Author Topic: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (WE HAVE A WINNER, LADS!)  (Read 62523 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (ROUND 6 - RESULTS)
« Reply #455 on: July 16, 2016, 10:43:27 AM »
i guess i wouldn't care so much about trying to fit the theme except
1. i'm actually doing good in this roulette
2. you take theme into account a heck of a lot in determining scores, apparently
3. the music i find "dark" is the kind of music i am absolutely positive you would hate (black metal, doom metal, drone metal etc.)

so basically that's why i still haven't sent yet

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #456 on: July 17, 2016, 06:45:51 AM »
Back from my holiday, and I'm glad you liked my song. I would have been even glader if you had liked it more, but I'll just hope for some fuck-ups in the next rounds so I can get back on top (and hope I don't fuck up myself :lol).

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #457 on: July 18, 2016, 02:24:10 AM »
Aight, tidbits later today.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #458 on: July 18, 2016, 02:48:41 AM »
sweet :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #459 on: July 18, 2016, 02:51:38 AM »
Looking forward to seeing if my version of 'dark' is what you are looking for. Hope you watched the accompanying video as it helps

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #460 on: July 18, 2016, 07:07:55 AM »
Distorted bass is one of my favorite 'dark tropes', this tracks has tons of it.

This song has a trippy vibe that makes me obsessively bop my head. Does that mean it works?

Beautiful atmospheres, but the vocals kind of ruin it for me. Haunting lyrics, though.

This sounds straight out of a noir movie. The story behind it is incredibly sad and horrible, makes the track even more moving and eerie.

Nice bluesy vibe going on here. The lyrics are sad and you can hear the anger in the vocalist, amazing performance.

Totally reminds me of Ayreon, especially of some songs on 01011001.

Sounds like a bearable version of Guns 'N Roses. Can dig, although I really can't see the dark aspect of this track.

Haunting atmospheres, love the sound production in this. The choice of this particular album cover is really well done, it captures the vibe
really well.

Everything feels like black pitch in this song. Probably the 'darkest' of this round, theme-wise.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #461 on: July 18, 2016, 07:11:25 AM »
I like to think the one about the album cover is mine, as I agree on that write-up.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #462 on: July 18, 2016, 07:16:16 AM »
Everything feels like black pitch in this song. Probably the 'darkest' of this round, theme-wise.[/i]
If this isn't about mine, I wonder how dark is that song :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #463 on: July 18, 2016, 07:19:58 AM »
Distorted bass master race.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #464 on: July 18, 2016, 07:20:22 AM »
This song has a trippy vibe that makes me obsessively bop my head. Does that mean it works?

Beautiful atmospheres, but the vocals kind of ruin it for me. Haunting lyrics, though.

Haunting atmospheres, love the sound production in this. The choice of this particular album cover is really well done, it captures the vibe
really well.

Could be any of these. Leaning towards the album cover one or the one where the vocals ruin it. Though like I said I have no idea what the Italian lyrics mean so IDK if they're that haunting, they sound pretty haunting though

Or.. mine's one of two songs that doesn't have a tidbit :P
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #465 on: July 18, 2016, 07:26:13 AM »
Italian lyrics ... :|
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #466 on: July 18, 2016, 07:27:40 AM »
Gotta score some brown-nose points man

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #467 on: July 18, 2016, 07:41:59 AM »
The fuck is a brown-nose point?
Squ

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #468 on: July 18, 2016, 08:05:43 AM »
I have literally zero doubt that this is mine:

"Sounds like a bearable version of Guns 'N Roses. Can dig, although I really can't see the dark aspect of this track."

I won't explain it now in detail, but it's basically a singer predicting his own death, or at least singing about the inevitability of his (way too soon) death, and the kicker is, he actually DID die, in real life, about a year after the song was recorded, of the same thing he sang about.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #469 on: July 18, 2016, 08:41:47 AM »
1. maybe??? dunno
2. maybe
3. hope not
4. probably not
5. i dunno
6. no
7. no
8. considering i sent you a video with no album cover in sight, i doubt it
9. also no

i dunno

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: July 18, 2016, 08:59:28 AM »

This is probably mine. Oh well. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #471 on: July 18, 2016, 09:39:48 AM »
by the way mike is there a time limit on the epic round? just wanna know if a 45 minute song would be allowed or not, because if so, then my round 9 is also made incredibly easy  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #472 on: July 18, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »
Wondering the same, still deciding between 41 minutes and 20 minutes but it would be cool to give you as much music as possible so that the epic round can take forever.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #473 on: July 18, 2016, 01:11:05 PM »
I have a reeeeally good 45 minute epic that I think Mike will love  :corn

