Author Topic: Vegan attempts to climb highest soapbox to say "I'm a vegan!", fails  (Read 4515 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Vegan attempts to climb highest soapbox to say "I'm a vegan!", fails
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2016, 08:54:17 AM »
I wish they closed off Mt Everest, seriously. It's such a gimmicky fad at this point.
I bet those who have successfully climbed it would beg to differ.

:lol

Well, I don't think they should close it.  :lol  I'm not sure what that would accomplish.

It'd stop this shit.

Entitled narcissistic richies having zero regard for something that doesn't affect them? I shan't hear of such fibbery!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2016, 09:57:09 AM »
I wish they closed off Mt Everest, seriously. It's such a gimmicky fad at this point.

Well, I don't think they should close it.  :lol  I'm not sure what that would accomplish.

It'd stop this shit.

That is appalling.

It seems I remember reading about either the Indian Army or Nepalese Army attempting a clean up either last season or the season before; and I know that at least the Nepalese Tourism Permits now carry a requirement that climbers/trekkers carry out a specific poundage of trash/refuse.  I think the clean up may even extend to the upper camps as well.  It needs to be done, but I cannot imagine carrying my own equipment (probably 15-20 lbs) up those routes in addition to refuse in 1/3 to 1/2 the atmosphere at sea level.

The trash should have been taken out each year after the season by the climbers/outfitters.  At least the Nepalese require that now to some degree.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2016, 10:16:54 AM »
 :facepalm:

I wouldn't deep fry any body parts, but I also would never attempt to climb a mountain that high. I nearly had a panic attack getting out of my car and hanging out Loveland Pass because I couldn't breathe. And that's only like 12,000 feet.
I considered climbing a 14er this year but am nervous about it for that reason.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2016, 12:03:23 PM »

It'd stop this shit.

If we were to close things because people left copious amounts of garbage behind, we'd be closing a lot more than Mt. Everest. Ever walk through the stands after a concert or a ball game? Shit, it's nasty. Spilled beer and soda all over the seats, people's peanut shells everywhere, soda bottles, food packages, beer bottles, etc.  People just need to stop being slobs which is clearly not going to happen.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2016, 12:09:38 PM »

It'd stop this shit.

*snip*

If we were to close things because people left copious amounts of garbage behind, we'd be closing a lot more than Mt. Everest. Ever walk through the stands after a concert or a ball game? Shit, it's nasty. Spilled beer and soda all over the seats, people's peanut shells everywhere, soda bottles, food packages, beer bottles, etc.  People just need to stop being slobs which is clearly not going to happen.

Except there are entire crews dedicating to making that stadium spotless by the next day... Can't really compare the two.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2016, 12:12:17 PM »
If it actually costs $50K to do this and literally lasts two months, then I'd imagine it probably couldn't cost more than $1000 worth of labor to pick up each person's trash so they're fucking stupid for letting foreigners come into their country and letting them treat their most prized landmark like a damn garbage can when they could easily prevent this with a nearly unnoticeably small hike in the rates.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2016, 12:18:31 PM »

It'd stop this shit.

*snip*

Except there are entire crews dedicating to making that stadium spotless by the next day... Can't really compare the two.

So then get people to clean up once a week or so. It still doesn't seem like a logical reason to close it down.

Okay, here's another example that no one does anything about. Walk through subway tunnels. It's filthy and some areas reek of death. Nobody does anything to clean it up because nobody is assigned to do so often enough. The litter causes track fires every year (over 600 in 2015), so at least in that instance the garbage causes something dangerous, yet the subway isn't closed down and the garbage still accumulates.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2016, 12:37:46 PM »

It'd stop this shit.

*snip*

That isn't the point.  The point is that people are slobs in general, and that in and of itself isn't necessarily a reason to close something down.  The point isn't that people are slobs but it might be okay if there is someone to clean up after them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2016, 12:57:51 PM »
The Nepalese should just build a fucking elevator to the top and charge rich knuckleheads 100k per pop.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2016, 01:45:49 PM »
The Nepalese should just build a fucking elevator to the top and charge rich knuckleheads 100k per pop.

