Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83106 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 25 Video Games Lists! [v2.0] BlobVanDam: I Hope You Like Platformers
« Reply #245 on: August 01, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »
Never really played any of the Mario Karts besides 64, but I imagine they are all fun  :tup

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #246 on: August 01, 2016, 03:57:45 PM »
Yes! Excellent calls on both accounts. I will say that the sequels for each are the pinnacles for me, and I recommend trying them out if you have the means.

Castlevania 3 for NES is closer to I than II, in terms of levels instead of open world, but the gameplay is massively improved. You can pick up other characters to help you through the quest, it's got multiple paths to take, and is quite a deal longer.

Mario Kart 8 is... well it's just the best MK there is. Forget CV3 and make sure you play this game.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #247 on: August 02, 2016, 07:20:51 AM »
I'll do better with the pix on future posts.  It didn't matter with either of these games, as I just wanted a generic screen shot to show the game (I'm not even 100% the MK pic is the version I played and loved so much) but I can see with some of the later ones that I would want a specific picture.   Learnin' as I go!!!

As I said in the writeup, I'm going to pick up the NES re-release this fall just for Castlevania (and one other game).   Should be good!!

Offline Cable

« Reply #248 on: August 02, 2016, 08:11:18 PM »
I'll do better with the pix on future posts.  It didn't matter with either of these games, as I just wanted a generic screen shot to show the game (I'm not even 100% the MK pic is the version I played and loved so much) but I can see with some of the later ones that I would want a specific picture.   Learnin' as I go!!!

As I said in the writeup, I'm going to pick up the NES re-release this fall just for Castlevania (and one other game).   Should be good!!

I like the list already Stadler! I played the heck out of MK-Wii, and should have put that on my list if it wasn't. It was a such a smooth game, and the multiplayer wasn't too bad outside of the friend codes. I played a lot of Castlevania III, beat the first one much later down the road, and beat and enjoyed Simon's Quest a lot. It was a classic ask your fiends how to do things, or read about it to beat it. I miss those days at times.  :lol Nice to see someone else giving it attention.
---

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: August 03, 2016, 11:48:57 AM »
Keep this moving...

18.   Dark Forces (PC)

My experience at this point with “first person shooters” (FPS) was limited to DOOM and the original shareware Wolfenstein game.   Now, as you’ll see (or maybe already know), I’m a Star Wars fan boy (yeah, I even like the Prequels…) and so this was kind of the first time the Star Wars franchise joined with another favorite of mine and so I ate this game up.  I didn’t know at the time that it was sort of revolutionary – adding several features to the FPS genre that are common now, like up and down looks, and integrated puzzles -  and I think it was the first game I finished all the way through.  It was immersive to me, and I know I spent a lot of time working through the levels, and making sure I found the hidden upgrades and such. 

There was a sequel, but I never played it.  Has anyone played the PS Network downloadable version?  I’m thinking of giving it a try.

17.   Dragon Warrior (NES)

Probably the first RPG game I ever played (it might be “Ultima”, I’m not sure, but either way it was close).   I’m a sucker for the “save the princess, kill the king, find the gold!” tropes of RPGs, and so I loved the complexity of this game.  There was an elegant beauty to this game, in the way it made you ignore the tropes as you played it.   I loved how the further you went from the main Castle, the harder the enemies got, I loved how you seemed to have a choice in the dialogue - even if you really didn't - and I loved that there were more ways than one to skin that cat.   Build up points? Fight.  Follow the main quest?  Sure.   

