Author Topic: Nick Menza passed away  (Read 5235 times)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Re: Nick Menza passed away
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2016, 09:26:11 AM »
That's cool.  But...that seems like an odd choice of a song to dedicate to a fallen comrade.
I would've at least picked a song Nick played on.

Trust was off Cryptic Writings - I believe Nick was still with them at that point.

It is a weird choice, but I suppose they were looking for something where the drums were prominent.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2016, 09:30:09 AM »
Didn't he play on that album?  But still, unless he had some connection to that song that I am not aware of, it seems like an odd choice, especially lyrically.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2016, 09:49:25 AM »
Didn't he play on that album?  But still, unless he had some connection to that song that I am not aware of, it seems like an odd choice, especially lyrically.
That album was Jimmy DeGrasso.  It was the first album without Menza.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »
Nick playted on RIP, Cryptic Writings, Youthanasia and Countdown.

Trust is off Cryptic Writings so yes he was with them at that point.

I thought bosk was making the point that the song doesn't really have anything to do with death or anything related, lyrically. So it wouldn't  even matter what drummer played on it.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2016, 10:04:31 AM »
Nick playted on RIP, Cryptic Writings, Youthanasia and Countdown.
That's what I thought.  I knew Jimmy did not come onboard at that point, but cfmoran13 was making me doubt whether it was Nick or if they had a guest drummer do some of the Cryptic Writings tracks.

I thought bosk was making the point that the song doesn't really have anything to do with death or anything related, lyrically. So it wouldn't  even matter what drummer played on it.
Well, yes.  But not only does it not have to do with death, but it is about being in a relationship that is undermined by lack of trust and by cheating.  I'm not sure how you would dedicate that to a deceased bandmate.  Unless Nick had some special connection to that song, or was going through relationship issues at the time, or something.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2016, 10:08:29 AM »
Maybe it's because that's how Dave feels about him and Nicks relationship. Made it have a different meaning, because Dave feels bad he never got back to playing with him.

But yeah, that song is drum heavy and seemed like a good choice.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2016, 10:24:37 AM »
Oops.  My bad!  I forgot that Jimmy came in for the touring of Cryptic Writings but wasn't on the album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2016, 10:31:24 AM »
No worries.  I was just confused. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2016, 05:49:11 AM »
I personally think Trust was already in the set list, and Dave decided to dedicate a song from the already constructed set to Nick. He probably went with it because Nick performed on it and it has a drum intro. And who knows, maybe it was one of Nick's favorites.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2016, 11:18:53 AM »
That's sad.

Also, man two drummers dead from heart attack. That makes this even sadder
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD