Author Topic: Anyone living with a partner and sleeping in separate beds?  (Read 5709 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Anyone living with a partner and sleeping in separate beds?
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2016, 06:32:43 AM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2016, 07:02:41 AM »
Which makes me ask another question - of all the people having regular sex, how many actually have it at night time after going to bed?

Almost never, usually we are to tired from the day.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2016, 07:10:28 AM »
Which makes me ask another question - of all the people having regular sex, how many actually have it at night time after going to bed?

I have never, ever had that be the way things work in my relationship. Bed is for sleep. Not only would it be detrimental to falling asleep but it would make me dirty and sweaty and gross and would mess up the sheets and then I'd have to lay in that all night...? No way. Not on your life.

Rarely. We go to bed because one of us is falling asleep. We're not the type of couple who'll climb into bed and lay there awake for an hour or more watching TV or reading. As soon as we lay down, one of us is out within five minutes of hitting the sheets. I hate having sex super late at night. I'm usually tired and uninterested. If anything, we'll have sex randomly at like 4:00am because one of us gets horned up and starts molesting the other.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2016, 07:13:33 AM »
My gf and I have been living together for sixteen years. We've had periods that one us slept so badly we've decided to sleep apart for a week or so, until it got better. It's a bitch but it does happen. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2016, 07:41:42 AM »

I have never, ever had that be the way things work in my relationship. Bed is for sleep. Not only would it be detrimental to falling asleep but it would make me dirty and sweaty and gross and would mess up the sheets and then I'd have to lay in that all night...? No way. Not on your life.

Rarely. We go to bed because one of us is falling asleep. We're not the type of couple who'll climb into bed and lay there awake for an hour or more watching TV or reading. As soon as we lay down, one of us is out within five minutes of hitting the sheets. I hate having sex super late at night. I'm usually tired and uninterested. If anything, we'll have sex randomly at like 4:00am because one of us gets horned up and starts molesting the other.

I am definitely a "lets go to bed and fuck" kind of guy.  Because once it's over, I am usually ready to pass out anyway.  And then maybe wake up and do it again before getting out of bed :lol

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2016, 09:56:23 AM »
yes...but random 4am ground n pound sessions don't occur for couples sleeping separately.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2016, 12:31:50 PM »
Yeah, I can't imagine not sharing a bed with my wife.  Although, like most everyone else, she's easily cold and I roast like crazy.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2016, 12:48:32 PM »
Yeah, I can't imagine not sharing a bed with my wife.  Although, like most everyone else, she's easily cold and I roast like crazy.

Why are women so cold blooded?  My ex was always cold too and I am always hot.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2016, 12:52:10 PM »

The thing I don't understand is that my girlfriend says she's cold all the time. She'll have two comforters and a hoodie on and still say she's freezing. I have to leave a good two feet between us because it feels like I'm laying next to a radiator cranked all the way up.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2016, 12:55:29 PM »
I'm always cold. It's my southern Italian blood. I much prefer the warmer climates.  :coolio

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2016, 12:56:49 PM »

Do you guys lose blood monthly?  Lol. So there is your answer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2016, 02:03:07 PM »

Testosterone. I'm old ( :P ok not THAT old) and so am on bioidentical hormone replacement and my husband has had his share of trial and error with the stuff as well and one thing that is consistent is that any time anyone is on testosterone of any kind that person gets overheated more quickly, OR anytime my estrogen is too low I of course get hot flashes - that's what happens in perimenopause and menopause.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2016, 02:18:55 PM »
My wife is going through "The Change" right now. Cold, Hot, Hot Cold, Cold, Cold, Hot........

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2016, 02:46:11 PM »
My wife is going through "The Change" right now. Cold, Hot, Hot Cold, Cold, Cold, Hot........

yeah I was 38 when I started having symptoms of peri- but my hormone panels never supported that and so nobody could/would do anything but talk about exercise, stress relief, and nutrition/diet. really frustrating. it wasn't until a month or two ago at 43 that we finally captured evidence of my hormone drops and spikes on blood testing, which allowed my ladyparts doctor to refer me back to the compounding pharmacist, who did an interview with me and assessed my blood work and other stuff and then helped me set up a regimen of BHRT that should help ease the transition since I may well have 5-8 years left of it. I had no clue it took 10 years for perimenopause/menopause to wrap themselves up for most women, with symptoms of PMS increasing during the whole thing and hot flashes and yadda yadda. My doctor is awesome and female and just a tiny bit older than me so shes' going through it too and is super open to helping me out. The stuff you learn too... most people here would be either all googley eyed or all grossed out by what all I've learned lemme tell ya. :lol I hope your mrs has someone helping her out with this because even if she doesn't know she wants it, she does. Trust me. My pharmacist does intake interviews over the phone and mails out the prescriptions, he just needs his patients to have a doctor who is open to receiving his faxed recomendations and who will them write the Rx for it. He's not even in my state though I do live close enough to drive there.. but I bed he'd help your wife out if she/you/her doctor are all on board with it. Just a thought.. I wish someone would have been able to help me get this all sorted a LOT sooner let me tell you!!
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2016, 03:20:26 PM »
She was pre menopausal.  She on a few meds to help. She's really been good about it.  We just have blanket wars.   :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2016, 03:22:39 PM »
There's a great episode of Seinfeld where Kramer has to convince his girlfriend (Sarah Silverman) to let him go home and sleep in his own bed after sex. He later finds out that Frank and Estelle Costanza have been sleeping in separate beds for years.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2016, 04:06:25 PM »

Light to dark
dark to light
light to dark
dark to light

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2016, 04:26:09 PM »

Light to dark
dark to light
light to dark
dark to light

I wish it was that poetic.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2016, 07:00:38 PM »
Same bed every night. We have a Queen sized bed which is more than big enough to fit both of us comfortably.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2016, 07:34:02 PM »

Light to dark
dark to light
light to dark
dark to light

I wish it was that poetic.

