Author Topic: Vegan attempts to climb highest soapbox to say "I'm a vegan!", fails  (Read 4521 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
In an attempt to climb to the top of Mt. Everest to show the world what vegans can do, vegan doctor Maria Strydom dies of altitude sickness:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/23/maria-strydom-dies-on-mount-everest-tackled-trek-t/

Being vegan, it's possible she was at increased risk for anemia, and since Everest is risky to begin with, she should have had much greater contingency plans in place.  If you decide to tackle Everest, you should go into it assuming you won't make it out alive, even in the best of health.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
and you should probably take a packet of beef jerky
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Three other non-vegans have also died this week in the same spot.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
:clap: at the thread title.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Three other non-vegans have also died this week in the same spot.

This is true, but when you purposely put yourself at a potentially greater risk for limiting the amount of oxygen your blood can carry, maybe you shouldn't be trying to climb the tallest mountain in the world.  It's certainly possible that this wasn't an issue for her, admittedly, but it's something I would certainly consider, if it were me.  But as noted, you climb Everest, you should consider that you will very possibly not make it out alive.  I would never even consider it.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Eh. Most people would get altitude sickness on Mount Everest, regardless of diet.
Sure, vegans can be hella annoying about their diet but I sort of agree with the point she was trying to make here- there are tons of ways to get iron and protein without being a carnivore, but people love to hate on that lifestyle. Frankly, just as annoying as vegans are people who rip on them and try to prove a point by eating meat at every meal because Amuricuh.

She climbed Denali and Kilimanjaro, for fucks sake. It's not like she was an amateur.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
An experienced mountain climber, for sure, but the likelihood that they'll kill anyone is significantly lower than Everest, I'd imagine.

I just can't imagine what goes through someone's mind that makes them think "LOTS of people die trying to climb this ridiculously inhospitable mountain, because the human body really isn't greatly equipped to handle that kind of atmosphere, but it's here and I have some mountain boots, so fuck it, let's go!"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Sure, vegans can be hella annoying about their diet but . . . Frankly, just as annoying as vegans are people who rip on them and try to prove a point by eating meat at every meal because Amuricuh.

I mostly tend to agree.  Except that you kinda did the same thing at the end by tossing out the "Amuricuh" barb at the end, which I find just as annoying as either of the two other scenarios too. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
Sure, vegans can be hella annoying about their diet but . . . Frankly, just as annoying as vegans are people who rip on them and try to prove a point by eating meat at every meal because Amuricuh.

I mostly tend to agree.  Except that you kinda did the same thing at the end by tossing out the "Amuricuh" barb at the end, which I find just as annoying as either of the two other scenarios too.

Me too. It's spelled 'Murica.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
How sad.

What he said I also agree. It's people get on a soapbox and become annoying. It's like good for you, now let me be. Its how I feel about the Trans issue, and overly proud gay people.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: Vegan attempts to climb highest soapbox to say "I'm a vegan!", fails
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 10:38:23 AM »

Me too. It's spelled 'Murica.

:lol

I said that, bosk, because people have said almost that exact thing to me. So I'm not sure how it's the same.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 10:43:35 AM »
Everest is somewhat of a hobby for me... a personal goal to trek to base camp (not necessarily climb; though I suppose I would attempt it if the offer was made to me). 

Cerebral edema is actually somewhat rare (the rarity diminishes though as one moves above 4,000 meters) and quite preventable by acclimatizing correctly; I've yet to read any information regarding her and her husband's acclimatization for the climb, though they were experienced mountaineers so I feel sure they attempted to acclimatize as well as possible.  Two of the other deaths were in the same climbing group as Strydom and her husband (who is expected to be OK physically); perhaps the acclimatization techniques for this particular outfitter didn't work to the fullest for these particular climbers.  Everybody is different, requiring different levels and speeds of acclimatization; I think the trick is being able to identify what is working and what isn't.  Regardless of acclimatization though, some people's systems simply cannot handle the atmosphere (or lack of it) at that extreme altitude.

There's also been a Sherpa die this year (fell whilst fixing rope 150 meters below the summit) and last I read, there is still an ongoing search for two lost climbers.

