Author Topic: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (WE HAVE A WINNER, LADS!)  (Read 62130 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (ROUND 7 - RESULTS)
« Reply #525 on: August 01, 2016, 11:16:40 AM »
yeah tbh you should just make this the final round, mike. it's pretty clear you don't have the time to run a roulette rn  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: August 01, 2016, 11:17:37 AM »
Only if I win. :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #527 on: August 01, 2016, 11:39:56 AM »
yeah tbh you should just make this the final round, mike. it's pretty clear you don't have the time to run a roulette rn  :lol
I'd be fine with that if it's needed to be honest. The roulette has been fun but it's obviously not the best time for our host, could also postpone it and put it on a hiatus if that's possible.

Also I sent my best song this round :corn honestly probably my favorite song of my first roulette looking back at it now and it didn't even get a 10
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #528 on: August 03, 2016, 05:05:22 AM »
Okay guys here's what I'll do:

Once the results are up (tomorrow morning), I will cut the last three rounds since I don't want to finish up in late september basically  :rollin

There will be just another round with the four people that are staying, and it will be the final round, and you can chose between 'unique' (which was going to be round 9) and 'epic', though time limit is 20 minutes now. That's it.

I won't do an hiatus because I already have tons of pressure on me personally (because I hate not having the time to do this), and having an hiatus would cause even more of that. So, prepare yourselves!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 06:23:05 AM by mikemangioy »
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #529 on: August 03, 2016, 06:24:48 AM »
Oh damn, really torn between the unique round and the epic round now! The one I planned for 'unique' is a bit riskies but I feel like it could pay off tremendously. Guess I'll wait until the results to decide.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #530 on: August 03, 2016, 07:33:55 AM »
I have no idea what I even sent at this point, but I have some ideas for the unique round in case I make it.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: August 03, 2016, 07:42:59 AM »
Does power metal count as "unique"?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #532 on: August 03, 2016, 08:56:31 AM »
what if i just do both unique and epic

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #533 on: August 04, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »
Here we go finally after two weeks of wait! These are round 8's results, and they're all good, the good news is. Not even a bad song in this batch!

Let's dive into 'em

ROUND 8: OPEN ROUND IV

Sacul
Tim Bowness - 'Sing To Me'

To start things off, this is a beautiful melodic song. It has dreamy atmospheres that definitely remind me of early Porcupine Tree works, and infact, if I understand correctly Steven Wilson has something to do with this album, as I remember him posting the album cover on Facebook a while back. So yeah, kind of a safe choice there, but it worked! It has a beautiful hook that doesn't overstay its welcome in my head, and the instruments aren't invasive and don't ruin the immersion in the song at all. It's like sticking your head in the clouds!

Tomislav95
Paradise Lost - 'No Hope In Sight'

It's kind of rare to hear a doom metal song so short and catchy. Well, let me get this straight, it's not really catchy. It just doesn't have the redundancy that other songs of the genres seem to have, and to me they can ruin it. It's well built thorughout, and it seems infact to be the most popular song by this band. It's not mindblowing, but it's certainly well done. 
Funny thing, the main riff reminds me of Hell's Bells, heh.

Parama
Slice The Cake - 'The Holy Mountain'

Man, will you just stop not sucking?! It's getting embarassing. Well, here we go, this song by a band whose name made me think I was going to get another 'Moron Police' type of song, instead is a fucking huge Prog Death metal epic. This is called The Holy Mountain for a reason, guys. The soundscapes are vast, the impact is massive and it's really emotional. The best part of the whole track is the second one, where a long spoken part builds up to the last fadeout. The vocalist of this band takes the cake (:neverusethis:), but man, let me say that to build a huge atmosphere like this takes some talented musicians. Amazing stuff all around.

Train Of Naught
Rishloo - 'Landmines'

You pointed out The Mars Volta being a huge influence on this track, and while I definitely see that, there's one thing that keeps popping up in my mind:
MUSE.
Like, early Muse, Showbiz and OOS. This has the same insanity, eloquency and emotion to it. And production too, the sounds are basically the same. The resemblance is great in my eyes, but it doesn't ruin the track. Infact, it's a great track, I have tons of fun listening to it.

twosuitsluke
Cyinc - 'The Space For This'

This song starts beautifully melodic and then explodes in a frantic question-throwing song, as the title gets repeated with great fury. It really is an impactful track that leaves me with a nice taste of Cynic, I wanna hear more after this track. Great stuff, it left me unsatisfied and looking for more!

Tyrias
Azedia - 'Something'

A perfect example of the right thing at the right time. I needed music like this right now, in my life. Is this trance-pop or something? Well, it works. It gets me to another dimension of.. complete peace. This was an unexpected entry, even if it was yours, Tyrias, and I reacted to it very positively, it immediatly hit the spot for me. As the beat dropped a huge smile on my face was drawn and it never gets away while I listen to it.

Evermind
Phideaux - 'Gift Of The Flame'

Love the folk atmosphere in this. I imagine a prairie while listening to this. It's a nice track, light-sounding, although it doesn't really get anywhere consistent in my opinion, but it lets itself listen smoothly so I like it for that.

Elite
Trauma Field - 'Life Passed'

Rick, you're pissed. I know it  :lol I'm sorry about not having enough time for this roulette, I really wish I could. But in the end I think I didn't do as bad of a job, I mean, we're here, the last round is around the corner, I just needed to shorten what was already pretty long.

With that out of the way, this was an interesting entry. When I first started listening I though ' not another doom track please ' , but, similarly to Paradise Lost, this track didn't bore me. It has nice songwriting, it's catchy and it doesn't let go of my attention. The guitar solo is really great and the strings in the end add a touch of emotion to it all. Real nice track!

