Author Topic: Star Trek Beyond V. Spoilers Ahead  (Read 17775 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek Beyond V. Spoilers Ahead
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2016, 05:07:38 PM »
The USS Franklin's registry 326 is Leonard Nimoy's birthday.

:clap:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2016, 12:04:03 AM »
I think JJ said they won't recast or replace Anton

Well they have to technically "replace" him, don't they? Doesn't a ship need a whatever his title was?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2016, 12:05:35 AM »

Well they have to technically "replace" him, don't they? Doesn't a ship need a whatever his title was?

They won't recast him. There will be no Chekov in future movies. Will they bring in another character? I dunno. Maybe. Sulu seems pretty worthless, might be good to give him that stuff too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2016, 12:09:40 AM »

I assume they mean they won't replace him with a new main cast member that would permanently fill Chekov's roles. In TOS they regularly had one-off nobodies in those front two seats, and the new movies have several other minor characters on the bridge they could stick there without them being featured characters.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2016, 10:00:40 AM »

I love this jacket. I wish I could buy it minus the Deltas though.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2016, 10:02:38 AM »
I saw a video showing the jacket at SDCC, and many comments were saying that they wanted the jacket. Can't say I disagree with them either. :blob:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
I looked online and they're all terrible knock offs.

I wouldn't mind paying out for an actual one.

( i'd remove the deltas though. I just really like the jacket )

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2016, 05:12:39 PM »
I'm actually not sure how I feel about the film. :(

The third act was *great*. Everything from Kirk , Chekov boarding the Franklin with Jaylah and Scotty onwards is great fun.

But my screening was so dark and it wasn't even in 3D. Plus I was really tired for some reason and was finding it hard to focus.

I need to see it again in better conditions. Brighter screen and more awake.

I did like it though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2016, 05:34:48 PM »
It was really good.   I think I'm done with 3d. Don't see it that way the next time
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2016, 05:36:20 PM »
This was in 2D hence my annoyance at it being so dark.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2016, 05:40:19 PM »
But yeah. 3D sucks and they should stop forcing it on us.

It's more expensive for a shitty viewing experience.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2016, 06:39:01 PM »
Damn.  I like the I MAX 2D shoes usually.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2016, 02:26:37 AM »
I'm not a fan of 3D either. It's a gimmick, and I find it very tough on my eyes.

I watched the movie on Sunday night. I liked it a lot - it was a lot better than Into Darkness for sure. They did a really good job of sharing screen time among the major characters, especially Bones, who was a bit shortchanged on the last one. His interactions with Spock were definitely one of the highlights. "You bought your girlfriend a tracking device??"  :lol

The one new cast member that has never really fit, for me, is Simon Pegg as Scotty. Maybe I've seen him in too many other things, but he just doesn't work for me. The original Scotty was a lot more stoic and less comic relief.

The first few minutes were a bit cringy, when Kirk was trying to present those big-looking-but-actually-really-small aliens with the artifact as a gesture of peace. The saucer section separation definitely felt a little too TNG, but on the whole the VFX were really good, especially the entry into Yorktown with the Enterprise flying under the water.

Also, I agree with what's already been said here about the villain - I think they could have spent a bit more time fleshing out why he turned from Starfleet Captain to Big Bad.

Can we not have another Enterprise being destroyed in the next one please?  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2016, 05:18:25 AM »
I'm just happy that the Enterprise fought back in this movie.

In Into Darkness - for whatever reason - Enterprise did not fire ONE phaser or ONE Photon Torpedo.

I have no idea why.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2016, 07:16:31 AM »
In Into Darkness - for whatever reason - Enterprise did not fire ONE phaser or ONE Photon Torpedo.

Wow - didn't realise that!

Just read this interesting article on Karl Urban - looks like he was reluctant to return for a 3rd film because his character was sidelined in ID.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/07/24/star-trek-beyondas-karl-urban-on-why-he-almost-didnat-return-after-into-darkness

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2016, 09:58:58 AM »
he almost didnat return ? :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2016, 05:51:50 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2016, 05:53:53 PM »
Loved the different voices.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2016, 06:01:31 PM »
It's a good ship. I always liked the Kelvin Timeline Enterprise but wasn't a massive fan of the bulbous nacelles and arcing pylons.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2016, 06:03:15 PM »
I was never that much into the style of the different  Enterprises.   I should have been but it never really bothered me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2016, 10:46:11 PM »
Ah yes, you can clearly see the 1701-A on there. I was distracted trying to look at the bridge module in the cinema to notice that. Much improved on the nacelles, much more balanced than the horrible placement on the first one. From what you can see in the movie, it looks more like what it should have been in the first place.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2016, 08:12:27 AM »
As a huge Star Trek fan I wanted to love this movie (and i'm a huge Pegg fan too, so his imput on the writting excited me).  I sat down in the cinema expected to be blown away.   2 Hours later and I was hugely letdown - this film is a huge, huge mess.  The direction isn't on a par on the JJ films, the on planet action scenes in particular suffered massively from being to dark with to many quick cuts.   The plot (for what there is of one) is full of holes and solutions that are solved by one crew member (normally Scotty) plugging something into something else.  Worse though is the villain whose back story is so confusing it actually makes your head hurt thinking about it - also he's after a McGuffin of all McGuffins.   

