Author Topic: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (WE HAVE A WINNER, LADS!)  (Read 60614 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i sent 19 minut

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Finally got everyone. Listening begins tomorrow. I am hyped.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
5th place awww ye

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Thy CataFailQue
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
no way :neverusethis:

Offline Tyrias

I'm already regretting my choice for this last round. I should have sent something weirder, like that awesome 17 minute orchestral dubstep track I'm listening to right now. Not that I don't like the song I sent, but it's just not out-there enough.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
I had no idea what to send, so I just sent a song that I really love myself, and if mike ends up liking it, all the better. I didn't expect to go this far anyway, so I might as well just go with my strategy of sending stuff that I love myself, and we'll see where that takes me.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline mikemangioy

You guys sent some really diverse stuff, colour me intrigued.

Offline mikemangioy

You guys are ready for this?

FINAL ROUND - THE RESULTS

I'm not gonna rank the songs though, I'll just say my thoughts about them. And shortly, since I need to pack, I'm leaving tomorrow  :lol  :biggrin:

Let's get into this:

Parama
Thy Catafalque - Molekulàis Gepézetek

Wow, you surely were aiming for both epic and unique. Never heard about this band and I understand it's from Hungary, so, crazy hungarian avant-gard black metal is a first for sure  :lol
Even though this type of music usually bores me a bit, this works really good as background music, but also drags you into the listening experience. I like the change of style towards the middle section with the 'Mr. SaxoBeat' type of sound. It gets back to crazy towards the end, which is never bad.
Totally mad and fun track to listen to!

Train Of Naught
Waken Eyes - Exodus

What I like about this track is the structure. It's a typical prog-epic structure but it has its subtle twists that make it interesting. I really like the acoustic march-type interlude with the samples going on, it's possibly my favorite moment in the entire 18 minutes, and also the main riff  :metal :metal
In the end though, I feel this is too much typical and heard before, I mean, there's a solo that's incredibly reminiscent of The Count Of Tuscany and overall, the vibe is pretty DT and Symphony X-ish, which is not a bad thing at all, but, with a song like this it overstays its welcome a bit, I think. Not a bad tune at all, though.

Tyrias
Agalloch - Fire Above, Ice Below

I had already heard 'In The Shadow Of My Pale Companion' by Agalloch, the song I mean, and it struck me as incredibly powerful and immersive. I genuinely loved it from the first listen, but never went again listening. I regret now doing so, 'cause this song had a similar effect to me. It took me a couple of spins, but man, such vibes. I like the use of the whispered screech, a nice departure from standard black metal stuff. The acoustic guitars provide to the pathos of the track in a great manner, it gives me a 'desolated mountain' type of vibe. It's incredible stuff, I don't even know how to describe it.

Evermind
Need - Orvam

As of today, this is a song I really needed to hear. A particular thing happened today in my life and I heard this song and it was plainly talking about me (even though in the end my situation got resolved, thankfully). Orvam is.. one of the most emotionally exhausting tracks I ever heard. It reminds me of the vibe The Death Of Music (by Devin Townsen, you should really check it out.) gives me. Everything about this is amazing, the production, the lyrics, the musicianship, the structure, it just is a great way to end the album. And let me tell you, the final spoken part, even though I can't speak greek, sent chills down my spine. I later read it is a Baudelaire poem. An incredible track.

Scorpion
Grayceon - War's End

There are a couple things that really stand out about this track: one is its dark and sad vibe. The other is the really subtle jazz drumming. It may not sound like it, but that shit is hard.
Overall it's a great track to listen to, even just for the production, although it has not too much going on, but I appreciate you sent an important song for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, these are the five tracks that were sent. After enough listens, I had a clear winner in my mind. It isn't really what I expected based on previous rounds but eh.

CONGRATS

TO

:metal :metal :metal EVERMIND :metal  :metal  :metal

Yeah, Ev you did it. You won this tediously long roulette which is finally over now! Rejoice, people  :rollin

No, but really, congratulations to Evermind and to everybody else. I'm gonna make a playlist out of the best stuff that was sent, which will look slightly like this:

Xerath - I Hold Dominion
Vanden Plas - In My Universe
The Struts - Roll Up
The Ocean - Into The Uncanny
Genesis - Eleventh Earl Of Marl
Shining - Fisheye
Ihsahn - Celestial Violence
The Hrisch Effekt - Cotard (btw I got really into them this past month, insanely good band, thanks Parama.)
Caravan Palace - Suzy
Moron Police - Stomp That Goomba
Lunatic Soul - Gutter
Lechuga - O Vurdon
Thank You Scientist - Suspicious Waveforms
Jon Lord - Sarabande
Machine Head - Halo
David Gilmour - Faces Of Stone
Wilderun - The Garden Of Fire
Zardonic - Vigilante
Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit
Thrice - Beggars
Tim Bowness - Sing To Me
Cynic - The Space For This
Azedia - Something
Dir En Grey - Vinushka
Slice The Cake - The Holy Mountain
Waken Eyes - Exodus
Agalloch - Fire Above, Ice Below
Need - Orvam

So, as you can see, pretty much each of you has sent a great track to add to my library! Nice job guys, I've really enjoyed the roulette, as far as the roulette went. I did not enjoy delaying the stuff at all, but eh, it was worth it, at least now it's finished.

Thanks for participating, everyone!  :metal
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 01:32:38 PM by mikemangioy »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (WE HAVE A WINNER, LADS!)
« Reply #569 on: August 13, 2016, 01:03:06 PM »
acceptable  :corn

i think evermind told me to check out that need album at some point and i listened to a song or two maybe? he can send that in my roulette if he makes it to the epic round irdc it sounds cool but i'm too lazy to check it out

also agalloch is always nice to see

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #570 on: August 13, 2016, 01:08:41 PM »
EVERMIIIIIIND :metal

Congrats Ruslan, I really don't remember much from that Need song since you sent it to me in my first, apart from the spoken words at the end, but I guess I should revisit it and maybe the album.

I'm glad I could introduce you to some cool new bands mike, especially Moron Police, since that was the one and only band I knew I just had to send in your roulette more than anyone else's. Glad it stuck with you.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #571 on: August 13, 2016, 01:17:25 PM »
It's a shame I didn't win with a write-up like that, but I'm glad anyway you loved that track so much. The entire album is amazing and I've made a habit out of listening to it when it snows for the first time in a winter. It's absoultely perfect for that mood, somewhere between calm, euphoric, cold and slightly depressing. I love how that album makes me feel such conflicting emotions at the same time.

Congrats to Evermind, though. I'll go check out that track, since you loved it so much, just out of interest.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #572 on: August 13, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »
Congratulations Evermind!
This was fun roulette, maybe lasted too long but we can forgive you that :tup too bad I failed to "get" your taste and send you something you'd like but it wasn't too bad.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #573 on: August 13, 2016, 01:31:38 PM »
It's a shame I didn't win with a write-up like that, but I'm glad anyway you loved that track so much. The entire album is amazing and I've made a habit out of listening to it when it snows for the first time in a winter. It's absoultely perfect for that mood, somewhere between calm, euphoric, cold and slightly depressing. I love how that album makes me feel such conflicting emotions at the same time.

Congrats to Evermind, though. I'll go check out that track, since you loved it so much, just out of interest.

You were so close, man.

Train, I started to check out the rest of the album and laughed my balls off at "T-Bag your grandma".Jesus.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #574 on: August 13, 2016, 01:36:32 PM »
Haha yeah that's not the subtlest of album openers.

I've taken quite an appeal towards "Steve Jobs Is Dead, But I'm Not" and "Go Home, Bitch!" lately

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #575 on: August 13, 2016, 01:37:59 PM »
Congrats Ev for stealing my crown  :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #576 on: August 13, 2016, 04:15:57 PM »
did i win?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: August 14, 2016, 09:49:25 AM »
Yay! Thank you mike and thank you guys! And to think I didn't want to participate in this in the first place. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #578 on: August 14, 2016, 02:24:43 PM »
Congrats Ruslan! Didn't think I'd win, and, it turns out, I didn't. So that's something.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #579 on: August 15, 2016, 02:30:24 AM »
Yeah the irony is strong in this roulette.