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #474 on: July 18, 2016, 01:32:48 PM »
Can I send The Whirlwind or LoD,DoD?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #475 on: July 18, 2016, 01:38:03 PM »
Gonna send bull of heaven tbh

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #476 on: July 19, 2016, 05:48:28 AM »
I'm pretty sure mine is the noir one
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #477 on: July 19, 2016, 07:56:38 AM »
Dudes, little respect.  I know I'm solidly in the group that is going home after this round, but a little uncouth to be planning your next submission before the last results are even in and the cuts made. 

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #478 on: July 19, 2016, 11:23:35 AM »
Distorted bass is one of my favorite 'dark tropes', this tracks has tons of it.

really well.

Everything feels like black pitch in this song. Probably the 'darkest' of this round, theme-wise.

A bit late to the party, but these are the ones I can see being mine, probably first or third one. The song I sent is probably one of the bleakest songs I know (in fact, the whole album is).

At least it is if I correctly remember which one I sent :lol. I mean, it's been almost two weeks now.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #479 on: July 19, 2016, 11:34:03 AM »
I want to get off Mr. Mangioy's Wild Ride

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #480 on: July 19, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »
I'll be off very soon! :caffeine:
Squ

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #481 on: July 19, 2016, 01:51:07 PM »
Time limit will be of 30 minutes, sorry guys, but with the pace I have right now I don't feel like 45 mins are gonna do. You know, I hate how slowly this is all going.. sorry, gentlemen. Results tomorrow. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #482 on: July 19, 2016, 01:52:40 PM »
fair enough, I'll give you the 45 minute one as a bonus entry then

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #483 on: July 20, 2016, 01:40:31 PM »
Guys, I just came home after a full day out of town and I think I'll just post the results tomorrow morning (Italian time), as I'm tired as fuck right now.
I hate pushing back stuff even further but yeah... by the way if you want, you can start sending roun 8 since it's open, so things get a bit faster.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #484 on: July 21, 2016, 01:13:02 AM »
:soon:

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #485 on: July 21, 2016, 05:21:05 AM »
Here we go, folks!

ROUND 7: DARK ROUND - RESULTS!

Now guys, unfortunately I had to cancel my PM inbox for the new round, 'cause I thought someone was going to send, and there was no space left.. so yeah, I have the results but I can't remember who sent which song, sorry for that. Please identify yourself so that I can write the chart again  :lol

Chelsea Wolfe - Colour Of Blood (Tyrias?)
This track has a haunting and eerie feel throughout, thanks to its deep bass which in contrast with the falsetto vocals creates like a dissonant feel that leaves me uneasy. I've heard a lot about Chelsea Wolfe and her latest album so I was glad to get an entry (well, actually two, but you'll see) from her. I can definitely see where this is going, but I would've liked a more interesting song.
6.5 points

Obsidian Kingdom - Away / Absent (Elite?)
Away / Absent is a 7 minute and a half tour-de-force through the fury of Obsidian Kingdom. The energy is very high, but it's not exactly all vivid, infact, the production (especially talking about the vocals) leaves the track with this 'oblivion' feel. So yeah, it is kinda scary and menacing, but I don't think I see the dark stuff completely. Still, good song.
7 points

Woods Of Ypres - Distractions Of Living Alone
As far as the music and lyrics go, this song is tragically beautiful. Doom metal-ish slow rhythm and lines about suicide.. what more can you ask from a dark track? The answer is better vocals. No matter how beautiful this song is, the vocals aren't just my things. The guy blurts out the lyrics which are very personal and intimate, but he has such an.. invasive voice that it really ruins my immersion. A shame, for the track is great by itself!
7 points

Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit
Can I say it? I'll just go ahead and say it. Perfect choice.
This freaking song is from 1939, and it talks about the lynching of afroamericans during that period, when they hanged the bodies on trees. And this song creates a perfect dark vibe. I love Billie's voice and you can actually hear her fear in it. The production is what it is of course, but it adds to the experience. It sounds like something out of a noir movie, for me, and it works incredibly in the context of this round.
9 points