$100K per pop is probably on the horizon (minus the elevator of course); the amount you spend varies depending on which outfitter you choose.

For example, HIMEX charges roughly $70K (over 71-days); but we're talking about the whole shebang... internet communication (I'm fairly sure), a TV tent with books, dvds, ect (a VERY large tent), hot towels and hot tea every morning when you wake.  Basically as many creature-comforts as they can haul up the trek from Kat; this is in addition to all meals, medical monitoring and treatment, and technical climbing equipment provided by HIMEX (not to mention Sherpa fixing ropes up the entire southern route and ladders at the ice-fall).  This is Russell Brice's outfit... if you're going to do it, do it right!

Closing the mountain entirely would be a death knell for the Nepalese economy, and would likely cause a severe strain to the Indian economy as well.  It should be cleaned up by all means... maybe organize some sort of clean up expedition at a reduced rate and offer the experience of being at Base Camp AND helping out the mountain and the industry.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2016, 01:52:40 PM »
I never said I think Everest should be closed because of trash. I said if Everest were to be closed, the trash piling up would stop.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2016, 02:02:04 PM »

$100K per pop is probably on the horizon (minus the elevator of course); the amount you spend varies depending on which outfitter you choose.

For example, HIMEX charges roughly $70K (over 71-days); but we're talking about the whole shebang... internet communication (I'm fairly sure), a TV tent with books, dvds, ect (a VERY large tent), hot towels and hot tea every morning when you wake.  Basically as many creature-comforts as they can haul up the trek from Kat; this is in addition to all meals, medical monitoring and treatment, and technical climbing equipment provided by HIMEX (not to mention Sherpa fixing ropes up the entire southern route and ladders at the ice-fall).  This is Russell Brice's outfit... if you're going to do it, do it right!

Closing the mountain entirely would be a death knell for the Nepalese economy, and would likely cause a severe strain to the Indian economy as well.  It should be cleaned up by all means... maybe organize some sort of clean up expedition at a reduced rate and offer the experience of being at Base Camp AND helping out the mountain and the industry.
For an extra 10k you can probably have the sherpas carry you up while you sleep each night. I mean, why should climbing Everest by difficult?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2016, 02:03:44 PM »
It's sad that a person died. It's equally sad that this person felt the need to do something ridiculously stupid for the sake of proving a point. Also cackling at the quotes in the article saying..."she wasn't a risk taker"....SHE CLIMBS FUCKING MOUNTAINS... I'm not saying mountain climbers/cave divers/etc. are stupid/wrong, but if you're going to say that isn't risk taking...because make no mistake, it is totally unnecessary (as are most things humans do in their off time), you're a deluded kumquat (THAT'S RIGHT). I'm sure people have done the climb for an innumerable amount of reasons, but I feel pretty safe in saying that this is the most asinine, illogical and all around head-crushingly-face-palm-y reason of them all.

Even on this forum, which is almost anti-internet at this point (I mean that in regards to the usual forums and a lot of the digital denizens of those cases such as "it which shall not be named" that more or less egg on people to commit suicide, throw memes at problems, etc. to infinity and beyond), there's a pretty big tongue-in-cheek aspect (and I do have to clap at the thread title simply because...well, that's what she was doing). Fact of the matter is that the social obsession surrounding people who are vegan and the equally absurd social atmosphere of those that are so against it that there are actual groups related to it... is all pretty fucking pathetic.

This idea that people should give any amount of shits what someone eats is preposterous. I don't give a shit if you're vegan. I don't give a shit if you only eat baby rabbits. I don't give a shit if the only thing you eat is recycled cardboard because it's the only way to become one with Mother Earth...or something. People socializing and getting caught up in drama bullshit is kind of what people do...but when you're so caught up in it that you climb a fucking mountain to prove a point and die...you gotta wonder what the fuck is wrong with a good sect of society. On both sides.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2016, 02:20:57 PM »
:clap:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2016, 04:28:17 PM »
Goddammit.

Edit- that was for the trashpile, not for Tio's post. Stupid page breaks.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2016, 07:20:02 AM »
Eh. Most people would get altitude sickness on Mount Everest, regardless of diet.
Sure, vegans can be hella annoying about their diet but I sort of agree with the point she was trying to make here- there are tons of ways to get iron and protein without being a carnivore, but people love to hate on that lifestyle. Frankly, just as annoying as vegans are people who rip on them and try to prove a point by eating meat at every meal because Amuricuh.

No, people (at least THIS people) hate on the preachiness and activism.   One's right to eat - or not - meat is totally awesome up to the point it begins to infringe on MY right to make the same decision.  It's the same with religion:  worship whoever the hell you want - God, Satan, Eric Clapton - but stay well clear of what, who, or how I worship.   

No offense, but climbing Mt. Everest to make a point about veganism is exactly the same - EXACTLY - as eating meat at every meal because Amuricah.  (And no, I'm not mocking your words; just making a comparison.  I'm not really disagreeing with you, actually.  I don't like meat activists either.)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2016, 07:22:10 AM »

Sorry, couldn't help it.  :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2016, 07:28:47 AM »
My eldest daughter identifies as a "meatatarian."  She is not a fan of the veggies, other than things like potatoes and corn.

If it's not a starch, she wants no part of it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2016, 10:42:50 AM »
She should build her own survival living quarters and call it The Starchy Bunker.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2016, 10:44:42 AM »
You are such a meathead.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2016, 10:49:10 AM »
Ron Swanson said it best, salad is the food that my food eats.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2016, 12:26:33 PM »

Using a dead vegan who tried to climb Everest (albeit stubbornly and only to make a stupid point) as an segue into making fun of vegans as a whole is just as irritating as preachy vegans. I've met dozens of irritating vegans whom I hope to never meat again--the last thing I need or want is a reminder.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2016, 12:28:42 PM »
I've met dozens of irritating vegans whom I hope to never meat again--the last thing I need or want is a reminder.

:tup  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2016, 12:35:09 PM »
Sorry, but :rollin

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2016, 12:37:27 PM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2016, 12:38:06 PM »
Well we know what's on the brain. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2016, 06:47:46 AM »
How do life insurance companies deal with someone's death if it's doing something like this? Are they still on the hook?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2016, 07:02:44 AM »
Depends on the policy.  Certainly, you are aware of clauses in celebrity policies (including athletes).    Tom Brady probably doesn't collect on a sky-diving death, simply because of his underlying contract likely forbids it (or activities like it, even if I picked a bad example).  You can get specific coverage FOR it, but you would likely have to pay additional for it.   

I will look at mine, but I would guess mine does not cover a death at the last base camp of Everest.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2016, 11:18:34 AM »
Using a dead vegan who tried to climb Everest (albeit stubbornly and only to make a stupid point) as an segue into making fun of vegans as a whole is just as irritating as preachy vegans. I've met dozens of irritating vegans whom I hope to never meat again--the last thing I need or want is a reminder.

Agreed. We could laugh at meat-eating hunter who had his arm torn off by the very animal he was hunting and it would be just as pointless to try and prove something with it. At the end of the day it means nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's like the women who live vicariously though the "Real Housewives".

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2016, 01:07:26 PM »
:facepalm:

I wouldn't deep fry any body parts, but I also would never attempt to climb a mountain that high. I nearly had a panic attack getting out of my car and hanging out Loveland Pass because I couldn't breathe. And that's only like 12,000 feet.
I considered climbing a 14er this year but am nervous about it for that reason.

