Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83069 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I generally hate RPG games.
wut

You clearly don't as you've had five already, nearly half your list so far! :lol

HAHAHA Touche!

So.... crickets?

MP2 Echoes is more than a worthy successor to Prime. Sequels that similar to the original can feel just like a retread, while MP2 manages to use the exact same game mechanics, yet still feel like a whole new game. I didn't state that very well.

I normally don't like lists with honorable mentions, but... here are mine (HYPOCRITE!)

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)   
Blew up my world when it first came out. Played it through a couple times, and the Master Quest once, but honestly can't imagine playing it again, which keeps it off the list.

Super Mario World (NES)
On another day, this replaces Mario 64 on my list. A timeless classic.

Tex Murphy: Overseer (PC)   
The last installment of the original Tex Murphy series. And the first game to be developed to specifically take advantage of DVD. NO MORE CHANGING DISCS!!!  As it is a flashback story, there is no branching or multiple endings. But the gameplay matches its predecesors, and the story is the best of the series, less supernatural, and more personal to Tex, addressing his backstory and why he is the character he is in the previous games. The makers made the ending a cliffhanger with plans to release at least one more sequel. But the company was sold to Microsoft, who abandoned the project as FMV/3D games like this were losing popularity. It would take another 16 years, more ownership changes, and a successful Kickstarter campaign for the cliffhanger to finally be resolved, and for fans to see another Tex Murphy game. And now, Overseer is getting redone, refined, and re-imagined with new technology

Can I add a twist to this thread? Whoever picks my #1 gets to go next.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde? Big Rigs Racing? Any of the Zelda's for CD-I?
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Alright I'll guess, Perfect Dark

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Oh I'll go for a Phoenix Wright game.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Pong VII: Turbo Hyper Fighting
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
I know what it is.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
I know what it is.

:lol

I'm thinking of doing one of these lists (though it won't be until I'm nearing the end of the school year which is in about one and a half month if I pass everything). I can already say it'll be fairly predictable, when I used to be into gaming it was almost exclusively nintendo and I bet those have occurred a million times on these lists. Anyway, gonna see if I can compile a list ASAP so you can put me down on dat waiting list

Anyway, back on topic, nothing in Chris' writeup directly suggests that Legend of Zelda (NES) is his favourite game of the franchise, so I'm gonna guess Link to the Past
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Cable

Someone should do a worst 25 games list!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:46:40 PM by CableX »
---

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyway, back on topic, nothing in Chris' writeup directly suggests that Legend of Zelda (NES) is his favourite game of the franchise, so I'm gonna guess Link to the Past

Thought that would be easier.

1. A Link to the Past (SNES)

The flagship game of one of the industry's flagship franchises, on one of the best consoles ever made. Too early to say, but does Breath of the Wild end up taking the reigns from ALttP?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Link to the past still impresses me to this day. Is it one of my favorite games every made? absolutely.   Is it my favorite zelda? its probably a toss up between it and Ocarina, but regardless I love link to the past with a passion.

I will finding out how breath of the wild ranks shortly. My switch is on its way  :)

• DT.net Member

I meant to reply to this yesterday. That's fine. But now I realize that Train of Naught ain't gonna be ready until he's done with school so I'll basically make him first on the waiting list which means even if who ever goes next finishes before he's done with school I'll try to remember to at least ask him if he wants to go next before moving on to others much like I'd been doing with jakarta and adace.

I'm probably just gonna leave those two guys on the list in sort of a limbo position in that I won't contact them anymore since they've not replied the last couple times their turns came up but if they ever contact me or post in this thread I'll just let them start as soon as the current list finishes.

All of that said, who wants to go next?

Also, ALttP is a fantastic game and a great choice for #1. I remember my brother and I renting this as 13 and 17 year old kids respectively and in the pre-internet era it was a huge mistake to think we'd beat a game like that during such a time frame. Good thing we bought it later on.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
My gf raves about A Link To The Past. She never plays games aside from Solitaire but she is a huge Zelda fan. The only Zelda game I've gotten around to is Ocarina of Time. I do want to try Breath of the Wild however.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Thought I was the last on the list, sorry for mucking up the order if I did.

And thank you everyone for reading. I also hope to play Breath of the Wild some day. Ocarina of Time is the last Zelda game that really wowed me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I could never get into any of the 2D Zelda games, because I'd played the 3D ones first. I got a decent amount into ALTTP, but it didn't do anything for me. Maybe if I'd played it first it would be different.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DT.net Member
Thought I was the last on the list, sorry for mucking up the order if I did.

