Author Topic: 80s metal/hard rock: Y&T Discography - #1 album reviewed  (Read 9195 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
80s metal/hard rock: Y&T Discography - #1 album reviewed
« on: May 24, 2016, 11:18:51 AM »
Yeah, the audience for this thread will be small, but what the heck, right?  If you liked this outstanding hard rock band or want to know a bit more about them, this is the place.  It is no secret that I am a long-time fan, although my interest has waned. 

First, a bit of backstory:  This band started WAY back in 1974 and wasn't really a "hard rock" band at all at first.  Some of their big influences were Elvis, the Beatles, and David Bowie, and their original sound (when they weren't playing covers) was a pretty good mix of those bands.  But it wasn't long before they took the direction they are best known for.  They and another fledgling SF Bay Area band called "Journey" were the pet projects of a young manager named Herbie Herbert, who booked both bands in any venue he could to try to gain exposure.  When Journey began to take off, he eventually cast his lot with them, and the rest is history.  But Y&T continued to play everywhere they could, and built a hard core following, especially in California and overseas in Europe and Japan.  For some reason, they always seemed to fall just a hair short of making it huge in the U.S. despite being one of the most respected hard rock bands among fellow musicians.  They are much like King's X in that regard.  But the list of bands that were discovered opening for Y&T in Northern California and L.A. that went on to become huge is almost endless and includes, among others:  Van Halen, Motley Crue, and Metallica.

I did not discover this band until late 1984 or so.  I will get into the specifics later. 

The band has 12 studio albums, 4 live albums, 2 albums of previously unreleased tracks (sort of like Ytsejam releases, but were actually released through the label), and 4 compilation albums.  Y&T are one of those bands that are known for their live shows, and it comes through on their live releases, which often take the songs to another level.  For that reason, I will discuss the live albums in this thread.  I may also discuss the three Meniketti solo releases when I get there.  I'll see.  But at the very least, I plan to discuss the following:

Studio:
-Yesterday and Today (1976)
-Struck Down (1978)
-Earthshaker (1981)
-Black Tiger (1982)
-Mean Streak (1983)
-In Rock We Trust (1984)
-Down for the Count (1985)
-Contagious (1987)
-Ten (1990)
-Musically Incorrect (1995)
-Endangered Species (1997)
-Facemelter (2010)

Bonus:
-Unearthed, vol. I (2003)
-Unearthed, vol. II (2004)

Live:
-Open Fire (1985)
-Yesterday & Today, Live (1991)
-BBC in Concert: Live on the Friday Rock Show (2000)
-Live at the Mystic (2012)

I think I will go in reverse rank order (leading up to the "best") for studio albums, and include short interludes to discuss the bonus releases and live releases. 

So...here we go...

12.  Struck Down.  (1978)  This album is truly a microcosm of the kinds of things that dogged this band their entire career.  Coming off strong touring from their debut album, they had some strong ideas.  But they were still unfortunately stuck on a small label that did not get hard rock at all, and had no idea how to make a hard rock album or how to promote it.  So the band got stuck with a producer who had no idea.  When the band heard the final product after the final mix, they were shocked at how much their sound had been changed in post-production, and were outraged at the fact that the sound was changed without their permission, and the original, unaltered tapes destroyed.  This is one of the strangest sounding rock albums I have ever heard, and I am not alone in that assessment.  Still, there are some standout tracks, like the title song and Dreams of Egypt.

11.  Facemelter.  (2010)  Wow.  From the band's second album way back in 1978 to the band's most recent album in 2010 in one swoop?  Yeah.  This album had some strong moments.  "Prelude" and "On With the Show" are a great way to open the album, and are a nice tribute to late bass player Phil Kennemore.  The single, I'm Coming Home was pretty good, but felt a bit "Y&T by numbers," as much as I hate to use that description.  One of the bonus tracks, "Losing My Mind," may just be my favorite from the album.  I was pretty excited for the band's first studio release in 13 years, especially given that Dave Meniketti had released a couple of stellar solo albums in the interim, the band had been touring and had great energy, and the initial lead single was pretty good.  But overall, this album fell very flat for me, which is a shame.  It has some good moments for sure, but also fell very flat overall.  This is a band that very much had a pattern on their albums of having about 1/3 good songs, 1/3 okay songs, and 1/3 "filler" (although fans might disagree about which songs would be considered "filler").  Despite my rabid fandom, I never considered them a band that wrote albums that were incredibly strong from start to finish (although they have a couple that fit that description).  This album definitely falls into that category.  But unfortunately, the "good songs" don't reach very high, the "okay songs" don't really interest me much, and the "filler songs" are ones that I would rather avoid.  Some days, this might be #12 instead of #11.