I would sit in my room for hours and play this; I can remember getting into Neil Young around this time and playing “Freedom” (mostly), “Decade” and, later, “Ragged Glory”.   I'm sure there are better games in this genre, but I think those may have to do with advances in technology and not in story or game-play.   I don’t know that I would go back and play it now, and I didn't play any of the sequels, but I have fond memories of this game, and it certainly formed the basis for a lot of what I’ve done since in terms of game play. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: August 03, 2016, 11:50:33 AM »
Never heard of Dark Forces but that screenshot makes it look like Doom in the Star Wars universe.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #251 on: August 03, 2016, 11:52:17 AM »
I only played the demo of Dark Forces, but I played through Dark Forces 2 (aka Jedi Knight) when a friend gave me a copy. Star Wars actually has a pretty good record of solid games, so I dig. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: August 03, 2016, 01:01:06 PM »
Never heard of Dark Forces but that screenshot makes it look like Doom in the Star Wars universe.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.  I thought it had a better atmosphere and slightly better gameplay, though if I recall, it was a little glitchy (but that could have been my computer; I had a good system but it wasn't a high-end elite system). 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #253 on: August 03, 2016, 02:38:22 PM »
There was a sequel, but I never played it.  Has anyone played the PS Network downloadable version?  I’m thinking of giving it a try.
The whole Jedi Knight series (three games) followed on from this and carried on Kyle Katarn's story. Very solid series, with each game a bit better than the last IMO (and obviously they changed a lot as technology and graphics changed). The original Dark Forces is incredibly dated now and I found it pretty clunky.

EDIT: Oh and renamed the thread. :)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 25 Video Games Lists! [v2.0] Stadler: Must get 100%! (starts pg 7)
« Reply #254 on: August 03, 2016, 02:49:54 PM »
Dammit, you nailed it with that title.  My gaming right now is almost exclusively trying like hell to get 100% on CoD: World at War (I have two trophies on the Der Reise Zombie map) and Bioshock: Infinite (the three DLCs).  :) 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #255 on: August 03, 2016, 02:58:07 PM »
Thanks Rich :)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #256 on: August 03, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
Dammit, you nailed it with that title.  My gaming right now is almost exclusively trying like hell to get 100% on CoD: World at War (I have two trophies on the Der Reise Zombie map) and Bioshock: Infinite (the three DLCs).  :) 
:lol Yeah I read your introductory post and that was what stood out to me. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #257 on: August 03, 2016, 04:33:22 PM »
Goddamn there were some great games in Blob's list. I know we're onto the next list but I wanted to mention a few things.

A) I love the Zelda series but Link to the Past on the SNES will always be my favourite!! What a game.

B) there were some great racing games but one if my faves I wanted to mention was Star Wars Episode One Pod racer on the N64!! That game had a sense of speed I'd never felt in a game up until that point. Great tracks, really good learning curve and lots of characters/pod racers to choose from.

C) A distinct lack of Playstation One games  :facepalm: Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy 7, 8 & 9. But anyway, maybe I should shut up and get myself on the list and signed up for this.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #258 on: August 03, 2016, 08:25:13 PM »

Let me guess: Perkaholics Anonymous and either Pack Addict or Acquire Waffle Weapons. The former was a massive pain in the ass. Maybe 60% of my recent game time can be attributed to CoD Zombies, and I still had trouble with that one.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: August 04, 2016, 12:10:25 AM »
C) A distinct lack of Playstation One games  :facepalm: Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy 7, 8 & 9. But anyway, maybe I should shut up and get myself on the list and signed up for this.

I'm old school. Never had one, never played any of the games. You should definitely sign up and do a list. I love seeing the variety of games people play. :tup

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #260 on: August 04, 2016, 01:00:26 AM »

I'm old school. Never had one, never played any of the games. You should definitely sign up and do a list. I love seeing the variety of games people play. :tup

But you have loads of N64 games, they're all the same era  :huh:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: August 04, 2016, 01:01:31 AM »

Yeah, but Nintendo is oldschool. I never accepted Sony making consoles. :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #262 on: August 04, 2016, 01:39:51 AM »

Yeah, but Nintendo is oldschool. I never accepted Sony making consoles. :lol

Fair enough  :lol

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #263 on: August 04, 2016, 01:55:45 AM »
I've only every played the sequel to Dark Forces, but that one was awesome so I'm sure the original was too. :tup
The Dragon Quest series is awesome! It's funny how little they change from game to game, just goes to show how solid the gameplay was.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: August 04, 2016, 07:20:52 AM »

Let me guess: Perkaholics Anonymous and either Pack Addict or Acquire Waffle Weapons. The former was a massive pain in the ass. Maybe 60% of my recent game time can be attributed to CoD Zombies, and I still had trouble with that one.

