Poll

Where should we go on vacation?

Seattle
8 (33.3%)
Somewhere in Colorado
16 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Seattle or Somewhere in Colorado?  (Read 2547 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Seattle or Somewhere in Colorado?
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2016, 12:48:53 PM »
with more 'Murrica.

Lots of guns and lite beer?

I'm not sure if it's just because every place I went for dinner or drinks served craft beer exclusively (possibly a downtown Seattle thing?), but I was quite surprised at the beer quality and selection. As for the guns, it wasn't exactly reassuring to see signs in the bars prohibiting firearms in establishments that serve booze. You shouldn't need a sign to let people know that's a bad idea lol.

I think this is a west coast US thing.  Its not like that at all by me in NJ or in places I've visited along the east coast, but it seems like every restaurant I've gone to in LA and Denver was very big on craft beer. (not a big sample size of the west coast, but it was a trend I easily noticed).

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2016, 12:58:28 PM »
with more 'Murrica.

Lots of guns and lite beer?

I'm not sure if it's just because every place I went for dinner or drinks served craft beer exclusively (possibly a downtown Seattle thing?), but I was quite surprised at the beer quality and selection. As for the guns, it wasn't exactly reassuring to see signs in the bars prohibiting firearms in establishments that serve booze. You shouldn't need a sign to let people know that's a bad idea lol.

I think this is a west coast US thing.  Its not like that at all by me in NJ or in places I've visited along the east coast, but it seems like every restaurant I've gone to in LA and Denver was very big on craft beer. (not a big sample size of the west coast, but it was a trend I easily noticed).

CT is all about local brews. There are a lot of bars that don't even have a Coors or Bud on tap anymore. You have to buy a craft draft.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2016, 12:59:48 PM »
There are a lot of bars that don't even have a Coors or Bud on tap anymore.

This is as it should be.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2016, 01:07:44 PM »
Yeah, if you go to a place like we met at before the DT show and ask for a Coors Light, you are going to get some strange looks. We are very snobby about our craft beers, and our coffee - or whatever latte/frappuccino crap the yuppies here drink.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2016, 01:09:07 PM »

This is as it should be.

I get your point, and agree, but it is nice to have an option for a cheaper and lesser product.  I personally like Miller lite if I want a cheap lite beer.. but thats about it for cheap beers  :lol

Maybe it's just a general trend, not sure, never noticed that anywhere besides bars here.  And I was talking about restaurants, not just bars with regards to the west coast thing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2016, 01:11:53 PM »
I don't mind the existence of cheaper beer, but I am not now nor have I ever been a fan of lite beer.

But as rarely as I drink beer anymore, I don't settle for mass-market cheaper stuff.  Especially with some really great breweries here in North Carolina.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2016, 01:15:28 PM »
Lite beer is good when you want to have a drink out with your buddies and aren't looking to get buzzed.  Less alcohol in it, hence less calories.  That's really the only appeal to me.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2016, 01:16:17 PM »

This is as it should be.

Not for me. I think all beer tastes relatively shitty. The cheap stuff is the only beer my taste buds can stomach. I regularly try craft brews my girlfriend drinks, and I can't understand how anyone could actually enjoy drinking them. They're beyond disgusting. I've accidentally drank bottles of dip spit that tasted better than most of those beers.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2016, 01:16:27 PM »
Yeah, if you go to a place like we met at before the DT show and ask for a Coors Light, you are going to get some strange looks.

Pretty sure that redheaded server would've slapped me if I tried to order a Coors or something...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2016, 01:31:10 PM »
aren't looking to get buzzed

Does not compute.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2016, 03:23:03 PM »
Pretty sure that redheaded server would've slapped me if I tried to order a Coors or something...

She did have that look to her. When I asked for a Jack and Coke, it looked like it took a second for the light bulb to go on in her head. And that is a drink everyone knows. Maybe I should have asked for a Lemmy.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2016, 04:15:23 PM »
Well, since you have shitty taste in beer I won't go into that analysis, but otherwise....

Both of these areas are beautiful. I'm obviously more partial to Colorado, and as somebody who has lived here for almost seven years I completely disagree with the people who said 5-6 days is pushing it for a stay here. You will not run out of things to do. Lots to do in the city and surrounding burbs, plus you have the mountains and lots of amazing scenery nearby (that you would not have to camp to see). Rocky Mountain National Park is not only gorgeous, but also full of elk that time of year because it's mating season. Very cool time to visit.
Oh! You could eat at the legendary Casa Bonita on your way to Red Rocks, which will still have concerts going in late September.
There's Colorado Springs, Boulder, Fort Collins, all cool places to visit for numerous reasons. I could give you a much longer list if you want it, and I fucking promise it would keep you busy for your whole trip. Also, the weather is normally pretty awesome that time of year. They say we get "300 days of sunshine," which is probably an exaggeration but pretty close.

Seriously, come to Colorado. I promise I won't sneak into your backseat and breathe heavy.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2016, 06:53:07 PM »
I would say that 5-6 days is pushing the short side of Colorado in general. I'd stay there for weeks if I could. It's Denver that lacks long-term appeal. As a home base it's not too bad, as you can drive a lot of great places in a couple of hours, and the drive is usually wonderful. But there's plenty to see on the Western side of the Rockies, as well, and that's outside of of range from Denver. Moreover, the scenic drives are part of the appeal to some of the great locales, and they add a ton of time. Denver to RMNP is a one hour twenty minute drive up the interstate. It's closer to a 4 hour drive via the Peak to Peak, and it's the only way to go, in my book.

While I'd spend a night or two in Denver, opting for a concert night, of course, I couldn't see Denver as a destination location. It's too far removed from Colorado's greater appeal. It's also too lighted. I'd want to spend as many nights as possible far away and high above.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2016, 08:23:22 PM »
Colorado is great, but Seattle X 10. Great food, a ton of stuff to do, mountains AND ocean. All the cool islands in Puget Sound. I'd choose Seattle every day and twice on Sunday.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2016, 05:54:49 AM »
As someone who said 5-6 days is a bit much, that was meant for a non outdoorsy person in the city of Denver.  Colorado has way more to offer if you like doing things outside.  Just want to clarify that.  I could probably spend weeks enjoying the scenery as well and I wouldn't even consider myself an outdoors person.

Also, as Jackie mentioned, the Red Rocks is an awesome place to go check out. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2016, 06:30:28 AM »
One of my favorite parts of Colorado was the Garden of the Gods.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2016, 06:31:02 AM »
As much as I'd love to see the Pacific Northwest, I'd rather see the Rocky Mountains more. In fact, it's the TACs' summer vacation this year. We are flying in and out of Denver. Spending a couple of nights there, already have tix to a game at Coors Field. Hitting Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton National Park.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2016, 06:57:13 AM »
As much as I'd love to see the Pacific Northwest, I'd rather see the Rocky Mountains more. In fact, it's the TACs' summer vacation this year. We are flying in and out of Denver. Spending a couple of nights there, already have tix to a game at Coors Field. Hitting Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton National Park.

That sounds awesome

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2016, 07:05:38 AM »
I think I am sold on Colorado. Really tough decision though. Both places seem pretty awesome. So now the big question is where to stay in Colorado? While it's not the most important factor, I'd like to take cost into consideration. I imagine getting a hotel in the heart of Denver would be significantly more expensive than somewhere a couple miles outside the city. I'd like to get four nights in the $600-$700 range if possible.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2016, 08:30:04 AM »
I think I am sold on Colorado. Really tough decision though. Both places seem pretty awesome. So now the big question is where to stay in Colorado? While it's not the most important factor, I'd like to take cost into consideration. I imagine getting a hotel in the heart of Denver would be significantly more expensive than somewhere a couple miles outside the city. I'd like to get four nights in the $600-$700 range if possible.
Are you dead set on spending all of the nights in Denver? Or one place, even? If I were there six nights I'd stay in 5 different towns.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2016, 08:33:45 AM »

We're planning something very similar for 2017.  :tup

We have accommodation booked in Yellowstone already, but the flights won't come out until July. It really depends on how expensive the flights and car hire are (we're flying from Ireland). If it's going to be too dear, we may have to cancel.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2016, 08:34:43 AM »
Are you dead set on spending all of the nights in Denver? Or one place, even? If I were there six nights I'd stay in 5 different towns.

I wasn't planning on spending any nights in Denver as it's probably a small fortune when compared to nearby cities/towns. I wouldn't mind staying in multiple places.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2016, 09:00:40 AM »
You can get four nights in Denver proper for that much money, easy. I mean, maybe not downtown but in the city limits (it's a bit spread out). I would recommend going cheaper on a few nights and then maybe splurging one night to stay downtown OR at one of the bed and breakfasts in Capitol Hill that's in an old mansion- awesome neighborhood, my old stomping ground.
Will you have a car? We can talk more details via PM if you want.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2016, 12:54:03 PM »
Seattle is a cool city.  I was just there last year.  But it doesn't hold a candle to Colorado for my money.  Of course, Colorado is my favorite place on earth, so...specifically, my wife and I really love the Breckenridge area.  We've vacationed there at least a dozen times and we plan on retiring somewhere in that area.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2016, 01:03:50 PM »
We plan on retiring somewhere in that area.

I can see Colorado being an awesome place to retire