10.  Yesterday and Today.  (1976)  Not sure if I will continue to go at a clip of 3 albums at a time, but I wanted to start the top 10.  Drawing heavily on their Beatles influence, the band was booked for a gig and did not have a name, so they hastily grabbed the name of one of their favorite Beatles albums, and it stuck.  (They wouldn't officially shorten it to "Y&T" until their third album, in response to fan chants of "Y&T!  Y&T!  Y&T!" at their shows)  And what better way to name your debut album than to have it self-titled, right?   At times, this album is rough.  REALLY rough.  But it does show some promise as well.  25 Hours A Day, a song that would show up later on their live album, Open Fire, is a fun little track.  My Heart Plays Too is perhaps the best ballad they have ever written (and that is saying a lot for a band that helped pioneer the "power ballad," and really were masters at writing those kinds of songs).  Earthshaker is an awesome little rocker.  Alcohol is goofy, and is made all the more goofy by Leonard Haze doing a rare lead vocal performance, but somehow works as a fun interlude.  And Beautiful Dreamer would become one of those very rarely played, but always in demand, fan favorites.  The lack of focus, the rawness, and the meager production values (because it was the '70s and because the budget was next to zero) keep this from ranking higher.

Trivia:  Before the two "Yesterday & Today" albums were re-released on CD in 2009 or so (that's what Wikipedia says, but I thought for sure it was earlier in the 2000's), they were LONG out of print and almost impossible to find.  It was the rarest of fans that had an 8-track, cassette, or vinyl of either of these two albums, and despite growing up in Y&T's backyard less than 10 miles from the place where they practiced, I didn't know any.  In the early '90s, a fellow Marine in my battalion claimed to have copies on cassette.  I offered him $100 each, but he never managed to procure them.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:19:33 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 80s metal/hard rock: Y&T Discography - My Life As a Y&T Fan
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 11:24:12 AM »
All I know is what you just wrote.

:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 11:33:11 AM »
BORING!

just kidding, this should be a fun read
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 11:35:56 AM »
Excellent! I'm an old school Y&T fan so I look forward to this trip down memory lane.

I have never heard the s/t, but I did have Struck Down on 8 track!!! Honestly, I don't remember a lot about it.

I was very curious about Facemelter and very much looked forward to listening to it. Got only one listen, and I thought it was embarrassingly bad. My impression was that some of the lyrics were so bad. Similar to a recent discussion in the KISS thread, I would say that in general sexual lyrics really don't appeal to me when they are sung by some geezer trying to act like a teenager. I felt embarrassed, really. But one listen is all I gave it, and that was my impression.

This is a band that very much had a pattern on their albums of having about 1/3 good songs, 1/3 okay songs, and 1/3 "filler" (although fans might disagree about which songs would be considered "filler"). 

This isn't unlike most bands. And to me, while I could never understand why they didn't catch on, ultimately their inconsistency probably held them back.

But great OP Bosk. I certainly don't want to be all negative right off the bat. I will have plenty of love to offer this thread!
:zydarscouch:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 11:36:22 AM »
I just added a short trivia note at the end of the post that you may find entertaining as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 11:43:03 AM »
I just added a short trivia note at the end of the post that you may find entertaining as well.

Well, now you know one guy that had an 8 track!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 11:45:44 AM »
Studio:
-Paranoid (1970)
-Struck Down (1978)
-Earthshaker (1981)
-Black Tiger (1982)
-Mean Streak (1983)
-In Rock We Trust (1984)
-Contagious (1987)
-Ten (1990)
-Facemelter (2010)

FTFY

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 11:52:25 AM »
I was very curious about Facemelter and very much looked forward to listening to it. Got only one listen, and I thought it was embarrassingly bad. My impression was that some of the lyrics were so bad. Similar to a recent discussion in the KISS thread, I would say that in general sexual lyrics really don't appeal to me when they are sung by some geezer trying to act like a teenager. I felt embarrassed, really. But one listen is all I gave it, and that was my impression.

Yeah, that's a big part of it.  The music itself was "good" to "average."  But combine that with a LOT of really bad lyrics along the lines of what you mentioned, and what felt like a (maybe understandable at this stage of their career?) lack of fire is what drag it down for me.

