Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83750 times)

Offline Mr. Beale

31. Ys Seven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJuFqxAUyog

Ys (do you know how to pronounce it?) is a storied action-rpg series by Nihon Falcom that dates back to the 80s. The seventh entry (more or less) changes things up by being the first game in the series to feature party-based approach, instead of just a lone Adol, the series’ the wanderlust filled adventurer and series protagonist. Gameplay is simply but very snappy, full of rapid attacks and quick dashing through the environment. While you are leveling and buying better equipment, the game still demands skillful play to get past bosses that throw a lot of patterns at you and take some time to take down. Being skillful enough to dodge enough of their attacks and get their health down before you run out of your limited health items has a great level of tension, and why it makes this list. Challenge wise it sits on a perfect spot on the difficulty curve: hard enough a lot of bosses will take multiple tries even on normal difficulty, but not to where it feels impossible for newcomers. Everything feels balanced and tight.

The series (and Falcom games in general) are also known for their rocking soundtracks, especially their early work when that was unusual for the time. Seven is no exception, in fact it’s one of the games best features. The bosses fights are great, but playing them while listening to Vacant Interference (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frmOygTzswU) elevates them to epic.

Any other entries worth playing?

Ys Origins is quite good. Oath of Felghana is the other fan favorite. Ys VIII is getting a western release this year, hopefully that’s a good one.

Offline Mr. Beale

30. Soul Calibur V

Soul Calibur V is the latest main entry in the long running weapon-based 3D fighter series. The hook of every character has different weapon types, and therefore have movesets with very different range and speed, is one of the main draws of the series. Between large horizontal slashes and the easy of which you can side-step and circle around your opponent, it really uses that third dimension more than most 3D fighters.

SC V is actually a controversial pick for me, because it wasn’t received very well by a lot of the fanbase. The designers tried to shake things up by having it take place by well after SC IV and replaced some of the cast with younger teenybopper characters. Who are pretty much all lamer than the people they replace. And while they retain the fighting styles, some of them have enough alterations in moves they don’t even play like the people they replaced. Oh and some characters, even some that had appeared in multiple games, didn’t make the cut at all. Suffice to say those things together didn’t win over a lot of longtime fans. They tried to pull a Tekken 3 but did it much worse.

Not only that, it was very apparent that the game was not given the resources and time to live up to the development team’s vision, resulting in a barebones story mode and single-player content that was below the standards of its predecessors. This was a big deal as some of the early games had pretty substantial single-player content for their time.

But it’s still my favorite Soul Calibur. Why? Some of the new characters are great, it looks great, and while I was very skeptical of introducing a meter (in the wake of Street Fighter IV’s success it seemed a lot of fighters where introducing meters and comeback mechanics), it actually isn’t too intrusive of the general gameplay flow, and in fact enhances it in some ways. Hell even the guest character is pretty cool (Ezio from Assassin’s Creed) because he actually fits the time period and could pass as a Soul Calibur design. Unfortunately a lot of people buried it, before it even got a fair shake in my opinion.

If there was ever a game that deserved a “Super” version update it’s Soul Calibur V, but alas it was not too be.

There hasn’t been a bad Soul game really. IV is pretty bland, and III had infuriating balance issues, but I still like it despite them. SC and SC II are of course classics, but people often overlook Soul Edge/Blade, which is a pretty solid PS1 fighter too.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Josh... you need to change the thread title.  I didn't realize that there was a new list underway.

Almost no games that I've played so far. :lol

Same here.  Though, I think NBA Jam got an honorable mention from me.

I'm not much of a side-to-side fighting game guy (though, I played a shit-ton of MK and SF2 in the arcade in the early 90s).  I tried Injustice Gods Among Us, but there were just way too many player choices and moves to learn.  I get the sense that any side scrolling fight game like that takes a lot of time, commitment and practice.  None of which I have a lot of at my disposal.

I always heard wonderful things about Heavy Rain, but just never got around to it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mr. Beale

Re: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Double Size from Mr Beale (starts pg25)
« Reply #913 on: June 14, 2017, 08:59:03 AM »

I'm not much of a side-to-side fighting game guy (though, I played a shit-ton of MK and SF2 in the arcade in the early 90s).  I tried Injustice Gods Among Us, but there were just way too many player choices and moves to learn.  I get the sense that any side scrolling fight game like that takes a lot of time, commitment and practice.  None of which I have a lot of at my disposal.