If a flatlander like me can handle summiting a 14'ner you shouldn't have any issues at all.   :biggrin:    Try Pike's Peak.  There's a trail there that begins a little more than half way up to the summit that we've taken a couple of times.  Really a nice hike.  You go through some incredible fields of wildflowers in the beginning, then pretty soon you're above treeline and if it's a clear day the views are incredible, especially when you get to The Devil's Playground section of the hike.  HIGHLY recommended.

Our favorite hike, though, is McCullough Gulch.  The trail ends far below 14k but the views on this hike are some of the best in the entire state.  And it's doable from the trailhead to the summit and back in way less than a day.  We're both in our 50's and we did the whole hike in just over 6 hours.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2016, 01:38:16 PM »
On the topic of vegetarian diets, I'm a pretty liberal guy and I don't really care if someone wants to try to subsist on a diet consisting only of fruit and vegetables.  Generally, I get my health advice from my doctor who told me in no uncertain terms that human beings are omnivores.  It is possible to survive on a meatless diet, but it's not natural and must be supplemented with proteins at the very least.

I got this from Google and I think it puts veganism in the proper perspective:

Quote from: Google.com
Humans are classic examples of omnivores in all relevant anatomical traits. There is no basis in anatomy or physiology for the assumption that humans are pre-adapted to the vegetarian diet. For that reason, the best arguments in support of a meat-free diet remain ecological, ethical, and health concerns.

As I have aged I've developed less of a taste for meat.  That is only exacerbated by the massive scale of suffering and agony inflicted upon otherwise innocent animals that only want to live out their lives as we do.   As an animal lover I don't like to think about where that hamburger or steak came from and I know it's blatantly hypocritical to say I'm an animal lover in one breath then say I love steak and hamburgers in the next.

It is an ethical dilemma that I've struggled with many times.  I've even gone long periods of time -3+ years at one point in my 40's- without eating any meat.  Back then, when asked why I was abstaining I would usually cite my ethical problem with animal cruelty in the slaughterhouses and on non-dairy cattle farms where they raise cattle for slaughter.  I have seen the suffering first-hand having supplied day laborers to a slaughterhouse in Turlock, CA back in the 90's when I lived in Modesto, CA.  To this day I still have not seen that level of suffering anywhere.  It was around that time that I started to consider giving up meat. 

If it were not for the fact that my doctor strongly cautioned me not to do it I'd probably be a vegetarian today.  Red meat he said I could do without, but he advised that I keep seafood and chicken in my diet otherwise I'd probably need some kind of supplements and I already take so many fucking pills every day I sound like a baby rattle when I move  :facepalm:

edited to correct spelling  :blush
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 01:19:10 PM by kirksnosehair »

• DT.net Member
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2016, 05:09:44 PM »
Enjoyable post^^^

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2016, 05:59:42 PM »
Agreed! We are omnivores, but a (decent) vegetarian diet is arguably better for you than many, many diets. Like people who only eat meat and potatoes, or whatever. I also remember learning in school at some point that ancestry may play a role in how much meat you eat. Some ancient people were mostly foragers and didn't really have any meat in their diets, etc. But I can't remember the source nor do I have time to look it up :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2016, 07:15:54 PM »
Agreed! We are omnivores, but a (decent) vegetarian diet is arguably better for you than many, many diets. Like people who only eat meat and potatoes, or whatever. I also remember learning in school at some point that ancestry may play a role in how much meat you eat. Some ancient people were mostly foragers and didn't really have any meat in their diets, etc. But I can't remember the source nor do I have time to look it up :lol

There are random studies done about societies thriving on meat-free diets. Like you mentioned, genetics have a major role in diet and longevity.

When people say everybody needs meat for an optimal diet, they're clearly uneducated on the subject. Even though we're all humans and require certain micro and macronutrients, how our body uses and processes what we take in is different from person to person.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2016, 07:21:53 PM »
When people say everybody needs meat for an optimal diet, they're clearly uneducated on the subject.

And also needing meat doesn't mean that you have to eat a steak as large as your plate at every meal. I don't remember exactly how much it is, but you don't really need to eat that much meat to get all the nutrients you need.