Thrice - Beggars
When I said dark I also meant pretty depressing, and here we go, infact. The chord progression is predictable, yes, but what drives the song is the vocalist. It's not that long of a song, but man the vocalist of Thrice delivers an incredible, emotional, great performance. He screams out lyrics about how unfortunate one life can be, how sad and how terrible. 'In this life we are beggars all' is a wonderful line that encompasses those feeling beautifully. The final guitar riff is incredible too.. another perfect choice for this round.
9 points

Amadeus Awad's Eon - Noir - This is Evermind, I know it
From the intro, this sounds like an Ayreon song straight out of 01011001. Now, that album was already dark per se (talking about how the human world was just a creation of aliens which life was ending thanks to technology, and repeating the cycle), this song has the same kind of vibe. I like the folk instrumentation, it's what really drives the song along with the vocals. Also, Gavin Harrison on drums. It can get a bit stale, but at least it's a catchy, gloomy track, with a nice guitar solo too.
8 points

Mother Love Bone - Chloe Dancer / Crown Of Thornes This is Stadler, I also know it
Didn't expect a song like this to be the longest of the round. Well, singers talking about their death isn't new for me, since I'm a big Nirvana fan, and I know how dark that stuff can get, but I don't know why I can't actually feel the same thing here, even though the topic is the same. Overall this song is pretty great, a good hard/blues-rock feel, basically like a bearable version of Guns 'N Roses, I  just personally can't get a dark kick out of it. Maybe there are other tracks of MLB that are better in this aspect.
8 points

Novembre - Verne Train of Naught.
Here we go with the italian band I had no clue of. What the hell was I thinking? This stuff is great! Beautiful atmospheres, nice melodies with the guitars, all intertwined with melanchonic vocals. The second half, with the italian lyrics is even better though.. that's a very touching moment of music, that reminds me a bit of Steven Wilson, lyrically-wise. Musically, instead, the song gets slower and darker, and it gets big, with huge vocal harmonies that send shivers.. beautiful stuff coming from my country.
Also, the music is perfect with an artwork like that. Beautiful.
8.5 points

Tryptikon - My Pain
This is probably the darkest song of the round. It starts very slowly, with just a piano and drone. Then a machine drum (?) appears, and some female vocals (Fall asleep in my arms, never to wake up ever again), which already create a pretty eerie and sad atmosphere, which is enhanced by the monologue afterwards. This is a perfect blend of sad and creepy, that in this round, works perfectly.
8.5 points

Gorillaz - El Mañana
Trip down the memory lane, as I was a big fan of 'Feel Good Inc.' when I was a kid. This is from the same album, and man, Gorilazz do freak me out a little. You don't know their faces or how they look like, or at least I don't. To me, they'll always be just the cartoon versions.
Anyways, as to the song, it's pretty sad as far as this band goes, but that's pretty much it. It's not that interesting compared to other stuff I've listened from them, but it's decent.
6 points

Chelsea Wolfe - Carrion Flowers Sacul.

Yeah, I had to accept just another CW entry because it was already pretty late when I got this, and I wanted to start listening ASAP, so, to not drag it out further, I just closed an eye. Well, was it worth it?
This song is pretty much just like Colour Of Blood, just a bit more energic. Yeah, not sure that's the right word. It's more 'doom' whereas the other one was more 'avant-garde'. But yeah, the vocals and the bass, again, are great contrast to one another, but this time the vocals kind of ruin it for me since it's a bit of a repetitive song, but whatever, it's good enough.
7 points

---
Okay, for the chart I'll just wait for your response, but you can start sending. Remember, round 8 is the last one with every contestant, then six of you are getting eliminated, so, make it great!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (ROUND 7 - RESULTS)
« Reply #486 on: July 21, 2016, 05:37:39 AM »
Cool, I'll take an 8. Hopefully Parama didn't get a 9.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #487 on: July 21, 2016, 05:40:29 AM »
Woods of Ypres is mine.
I agree, it's not David's best vocal performance, he's much better on last two albums.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #488 on: July 21, 2016, 05:45:36 AM »
Triptykon was mine  :biggrin:

Surely if my song was the darkest of the round it should have the top score  :lol

I'm happy with that though, good score. Really glad I had the darkest song to be honest. No idea where I rank now but bring it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #489 on: July 21, 2016, 05:46:09 AM »
I sent the Thrice song. You should definitely check out the band, Beggars is probably their best song, but they have a lot of quality stuff all the same. Vheissu is a good album to start with, if you're interested, as is the Alchemy Index, but that one is a lot longer than Vheissu (it's actually four EPs of around 25-30 minutes each).
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!