Understandable. Truth is neither do I but I still have a lot of fondness for that form of game.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #914 on: June 14, 2017, 09:18:34 AM »
29. Demon's Souls

Before Dark Souls made Fromsoft a big name, they made a weird game on PS3 called Demon’s Souls. Reputed to be extremely hard but also really cool, I wasn’t sure if this was something I could get into at first. Slowly though you learn what the game is asking from you, and you realize that the game isn’t actually that hard, it’s just meticulous and asks a level of competence when a lot of modern games will let you slide by with sloppy play just to let you get to the next section. These games have a reputation of being “Nintendo hard,” but that isn’t true because they are actually fairer than most of those old games were. What it does do is reinterpret the death fail state and makes it meaningful in a modern context. Much more has been written about what makes the Souls gameplay great, but suffice to say the following these games have is well deserved.

The other thing Demon’s Souls has going for it is the setting. The game has incredible atmosphere so thick you can cut it with a knife, and so gloomy and oppressive I actually had to stir up some courage to push through it, which makes finishing the levels that much more rewarding. Boletarian Palace, the Valley of Defilement, and especially the Tower of Latria are some of the most memorable palaces I’ve been to in video games. It has a really strong vision of dark fantasy with a tinge of Lovecraftian-horror; at times it feels like a horror game more than anything.

The game doesn’t have a lot of music overall, but what it does have is still the best in all of the soul games in my opinion. When you get to the end of the Valley of Defilement and this starts playing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9piElENpvmM) is an incredible moment; I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

All of the other soul games (including Bloodborne) are great and worth playing, but didn’t quite make my list. Not because I’m counting them as one series, but they all have a few quibbles that land them slightly below Demon’s in my eyes. Like I’ve said before tone and atmosphere go a long way with me, and Demon’s left the biggest impact on me.

Personal ranking of soul games:

1.   Demon’s
2.   Dark Souls III
3.   Dark Souls
4.   Dark Souls II
5.   Bloodborne

That said they are high quality games and I like all of them quite a bit.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #915 on: June 14, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
I rank the Souls games:

1. Dark Souls
2. Bloodborne
3. Dark Souls 3
4. Dark Souls 2
5. Demon's Souls

But Demon's Souls is still great.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #916 on: June 15, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »
28. Resonance of Fate

Tri-Ace is a Japanese developer known for making rpgs with inventive battle systems, and oh man does Resonance of Fate have a doozy. Basically it marries turn-based and real-time elements to create gun fu acrobatics that looks absolutely bonkers. It has a lot of elements to keep track of and plays unlike anything else, so the learning curve can be steep even for rpg veterans, but mastering the battle system is the main draw of the game. Like a lot of rpgs there are a ton of battles, but the core systems are so fun they don’t wear out their welcome. I like my rpg conventions just fine but I wish more titles got this creative with their battle mechanics.

Set in a future steampunk setting, the plot is mostly cryptic anime gibberish unfortunately, although the main characters are actually more developed than you might expect, including a good performance by Nolan North.

N/A

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #917 on: June 15, 2017, 08:37:49 AM »
27. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Speaking of Nolan North, he is best known of course for is work as Nathan Drake in the Uncharted series. Uncharted might not be the most original series if they were movies (basically Indiana Jones-esque adventure throwback set in modern day), as a game series they have pushed the envelope how seamlessly cinematic a video game can be. And while I like the moment to moment gameplay in Uncharted 3 and 4 better, and I still maybe like the original the most in terms of story and pacing, Uncharted 2 is probably the most well rounded game overall. The cinematic look and feel of the original was ramped up even more, and the set pieces where much bigger and more kinetic. It also has that train sequence, which is one of the best designed levels ever. Nolan North and the other actors are great too.

To be honest I’m a bit bored of this style of game Naughty Dog has been making for a decade now, but Uncharted 1 and especially 2 felt like landmark games for the medium when they came out. Naughty Dog has gone a long way toward climbing out of the uncanny valley.

