasts a bit too long, but overall the game is a tour de force of interesting level and scenario design. It has become a bit of a joke the number of times Capcom has rerelease the game at this point, but there’s no denying its status as a true classic.

The remake of the original Resident Evil is maybe the best example of classic survival-horror. Resident Evil 5, while not as good as 4, is a decent action game, especially co-op.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #978 on: June 30, 2017, 10:23:26 AM »
Fuck yes RE4 :2metal:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: June 30, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »
I played RE0 on Gamecube(?) and got my ass handed to me. I couldn't do a damn thing in that game. I liked enough to try for a while, but eventually gave up. Soured my taste on the franchise so never played another RE game until I picked up RE4 on a whim (and on sale). Loved it. Wouldn't rank it high on my all-time list, but it's a fun game.