Author Topic: Star Trek Beyond V. Spoilers Ahead  (Read 17961 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Star Trek Beyond V. Spoilers Ahead
« Reply #210 on: February 17, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »
"My Gosh, man!"
That's a damn shame. Probably the best scene in the movie. What was it Spock said, "I can confirm your hypothesis to be horseshit, doctor."  :lol

Oh yeah!  "Horsebits"

I've never heard anyone in my life say "horsebits" and I was sure that's not what they were saying in the movie, either.  Fucking sanitized movies.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: February 17, 2017, 02:41:58 PM »
" If I may use the vernacular with which you are accustomed - i find your hypothesis to be horse-shit "

" I'll cut the horse-shit "

" Doctor I fail to see how excrement of any kind bears relevance to our current situation "

:P

I thought the new movies had more swearing than usual but then I rewatched The Final Frontier and it's full of it ! :lol I didn't realise.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #212 on: February 17, 2017, 08:28:44 PM »
"My Gosh, man!"
That's a damn shame. Probably the best scene in the movie. What was it Spock said, "I can confirm your hypothesis to be horseshit, doctor."  :lol

Oh yeah!  "Horsebits"

I've never heard anyone in my life say "horsebits" and I was sure that's not what they were saying in the movie, either.  Fucking sanitized movies.

I hate monkey fighting censorship!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #213 on: February 18, 2017, 04:38:37 AM »
Though the censorship of Smokey and The Bandit is glorious.   The voices don't match and some-bitch to scum-bum is the best thing ever.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #214 on: February 18, 2017, 08:35:17 AM »
Yippee-ki-yay, Mister Falcon!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: February 18, 2017, 09:45:55 AM »
Say what again Mother Father.

Monty you terrible TWIT !!!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2017, 11:40:27 AM »
Watched the abbreviated version of Beyond last night. No idea why. While the overall story is just as bad as the previous two, Justin Ling made a much better film with what he was given that JJA. The first fifteen minutes, everything before the explosions start, is excellent. Great comedic timing with the tiny aliens. Kirk's personal log with the scenes of daily life on the Enterprise is done perfectly. The extended beauty shot of the space station is nicely done and not boring, as they often are. Very nice interplay between Spock and McCoy throughout the movie. I don't recall ever thinking "hey, that was pretty good" when watching either of JJ's films. If you skip over the chase and fight scenes and everything regarding the badguy of the week it's a very good 50 minutes, and overall the best of the three movies.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: February 18, 2017, 08:11:55 PM »
It's amazing how they can't manage a half decent bad guy in any of these movies. I caught ST09 on TV the other night, and remembered just how poorly Nero was integrated into the plot and developed. It makes so little sense.
The first 5-10 minutes of Beyond with the tiny aliens actually had me ready to write off the movie instantly with how dumb and comical it was, but it managed to win me back with a lot of those character moments.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: February 19, 2017, 04:42:20 AM »
Remember it's based on Star Trek TOS . A very silly show at times.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: February 19, 2017, 04:45:23 AM »
Thank you for reminding me that a modern big budget Hollywood movie is based on a cheap 1960s television show. I had forgotten this! This justifies everything!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: February 19, 2017, 05:39:19 AM »
You're welcome ! Don't hesitate to ask if you need any more help ! :)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #221 on: February 19, 2017, 12:02:59 PM »
It's amazing how they can't manage a half decent bad guy in any of these movies. I caught ST09 on TV the other night, and remembered just how poorly Nero was integrated into the plot and developed. It makes so little sense.
The first 5-10 minutes of Beyond with the tiny aliens actually had me ready to write off the movie instantly with how dumb and comical it was, but it managed to win me back with a lot of those character moments.
I was fine with the comedy and it was very well done. Moreover, it actually integrated with Kirk's job dissatisfaction. But yeah, they feel it's necessary to have a bad guy, and in this day and age perhaps they're right, but they keep coming up with awful, cookie-cutter villains you just don't care about. They tried to do something different with Admiral Marcus, but he was pretty weak, as well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2017, 09:40:46 PM »
The addition of Admiral Marcus felt like they were just trying to muddy up the waters to throw people off, along with the whole Khan thing.
With the relatively poor box office of Star Trek Beyond, I especially doubt we'll see them break away from the simplistic generic bad guy in the next movie. They'll probably double down on keeping a clear bad guy and more action to appeal to the larger audience.

It really amazes me that with over 700 episodes and 10 movies (pre-reboot I mean) to draw upon for inspiration, that they can't come up with a scifi movie about anything other than a generic bad guy, and such poorly written ones at that. Surely they can come up with something that is different, and can still appeal to a general audience. :dunno: