Poll

Where should we go on vacation?

Seattle
8 (33.3%)
Somewhere in Colorado
16 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Seattle or Somewhere in Colorado?  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Seattle or Somewhere in Colorado?
« on: May 17, 2016, 06:10:49 AM »
Girlfriend and I are planning our three year anniversary vacation for the end of September. We want to go to either Seattle or somewhere in Colorado for five or six days. Neither of us has been to either, so we're not sure where to go. I'm not sure what city we'd stay in if we went to Colorado. Where should we go in Colorado if we go there?

Pros and Cons?

Offline kaos2900

Re: Seattle or Somewhere in Colorado?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 06:26:28 AM »
Colorado easy. Never been to Seattle but I have family outside of Denver and I love it there. The mountains are beautiful and there are tons of things to do there. We've always stayed in a suburb of Denver and the mountains are very close. We've done the Coors Brewery Tour a few times. There are also cave tours and tons of trails to hike.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 06:26:39 AM »
 I have not been to Seattle in years, but did like it there. But I would have to go with Colorado. Beautiful place and a lot to see and do.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 06:51:24 AM »
I've always wanted to visit both seattle and colorado, I hear both places are nice to visit.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 06:53:58 AM »
Never been to Seattle, but Denver is cool, especially if you are an outdoors person.  I personally find 5-6 days a long time in Denver though.  Can probably see all of the city in two days so you'd have to find something outdoorsy to do to keep busy.  The scenery is beautiful.  I'd imagine Seattle is not much different though except maybe rainy.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 07:02:26 AM »
Never been to Seattle, but the Denver and Colorado Springs areas are fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 07:36:43 AM »
I've only been to Denver, and that was for a beer festival (surprise, :lol), but it definitely seemed like a cool town. Agreed though that the impression I got was that 5-6 days would be more than enough to see everything. I know a few couples that have really enjoyed visiting Portland, so you could consider doing a few days each in Seattle and Portland.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 07:55:19 AM »
I haven't traveled that much, but I've talked to several dozen people who have, and they all say the same thing. "This is the most beautiful place on the planet!"

The great thing about Seattle and the entire Pacific Northwest, is that you can literally have any environment possible on the planet within a 2 hour drive.  The ocean is west the forest is East the mountains are north and south the desert is East lakes are in the heart of the city. I literally cannot think of a single  geographical climate this planet has to offer that is not in close proximity he to Seattle.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 07:58:17 AM »
I know a few couples that have really enjoyed visiting Portland, so you could consider doing a few days each in Seattle and Portland.

I've actually looked into doing that, although a little more.  Start in Seatltle and drive down to Portland and then continue going south to San Fran over a week.  I think that would be a sick vacation.

From, Hef, Colorado Springs is nice too and it's only an hour or so from Denver so you could do that too for a day.

I'm also guessing you are looking to enjoy the legal activities in these spots.  Denver's shops are pretty cool, managed to visit a few on my last trip there.  Definitely a cool experience, but you aren't supposed to enjoy the goods anywhere in public which is the advantage Amsterdam has over Denver although the shops are much better in Denver and have great choices.  Can't compare that to Seattle or Portland.  Either way, go off onto a mountain, enjoy the goods, and you can't get much happier in life than the Rocky Mountain High.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 08:21:40 AM »
I dig the shit out of Colorado but have no use whatsoever for Denver. If you're planning on staying in the city the whole time I'd probably opt for Seattle. You've got better urban stuff to do, and you're still close to magnificent scenery for day trips. You can also rent a car and head up to Vancouver for a night or two. I understand that's a very nice drive.

Personally, I'd rent a convertible, buy some camping gear and spend the week exploring the pleasant parts of Colorado. Spend a few nights in the RMNP. On a clear, moonless evening it really does look like this.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 08:27:45 AM »
Jackie is in Colorado.  That would make my decision for me.  Somehow I don't think that would be good justification in this case...

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 08:32:10 AM »
Jackie is in Colorado.  That would make my decision for me.  Somehow I don't think that would be good justification in this case...

Hey Victoria, I've decided that we should go to Colorado over Seattle. There's a girl I met on the internet there  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 08:33:34 AM »
I dig the shit out of Colorado but have no use whatsoever for Denver. If you're planning on staying in the city the whole time I'd probably opt for Seattle. You've got better urban stuff to do, and you're still close to magnificent scenery for day trips. You can also rent a car and head up to Vancouver for a night or two. I understand that's a very nice drive.