Nailed it.   I actually need all three, but I figure the last one is random, and I'll get it through brute force.   I imagine Pack Addict will come with time too, but that Perks Anonymous...  I'm not even coming close.   I think the furthest I've gotten is Round 12.   Having said that, though, I never really came close to Big Baller either until one round everything clicked and I just got into a groove and nailed it. 

Any tips you might have, I'm all ears... 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #265 on: August 04, 2016, 08:09:27 AM »
I'd love to do a list, but I know my track record on these things...  :-\

Offline Cable

« Reply #266 on: August 04, 2016, 08:29:09 AM »
Woo Dragon (Quest) Warrior! The Dragonlord thing at the end is kind of cool, where you can join him. This game was tough at times, but much fun.
---

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #267 on: August 04, 2016, 10:16:06 AM »
Nailed it.   I actually need all three, but I figure the last one is random, and I'll get it through brute force.   I imagine Pack Addict will come with time too, but that Perks Anonymous...  I'm not even coming close.   I think the furthest I've gotten is Round 12.   Having said that, though, I never really came close to Big Baller either until one round everything clicked and I just got into a groove and nailed it. 

Any tips you might have, I'm all ears...

Let's see... The most important point: don't open Teleporter C (the one with the Bowie Knife, in case I incorrectly recalled the letter). This allows you to comfortably camp by the power, provided that you liberally use the trap. Make to sure to obtain both Monkeys and the Ray Gun from the box before it moves to the one spot you'll be leaving closed. I couldn't have done it without those weapons. I can't really help from here. Once you are set up, it's a matter of becoming comfortable with the defensive strategy.

I don't want to derail this thread any more than I already have, so I'll leave it at that.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: August 05, 2016, 11:15:27 AM »
16.   Doom (PC)

I usually subscribe to the mantra, “all things being equal, the first to the party wins”.   It’s not equal; I think I like Dark Forces better, but Doom was so cool and so new when it first came out (as shareware) that it gets the higher spot.   It’s comic-book in a way that I wouldn’t really enjoy now (my one beef with the aforementioned Call Of Duty: World At War Zombies is the inane voice over – “Die you maggot sacks!”. Please.) but I spent HOURS at this game.  The first phase was shareware, but I was so into it, that I was one of those (relatively few, it seems) that bought the second and third phases commercially.  I never really took full advantage of the WADs, so didn't customize it too much, but I had a disk of alternate levels, and I had an editor, though I never really used it.  I just remember being immersed in the game, and it was a real way of transitioning from the NES to the PC as a game platform.  As you’ll see with the rest of the list, I rarely went back to the NES with any regularity. 

15.   The Legend of Zelda (I) and Zelda II: The Adventures of Link (II) (NES)

A precursor to the full-blown RPG concept, and by all accounts a landmark in gaming history.  Even if you don’t like the actual game itself, it’s kind of like The Yardbirds of gaming; you’ve really enjoyed something that can trace their roots back to here.   I’ve included both of the first two games, even though they are not identical, because they are officially the first and its only sequel (the rest - I think there are 16 more games on various platforms - are alternate stories or set in alternate universes).   These are also, though coincidentally, the only two that I’ve played.   I have said repeatedly about other games that “I loved them then, but I wouldn’t probably go back and play them today”, but these are the first that I absolutely would.   I tried to get them downloaded to my Wii to play them there (it was a problem with the TV when I tried last) and I may work on that in the future, but these games were immersive and were a lot of fun.  “It’s a secret to everybody!”   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: August 05, 2016, 04:22:32 PM »
I guess Doom was no surprise considering your SW game pic earlier and write up for it.   :metal  Loved the Doom games as a kid and respect their place in video game history.