Every Uncharted game has been quality, although the mechanics of the original feel rough now and Golden Abyss feels small compared to the spectacle the series became known for.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #918 on: June 15, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »
Wow! Resonance of Fate!

I really loved that game, though I was unable to finish it. It got to a point where it was too hard for me. I've thought about going back to it and trying again though. It was a really fun game, and I really loved the characters.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #919 on: June 15, 2017, 10:48:23 AM »
Uncharted 2 made my top 25.  Brilliant game - great improvements over the first, and the third had troubles continuing that trend.  Loved all of them, but 2 was something especially special.  I haven't played 4 yet, and will only do so because it's on PS4.  After that, I think I'll bail on the franchise - not sure how much more originality they can come up with.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #920 on: June 16, 2017, 09:20:13 AM »
Wow! Resonance of Fate!

I really loved that game, though I was unable to finish it. It got to a point where it was too hard for me. I've thought about going back to it and trying again though. It was a really fun game, and I really loved the characters.
Nice! How far into it did you get? I thought the difficulty leveled off after awhile, pretty much the only times I got stuck later on is when I was forgetting some aspect I didn't use often (like burning things).

Uncharted 2 made my top 25.  Brilliant game - great improvements over the first, and the third had troubles continuing that trend.  Loved all of them, but 2 was something especially special.  I haven't played 4 yet, and will only do so because it's on PS4.  After that, I think I'll bail on the franchise - not sure how much more originality they can come up with.
Yeah it's a fine game but it's pretty much more Uncharted. I really want NG to make something completely different after Last of Us II.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #921 on: June 16, 2017, 09:55:53 AM »
Wow! Resonance of Fate!

Nice! How far into it did you get? I thought the difficulty leveled off after awhile, pretty much the only times I got stuck later on is when I was forgetting some aspect I didn't use often (like burning things).

Yeah, I think it was maybe Chapter 5 or 6. I remember getting through a few chapters early, and then running to a dungeon that was REALLY hard. It might have been a little bit after we went into a dungeon to get a statue for a guy, or maybe a chapter or two after that. I remember that part, but it's been a while. I was probably just not leveled up enough, and I think I had other games to play. But it's always stuck in my mind as a really cool game, I'd like to get back to some day.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #922 on: June 17, 2017, 08:46:56 AM »
26. Ape Escape

The N64 is remembered much more for its platformers than the Playstation was, which is understandable though unfair since the PS1 honestly had a few feathers in that cap too. My favorite of which is Ape Escape, a 3D platformer in which the things you collect aren’t inanimate objects but monkeys! It’s a simple change but makes the collecting much more interesting, because the monkeys have individual personalities. Some are lazy and easily snuck up on, some are skittish and can quickly run away, and some are just aggressive and will attack you, maybe even pull a gun on you! The game has really good vibes, it’s just fun watching what the monkeys are up to or reading about what their hobbies are in the index.

The game also uses an unconventionally control scheme that emphasizes using the analogue sticks for using your tools over the face buttons, which gives the game a different feel too.

Ape Escape 2 is solid, but largely a rehash of the first game. 3 is more inventive in its level environments.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #923 on: June 17, 2017, 09:03:16 AM »
We've reached the halfway point so how about another round of honorable mentions?

Pokemon Emerald

Pokemon Black & White 2

Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

F-Zero GX

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #924 on: June 17, 2017, 09:07:26 AM »
-Professor layton is charming and the puzzle solving is fantastic.

-  F-zero GX  :metal :metal  What a badass, incredibly fast pace and challenging game. I truly love the F-zero series and am dying for nintendo to make a new one or at the very least make all of them available for download on the Switch.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #925 on: June 17, 2017, 09:15:29 AM »
It is bizarre how Nintendo has let F-Zero languish considering how consistently solid that series is.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: June 17, 2017, 12:22:22 PM »
Man that's what Pokemon looks like now-a-days?

I only played original red.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #927 on: June 17, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »
Man that's what Pokemon looks like now-a-days?

I only played original red.