No, not at all man. As I said, there were only two other people who might have been waiting but I think they've both told me to indefinitely skip them cuz of life getting in the way of them being able to commit.

Your system was fine except for the fact that the person who'd have been next isn't ready at this very moment.

That said, whom ever wants to go next, holla atcha boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
While we're waiting for someone else to get ready, any games that would make people's lists since they had their turn? My list would have yet more platformers that would potentially make the list that I've played in the meantime, including Inside, The Cave, and Guacamelee.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I was planning on adding some too, I do want to keep this thread alive.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

While we're waiting for someone else to get ready, any games that would make people's lists since they had their turn? My list would have yet more platformers that would potentially make the list that I've played in the meantime, including Inside, The Cave, and Guacamelee.

Quite possibly Axiom Verge and Final Fantasy XV.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I could do a list, but I really don't want to do write ups unless someone is curious about a particular game.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Just do your list! I only wrote a sentence or two about each game.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Yeah, I second that. Do the list

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
The Witness
Splasher
Hollow Knight
maybe Hyper Light Drifter too but probably not

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Witness
Splasher
Hollow Knight

I've had Hollow Knight on my wishlist for a little while to get next time it's on sale, looks good. I'm not familiar with the rest yet.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
While we're waiting for someone else to get ready, any games that would make people's lists since they had their turn?
So many great games I'd almost consider making another list - almost half of it would be new but most of the top 5 or so is still the same so dunno.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:37:37 AM by Sacul »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
The Witness
Splasher
Hollow Knight

I've had Hollow Knight on my wishlist for a little while to get next time it's on sale, looks good. I'm not familiar with the rest yet.
tbh hollow knight is underpriced at $15. took me like 40 hours to 100% & it's great fun

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
I can't wait to play Hallow knight on Switch. That's a game so beautiful that I want it right front and center in front of me. I don't want to miss a single detail.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Top 25 Video Games Lists! [v2.0] Stadler: Must get 100%! (starts pg 7)
« Reply #761 on: April 29, 2017, 05:12:34 AM »
I could do a list, but I really don't want to do write ups unless someone is curious about a particular game.

I'd love to follow your list, but ....

I'd love to do a list, but I know my track record on these things...  :-\

;)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Final round results when

• DT.net Member
Hey Mason, if you wanna do a list that's cool. Write-ups or not, it ain't an issue either way. Might even open things up a tad more since sometimes people whom had little to no interest about a game might be mentally fatigued after reading a lengthy spiel about it whereas if they have nothing to go on, they might be curious about the odd detail or two and inquire about it.

Offline Mr. Beale

Not to be a newb and just barge in here, but I could do a list if no ones waiting. I've actually been making a personal list on my own, might as well post about it here.  :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Sweet! I'm interested in reading.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I'M AS MAD AS HELL...... THAT SOMEONE NEW HASN'T STARTED POSTING THEIR LIST YET!

Offline Mr. Beale

Heh, I need a little more time to get a bigger head start. But I can get going soon. :yarr

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
I made a list last night, I'll start when I get home from work.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Welcome to "Doc teaches Old School and New School games"

A few things to help put my list into perspective:

I'm 38...I've been playing video games for about 30 years.  The systems I have owned are: NES, Sega Genesis, Turbo Grafx-16, PS1, PS2, PS3, Wii, PS4, as well as PC.  That's a lot of games.  Also, being a child of the 80s and early 90s, arcade machines were paid a lot of quarters.  All but one of those systems will have at least one game, and one game from a system I didn't own will make the list.  I like hard games.  Check that, I have always liked brutally hard games.  Back in the day, we didn't have the internet to help us figure things out.  Games that challenged were always welcome.  For this list, one game per franchise, otherwise 20% would be one franchise, and a few other might have had multiple entries.  Most of the time, the chosen game will be my favorite from the series, but I think in at least one case a different game is chosen.

I made my list by going through lists of every game published for the systems I owned except PC (that list might not exist or would be too hard).  My initial list had 50 nominees, so I'll start with 25 honorable mentions:

NES
Super Mario Bros. 3
Faxanadu
Bionic Commando
Blaster Master
Castlevania
Dragon Warrior
Mike Tyson's Punchout
Contra
Strider
Shadowgate

Sega Genesis