As for the NES Zeldas, as I mentioned in Blob's post, I never really got into those.  That's just a me thing though, I totally respect and understand the love for them.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: August 05, 2016, 11:56:27 PM »
I've played a bit of these games, but never got hugely into them. Undeniably great choices though! :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: August 06, 2016, 07:49:00 AM »
Love Doom but never played those Zelda games.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #272 on: August 07, 2016, 07:15:46 AM »
I beat Uncharted 1 last night. I had never played it before now, but decided to after beating Uncharted 4 and thinking it was one of the best games I've ever played. I'm sad to say that I didn't enjoy Uncharted 1 nearly as much, but it also makes sense as that game is a decade old at this point. There were too many gunfights and I found it insanely difficult/frustrating/rage inducing. :lol

Edit: Oops. I realized this is the wrong video game thread. My bad, fellas. :sadpanda:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:28:48 AM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: August 08, 2016, 01:47:25 PM »
14.   Myst (PC)

Part breathtaking (the video/graphics were a world apart then, and being a fan of the band “Yes”, I felt like Roger Dean was influential on the look of this game) and part maddening (the puzzles were, to me, HARD) with a dash of creepy (“The pages!!!  The pages!!!”), this was an indelible example that video games did not need dragons or Big Fucking Machine Guns to be great.   I loved this game, but it was so cutting edge that I honestly don’t feel I appreciated it at the time.   Memory is sketchy, but I remember it being at the limit of my machine’s capabilities (it relied heavily on CD-ROM which wasn’t quite perfected then).   Another game that was recently ported to the PS, and one I may go back and revisit.   I did not play any of the four sequels. 

13.   Tie Fighter/X-Wing (PC)

This game…  it was so much fun to sit in my bedroom with the joystick (which I bought specifically for these two games), put on tunes and go to town.  Another game that I never really explored the limits to (I didn’t finish anywhere near all the campaigns on X-Wing, and even less on Tie Fighter) but just the idea of flying around space in the Star Wars universe… I have never really been a huge “space” guy in terms of video games but these were the exception. I understand they are available now for like $10 at gog.com, though I didn't see them there.  I would need to see if they run on my Mac (though I’ve long since parted with the joystick…). 

Offline Cable

« Reply #274 on: August 08, 2016, 06:30:54 PM »
So much fun playing X-Wing and Tie Fighter. Especially using stuff like the B-Wing and what not.
---

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: August 08, 2016, 10:36:50 PM »

I played Myst a little bit when I was young but I was awful at the game and didn't really like. I read about the story of the game a while back and it seemed really interesting.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: August 15, 2016, 02:52:46 PM »
Sorry for the delay; traveled this weekend!

12.   Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 (PS3)

One of the first FPS’s I played on the PS3, and the first games I played every part of (each episode, the training missions, etc.).    Loved these games, and wish there was a third (the second was too short).   The graphics were great, there was just enough variety in the weaponry to make you think, and the AI was just good enough that it could be fun to use your colleagues now and again to take a bullet for you.   I just bought RS3 for Xbox, but I feel I’m going to be disappointed.

11.   Asteroids (Console)

One of the few console games I really enjoyed playing; too bad I sucked and never lasted very long.     Not the same on the Atari 2600 (too slow, and the graphics didn’t have that “fine line” that was so cool on the console version).   One of the few vintage games I could see myself dropping $20 in quarters into and playing for hours. 

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #277 on: August 16, 2016, 03:38:11 AM »
Interesting mix of new and old.  :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: August 16, 2016, 03:44:34 AM »
I've only played the old. :biggrin:

Offline Skeever

« Reply #279 on: August 16, 2016, 06:06:17 AM »
All fantastic picks so far Stadler!

I feel I may have some newer games to recommend you after seeing this list :)