Nope that's how they looked 5 or 6 years ago.   :biggrin:

Now they look like this:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #928 on: June 17, 2017, 06:47:06 PM »
layton games are so good. i like unwound future the most but diabolical box & azran legacy are both up there

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #929 on: June 19, 2017, 09:07:19 AM »
25. Fire Emblem

Fire Emblem is actually the seventh game in the series (subtitled The Blazing Sword in Japan) but was the first to be released in North America, seemed to come out of nowhere when it appeared onto my radar. Here’s this rad strategy-rpg series Nintendo has just had in the background all this time?! Taking place on a 2D grid, it wasn’t as deep as Final Fantasy Tactics but could bring a good bit of challenge depending on the lay of the map, and the fact that there is permadeath for every character, even the unique ones. Actually, ALL of your characters are unique, so if they died, you have to either: 1. Restart from your last save, or 2. Continue the rest of the game without them. There is no cannon fodder you can just throw at enemies like in most strategy games. Nowadays I’m not in love with that aspect of Fire Emblem, but it’s a huge thing that makes even relatively easy battles more intense, because the price of screwing up is so high.

The story is pretty boilerplate, but Lyn is pretty good female protagonist I still recall even after all this time, and there is a decent amount of variety in objectives and level designs, and good but not daunting level of challenge. It also has a great colorful look to it, especially the sprite art, which is large and energetic for a GBA game. The best thing about it though is how tight and balanced everything feels. When you screw up and lose a unit or a whole battle it feels fair, as does navigating maps with difficult terrain and figuring out where the best place to make a stand or bottle neck the enemy. And getting a unit leveled up and upgrading their class is always satisfying.

I’ll be honest, my interest in the series has declined over time. The GBA follow up The Sacred Stones, was not as tight as the first (too easy) but was still quite enjoyable. Path of Radiance on the Gamecube was solid but had pretty ugly graphics. Shadow Dragon on DS was a remake of the original FE that was a little too faithful for how boring it was and it somehow had inferior sprite work compared to the GBA games. The 3DS games Awakening and Fates have given the series a second life, but at the expense of waifu-pandering characterizations and bad writing in general. That said I’m still buying these games, and so far I’ve found Shadow of Valencia a refreshing return to basics.

Maybe I just like the FE7 the most because it’s the first one I played, although from what I gather from hardcore Fire Emblem fans 7 is considered one of the most balanced and well-regarded games in the series.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #930 on: June 19, 2017, 09:15:13 AM »
24. Burnout 3: Takedown

Burnout was a moderately successful series before 3, but 3 still seemed to come out of nowhere to knock my socks off. The whole gimmick with Burnout is that, yes, it is a fast arcade racing game, but what distinguishes it is how it encourages driving a little recklessly. Causing other cars to crash or driving through oncoming traffic will give you more boost, which makes it easier to boost through other competitors and get you even more boost. Screwing up and crashing yourself is not the worst thing either. When you yourself are about to crash it will go into slow-mo, and you can manipulate your cars to try to take out others with you! Starting over isn’t very punishing, as the game expects there to lots of crashing on all sides and keeps the pace up. Overall it’s just a lot of fun nonsense.

The follow up Revenge was really solid, and Paradise has a strong following. But for me nothing will match the novelty of discovering 3 for the first time.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #931 on: June 20, 2017, 11:30:37 AM »
23. Valkyria Chronicles

Valkyria Chronicles is a turn-based strategy-rpg but unlike the grid-based conventions that are usually associated with the sub-genre, VC lets you move and aim attacks with individual unit yourself in real-time. The game has excellent variety of objectives from mission to mission that are really good at pushing you out of your comfort zone. Units have unique personalities and have naturally affinity when group with certain other units. If their health reaches zero, they can be revived, but they can be killed permanently if you aren’t quick to rescue them.

Can’t talk about VC with mentioning it’s unique, water-colored art style and cell shaded graphics. It looks like a storybook, and despite the subject manner (a war vaguely reminiscent of both World Wars mashed together) it remains fairly light (a bit like Advance Wars) while not being too flippant. It had critical acclaim and good word of mouth, but unfortunately as a PS3 exclusive in the early days of the system it didn’t gather more than a cult following. Sega has a knack for making great games that don’t gain traction.  :'( Luckily a PC and PS4 remaster has brought this game back into the spotlight to a degree.

