Author Topic: Help me fill in the blanks with DTF bands I'm missing  (Read 7148 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Help me fill in the blanks with DTF bands I'm missing
« on: May 20, 2016, 01:28:14 PM »
So I joined DTF about 2 years ago I think and it has been a great source of amazing new bands for which I will be eternally grateful.

I know there are a shit ton more out there that I will love given the chance and I need you guys to help me fill in the blanks. A quick overview on my tastes.

I obviously have a love for progressive metal but I also love alot of the other subgenres of metal:

Black metal (although not a great deal, Dimmu Borgir is an example of the style I like)
Death metal (mainly old school bands like Death, Obituary bit of Cannibal Corpse etc)
Doom/sludge metal (particularly stuff like Crowbar, Electric Wizard, Trouble)
Power metal (love stuff by Angra, Hammerfall, Manowar, Sonata Arctica)
Thrash metal (Big 4, along with a lot of other newer and older stuff)

I also love punk, ska, video game music, classic rock, some folk, reggae and trip-hop.

In terms of progressive metal, I was into the following bands before joining DTF:

Baroness
Coheed and Cambria
Cynic
Dream Theater (obviously)
Gojira
Mastodon
Opeth
Protest the Hero

Since joining I have discovered a fair amount of bands but these are the main ones I've listened to a good chunk of or all of their music:

Agalloch
Animals as Leaders
Ayreon
Between the Buried and Me
The Dear Hunter
Devin Townsend
Enslaved
Haken
Ihsahn
John Petrucci
Leprous
Liquid Tension Experiment
Mandroid Echostar
The Mars Volta
Meshuggah
Myrath
Native Construct
Ne Obliviscaris
The Ocean (literally only started to listen to them today)
Periphery
Pink Floyd
Pomegranate Tiger
Porcupine Tree
Riverside
Sikth
Star One
Tesseract
Thank you, Scientist
Yes

So help me out with the glaring omissions in my music library. If you have any artists to recommend then suggest their best album and if I like them I'll be sure to get the discography.

Annnnnnnnd go..........

Edit: Also, just to be clear I also have a huge amount of music I just consider 'metal'. I'm not really looking for any recommendations for straight up metal bands as I feel I have all I need to satisfy me (which is why I listen to a lot of progressive metal nowadays). Just needed to make that clear.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:33:13 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: Help me fill in the blanks DTF bands I'm missing
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:32:07 PM »
This is why you should have a roulette ;)

I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 01:32:55 PM »
I'd definitely recommend Moonsorrow, some of the most epic metal that I know while avoiding being cheesy completely. Their newest is definitely one of my favourite albums of 2016, and it goes by the title of Jumalten aika (though skip this band is Finnish lyrics bother you).

Another one of my favourites is Wilderun, some more really solid folky black metal, but I only have their 2015 album (which, however, is fantastic).

And, completely outside of metal, I'd recommend Portishead (Dummy) and Thrice (well, mostly non-metal, as I mostly dig their later stuff, when they've mellowed out a little - The Alchemy Index comes recommended)
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 01:35:37 PM »
I know, I did think as I was writing this, 'this could just end up being a low maintenance roulette'  :lol

I do want to host a roulette soon but want to make sure I have enough time to commit to it properly. I'd hate to get stuck in then put it on hold for 'real' life.

Just hoped you guys could help me out with glaring omissions at a glance.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »
The Metal Genres, I can't really help you since I do enjoy power metal but you already have my favorites listed. I don't listen to a lot of the other metal.

Video Game Music: Check out the album Solid State Survivor by Yellow Magic Orchestra. It's from 1979, and it's not really like TODAY's video game music, but like old school quirky electronic type video game music. I love that album. Their first album also has a song on it called "Computer game" that uses old video game sounds on it.

Classic Rock, can you list a few bands? That genre is HUGELY broad.

Folk, check out America as well as Crosby Stills and Nash and Mamas and the Papas.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 01:36:38 PM »
And if you like Animals as Leaders, check out Scale the Summit.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 01:37:34 PM »
east of the wall :neverusethis:

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 01:42:09 PM »
I'd definitely recommend Moonsorrow, some of the most epic metal that I know while avoiding being cheesy completely. Their newest is definitely one of my favourite albums of 2016, and it goes by the title of Jumalten aika (though skip this band is Finnish lyrics bother you).

Another one of my favourites is Wilderun, some more really solid folky black metal, but I only have their 2015 album (which, however, is fantastic).