This is a band that very much had a pattern on their albums of having about 1/3 good songs, 1/3 okay songs, and 1/3 "filler" (although fans might disagree about which songs would be considered "filler"). 

This isn't unlike most bands.

Right.  I say that, not as a knock on them, but rather as an acknowledgement that they were typical of most other bands of the era in that regard.  To me, what made them truly stand out is that the strong tracks and even a lot of the middling tracks were a cut above most of their peers.  That, and what an unusually strong live band they were.  No frills, just an energy and musicianship that were rare.

And to me, while I could never understand why they didn't catch on, ultimately their inconsistency probably held them back.

That, and just an incredible streak of bad luck, IMO.  And the fact that they had no label support or promotion at all.  Take what happened with the recording of Mean Streak, for example.  Or the fact that, although Herbie had the connections and the drive to make them huge, he also lucked into nabbing Journey, and decided to go all-in with them and dump Y&T.  As far as the label stuff, that is a story in and of itself.  But some of the high points:
-They started with London for the first two albums.  London was a small label and had no idea.  When Herbie jumped ship, the band did not have the leverage or knowhow to get out of a bad label contract.  So despite building a large local following at the live shows, they floundered for the first 5 or so years of their existence, much like DT did prior to I&W.  The stories are remarkably similar.
-Then finally on to A&M.  Right after joining, A&M lost some key people.  A&M had some big acts, but none of them in the hard rock category.  A&M didn't really know what to do with a hard rock band or how to really promote them, which again led to a lot of missed opportunities, and the band was stuck on the sidelines watching some of their peers that previously opened for them pass them by, despite, in many cases, those peers not being of the same quality (e.g. Ratt).
-After YEARS of frustration, they were finally able to move over to Geffen for their 1987 Contagious album.  They had some personal assurances directly from David Geffen about what he was going to do for them.  They were excited.  Then come album/tour time, what they got was, "Um...we KNOW what we promised.  But funds are limited, and we had to put a LOT of resources behind Whitesnake because they are truly blowing up right now, so we can't do it this time around.  Just do your thing the best you can, tread water, and we promise we'll get you the huge package tour and all the promotion for the next one.  Promise!"  Next album rolls around, and..."Gee, um...hate to break it to you guys, but...well...the budget that we have for hair metal is pretty limited because, frankly, it's on the decline.  And we just had to dedicate a ton of money to pushing G&R, which we are still in the middle of.  Sorry, guys."  But more on that later...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 11:53:38 AM »
Well, now you know one guy that had an 8 track!

WHERE WERE YOU 25 YEARS AGO??  :)

Studio:
-Paranoid (1970)
-Struck Down (1978)
-Earthshaker (1981)
-Black Tiger (1982)
-Mean Streak (1983)
-In Rock We Trust (1984)
-Contagious (1987)
-Ten (1990)
-Facemelter (2010)

FTFY

:lol  ...but I don't get it.  ???

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 11:55:02 AM »
Not a Top 10 band for me or anything but I am definitely a fan.  A bit of a "compilation band" for me which fits in with the comments above about plenty of filler on most of their albums. 

I got into them around the release of Ten - songs like Surrender (featured on my first podcast I think), Red Hot n Ready and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark got plenty of airplay with me and then I worked my way back.   I don't think Contagious is quite as bad as most do (for the time) and I don't rate many of the "classic" 80's albums as high as most either , but their best work is fantastic.   Meniketti is a great performer and (if my impressions are right) a great bloke too.   I also enjoy some of his solo stuff .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 11:56:51 AM »
Meniketti is a great performer and (if my impressions are right) a great bloke too.   

Yeah, dead on in both respects.  But, IMO, only the second best singer of Mean Streak.  ;)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 11:59:13 AM »
:lol  ...but I don't get it.  ???

:lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoid_(album)#Track_listing

Ah, gotcha!  *lightbulb goes on*  That was a pretty roundabout reference.  Took me awhile to connect the dots.  :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 12:00:22 PM »
It may never be funny to anyone else, but for some reason, it will always amuse me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »
Well, it amused me at the time, as well as my buddy Steve who was there.  Add my other buddy Jack from Long Island, and that makes 4 of us.  I think it amused Dave as well, but that amusement was also I'm sure mixed with the uncomfortable feeling of, "Shoot, I have no idea whether this dude is joking or has no clue and might actually be serious."  ...which of course made it all the more amusing to the rest of us.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 12:04:33 PM »
But, IMO, only the second best singer of Mean Streak.  ;)

:lol...but I don't get it. ???