Any other series entries worth playing?

Valkyria Chronicles II was a major step back storywise with some of the most insufferably cliché anime stereotypes possible, and was released on the PSP which couldn’t really pull off the scale and look of the first game. There was a third VC game that was better in the story department but never got a release outside Japan. Valkyria Revolution is a spinoff that looks more like a generic action-rpg than a strategy game, and honestly seems to miss a lot of what made the original so cool. Sega seems to know the series has some cache but has yet to greenlight a true worth successor. :(
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:29:50 PM by Mr. Beale »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #932 on: June 20, 2017, 01:42:56 PM »
I have this one on steam too. Need to play it eventually

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #933 on: June 20, 2017, 02:41:16 PM »
Awesome list so far, very varied and plenty of titles I have pending. Just sad that Pokemon Emerald didn't make it, that one was #3 on mine  :lol

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #934 on: June 21, 2017, 06:35:06 PM »
Awesome list so far, very varied and plenty of titles I have pending. Just sad that Pokemon Emerald didn't make it, that one was #3 on mine  :lol

Thanks! Good to find another Emerald fan. :) Don't know why but that's one I've replayed the most.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #935 on: June 21, 2017, 06:44:10 PM »
I must have almost 200 hours if not more accumulated among many replays.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #936 on: June 21, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »
22. XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within

XCOM is a series cherished by PC gamers, but the only ones I’m familiar with are the recent revivals by Firaxis. The premise is the you are commanding a special international joint military operation tasked with somehow stopping an alien invasion. The hook of the game is that there’s two level of strategy. The first is the larger overview level in which you must decide what facilities to build, what research takes the highest priority, when to spend resources to get more troops, and what missions to take next. Managing panic level of countries is important too. Because there are more attacks than you can respond to, you need to balance trying to keep all these plates spinning, but you might need to write off a few regions too. If you let too many collapse though it’s game over.

The second level is the tactile, turn-based combat missions in which a team need to either clean up an alien attack or do more specific objectives like disarming a bomb or rescuing an important scientist. I’m a sucker for turn-based tactical stuff like this, and I like the emphasis on getting to cover and flanking enemies, as well as the clear indicators of how likely you are to successfully land a hit (e.g. 68% chance of hit). While it can be infuriating when you miss something RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, it’s ultimately your fault if you gamble and take a risky shot. Once a unit dies they are gone for good, and while there is an endless supply of soldiers that can replace them, getting a fully promoted unit with all their extra abilities is important if you want to get to the end.

It isn’t flawless, after a few games it’s clear what's the critical path in terms of research, and once things start to go sideways it’s pretty much impossible to climb out of the hole, meaning it’s often better to just start a new file than play it out. And purists find it too streamlined compared to the minutiae of the original games. Nonetheless I was stoked about this game and spent a lot of time on it. It is best with Enemy Within, which was an expansion on PC but could only be purchased separately on console, in which there are more enemy types, a second organization that you are fighting against, and more upgrade and loadout options.

The original is considered a classic if you’re into older PC games. The newest one had a follow up and while it does expand on Enemy Unknown in smart ways and makes the strategy level more dynamic, it hasn’t hooked me like the Enemy Unknown did (although it’s a game I should try to get back to).

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #937 on: June 21, 2017, 07:29:30 PM »
21. rain

Rain is wonderful little game that came and went without much fanfare. Set in mid-20th century Paris, you play as a boy that somehow finds himself in a dream world(?) in which he is invisible, but his silhouette becomes visible when he steps into the pouring rain. You must play with this mechanic to your advantage, because there are strange shadow monsters stalking the streets (and will lead to some surprisingly violent deaths if you mess up). Between the gorgeous score and wonderful color palette, the game conjures a pensive and powerfully emotional experience, like a 'need to put the controller down for a bit because there's tears in my eyes' level of reaction from me. If you like walking in the rain and like games like Journey this is worth going back to check out. I might the only person that cares about this game  :lol but I think it's something special.