Strydom was quoted by her family as saying that she didn't take risks (other than calculated risks I guess); I'll assume that the symptoms came on very suddenly or that she tried to fight the symptoms off between camp three and four.  Believe it or not, Everest is a calculated risk; something like 300+ have safely reached the summit this season (though frostbite has been a big problem this season).

Vegan is vegan I guess; nothing wrong with a whole foods plant based diet (could throw some meat in there a few times a week; that's how my wife and I do it).  I applaud her and her husband for attempting the seven summits and attempting Everest; I just wonder if her husband feels that the calculated risk was worth it.  Once you're there, nose-to-nose with that beautiful pile of snow/ice covered rock, and in the midst of the climb, all that vegan-this vegan-that likely goes out the window and you simply want to survive as your body begins to cannibalize itself.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 10:44:59 AM »
I'd rather dip my dick in a deep fryer than attempt to climb Mt. Everest.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 10:48:46 AM »
I'll just avoid both, thanks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 10:58:42 AM »

:lol  That's one way to put it...

I'd trek to Base Camp (REI does it right in my opinion), but to actually climb it would be a different story.  After reading Krakauer's book and reading a lot of his recent quotes about his time at Everest, mainly saying that he wishes he'd never gone to the mountain and it was the "worst mistake of his life" (and that coming from a serious climber who has done some crazy climbs), I would seriously question climbing it.  I'd love to rub noses with it, but I don't know if I'd attempt it.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 11:23:52 AM »
I know for certain I would not attempt it.  But the trek to base camp would be awesome.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 11:26:23 AM »
It just sounds like an absolutely miserable way to spend 2 months. Miserable. And you spend 50k and risk your life to maybe be one of these people waiting in line to spend a couple of minutes at the summit, which might not even happen due to time constraints.

Don't get me wrong, I'd certainly do it before deep-frying my Johnson, but it really would be one of the last things I'd ever want to undertake.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 11:27:38 AM »

:lol  That's one way to put it...

I'd trek to Base Camp (REI does it right in my opinion), but to actually climb it would be a different story.  After reading Krakauer's book and reading a lot of his recent quotes about his time at Everest, mainly saying that he wishes he'd never gone to the mountain and it was the "worst mistake of his life" (and that coming from a serious climber who has done some crazy climbs), I would seriously question climbing it.  I'd love to rub noses with it, but I don't know if I'd attempt it.
I read that book for high school English class. Quite a read. Definitely an experience I would never want to go through.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 11:31:05 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I'd certainly do it before deep-frying my Johnson...

Maybe not quite POTY-worthy, but :rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 11:32:56 AM »
Unless the batter you use is Vegan, El Barto.

*Mind blown*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 12:16:38 PM »
An atheist, a vegan, and a crossfitter walk into a bar.  I only know because they told everyone within two minutes.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 12:28:34 PM »
An atheist, a vegan, and a crossfitter walk into a bar.  I only know because I saw it on Facebook.

FTFY
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 01:30:28 PM »
Some people call this "evolution"  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 02:09:57 PM »
An atheist, a vegan, and a crossfitter walk into a bar.  I only know because they told everyone within two minutes.
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 03:46:08 PM »
Some people call this "evolution"  :lol

No they call it " Everest "...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 04:08:58 PM »
THIS IS VEGAN SPARTA!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 05:53:25 PM »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 07:40:09 PM »
I wish they closed off Mt Everest, seriously. It's such a gimmicky fad at this point.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 08:27:40 PM »
Having dipped other parts of my anatomy in a deep fryer (fingers), trust me guys, try Everest first. That shit is hot.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 08:32:26 PM »
I wish they closed off Mt Everest, seriously. It's such a gimmicky fad at this point.
I bet those who have successfully climbed it would beg to differ.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2016, 12:20:35 AM »
This thread giving me the urge for a big juicy t-bone!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2016, 04:47:06 AM »
This thread giving me the urge for a big juicy t-bone!

All that dong frying talk, amirite?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2016, 05:23:25 AM »

Well, I don't think they should close it.  :lol  I'm not sure what that would accomplish.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2016, 06:02:28 AM »

Well, I don't think they should close it.  :lol  I'm not sure what that would accomplish.

It'd stop this shit.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2016, 08:28:54 AM »
Now that's a valid reason to close it.
Listen! Do you smell something?