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 12:09:19 PM »

-After YEARS of frustration, they were finally able to move over to Geffen for their 1987 Contagious album.  They had some personal assurances directly from David Geffen about what he was going to do for them.  They were excited.  Then come album/tour time, what they got was, "Um...we KNOW what we promised.  But funds are limited, and we had to put a LOT of resources behind Whitesnake because they are truly blowing up right now, so we can't do it this time around.  Just do your thing the best you can, tread water, and we promise we'll get you the huge package tour and all the promotion for the next one.  Promise!"  Next album rolls around, and..."Gee, um...hate to break it to you guys, but...well...the budget that we have for hair metal is pretty limited because, frankly, it's on the decline.  And we just had to dedicate a ton of money to pushing G&R, which we are still in the middle of.  Sorry, guys."  But more on that later...

A&M was probably the worst label to be on in the early 80's. They had no clue!

The Geffen label became the hot label. Y&T was bound to get lost. But I saw the Contageous tour. They played theaters and here they headlined above Frehley's Comet and White Lion. It was actually a great bill, definitely enhanced by Ace's comeback.

They did have a great slot opening Motley Crue's Theatre Of Pain tour though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 12:10:33 PM »
I got into Y&T pretty early n my musical journey, prior to seeing them at Donington Monsters of Rock festival in 1984.
I always felt what held them back most was that they weren't good looking enough to catch the coat tails of the Bon Jovis and Motley Crues etc. And they went chasing success with the glam clothes and more commercial albums.

I've never heard the first two albums, just the songs they've played live from them, and am a bit scared to as it's likely that they won't hit the spot for me.

Face melter was let down by a dull production if memory serves, sounded flat and lifeless. Not played it since it came out. Will give it another go.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 12:23:43 PM »
The Geffen label became the hot label. Y&T was bound to get lost.

Yeah, that AND the fact that, as seemed to often happen to them, they were a step behind in getting there.  By getting to Geffen so late, they missed the wave they could have ridden if they had been on the label earlier.  It may not seem late, given that Geffen was still doing REALLY big things at the time.  But the lead-up takes awhile, so all the things that were visibly blowing up with Geffen behind them had been a few years in the making before Y&T got there.   Once they were onboard, as you said, Geffen was busy with "bigger" projects.

But I saw the Contageous tour. They played theaters and here they headlined above Frehley's Comet and White Lion. It was actually a great bill, definitely enhanced by Ace's comeback.

They did have a great slot opening Motley Crue's Theatre Of Pain tour though.

True.  Yeah, it's not like they got completely shafted at all.  But that was kinda the problem.  It's not like what Geffen did deviated so far from what was promised that they were actually in breach of anything.  But it fell short of what was promised and what it would have taken to push the band to bigger heights that they were expecting.  One example I vividly remember was seeing the promo add for Contagious prior to release.  Remember what those were back in the day before we had the Internet?  Other than seeing an album on the shelf at the local record store, the only way you knew an album was coming out was an ad in Hit Parader or Circus.  I remember the ad for Contagious was one of those little 1"x2" or so corner squares near the back of the magazine.  That didn't really register with me at the time.  But when I heard the story years later, the band was apparently informally promised one of those big 1/4-1/2 page ads near the front.  It's a small thing, but it's those kinds of small things that can accumulate to spell "NOT in the right place at the right time to blow up huge on the national scene."

But now I feel like I need to make a disclaimer:  If I come across as bitter because my personal pet band didn't make it, or as if I think there was a huge conspiracy, that's not what I am intending.  It's just that the band's "success" as measured by album and ticket sales is not commensurate with how their fellow musicians viewed them, and I think it is easy in retrospect to look back and see some specific things that indicate why they kept just missing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 12:33:31 PM »
Bosk, totally understood. I'm a huge UFO fan, and they had some similar issues. But they are also totally respected.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 12:36:10 PM »
This thread is doing well for one that was going to get little interest  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 01:04:02 PM »
I know I have some other pics of the show, but since I have Photobucket open, I'll post this Contageous era pic. I'm planning on going through my big bucket O' pics tomorrow.