N/A

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: June 21, 2017, 07:42:03 PM »
I have both XCOM games but I haven't played either of them. My brother is always pushing for me to play, he is a huge fan.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #939 on: June 22, 2017, 01:14:17 PM »
I was a fan of the original PSOne X-Com, but more in a "I wish I was good at this game" kind of way. When the PS3 game came out I was all sorts of excited, and it did not disappoint, at all. XCOM 2 expanded on the original, and I loved it even more. Anybody with these in their possession should stop being on the internet now and play these games.
WELP.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #940 on: June 23, 2017, 06:29:30 PM »
20. Tekken 5

Tekken is a long running 3D fighting game series, and while 4 was a disappointment, the series came roaring back with Tekken 5. Incorporating the walled stages while backing off the weirder uneven environments, 5 felt like a measured evolution of the series, with some great stages (include the EPIC Moonlit Wilderness  :metal) and a great selection of new characters and veterans returning to the roster. Tekken 5 also took a page (or two) from Virtua Fighter and had more significant single player content in which you fight increasingly difficult AI and gain rank. There was also for the first time cosmetic additions you could unlock to customize the look of your characters. Tekken 5 actually had an update in Dark Resurrection which added Lili and Dragunov (two characters I really like) and later got a PS3 port with online play. That version is the definitive edition and is fantastic in every way except for the fact that most of the stages don’t look as cool as their base versions (though you can unlock the originals in certain modes).

Tekken 3 is often considered the best figher on the PS1, but I played a lot more Tekken Tag Tournament during the early days of the PS2. Tekken 7 is supposed to be a step up from Tekken 6 (which I found dull) but I haven’t tried it yet.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: June 23, 2017, 06:34:39 PM »
I think I remember playing Tekken 3 long ago. I could never get into the fighter genre that much but I can appreciate them.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #942 on: June 24, 2017, 07:39:24 PM »
19. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Donkey Kong Country was one of, if not the, best revival of a classic video game property. Featuring striking graphics and great music, it famously gave a late push for the aging SNES hardware. The follow-up however took everything the first did well and cranks it up a couple of notches more. I love how even though it’s “just” a mascot platformer, it takes story and worldbuilding seriously. DK, the hero of the first game, has been captured by the Kremlings, and Diddy and Dixie must travel to their land and fight them on their ground to rescue DK, with anxious and foreboding overworld music to match. I’ve alwayed loved that about the DKC games, they go the extra length to convey the world as a real place, and not just a string of levels. And the way David Wise can convey so much emotion through his melodies adds so much weight to what’s going on.

Gameplay wise there’s a lot of levels filled with secrets, and even more challenge to 100% complete. In retrospect these games sometimes get dismissed by some snobs as being only popular because of the flashy graphics and not the substance. And while it’s true they don’t push the genre forward as much as Mario tended to, they are still quality platformers and few games have as much personality as DKC games do, especially 2, and still hold up today.

The original DKC is not quite as good but is still a classic. But the big one is really the newest entry: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze by Retro Studios. Their first DKC game was solid, but Tropical Freeze is traditional platformer tour de force. Excellent level design with just the right level of challenge, it is my favorite game on that system. They also brought back David Wise, and good lord is that soundtrack phenomenal! I think it was the best collection of music I listened to that entire year anywhere. It’s easy to overlook it as just another Nintendo platformer, but no, this is seriously one of the best platformers I’ve ever played. It’s probably the best game in the series to be honest, DKC 2 just has a little more nostalgia going for it. Sadly it’s a Wii U game, and doesn’t seem likely to get a Switch port unfortunately.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 07:48:08 PM by Mr. Beale »

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #943 on: June 24, 2017, 08:31:39 PM »
18. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

Born of a collaboration between Atlus, an rpg developer known for the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series, and Arc System Works, veteran fighting game developer known for creating games with “anime” flair, Ultimax in a lot of ways is better than a spinoff has any right to be. It smartly draws a lot from the Persona series in terms of looks, sound, and style and there plenty of references in character’s movesets that fans will get pleasure from. I can’t stress enough how much those graphics pop, especially in motion.