And, completely outside of metal, I'd recommend Portishead (Dummy) and Thrice (well, mostly non-metal, as I mostly dig their later stuff, when they've mellowed out a little - The Alchemy Index comes recommended)

Cheers dude, I'll give Moonsorrow a go, pretty sure I heard something of theirs years ago. Wilderun could be up my street.

I already have that album by Portishead and their self titled, also Massive Attack (as a guide to what I already own). Thrice are pretty much a band I see here mentioned a lot that I think "I know I will like these", think a friend lent me an album or two about 8 years ago and I didn't think much of it, however my tastes have changed a lot so i will DEFINITELY check them out (not 100% sure why I haven't already  ???)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 01:42:27 PM »
I know, I did think as I was writing this, 'this could just end up being a low maintenance roulette'  :lol

I do want to host a roulette soon but want to make sure I have enough time to commit to it properly. I'd hate to get stuck in then put it on hold for 'real' life.
You can sign up and put it on hold whenever you want, the 'regulars' seem to mostly have done their roulettes not too long ago and it's starting to dry up. There's no harm in putting it on hold as long as you want and hosting a roulette is honestly the most fun way of discovering music I could imagine.

As for bands, have you tried Children of Bodom? I haven't listened to them for quite a while but I remember really digging Are You Dead Yet? and Hate Crew Deathroll and some songs off Blooddrunk.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 01:48:38 PM »
The Metal Genres, I can't really help you since I do enjoy power metal but you already have my favorites listed. I don't listen to a lot of the other metal.

Video Game Music: Check out the album Solid State Survivor by Yellow Magic Orchestra. It's from 1979, and it's not really like TODAY's video game music, but like old school quirky electronic type video game music. I love that album. Their first album also has a song on it called "Computer game" that uses old video game sounds on it.

Classic Rock, can you list a few bands? That genre is HUGELY broad.

Folk, check out America as well as Crosby Stills and Nash and Mamas and the Papas.

Cheers dude, my Power metal collection is fairly limited and I'm hoping to explore a bit more as there is obviously a huge cross over between Power/Progressive metal.

With Classic Rock I love stuff like The Beatles, Cream, The Doors, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Queen and Van Morrison. I'm not specifically looking for Classic rock but more for classic rock style bands that crossover with progressive music (I already know the classics like ELP, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes and a few obscure ones from my Dads collection)

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 01:50:02 PM »
And if you like Animals as Leaders, check out Scale the Summit.

Am aware of them, just haven't gotten around to checking them yet.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 01:52:18 PM »

Did check out one of their songs whilst browsing some old roulettes a while back. Liked them, but not enough to pursue any further at that point. What was the name of the album which had like a picture of a factory or something, all in muddy greens and browns?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Help me fill in the blanks with DTF bands I'm missing
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 01:55:09 PM »
Well, the opening track off Closure In Moscow's Pink Lemonade album is pure old-school rock, can't quite put my finger on the band influence, but it's definitely remeniscent of some old rock band. Too bad the song is only 1:30 long :lol the whole album is pretty great but there's some really weird stuff on it too, not sure if you're looking for that. Shit like Japanese gaming music, some disco thrown in and whatnot, but the majority of it is prog rock, in the vein of The Mars Volta but a bit softer.

Here's the opening track btw
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 02:00:02 PM »

Seconding Wilderun, but they're not black metal by any stretch ;) Their debut album is basically metal versions of traditional American folk music, so Sleep at the Edge of the Earth could be considered as the more serious deal.

I'll mention some of my favourites I think you would enjoy. Many of these are actually rather unknown to this forum, so it will apply for a lot of other posters in this thread too!

Amorphis: Started with melodic death metal and gradually got more experimental, and less "extreme". Their discography is quite varied, but I'd recommend Eclipse as a starting point.
Anthriel: While obscure, The Pathway is still the best Finnish power metal album in my opinion.
Pressure Points: Kinda like Opeth, but not really. False Lights is superb.
Oddland: Essentially a combination of Meshuggah-inspired ideas and various other prog. Almost all clean vocals.
Turbid North: Old school death metal and sludge/stoner crossover. I especially recommend Orogeny.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »

You can sign up and put it on hold whenever you want, the 'regulars' seem to mostly have done their roulettes not too long ago and it's starting to dry up. There's no harm in putting it on hold as long as you want and hosting a roulette is honestly the most fun way of discovering music I could imagine.