September 10, 1987
Veteran's Memorial Auditorium
Providence, RI

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 01:18:41 PM »
My first exposure to Y&T was their track on this K-Tel album.  I liked the song, and ended up getting Black Tiger from Columbia House (or BMG), but it didn't really click for me.  Eventually I got Ten, which I loved, but for some reason I never followed up on that.  So, I'm interested in reading your take and seeing what I might try next.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 01:22:56 PM »
Nice pic, TAC!  :tup

My memory just clicked on the re-release of the debut album and Struck Down.  The 2009 re-release that is mentioned on Wikipedia was the second re-release, where the band offered them as a 2-disk set titled "One-Two" through their website.  Both albums had a limited re-release on CD in the early/mid-'90s.  I remember seeing them and them playing Dreams of Egypt and another song or two from those first couple of albums to commemorate the re-release.  I think it was the New Years Eve show in 1993, but it may have been when I saw them at the Keystone in Palo Alto a couple of years later, or some other show in between.  I just remember hearing the song for the first time live and thinking it was REALLY cool (I still think that).  I believe Dennis Erectus, who was a big hard rock radio icon from the '80s, introduced the songs and made an announcement about the re-release.  But, again, I saw them a few times during that time period, and the memory is blurring together with them also playing songs from Musically Incorrect, which contained a re-recording of the song I'm Lost from the Struck Down album.  I don't remember if those were the same show or different shows.  But anyhow, the point is that the band had FINALLY re-acquired the rights to the first two albums from the long-defunct London Records by the early/mid-'90s and were able to do a limited re-release of those albums on CD at that time.

My first exposure to Y&T was their track on this K-Tel album.  I liked the song, and ended up getting Black Tiger from Columbia House (or BMG), but it didn't really click for me.  Eventually I got Ten, which I loved, but for some reason I never followed up on that.  So, I'm interested in reading your take and seeing what I might try next.

Nice!  I remember that compilation.  I never bought it, but I remember it.  I liked about 1/3 of the songs (the Y&T song and the songs from Scorpions, Dio, Quiet Riot, and Sabbath), and I had those albums, so I never really wanted to fork over the cash for this.  That is about the same time I actually first got into Y&T.  But I'll save that story for a bit later in the thread...

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 01:23:25 PM »
It looks like they were also on the this K-Tel compilation, which I owned as well. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 01:29:39 PM »
@TAC:  Um...no comment.  :lol  (I am, however, familiar with that St. Pauli Girl poster.  Well, not that specific one on the wall behind you, but...you know what I mean.)

It looks like they were also on the this K-Tel compilation, which I owned as well. 
In contrast to what I posted about the other one, I had no idea this one even existed.  :lol  (some good tracks on it though)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 01:33:33 PM »
@TAC:  Um...no comment.  :lol  (I am, however, familiar with that St. Pauli Girl poster.  Well, not that specific one on the wall behind you, but...you know what I mean.)

THAT's NOT ME!! >:(

(It's Kingshmegland!)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 01:34:05 PM »
Big fan of Y&T here!  To me, they have just a defining sound for 80s rock/metal.

I actually have never heard their debut and Struck Down, but the triple threat of Earthshaker, Black Tiger and Mean Streak is as good as it gets with hard rock.

Whenever I hear the song Mean Streak, that song is stuck in my head for hours and hours.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 01:43:38 PM »
Nice!  I remember that compilation.  I never bought it, but I remember it.  I liked about 1/3 of the songs (the Y&T song and the songs from Scorpions, Dio, Quiet Riot, and Sabbath), and I had those albums, so I never really wanted to fork over the cash for this.  That is about the same time I actually first got into Y&T.  But I'll save that story for a bit later in the thread...

I was just getting into metal in 1984, so those K-Tel albums were a way for me to sample different groups.  I'm not sure I would have ever even heard of Zebra or Triumph without them.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 01:50:14 PM »

(It's Kingshmegland!)

Yeah, Tim's not that hot looking. :lol

bosk1 I've seem Y&T twice in the 80's.  Loved their live show, never really bought much of them.  I will follow to learn more about them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2016, 01:53:10 PM »

(It's Kingshmegland!)

Yeah, Tim's not that hot looking. :lol

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Nobody is!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 02:51:31 PM »
  Dennis Erectus

Why is Paul Di'Anno pulling out his ween? 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2016, 02:52:42 PM »
Because he can.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2016, 02:58:47 PM »
There's that '2nd level' of band - Zebra, Y&T, Triumph, there are a couple more - that I dabbled in but never really sunk into (except Zebra, and that was later).   

My brother was a big Y&T fan, though, and I've always liked Dave Meniketti (though I always thought he was a bigger guy than that photo suggests... like Leslie West almost, or Warren Haynes).