It's not a complete loss if you don't think to hard about whats happening on screen then it's quite fun and glossy.  Bones and Spock have some nice dialog together (the Necklace conversation is pure comedy Gold).  Karl Urban is definately Man of Match in this film, also the Female Alien ally was a nice addition.   

Worst of the Kelvin films for me - what promised as a real Star Trek adventure is sadly just another OK silly action movie that completely falls apart as soon as you dare think about what you are watching.

But Hey Ho at least it's not as bad as Insurrections!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2016, 08:18:01 AM »
I don't know how you could complain about the plot given how much worse the plots of the previous two were, especially Into Darkness. I wouldn't say Krall's backstory was confusing so much as just weak and light, but I agree he was a crummy villian. The major weakness in an otherwise solid movie. But then again, it's been a long time since they've had a Trek villian that didn't completely suck. Neither Nero or Khan made any sense at all.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2016, 08:24:05 AM »
I don't know how you could complain about the plot given how much worse the plots of the previous two were, especially Into Darkness. I wouldn't say Krall's backstory was confusing so much as just weak and light, but I agree he was a crummy villian. The major weakness in an otherwise solid movie. But then again, it's been a long time since they've had a Trek villian that didn't completely suck. Neither Nero or Khan made any sense at all.

Plots haven't really been the strong point of the Kelvin films I agree.

I just thought there is so much wrong with Beyond's script it's the worst of the lot.  And when you also add in it's the least ambitious story and yet still manages to mangle the plot so much - it's just a letdown really.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2016, 08:32:08 AM »
We'll have to agree to disagree. I've been a big detractor of the reboot movies overall, and I have my issues with this one too which I outlined earlier in the thread, but imo the plot of Beyond was the only one that even tried to be coherent or faithful to the franchise.
Krall was certainly a huge weak point, no disagreement there, and there were some major points that warranted more detail there, but nonetheless, I wouldn't even put it in the same league as the trainwreck plots of the previous ones. '09 was thinly tacked together by coincidence, giant leaps of logic, and slapstick comedy, and nothing about Into Darkness made sense on even a surface level. After those, Beyond was refreshing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2016, 08:47:20 AM »
Beyond had a very simple plot, and felt more like an expensive isolated episode of TV than a movie to me.

And I think the plots of the previous movies make *enough* sense. Yeah, there are some crazy coincidents in the first one, but overall I enjoy that movie. And like I said earlier in this thread, Into Darkness is my favorite.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2016, 09:01:17 AM »
We'll have to agree to disagree. I've been a big detractor of the reboot movies overall, and I have my issues with this one too which I outlined earlier in the thread, but imo the plot of Beyond was the only one that even tried to be coherent or faithful to the franchise.
Krall was certainly a huge weak point, no disagreement there, and there were some major points that warranted more detail there, but nonetheless, I wouldn't even put it in the same league as the trainwreck plots of the previous ones. '09 was thinly tacked together by coincidence, giant leaps of logic, and slapstick comedy, and nothing about Into Darkness made sense on even a surface level. After those, Beyond was refreshing.

Let me list some of the complaints with the plot I have and maybe you can explain then.  (I don't mean that in a sarcastic way, I'm being genuine). 

1. There is way to many solutions that happen because of reasons...Jump starting a Spaceship by dropping if of a cliff.  Motorbike distraction where holographs appariently can follow roads perfectly and turn on there own.   The Beastie Boys - I know it's technobabbled explained, but my God it's cheap, cheap writing.  Violent explosions being used an a method of transport (at least twice!)

2. The Nebula being on the edge of sensor range, but at the end of the film it's right next to the space station (which in addition is way, way to advanced for the period in Star Trek Lore)

3. The Enterprise being the only ship in the current fleet that can fly the Nebula..........apart from it seems an ancient hulk like the USS Franklin - which flies back though it with ease.

4. How does Kelvin Spock have a picture of the original TOS Crew? (Really supposed to believe Prime Spock carried this around in his robes in '09.....)

5. Why does no one else on Yorktown want to help take down Krall, and how come Krall seems to be unaware of the Franklin, when it's his own ship!  Infact just Krall is general - nothing makes any sense about him (he's still appariently wearing his 100 year old star fleet uniform when he reverts back to human form for Godsake.....)