I'm sure it's more like Greek tragedy

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2016, 12:24:32 AM »
I really don't wanna talk about my current situation but.. going by my situation 2 years ago and what not.. Ideally I'd prefer to sleep separate on nights when I have to be up for work the next morning, and together on my off nights.

She stays up till 3 am most nights. I try to be asleep by 11.

*looks at clock*

Oh.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2016, 01:55:09 AM »
Honestly, I couldn't imagine being in a relationship and not sleep in the same bed as my partner. That's a huge part for me - the intimacy and the cuddling (and more often than not, hot hot sexin' time) just makes me sleep that much better.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2016, 12:39:08 PM »
Mrs. NoseHair and I don't have separate beds, but our bed is so big we each sleep in our own zip code  :P

Seriously, though, it's a "California King" sized bed, so it's as wide as 2.5 queen beds and it's the most glorious thing ever because the both of us can stretch out in any direction we want and rarely do we disturb each other during the night.  Our dogs sleep with us too and the big bed makes that so much more comfortable. 

When we got married we had a queen-sized bed.  But as we've aged both of us have become lighter and lighter sleepers.  The littlest things can wake either of us up.  Getting the huge bed was part of a strategy to improve sleep and it worked, big time. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2016, 12:43:17 PM »
I really don't wanna talk about my current situation but.. going by my situation 2 years ago and what not.. Ideally I'd prefer to sleep separate on nights when I have to be up for work the next morning, and together on my off nights.

This is a great point. If it's the weekend, I don't care if I get a shitty sleep. I've got nowhere to be. It's only really an issue because I have to be up at 5:20 every morning. If I don't get to bed before 11 and also happen to have a crappy night of sleep (which only happens if I'm not sleeping alone), work is a living hell the next day. I'm on the verge of falling asleep in meetings quite regularly.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2016, 02:32:18 PM »
Mrs. NoseHair and I don't have separate beds, but our bed is so big we each sleep in our own zip code  :P

Seriously, though, it's a "California King" sized bed, so it's as wide as 2.5 queen beds and it's the most glorious thing ever because the both of us can stretch out in any direction we want and rarely do we disturb each other during the night.  Our dogs sleep with us too and the big bed makes that so much more comfortable. 

When we got married we had a queen-sized bed.  But as we've aged both of us have become lighter and lighter sleepers.  The littlest things can wake either of us up.  Getting the huge bed was part of a strategy to improve sleep and it worked, big time.
We have a king sized (but not the California king - dare to dream).

I have been spoiled by it.  Whenever we have to stay at a hotel or somewhere else and have to sleep in a queen, neither of sleeps well because the bed is way too small.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2016, 03:00:04 PM »
I can definitely see the benefit of two beds, even though I've never done that myself. Both of us are probably detrimental to each other's sleep, and it doesn't help that she sleeps from ~10-5:30 whereas I sleep from ~1-7:15. So I'm always getting situated while she's already asleep, and she wakes up while I'm still sleeping. Thankfully there have never been any issues with us waking each other up, consciously, but I realize that it might not make for the soundest sleep.

And an aside from earlier, generally, sex just flips a switch for me; if I'm tired it completely wakes me up, but if I'm fully energized it leaves me wanting to sleep.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2016, 04:12:04 PM »
I am 51 and am working on 21 years of marriage. I can't imagine the day when I don't sleep in the same bed as my wife. Our king size bed is huge and I only snore when I drink too much.(so I'm told) Plus my wife sleeps like crap when I'm not in the bed with her. Imagine that...
As the far the hot cold thing goes I often throw an extra blanket on her when shes cold that doesn't touch me.Or if shes hot she flips the blanket off her into the middle of the bed. Never an issue for us.
To each his own but I hope I never see the day I'm in a separate bed than my wife.
Man, I was fixing to ask if there was anybody in this entire forum that actually shares a bed with their SO. Way to be the outcast, dude.

I'm with Tick on this one.
Always an outcast....hunted like an animal...hated despised...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFAUq9cqC9k
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2016, 07:50:17 PM »
Honestly, I couldn't imagine being in a relationship and not sleep in the same bed as my partner. That's a huge part for me - the intimacy and the cuddling (and more often than not, hot hot sexin' time) just makes me sleep that much better.

This.  To me it's one of the great pleasures of being in a relationship.  Sleeping next to a warm body <3

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2016, 09:17:30 PM »
Back to the Lucy & 'Ricky' picture:  growing up and watching their show and Dick Van Dyke reruns, for years I thought my parents and all of my aunts and uncles were somewhat poor..........because none of them had two beds.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2016, 05:48:41 AM »

This.  To me it's one of the great pleasures of being in a relationship.  Sleeping next to a warm body <3

Warm bodies are nice, but waking up and literally being able to ring out the sweat from your shirt is a different story. I regularly have to change shirts in the middle of the night because our bed gets so hot. Our memory foam might play a role in that as well as I've read they retain a ton of heat. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2016, 06:36:46 AM »
First world problem Brian.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2016, 07:40:03 AM »
Back to the Lucy & 'Ricky' picture:  growing up and watching their show and Dick Van Dyke reruns, for years I thought my parents and all of my aunts and uncles were somewhat poor..........because none of them had two beds.
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.