Author Topic: The Computer Geek Thread  (Read 4834 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: The Computer Geek Thread
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2016, 12:40:13 PM »
Giving this thread a bump. I was just watching an interesting video about DNS. For those of you who work in networking, you probably know the basics, but it does go into some more in-depth topics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRysni9ND2w

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2016, 05:57:24 PM »
So, I just rooted my old Galaxy 4. I'm in the process of turning it into a hacking/pentesting phone.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2016, 05:03:38 PM »
So I got my mother's old laptop to boot. I'm taking Winblows off of it and putting on Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2016, 01:51:41 AM »
How old is the laptop?

I have an ancient laptop (maybe 10 years old) that I use for connecting to guitar gear via usb and general browsing. It dual boots Windows 7 and Ubuntu, and Ubuntu by default, but there are no Linux drivers for any of the Boss or TC Electronics software apps, so that means having to boot into Windows. Every time I do that, the machine grinds to a halt downloading Windows updates and I forget what I switched it on for!

I've toyed with the idea of installing an SSD, and maybe going for some sort of lightweight Linux instead of Ubuntu, but the machine is so old I don't think it's worth spending any time or money on.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2016, 02:16:06 AM »
I'd like to use Mint but my laptop has ATI discrete graphics and drivers gor it are shit. It's like I'd use it anyway but somehow it is turned on by default which causes overheating and I can't easily disable it (nVidias on Linux have that option).
How old is the laptop?

I have an ancient laptop (maybe 10 years old) that I use for connecting to guitar gear via usb and general browsing. It dual boots Windows 7 and Ubuntu, and Ubuntu by default, but there are no Linux drivers for any of the Boss or TC Electronics software apps, so that means having to boot into Windows. Every time I do that, the machine grinds to a halt downloading Windows updates and I forget what I switched it on for!

I've toyed with the idea of installing an SSD, and maybe going for some sort of lightweight Linux instead of Ubuntu, but the machine is so old I don't think it's worth spending any time or money on.
You should try Lubuntu or Puppy Linux if you don't need it for anything special.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2016, 02:25:46 AM »
Yeah, the Linux portion doesn't have to do anything special, just have Chrome installed for occasional web browsing.

I think I tried Puppy at one time, and it vomited during the installation IIRC - possibly display driver related. Might be worth trying again with a newer version.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2016, 05:28:19 AM »
How old is the laptop?

It's just a few years old, so Windows 7 was originally on it. She was going to throw it out but I  told her I'd fix it and keep it for my daughter.

The apps you use...are they regular Windows exe files? You can use WINE on Linux to run Windows applications and this way you wouldn't have to use Windows at all.

As far as lightweight distros, try Ubuntu MATE or Mint MATE.

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2016, 05:52:03 AM »
The apps are the Boss Tone Studio and TC's Tone Print Editor. I plug in the pedals into the computer via USB and you can tweak the sounds using the app and save them back to the pedal.

I'll give it a shot through WINE, but I'm thinking I might need USB device drivers for the pedals themselves.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2016, 06:04:48 AM »
Give it a shot and see what happens. Let me know.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2016, 04:28:59 AM »
Has anyone here ever used TOR, I2P, or any other anonymity based browsers?

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2016, 04:46:29 AM »
I have, a few times. Don't know what you need it for, I did it for the country restricted streams (Wacken festival 2 years ago) and it worked like a charm. I used Tor.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2016, 05:08:48 AM »
I haven't used Tor but I'd like it try it out just to see how it is.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2016, 05:41:38 AM »
I have, a few times. Don't know what you need it for, I did it for the country restricted streams (Wacken festival 2 years ago) and it worked like a charm. I used Tor.

It serves multiple purposes. Anonymity is a big one.

I haven't used Tor but I'd like it try it out just to see how it is.

Give it a shot. There are some good tutorials out there.