Scorpion
Dir En Grey - 'Vinshuka'

At first I thought Dir En Grey (which are pretty popular here, believe it or not) were a scandinavian band, so you can imagine my face when I heard friggin' japanese lyrics.
Other than the surprise, man, these guys are on fire!
Every two minutes the song turns itself around and offers new and more fun stuff. It is a built-up listen, some of this stuff is really crazy. It has me interested for sure. Will check more stuff. But man, if this is an indication of how they sound like, I'm sold.

Stadler
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - A Simple Game Of Genius

Eeeeeh it's okay. I mean, it's not bad, but I expected a bit more by this band, seeing that I like it more than Oasis itself. I guess I see why it's only an iTunes bonus track, it has its ideas, but it doesn't do too much to them, and it goes on for seven minutes so.. yeah. It's not a bad song, but it could do more, in my honest opinion.

splent
Worlds - 'Little Lens'

Haken meets Yes meets 80's new wave.
Never even would've thought of such an intertwined mix of influences, but Affinity prepared me for this, it was just unexpected.
And... it's good. It's interesting to say the least, I've never heard about this band.. when did this song even come out? Huh.
Overall, it's  fun track, I love the off-beats in it and the vocals. The bass is also real groovy in this one. One of the most interesting entries in the whole roulette.

------------------
So, here we go. After 8 rounds and almost three months ( :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: ) we get to see who gained access to the final round. And those would be...

SCORPION, with 67.5 points
PARAMA
TRAIN OF NAUGHT
and EVERMIND, with each 66.5 points!
aaand last but not least TYRIAS with 65 points.

Man, dat even score. For the final round the scores will not count anymore. I'll just pick the song I like most and the person who sent it will win the roulette! It doesn't matter anyways, since you're pretty much all tied.

To the rest of you, which I respectfully and dutifully salute:

Twosuitsluke (64 points)
Splent (62.5 points)
Sacul (62 points)
Tomsilav95 (58.5 points)
Elite and Stadler (58 points)

You were all amazing players, and each of you sent some really great songs that I will certainly relisten and possibly explore further. Thank you guys so much for participating and for your patience with me. Like, really, a huge shoutout for that. Once again, I'm so sorry.

Enough of that though, let's get this thing done! Send me ROUND 9! THE FINAL ROUND!

With unique btw, I mean a song that you think doesn't sound like anything else you've ever listened to. So yeah, if it's unique power metal, it counts. Could be anything.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 02:45:59 PM by mikemangioy »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck you Scorp and your Vinushka. :lol

And damn, we're going with unique? I wanted an epic round, had a very dark and heavy epic ready for that.

But hey, at least I'm still in which is honestly more than I was anticipating.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Goddamnit Parama I wanted to send Slice The Cake for the unique round :tdwn

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Glad you are eager to give Cynic some more listens.

Thanks for having me. Happy with my score even though I just missed out making it into the final round. I've finally taken the plunge and added myself to the waiting list so you will be more than welcome to join my roulette when it finally happens.

Lost out due to a few risks again  :loser:

Offline mikemangioy

Fuck you Scorp and your Vinushka. :lol

And damn, we're going with unique? I wanted an epic round, had a very dark and heavy epic ready for that.

But hey, at least I'm still in which is honestly more than I was anticipating.

Yeah, you wouldn't even join in at the start, remember?
Oh the irony.
BTW you can still chose an epic. You get to chose between unique and epic.

Glad you are eager to give Cynic some more listens.

I've finally taken the plunge and added myself to the waiting list so you will be more than welcome to join my roulette when it finally happens.

Will do. I have some stuff to blow your mind.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
almost sent them for the dark round and regretting not doing that now

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Couldn't defend my crown. Oh well :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
almost sent them for the dark round and regretting not doing that now
I hope you get banned from DTF for introducing the word 'hangmanen' to the world

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i sent my roulette-winner hybrid of rounds 9 and 10  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
mike man joy

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
0/3 for roulette now. Oh well. Glad you liked it. I'm actually glad because I'm in the same boat as you as far as time goes with my roulette.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Sent my favorite epic.

I wonder, am I the only one in the finals that hasn't gotten a single 9.5 yet? That's not going to help me in this final round at all :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
nah, i think there have been 5 9.5's and i've gotten 4 of them :neverusethis:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I've got one 9.5 for Jon Lord.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I've got none  :sadpanda:

Offline Tyrias

None for me as well, but quite a few 9's.
 I'll think on what to send and probably do it tomorrow.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I hope I'll be able to give out 9s and 9.5s in my roulette
there are none in round 2, tho

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I've more or less decided on what I'll send but since it's the final round I will take another day to think about it.

Offline Tyrias

Now that my first choice was rejected because I'm too stupid to read the banned list apparently, a few questions:
What is your definition fpor epic? Just long, or can it also be rather short, but with an epic feeling (at least according to me :P)?
How do you judge if it's unique enough?

Also, is there a time limit?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 06:44:27 AM by Tyrias »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Glad you liked the final tune :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay, sent an 18-minutes long epic tune.

Also, is there a time limit?

I believe the time limit is 20 minutes.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!

Fuck yeah Elysium. :metal :metal

Is everyone in?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Fuck yeah Elysium. :metal :metal

Nope, another 18-minutes long epic tune.

Offline Tyrias

I sent, but I don’t know yet if he accepted the song.

It’s barely over 10 minutes, though.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
So that means everyone has sent! Good luck guys, you're gonna need it because I sent the best metal epic ever :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
So that means everyone has sent! Good luck guys, you're gonna need it because I sent the best metal epic ever :metal

Wonder which one is this.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
I didn't send anything that would fall under a conventional understanding of epic, but it's definitely unique.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!