Author Topic: Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman tour  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman tour
« on: May 12, 2016, 12:10:30 PM »
Just popped up on my concert calendar:

https://www.arw-tour.com/

Yiss

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman tour
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 12:13:43 PM »
OOOHHHHH!!!!!!!

Hot damn!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 10:52:58 PM »
No dates in the Pacific Northwest..  :-\
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 06:31:34 AM »
Nice.  I may have to come out of my concert "retirement" for this one, depending on the price.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 06:49:07 AM »
Any word on who's doing the drum and bass duties?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 07:35:40 AM »
None yet, which is interesting, and also a bit odd.  My only guess is that they're holding off on that so that the name recognition of the "big three" can work its magic.  If any of the rest of the band were known musicians, it seems that they would at least be mentioned somewhere.

Also, they're playing up the "Yes Music" angle pretty hard.

Official Tour Site

"An Evening of Yes Music and More"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 07:42:21 AM »
Well, they are playing Durham (at the DPAC, which is a sweet-ass venue) in October.  And I will be in Raleigh at that time, which is just a hop, skip, and a jump.

:justjen
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 03:55:04 PM »
Oh man, I'm trying to read the Bio on the main page, and it's obnoxious. 

"Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman are proud to announce that after a hiatus of 25 years, they are to reform the definitive Yes line-up as Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman (ARW)."

The "definitive Yes line-up"?  Please.  All three of these guys are indeed more famous for being in Yes than anything else, but let's be fair.  All three of them quit Yes when they wanted to do other things, and the only time they've ever played together was as part of the "Union" tour.  There are 14 tracks on the "Union" album, and none of them have Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman, let alone the entire band.  They're not "reforming" anything.

I agree that this particular trio has the potential to create some good music, possibly better than Yes itself is making now.  But this is nothing less than a total slap in the face to them (the current Yes).  And is it really a "line-up" if you only have three guys?  Presumably there will be a bassist and drummer, possibly even more musicians on the tour.

This could be very good.  I'll check it out.  I'm even glad that Rabin and Wakeman finally got to play together again, which they've wanted to do since the Union tour.  But this promo is nothing short of grotesque, borderline offensive.  In other words, typical marketing crap.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 06:03:45 PM »
^^^ Word.  With you 1000%.  All integral members - at one time or another - in Yes, but anything without Squire and Howe is hardly "definitive".  (And no, I'm not saying Howe is better than Rabin, because I like the Rabin era better as a whole, but if you list the ten songs that DEFINE Yes, only one has Trevor on it).   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 06:09:31 PM »
Yeah, I thought that write-up was pretty bizarre, too.  I get that they have to market the tour by hyping it as much as possible, but that was more than just a little overboard.

Regarding the other spots, with all due respect to Alan White, I don't think they'll have much trouble finding a guy to take his spot, but bass is trickier since you need a guy who can play those crazy bass lines AND sing, since the Yes harmonies need three voices, not just two (Anderson and Rabin).  Jonas Reingold would be a better perfect fit from a playing standpoint, since his style is very similar to Squire's, and he has the chops to pull it off. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 06:14:39 PM »
My cousin wants to go in Boston. I will abide.   Great place to see a show as well.  The Wang Center's acoustics are amazing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 10:30:52 AM »
Yeah, I thought that write-up was pretty bizarre, too.  I get that they have to market the tour by hyping it as much as possible, but that was more than just a little overboard.

Regarding the other spots, with all due respect to Alan White, I don't think they'll have much trouble finding a guy to take his spot, but bass is trickier since you need a guy who can play those crazy bass lines AND sing, since the Yes harmonies need three voices, not just two (Anderson and Rabin).  Jonas Reingold would be a better perfect fit from a playing standpoint, since his style is very similar to Squire's, and he has the chops to pull it off.