Personally, I'd rent a convertible, buy some camping gear and spend the week exploring the pleasant parts of Colorado. Spend a few nights in the RMNP. On a clear, moonless evening it really does look like this.

That'd be cool. Only thing with that is that we've already been camping twice this year and have five more weekends planned. I don't know if we'd be down to travel that far just to camp some more. However, I do really like the idea of renting a car and going out to a place like that for the night.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 08:51:49 AM »
If I had to pick between the two,  I'd go to Seattle.  I love Oregon..  So I know I'll love Washington State.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 08:56:00 AM »
The great thing about Seattle and the entire Pacific Northwest, is that you can literally have any environment possible on the planet within a 2 hour drive.  The ocean is west the forest is East the mountains are north and south the desert is East lakes are in the heart of the city. I literally cannot think of a single  geographical climate this planet has to offer that is not in close proximity he to Seattle.
Tropical?  Rainforest?  (yeah, it rains and has forests, but that's not the same thing)  Low desert?  Prairie?

Shall I continue?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 08:59:45 AM »
One cool thing about Seattle is how close it is to Canada.  One of my favorite trips was one where my wife and I spent a couple of days in Seattle, and then went North into Canada, saw Victoria Island, spend a couple of days in Whistler, and then road tripped across western Canada, all the way across the Rockies (we lingered in Banff and Lake Louise) to Calgary, staying in B&B's along the way.  Not sure if it is still the case, but B&B's were cheaper AND nicer than even low-end motels in that part of Canada, which made it a no-brainer.  Anyhow, if this sounds interesting and you want to know more, let me know.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 09:03:29 AM »
Voted for Colorado, simply because I've never been to Seattle, and we have just booked accommodation in Yellowstone N.P. for 2017.  ;D

Though, if you are up in that area, be sure not to put a baby bison in your car to "warm it up", like these idiots:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/16/yellowstone-bison-calf-put-down-after-stupid-tourists-tried-to-r/

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 09:23:49 AM »
Tropical?  Rainforest?  (yeah, it rains and has forests, but that's not the same thing)  Low desert?  Prairie?

Shall I continue?

Taiga?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 09:45:29 AM »
Goofball.  Hey, YOU are the one with a mane.  :)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 10:07:09 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 10:30:30 AM »
The emotions of Cozmo:

happy                       horny                       horny                       horny                       horny

^horny                      ^horny                      ^horny                      ^horny                    ^horny and happy about it

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 10:33:03 AM »
*horny about it
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 10:34:54 AM »
Next to last on the bottom is likely "drunk" as there's a bottle of Jack in my hand in that pic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 10:35:26 AM »
:rollin  I was actually thinking about captioning that last one along those lines.

EDIT:  Actually, the last one.  But still.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 10:38:38 AM »
*drunk about it

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 10:48:42 AM »
 :rollin I guess Chino is going to PA now?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 10:49:39 AM »
It'd be a hell of a lot closer.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 11:24:50 AM »
Just got back from the DT show in Seattle last week. It was my first time visiting Seattle, and I liked the city. It's reminds a lot of Vancouver, BC... but with more 'Murrica.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2016, 11:27:10 AM »
with more 'Murrica.

Lots of guns and lite beer?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2016, 11:33:55 AM »
Curious Chino is debating between the two places where weed is legal. :hat

I like Colorado a lot, probably much more than I like Seattle! Having spent my whole life in the PNW, I am so over the greater Seattle area, but I will echo what JD said: the PNW does have so much beauty to offer.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2016, 11:36:13 AM »

Well, you know, he did "build this thing."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2016, 11:37:57 AM »

It's for lettuce!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2016, 11:39:58 AM »

It's for "lettuce!!"
I know.  :hat  #lettucedimebag

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2016, 11:51:40 AM »
 :lol who cares though, it's a huge tourist industry and totally a valid reason to visit those places.  I'm just lucky that my job sends me to these places where it's legal.  I think someone high up in this company must enjoy it.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2016, 12:31:30 PM »
with more 'Murrica.

Lots of guns and lite beer?

I'm not sure if it's just because every place I went for dinner or drinks served craft beer exclusively (possibly a downtown Seattle thing?), but I was quite surprised at the beer quality and selection. As for the guns, it wasn't exactly reassuring to see signs in the bars prohibiting firearms in establishments that serve booze. You shouldn't need a sign to let people know that's a bad idea lol.