Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83779 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)
« Reply #1155 on: March 11, 2018, 02:23:10 PM »
Pheonix have you played through all of them?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1156 on: March 11, 2018, 03:54:13 PM »
I've played all of the core series.

MGS2- I really loved it. Didn't even mind the Raiden switch, but the story went off the rails and got WAY to esoteric for my tastes. Oh its a simulation? sure, whatever. It was like a beautiful gymnastics routine, which could have been a 10, but they didn't stick the landing. They fell flat on their face with that last hour of fission mailed, corrupted colonel AI madness. WTF

Snake eater- I have the utmost respect for this game, but I don't like it that much. The whole jame's bond espionage cold war era vibe is very cool. I just didn't like healing myself and the wide open environment just wasn't for my specific taste. I like one single base like MGS2 and Shadow moses. I will say that the fight with The End was my favorite moment of any MGS game.

Guns of the patriots- LOTS of fun. I really like this game and all the little call backs like going back to shadow moses was awesome. my only nitpick is the london sneaking part. Besides that, it was awesome.

MGSV- sorry for anyone that loves it, but I hate it. Doesn't even feel like a metal gear game to me and I got bored like an hour into africa and stopped playing. There is no story and it just feels like the whole game meanders. When I play a metal gear game I like to feel like am watching a movie. Phantom pain is just a lot of wandering in the desert and I refuse to listen to hours of audio tapes to know whats up. And spoilers, its all one big fucking bait and switch. Fuck that. And I much prefer david hayter. Rant over

Ultimately, Metal gear solid is still my favorite since it felt like the all around most perfect (for me at least) and it really knocked me on my ass with all it had to offer. Going forward I was expecting the cool next level stuff, if that makes any sense.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1157 on: March 11, 2018, 04:15:38 PM »
I must be the only person on Earth who can't stand MGS, particularly the first game (and yeah, I did play the whole thing). Especially the gimmick with unplugging the controller and the overblown story. It's one of the most overrated series in gaming imo, but I do get why people enjoy it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: March 11, 2018, 05:21:28 PM »
I can definitely understand people not getting into the story of the game or really caring for it. I never played MGS2 or Snake Eater but I own them both so I will get around to playing them.

I started MGS4 when it was released and I was older then, I kept thinking "What the fuck is going on?"

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #1159 on: March 12, 2018, 10:49:35 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the entire MGS series not sure which one is my favorite. its hard to top the original and the impact it had on me when i played it for the first time back in the late 90s

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1160 on: March 13, 2018, 07:07:55 PM »
Here comes another game:

Divinity: Original Sin 2

This is a game that I just recently played and was immediately hooked.

On paper this game didn't really seem like it'd be something I'd like from a brief glance at the steam page; although I couldn't deny how gorgeous the game looked. I watched/read some of end of year top 10 games list and this game just kept coming up so one drunken night I said fuck it, I bought it.

My first thoughts are that this game is hard, like really difficult. I haven't played any of the other divinity games and this is the first game in a long time where I had to look online for some tips, however, if you stick with it the game does get easier. It's mainly the combat that is difficult. I'm not very used to turn based combat and if you attempt to attack an enemy one level higher than you, then you will be destroyed. Once you get the hand of the combat system and start thinking outside the box the game will get easier. Aesthically the game is beautifully made, and not just on the visual side of things, but the voice acting and sound is just spectacular.

This game may not be for everyone but I highly recommend checking it out, especially when it goes on sale. Give it a few hours and if you don't like it, return it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: March 13, 2018, 08:20:25 PM »
One of the guy's I follow on youtube listed that as #1 game for 2017 and got me intrigued since we have similar tastes.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1162 on: March 16, 2018, 05:07:07 AM »
Player Unknown's Battlegrounds

Everyone was playing this game so naturally I had to try it. This is some of the most tense gameplay I've encountered in years. From the moment you land you scurry to find some weapons, ammo, and gear while hopefully not getting shot in the process. It's a race the gear up and then it turns into a game of survival where you're creeping around corners and trying stay alive while offing anyone you may encouter. I particualy like playing duo or squad with a couple of my friends which adds a layer of teamwork to the action.

I also want to add that I've been playing Fortnite Battle Royal as well as PUBG, probably about the same amount of time. For people who are on console or may not have a beefy PC give Fortnight a shot as it's free. It's the same concept but feels very different than PUBG.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1163 on: March 19, 2018, 05:11:50 AM »
I'm probably going to only do three more games as I think this thread has run it's course:

Factorio

This game is crack. I seem to time travel whenever I play this game, I start the game up and 6 hours have suddenly past.

This game starts simple enough, you crash land on a randomly generated map and you must survive and create a rocket ship to take off, sounds simple enough. First you have to collect all the resources to do so, again simple enough. The thing is you'll never have enough time to get all the resources yourself, you need to use collectors built through blue prints. You also need to transfer the raw goods around the map. That is where the Factory comes in to play. You have to build an efficient, self-sustaining factory to build all the things you need to survive and win. It's not as easy as it sounds because you can always be more efficient in your build speed things up. There are also monsters out there that will attack you from time to time (depending on difficulty and how aggressive you are towards them). This game is hypnotizing, watching your factory come to life is really special especially when you don't have any bottlenecks. The game is currently in Early Access but it could be released today and it would be considered complete. It's getting steady, significant updates and I have yet to experience a bug or crash.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
A 2+ year bump because I kind of want to make my own top 25 video games list. I haven't quite made it yet, but there's likely to be stuff on it spanning 30 years of gaming. I'm mostly a Nintendo gamer but there are tons of other great games out there. Curious if anybody would be interested in me sharing, I feel like this thread needs a good revival  :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :tup doooo it

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I’m interested, go for it!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ErHaO

Will consider it but it is hard as hell making a list that feels definitive. As a personal rule I will only pick titles I have (re)played as an adult (so the last ten years or so), as for me that will be a more fair comparison than the somewhat rose tinted glasses of my childhood. But from my childhood faves I have replayed quite a bit over the years and some definitely held up, others not.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
A 2+ year bump because I kind of want to make my own top 25 video games list. I haven't quite made it yet, but there's likely to be stuff on it spanning 30 years of gaming. I'm mostly a Nintendo gamer but there are tons of other great games out there. Curious if anybody would be interested in me sharing, I feel like this thread needs a good revival  :corn

Do it for sure. Its gonna be good list.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
That is an interesting limitation to put on your list, ErHaO! I'd read that.

Cool, sounds like a few would be interested in mine then - I think I'll start working on it tonight, maybe post soon (unless somebody else wants to go before me, but if nobody does, then I'll just start when I am comfortable). There will be disappointments, surprises, head-scratchers, strong disagreements, and more disappointments. I will be serving hot takes until I take my last breath

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Go for it. I loved this thread.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm you're huckleberry.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Bring it in :metal

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Another visitor, stay awhile, stay forever.  :lol

Will follow this, although I never owned a Nintendo and will probably not know most of the games.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
I need to redo my list (or do a separate top 25) it's been a while since i first did mine now, haha

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
You're in for a treat then, Kwyjibo!

I think I'll actually hold off until my roulette is done; the writeups for those take so much of my time that I gotta stop biting off more than I can chew  :lol but it'll give me more time to think about this, so - soon!  :corn