As long as it's not Tony Levin.  He's awesome, don't get me wrong, but I don't like what he does to the Yes material.  I'm not at all joking when I say I'd rather have Geddy Lee.  I am dead, frickin' serious.   Geddy Lee.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 08:41:41 PM »
Geddy would be awesome.  I think he could sing and play Chris' parts.  As well?  That's tougher to say, but he'd bring something different to the table.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 07:42:12 AM »
Geddy would be awesome, but I think he's probably more well-known at this point that even Jon Anderson, and I can't see them wanting to add any touring band member who is more of an attraction than the three Yes guys themselves.  On the flip side, he would help ticket sales a lot since Rush fans who aren't big Yes fans would be flocking to the shows just to see Geddy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 09:48:22 PM »
I am curious to see what eras of Yes they cover the most on this tour.  I am sure 90125 and the big "hits" from the 70s will get major preference, but what about the more obscure tunes from the different eras?  With Wakeman, you gotta figure that some of the more groggy stuff from the 70s stands a good chance of being played, and that could mean Rabin plays some Yes material he has never played before. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 10:35:22 AM »
I would hope for Endless Dream from the album TALK.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 01:54:44 PM »
I think there may also be some solo songs from Anderson and maybe Rabin.

more groggy stuff

Some pirate songs maybe?  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 08:07:57 PM »
Interesting review:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/jon-anderson-on-new-yes-spinoff-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-w439908

Didn't know there was that much animosity between Howe and Anderson.

Also, he does mention some songs they will play, for anyone wanting to avoid spoilers.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 03:11:15 AM »
They mention new songs and that they are starting recording beginning fo next year. This is some good news, hopefully they keep it up.

I'm not sure what's up wtih him and Steve, but it's clear and no surprise that he's pissed that he's not part of the "official" Yes.

Offline Art

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 06:16:42 AM »
Lee Pomeroy (Bass)

Louis Molino III (Drums)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 06:47:40 PM »
Set list for the first show was:

Cinema
Perpetual Change
Hold On
I've Seen All Good People
And You and I
Rhythm of Love
Leaves of Green
Awaken
Long Distance Runaround
The Fish
Roundabout
The Meeting
Heart of the Sunrise
Make It Easy (abridged instrumental as an intro to Owner)
Owner of a Lonely Heart

Starship Trooper

-------

My gut reaction to seeing it was, that's it?  Nothing from Talk?  No Changes?  No deep cuts from the Rabin years except for Make It Easy (a bonus track from 90125)?  Don't get me wrong, most of those songs are pretty stellar, but considering how many really good or great Yes songs haven't been played in a long time, it seems like they missed an opportunity to bring some of them back.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:07:22 AM by KevShmev »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 09:09:51 PM »
So they played on the "easy and safe" side.  And that's a gross oversimplification, of course.  Nothing easy or safe about those songs.  I'm sure it was great, but yeah, something of a "greatest hits" show, when they really had a unique opportunity to go deep.

How'd they sound?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 10:46:36 PM »
I didn't go to the show; I should have clarified that earlier. I found the set list online.

The Meeting seems like a bizarre inclusion.  That has never struck me as one of the standout tunes from the ABWH album.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 11:19:17 PM »
It's an Anderson-Wakeman tune.  It makes sense that they'd want to do it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 06:28:16 AM »
No I know; it just seems like an odd choice.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 05:51:09 PM »
Looks like the set list was the same last night, except Leaves of Green was replaced by Lift Me Up.  Good to see another Rabin-era song in there.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2016, 05:09:01 AM »
The Meeting is an awesome song imo, I would like to hear it live. Only piano and voice could make this a very intimate experience.

The setlist is very safe. Why get together with Rabin and then playing nothing from Talk? And only playing five songs that Rabin had a hand in writing/recording? Doesn't really make sense for me.

Surprised to see The Fish there, that song was Chris Squire like nothing else. I would imagine it strange seeing/hearing it played by another bass player.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2016, 07:06:50 AM »
I would imagine they are playing The Fish as a tribute to Squire.

Rumor has is that Wakeman is blocking any song from Talk being played, but who knows how true that is.

Also, Make It Easy is not actually being played; part of it is being played instrumentally as the intro to Owner.