Author Topic: Computer Science job question  (Read 892 times)

Offline adace

Computer Science job question
« on: May 19, 2016, 03:14:40 AM »
Hey guys, so I'm planning to get an AA in Computer Science with a concentration in Java at my local community college since I didn't get any real job skills with my B.A. in History/Poli. Sci. 

My question is though: do you think I have a good shot at an entry-level job (or even just an internship) with an AA and some certs or is a Bachelor's absolutely necessary?

I ask this because I can't get Pell grants for another Bachelor's degree so going back to uni would be financially difficult.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Computer Science job question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 06:14:44 AM »
If you already have a Bachelor's degree, I'm thinking you'll be fine with an associates in Computer Science. You wouldn't believe how many people I work with that are in a position that has nothing to do with their degree(s). Our lead Event Response application designer has a masters in geography, and all his technical knowledge was self taught. He earned a couple certifications over the years (most available online) and he was able to land this gig.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 06:35:20 AM »
You are getting an AA and not AS in computer science?  Maybe just a typo, but should be a science degree not arts.

Do you have any experience?  Experience can trump education, but in computer science you'll find it hard to start without a BS or at least an AS with certifications or knowing someone that can get you a job.  Computer science is pretty popular so even though there are jobs to be had, the competition is tough.

My company (advertising technology) has some people they hired without degrees, but those people are all older and experienced.  They wouldn't hire someone young and inexperienced without a bachelors degree.

But since you already have a bachelors degree in arts, I'm actually not sure how that would work.  I would say you should get some certs to go along with that AS, maybe pick up an internship for experience if possible.

Offline adace

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 12:18:56 PM »
Yes, I meant an AS. Good catch.

Thanks for both your responses. Glad to hear the Bachelor's isn't absolutely necessary.

One other question I have is: Would it also help to get certs outside my specialization (Java) such as networking, databases, web programming etc.?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 12:25:46 PM »
Why do you want to concentrate on Java?  Are there opportunities in Java programming where you live?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 12:30:44 PM »
Yes, I meant an AS. Good catch.

Thanks for both your responses. Glad to hear the Bachelor's isn't absolutely necessary.

One other question I have is: Would it also help to get certs outside my specialization (Java) such as networking, databases, web programming etc.?

You can't go wrong with a SQL fundamentals certification. I got mine for like $90 and passed with a 62%. "SQL Fundamentals Certified" looks great on my resume and doesn't make known what I passed with.

Offline adace

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »
Why do you want to concentrate on Java?  Are there opportunities in Java programming where you live?
Well, I'm kinda leaning towards Android development at this point, which requires Java. Not saying I'm not gonna learn any other languages (I actually am) but I want to start out with Java. As far as opportunities go, I'm pretty sure my area (Los Angeles) has a good amount of them since there's a lot of tech companies. Worst case, I'll have to relocate or just branch out into another field.

[/quote]

You can't go wrong with a SQL fundamentals certification. I got mine for like $90 and passed with a 62%. "SQL Fundamentals Certified" looks great on my resume and doesn't make known what I passed with.
[/quote]
Ok will do. I have to take a database class for my degree anyways so I'll hopefully learn enough SQL from that to pass the cert.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 01:03:35 PM »

Definitely.  It's good to be well rounded.  All of these are intertwined and large companies have you focus only on one, but small companies could require you to know all so you are more marketable if you know how to program and do networking for example.  Programming is also big in networking and databases as well, being able to write a program ontop of a database or router is very useful.  The people in my company who program our API do really well for themselves.