6. The little dog like creatures Kirk encounter at the start.  At the end we see a couple of them on Spaceship wearing Starfleet uniforms - does that mean they attack Kirk naked, if so was it sexual assault!  /Ok this is a joke one!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2016, 09:20:31 AM »
I can't argue many of those points, as a lot of those bothered me too.
The starship dropping off the cliff seemed like a silly excuse for a daring stunt (they needed to hit terminal velocity, but they would have hit the cliff at that speed, and it's not like jump starting a car ffs). The hologram was unlikely, but I was able to run with it.
The position of the nebula was a thought that crossed my mind too. Unexplored space right next door? I would have checked that in a basic survey before building a giant space station next to it. Couldn't have taken them more than a few hours to get back.
The Enterprise wasn't the only ship that could fly into the nebula, but they said they chose it because it had the best sensors of any of their ships, and Kirk seemed ready for adventure. Krall specifically wanted the Enterprise, so that was either luck, or the alien who came back nudged in that direction.
I have no problem believing Prime Spock carried that photo with him. It wasn't a big picture to carry around even in the Jellyfish ship, and being a physical photo in that era, it's also possible he had the photo with him on some kind of digital storage and had it printed out after he came back.
When Krall attacked, everyone was unprepared, and that was a huge swarm attacking. Were there any ships around capable of fighting them? Also I recall the swarm was affecting communications? They were caught unaware by a huge invasion force, and many of the people on the base seemed to be non Starfleet.
I assumed Krall stole the uniform after becoming more human so he could blend in with the crew and escape undetected.
Don't get me started on those little creatures. Not a good way to start off the movie, and it had to fight hard to get me back onside after that. :lol

There are lots of good points there, many of which I thought myself, but come on, these are mostly ridiculously minor compared to the giant turds of logic the previous movies pulled. Do you want me to list them? Because I've got all night, and I'd need it. :lol
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:31:20 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline adace

« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2016, 11:11:27 PM »
Saw this movie the other night and enjoyed it. It wasn't quite as good as the last one but definitely a solid watch. The visuals were absolutely jaw-dropping.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2016, 11:15:29 PM »
Hopefully will see this movie over the weekend.

Do I have to have seen Into Darkness? I admit I couldn't get past the first 30 minutes or so of it.

I've read enough to know that apparently there's no more death or need for star ships.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2016, 11:41:27 PM »
You can skip Into Darkness. I don't think there are any references to it that you need to know going into Beyond.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2016, 01:36:54 AM »
There are lots of good points there, many of which I thought myself, but come on, these are mostly ridiculously minor compared to the giant turds of logic the previous movies pulled. Do you want me to list them? Because I've got all night, and I'd need it. :lol

Haha!  No i'm well aware of the plot holes in the two previous movies!   For me though those movies had a little more ambition in the story, Beyond has such a basic storyline and it still manages to screw it up (for me) and perhaps me expectations for this one was higher with Pegg on script duty, I guess this one hurt more.   Weirdly depict all it's faults with the story (I tend to think of the massive coincidence more as destiny (it helps)) I think Star Trek '09 is one of the four great Star Trek movies with Wrath, Undiscovered Country and First Contact.  After those four there is a massive drop off before you start encountering the middling and out right poor movies in the franchise.   Beyond I'd put somewhere above the absolute dross like Final Frontier, Insurrections and Nemesis.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2016, 02:23:00 AM »
I wouldn't put any of the reboot movies up with the best of the originals (mostly agree with your choices there, although I'd personally throw in TVH too), but I still very much enjoyed '09 for the action movie it was, and would consider it one of the better ones of the remaining movies, a bit below Beyond.

Trek has always been much more successful on the small screen than the big one anyway imo, so I'm not too bothered. I have high hopes for the new series, as Bryan Fuller seems to get that deeper meaning that is largely lacking from the more action oriented nature of the films, but Beyond at least restored my faith in the movie franchise.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2016, 02:41:26 AM »
I wouldn't put any of the reboot movies up with the best of the originals (mostly agree with your choices there, although I'd personally throw in TVH too), but I still very much enjoyed '09 for the action movie it was, and would consider it one of the better ones of the remaining movies, a bit below Beyond.

Trek has always been much more successful on the small screen than the big one anyway imo, so I'm not too bothered. I have high hopes for the new series, as Bryan Fuller seems to get that deeper meaning that is largely lacking from the more action oriented nature of the films, but Beyond at least restored my faith in the movie franchise.

Yeah I'm really looking forward to Discovery too.  Has there been any casting announced yet?  Last thing I heard was they are going for a more arc based shorter first season (12'ish episodes).

If you want a Star Trek laugh i'd recommend reading the contents of this link :
https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/star-trek-insurrection/42356/star-trek-insurrection-revisiting-star-trek-9
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:50:36 AM by soupytwist »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2016, 02:45:14 AM »
No cast announced yet, or a confirmed era (aside from being prime timeline), although it was mentioned somewhere by Fuller that there were some well known actors from other liked shows, and a good amount of diversity. Looking forward to when they announce that.