As for bands, have you tried Children of Bodom? I haven't listened to them for quite a while but I remember really digging Are You Dead Yet? and Hate Crew Deathroll and some songs off Blooddrunk.

I will honestly think about it and get around to it at some point. Want to participate in a few first to get an idea of how I'd want mine to work.

Good recommendation with CoB, however they have been one of my favourite bands since like forever  :lol

I didn't mention all the regular, straight up metal bands I like as the list would be huge. I listed all the progressive metal bands I liked to see if their were great progressive bands I may not have heard.

You know, like some great DTF kind of bands that are popular (for being progressive) around here that aren't listed. Kind of vague and hard to put your finger on, I know.

Fuck it, maybe I'll just roulette this muthafucker and never visit the outside world again

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 02:02:49 PM »
Well, the opening track off Closure In Moscow's Pink Lemonade album is pure old-school rock, can't quite put my finger on the band influence, but it's definitely remeniscent of some old rock band. Too bad the song is only 1:30 long :lol the whole album is pretty great but there's some really weird stuff on it too, not sure if you're looking for that. Shit like Japanese gaming music, some disco thrown in and whatnot, but the majority of it is prog rock, in the vein of The Mars Volta but a bit softer.

That sounds exactly like what I need in my life, will report back later  :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 02:04:04 PM »

Did check out one of their songs whilst browsing some old roulettes a while back. Liked them, but not enough to pursue any further at that point. What was the name of the album which had like a picture of a factory or something, all in muddy greens and browns?
the apologist, which is great

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 02:05:21 PM »
What's that shitty album again with the crows and the red background?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 02:06:11 PM »
I second Children of Bodom, but basically ignore all the albums that ToN recommended - they range from mediocre (Hate Crew Deathtroll) to actually offensively terrible (Blooddrunk). I would recommend Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper. If you dig them, then go for the debut and Halo of Blood. The rest of their stuff isn't worth getting, imo.

Here's my favourite of their songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8F3t-F_grc

(Sorry Dennis, still love ya. :heart )

EDIT: Oops, I see that luke already responded to the CoB suggestion. Never mind, this thread is going way too fast. :lol

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 02:06:53 PM »
I didn't mention all the regular, straight up metal bands I like as the list would be huge. I listed all the progressive metal bands I liked to see if their were great progressive bands I may not have heard.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll emphasise that Anthriel are both power and prog.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 02:07:57 PM »
What's that shitty album again with the crows and the red background?
to be fair, I used the back cover and scanned it from the booklet myself  :lol

(also, they are winged skeletons)

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 02:12:02 PM »
I second Children of Bodom, but basically ignore all the albums that ToN recommended - they range from mediocre (Hate Crew Deathtroll) to actually offensively terrible (Blooddrunk). I would recommend Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper. If you dig them, then go for the debut and Halo of Blood. The rest of their stuff isn't worth getting, imo.

Don;t worry about it :lol last time I listened to them was like 7 years ago, saw them live once (actually I think they were the opening act for Slipknot back then, along with Machine Head) and it was amazing, but at this time I mostly listened to separate songs and not full albums. I now realize that Blooddrunk (song) is really terrible, but I still love Done With Everything, Die For Nothing

That sounds exactly like what I need in my life, will report back later  :biggrin:
I should warn you, the last 2 minutes of the title-track are really weird, like beyond Japanese retro-game music weird, I can't explain it but you'll just have to see for yourself.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 04:14:05 PM »

EDIT: Oops, I see that luke already responded to the CoB suggestion. Never mind, this thread is going way too fast. :lol

Going to respond to this just to air my views on CoB. I love all their albums up until Bloodrunk, they took a SERIOUS nosedive at this point. Are You Dead Yet is incredible to my ears, love it!! I agree that Bloodrunk was offensively terrible but Hate crew Deathroll is great, one of my favourites (my actual favourites are Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper tied for #1) I didn't rate Halo of Blood (although it was a slight improvement) and still haven't checked at their latest.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 04:17:13 PM »
... Oh right, they actually had an album out after Halo of Blood.

Yeah, I never checked that one. :D

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2016, 04:24:42 PM »

I should warn you, the last 2 minutes of the title-track are really weird, like beyond Japanese retro-game music weird, I can't explain it but you'll just have to see for yourself.

Well I listened to that tune, it's hard to gauge with a song that's only 1:30 but I liked some of what I heard, I'll give the album a listen tomorrow if I get a chance. I don't mind weird shit, my flatmate I lived with 10 years ago listened to lots of Melt Banana, that set the bar pretty high for weird shit  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2016, 04:29:54 PM »

Seconding Wilderun, but they're not black metal by any stretch ;) Their debut album is basically metal versions of traditional American folk music, so Sleep at the Edge of the Earth could be considered as the more serious deal.

I'll mention some of my favourites I think you would enjoy. Many of these are actually rather unknown to this forum, so it will apply for a lot of other posters in this thread too!

Amorphis: Started with melodic death metal and gradually got more experimental, and less "extreme". Their discography is quite varied, but I'd recommend Eclipse as a starting point.
Anthriel: While obscure, The Pathway is still the best Finnish power metal album in my opinion.
Pressure Points: Kinda like Opeth, but not really. False Lights is superb.
Oddland: Essentially a combination of Meshuggah-inspired ideas and various other prog. Almost all clean vocals.
Turbid North: Old school death metal and sludge/stoner crossover. I especially recommend Orogeny.

Cheers for the recommendations dude, I did check out the most recent (I think) by Amorphos, the one with the red and blue snakes on the cover? I'd seen a bit of love for that album here so gave it a spin and liked it. It's on my list to buy.

Haven't heard of any of the other bands but I'll make a Spotify playlist of all the suggestions I get on this thread and start working my way through them  :biggrin: Will report back in due course

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 04:36:46 PM »
... Oh right, they actually had an album out after Halo of Blood.

Yeah, I never checked that one. :D

Yep, no idea if it's any good. Lost a lot of faith in Alexi but I'm sure I'll give it a go someday. Their ealy stuff takes some beating though. Ever check out Alexi's side project Sinergy? Well worth it by the way, especially the album Suicide by my Side.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 04:46:11 PM »
Cheers for the recommendations dude, I did check out the most recent (I think) by Amorphos, the one with the red and blue snakes on the cover? I'd seen a bit of love for that album here so gave it a spin and liked it. It's on my list to buy.

Haven't heard of any of the other bands but I'll make a Spotify playlist of all the suggestions I get on this thread and start working my way through them  :biggrin: Will report back in due course

Under the Red Cloud is actually my favourite Amorphis album (my avatar is in fact the inside art), but Eclipse isn't far behind. Not as heavy, but tremendously catchy.

Orogeny is not on Spotify, but it's on their Bandcamp page. Hope you'll like the suggestions :tup
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:56:29 PM by Luoto »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 07:12:00 PM »
Off the top of my head I'll throw out Corelia and Destrage. And if you're a Tool fan, check out Deadly Circus Fire.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 07:55:09 PM »
Anathema and Steven Wilson are essentials around here, buddy :P

Check We're Here Because We're Here and Grace for Drowning respectively.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2016, 02:23:53 AM »
Off the top of my head I'll throw out Corelia and Destrage. And if you're a Tool fan, check out Deadly Circus Fire.

Cheers dude, I'll check out the first two. I've never been able to get into Tool however so might give Circus Fire a miss.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2016, 02:32:17 AM »
Anathema and Steven Wilson are essentials around here, buddy :P

Check We're Here Because We're Here and Grace for Drowning respectively.

Well I've only got FoaBP, IA and Deadwing by Porcupine Tree so far. I have listened to TRTRTS once and enjoyed it so Steven Wilson's solo stuff is on my list.

In regards to Anathema, I was initially daunted by the size of their discography and the fact there style has changed a lot over the years. That being said, I have given Weather Systems, We're Here Because We're Here and bits of A Sort of Homecoming a listen. They will definitely be a band I will be listening to.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2016, 02:39:41 AM »
Ok, so I have compiled a Spotify playlist with *almost* all the suggestions made on the thread so far. I'll give it a bit of a listen on shuffle over the next few hours and see what jumps out at me.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2016, 02:41:00 AM »
I know that most people gush over latter-era Anathema, but I actually think that their early stuff is miles ahead of what they are doing now. Not their doom metal stuff so much (though The Silent Enigma is a damn good album), but the stuff that came after it, like Eternity, Judgment or Alternative 4 - all of those are better than WHBWH or WS for me.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2016, 02:43:53 AM »
I know that most people gush over latter-era Anathema, but I actually think that their early stuff is miles ahead of what they are doing now. Not their doom metal stuff so much (though The Silent Enigma is a damn good album), but the stuff that came after it, like Eternity, Judgment or Alternative 4 - all of those are better than WHBWH or WS for me.

Ok, I'll add them  :tup