Author Topic: I just don't understand...  (Read 6269 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: I just don't understand...
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2016, 07:37:43 AM »
Which is why I question John on not knowing her.  Even if you don't listen to her music, how can you not know her.  I'm a fat, white 48 year old prog lover that lives in a hillbilly town and I know her. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2016, 11:03:52 AM »
I've heard of Beyonce, but would not, and did not recognize her.  She's just some chick on a video game cover with a Dream Theater title and a bunch of other incongruous shit.  I don't even think she's that attractive.  Not ugly, but not "all that".

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2016, 11:07:27 AM »
Never before a thread title summarized my feeling about it's content more than this one does.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2016, 11:07:57 AM »
Does this actually have anything to do with anything? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2016, 11:12:03 AM »
It may have some hidden information on DT14.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2016, 11:13:08 AM »
Yes, it's brought to the forefront that male prog fans do not watch any TV at all.

It may have some hidden information on DT14.

3X ooo
4X xxx
1 up
3 down

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2016, 11:13:42 AM »
I don't wanna die..
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2016, 11:23:40 AM »
I don't wanna die..

This post along with the thread title makes me think that the ruins in the backgound represent the chapel; Beyonce is the saint; the guy on the left is the soldier; the whole picture represents what happens when you take too much wine; the title ''The Two Towers'' and Ursula represent the fables and the tales.

:splodetard:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2016, 12:32:14 PM »
Woah
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2016, 12:42:32 PM »
Which is why I question John on not knowing her.  Even if you don't listen to her music, how can you not know her.  I'm a fat, white 48 year old prog lover that lives in a hillbilly town and I know her. :lol

I never said I didn't know her. I just said I didn't put the image of her with the name. Generally, I don't top over music news if it's not something that appeals to me.  There are probably others I wouldn't recognize by face but definitely would by name.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2016, 12:43:56 PM »
Despite his tongue-in-cheek forum moniker, I don't think Mr. Snob's post are meant to be taken as snobbery.  Folks need to lighten up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2016, 12:48:15 PM »
Oh, I'm just poking him a little. He knows.  The fact that he knows the name of so many actresses and female musicians yet not Beyonce was funny to me. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2016, 12:53:44 PM »
Despite his tongue-in-cheek forum moniker, I don't think Mr. Snob's post are meant to be taken as snobbery.  Folks need to lighten up.

My username is completely facetious. Actually, if I ran through my daily playlist, I'd probably have some people accuse me of severe multiple personality disorder. Prog is my favorite genre without a doubt but I'm just as enamored by Sarah Brightman hitting those chilling high notes or Dani Filth screeching some cryptic lyrics about the occult.

Oh, I'm just poking him a little. He knows.  The fact that he knows the name of so many actresses and female musicians yet not Beyonce was funny to me. 

I know where you're coming from. If I had an interest in her music, I probably would have a photo of her in every pose possible. :lol  I just never bothered to do any digging into her and anything I did hear from her I heard in passing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2016, 12:57:29 PM »

My username is completely facetious.

Oh, I know.  That was kinda my point.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2016, 01:04:54 PM »

Oh, I know.  That was kinda my point.

I know, my friend. I was just echoing and confirming your administrative affluence.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2016, 01:21:24 PM »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2016, 05:50:24 PM »
A Beyonce thread in the DT section. Who knew?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2016, 06:36:58 PM »
Pop music fucking sucks. Especially pop r'n'b. 100% processed auto tuned and quantised to absolute buggery.

It's not music it's an algorithm.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2016, 09:25:45 PM »
Love you too K boy

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2016, 10:24:48 PM »
So what would be your POINT?
That was kinda my point.

FTFY
I miss chaossystem's little rants. I didn't realize he had his posting abilities revoked. Oh well, together we'll build a new forum. A BOLD new forum.

I had to tie it to DT somehow
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2016, 11:07:08 PM »

I skimmed through this thread quickly, saw this post, and wondered when I posted, because I didn't recall seeing it before. Have you been around lately? I can't recall seeing other posts by you recently, maybe we are not frequenting the same threads.

Is that Crash Holly in that picture?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2016, 04:54:19 AM »
Love you too K boy

:-* :-* :hug: :hug:

Love you too Penguin.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2016, 07:43:44 AM »
Pop music fucking sucks. Especially pop r'n'b. 100% processed auto tuned and quantised to absolute buggery.

OK
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2016, 07:47:11 AM »

Wrong, but think what you want.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2016, 07:53:53 AM »

He's wrong about it being 100%.  I'd go a little more conservative, like 70%.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2016, 10:08:55 AM »
But Beyonce has "it.".  You know, "it."  That thing that people like Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson had.  And that no prog bands have.

One more reason why you're the awesomest of awesomes.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2016, 10:23:53 AM »
A Beyonce thread in the DT section. Who knew?
All the single ladies, indeed.

I like melody-oriented pop music quite a lot, even though it can come around as artificial. I dig every now and then an awesome melody that can get stuck in my head for days. My guilty pleasure? Boy bands. Dammit, The Backstreet Boys had some amazing shit going on back on the day.

It's ok if you don't like pop at all, but you should try to be a little bit more open minded about what 'pop' (in the broadest sense of the word) has brought to the overall music scheme during the past 60 years or so.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2016, 10:37:54 AM »
But Beyonce has "it.".  You know, "it."  That thing that people like Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson had.  And that no prog bands have.

I love the shit out of prog, it's probably my favorite style of music, but there is no "Elvis" of prog.  There is no "Ella Fitgerald" of prog.  Hell, there's no "Beatles" of prog.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2016, 10:41:30 AM »
Floyd maybe?  But overall, yeah, I get what you are saying.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2016, 11:59:06 AM »
As far as talent, from what I've heard Beyonce doesn't have much. I'd take Alicia Keys a hundreds times over her. Now there's a woman who is blessed with a musical gift.
Neither one is really my cup of tea.  However, if I had to listen to one of them, it'd be Beyoncé.  Alicia's music and her vocal acrobatics bore me to tears.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2016, 12:03:55 PM »
I find Beyoncé's solo work to lack melody.  I'm not a fan of music with no melody.

I am in favor of her shaking around.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2016, 12:13:27 PM »
Did..  I start a Beyonce discussion thread?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2016, 01:11:06 PM »

He's wrong about it being 100%.  I'd go a little more conservative, like 70%.

That's why I jumped on it.  Saying that it's 100% opened himself up to criticism. All it takes is 1 case of it not being true and there goes his argument.  :lol

I love the shit out of prog, it's probably my favorite style of music, but there is no "Elvis" of prog.  There is no "Ella Fitgerald" of prog.  Hell, there's no "Beatles" of prog.

Yeah, but if someone is a prog fan looking for an 'it' band, they should go listen to Top 40 music because they're totally missing the point of progressive music. Who cares if a band has the "it" factor?

I wouldn't put Beyonce in a category with Elvis and Michael Jackon just yet. Shit, at least they were both visionaries. Beyonce doesn't have anywhere near the talent as they other two. 

Did..  I start a Beyonce discussion thread?

Die.

I find Beyoncé's solo work to lack melody.  I'm not a fan of music with no melody.

This.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2016, 02:13:07 PM »
Yeah, but if someone is a prog fan looking for an 'it' band, they should go listen to Top 40 music because they're totally missing the point of progressive music.

:lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2016, 02:33:37 PM »
lol