That said what really makes this great isn’t the fact it’s a Persona game, but where it inspired the developers to take the mechanics. First off, it takes status effects from the rpgs and translates them to a fighting game. Some of them are pretty self-explanatory (poison) while others are less obvious (rage, panic, silence). Seeing how they play out can be pretty amusing, and adds an extra bit of flavor more than most fighting games. Second, knowing that the property would draw in an audience beyond the traditional fighter crowd, they made sure the controls were streamlined and easy to approach. This meant not only does control feel wonderfully light and responsive, but they mapped a bunch of universal commands to simple two button combinations. This means that you know you have access to a bunch of tools regardless of which character playing and makes it easier to remember said tools. And not only do special moves have low input barriers and is generally easy to find some simple combs, there is even an auto-combo system where players can repeatedly press one button to get a scripted combo. It’s not optimal but it gives you can idea of what combos looks like for casuals, and can be a helpful crutch for more serious minded but low-skilled players (like myself), because you can branch off the scripted combo at any point to try your own flourishes.

Thirdly and perhaps the biggest thing that sets P4AU apart from other fighters is how the Personas themselves work. For the uninitiated, Personas are manifestations of one’s inner psyche and can be called upon to defend yourself by Persona users. How Arc translates this into a fighting game is that about half of a characters move list involves invoking their Persona. The Persona generally hit harder than the character’s normal moves and have much more reach. Combos alternating between the characters normal moves and the Persona’s attacks look awesome, and express their individual personalities better than the turn-based battle system of the games they originally come from! The catch is that these aren’t just projectiles: because they are an extension of the character, they can be hit. You won’t take health damage, but if they get hit too many times they can be broken, meaning you won’t be able to use any moves that involve the Persona for a set period of time until you’ve recharged you stock of hits. That is a HUGE handicap, and while there are a couple of characters that do most of their damage via normal moves, for most characters that is a bad place to be, especially for those whose game really depends on their Personas to get good damage. So you don’t want to be throwing out your Persona without much thought, but at the same time you have to if you want to really go on the attack. That tension, and the fact that your opponents Persona is also blinking in and out of the picture, supercharges movement and spacing considerations, to point of feeling omnipresent. You are constantly making small interesting decisions with this in the forefront of your mind and it is endlessly fascinating and rewarding. I love it.  :heart

Ultimax, if you haven’t caught on already, is a follow-up to the original P4 Arena. That game is excellent, but Ultimax blows it away by nearly doubling the roster size and making balancing tweaks you would expect in a sequel. At 22 characters it isn’t the biggest roster by any means, but there are few fighters that have as much variety as Ultimax, and of those none make me want to learn every character the way Ultimax does. EVERYONE is just a lot of fun to use. If I had unlimited time I would love to pick up and learn every character. That, more than anything else, is a testament to how good the game is. And that’s not even getting into the fact that a lot of the characters have Shadow versions, which don’t have access to Bursts (a pretty big handicap in Arc games) and do a little less damage per attack BUT can carry over meter from round to round and can enter a frenzy state in which you have unlimited access to specials and can chain together moves you aren’t normally able to, meaning you can make some stupid broken nonsense. They more for skilled players but they’re fun remixes to change thing up.

I only have a few quibbles with the game. The story isn’t great and feels thrown together, which is disappointing after the first game took care to have a surprisingly good one (perhaps the best story in a fighting game?). The second is that Ultimax alone isn’t as good as the Japanese subtitle (Ultra Suplex Hold!) which fits the goofy cover art better. And there’s just the fact that I was too old when this came out to put in the time the game deserved. If I was younger when this came out this would easily be top 10 material. Yeah, that’s it. To me it’s a perfect confluence of being both very deep but also very approachable, has tons of style, and is also very thematic befitting the source material. It’s awesome.  :hatSuffice to say I hope we get a Persona 5 Arena someday.

The original Persona 4 Arena is an excellent game, but the only thing it does better than Ultimax is the story mode, and if you really want that you can actually import it into Ultimax via dlc.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #944 on: June 25, 2017, 07:17:36 AM »
I've never played DK2, I wonder how well it'd run on an emulator. I think my gf would enjoy it.

Great write-up on Persona. I've heard so much about the game since Persona 5 came out but never really understood what it's all about.I don't think it's my thing but still an interesting read.