Poll

Which three-album run do you prefer?

Octavarium, Systematic Chaos & Black Clouds and Silver Linings
43 (26.9%)
A Dramatic Turn of Events, Dream Theater & The Astonishing
117 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Voting closed: February 19, 2022, 09:01:52 PM

Author Topic: Last 3 albums with Portnoy vs First 3 albums with Mangini  (Read 12485 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Last 3 albums with Portnoy vs First 3 albums with Mangini
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2016, 09:16:16 AM »
The thing about the Mangini albums, whether you like them or not, is that they feel inspired and there was clearly A LOT of work put into them (mainly in The Astonishing). With ADTOE, they had the big burden of proving people that DT wasn't dead; with DT they had the challenge of creating a follow-up to that album and having Mangini being a part of the creative process for the first time: and The Astonishing speaks for itself.

The last 2 Portnoy albums to me sound like: Hey, let's go back into the studio. We have a clean slate + an AA song to write.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2016, 09:58:46 AM »
Every band, especially those that have been around for decades and decades, has two or three albums that get lost in the shuffle, at least in my experience. It's not necessarily because they're bad albums, but maybe they're just not quite as good as the rest of their discography, and there's only so much time in a day, so I forget about them. For DT, I think that SC and BC&SL fall into that category.

With that being said, I listened to ITPOE yesterday, and remembered how awesome a song it is.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2016, 09:59:45 AM »
Every band, especially those that have been around for decades and decades, has two or three albums that get lost in the shuffle, at least in my experience. It's not necessarily because they're bad albums, but maybe they're just not quite as good as the rest of their discography, and there's only so much time in a day, so I forget about them. For DT, I think that SC and BC&SL fall into that category.

With that being said, I listened to ITPOE yesterday, and remembered how awesome a song it is.
I just read your post and remembered how awesome a poster you are.

:-*
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2016, 10:46:48 AM »
Hear! Hear!

But my opinion of those two albums is not as forgiving as TOX's.

Of the two, I think that SC is definitely better.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2016, 11:52:24 AM »
Don't care for any of them, so I'm not voting.  Curious to see what the results end up looking like.  Then I'd be curious to see how a first 3 MP albums vs. first 3 MM albums went down.

Considering that would include I &W and Awake, I can't see the MP batch losing. What do you think Coz?

I obviously would think the MP batch would win there, but honestly, I don't even know what to expect around these parts anymore.  :lol

True. When the fan boys speak, anything is possible.

Offline namgalsipsclar

« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2016, 02:01:03 PM »
Mangini. 

8V was the first DT album I loved front to back.  SC is surprisingly one of my two favorite DT albums but BC&SL is just blah.  Music is great.  Lyrics are terrible. 

ADTOE is my absolute favorite DT album. DT was a bit of a let down but the highs on this one are REALLY high and overall a great album.  Astonishing I can't get into. 

So while the two eras are on par in many ways with two great albums and one let down, the Mangini era edges it out in many ways.  Also, while I prefer BC&SL to the Astonishing, I have a lot of respect for undertaking the Astonishing was.  Also, the lyrics were just lazy on a lot of BC&SL making it hard to listen to.

So wait, you don't think SC's lyrics were bad?
I'm not sure why anyone would.  For the most part, DT hasn't really had bad lyrics since Kevin Moore left the band.

Whuh...

I agree with bosk. I'm not sure why people would think the lyrics on SC are bad. People get too hyped up in disliking something so they completely disregard everything to do with said thing. So, SC isn't one of DT's best album. A low grade DT release is still pretty damn good compared to most other things out there. Just because it's not their best effort doesn't mean that all of the lyrics are bad. Just because the overall consensus of the album is that it's not one of their best doesn't mean that JP's guitar solos didn't kick ass on it.

I was more commenting on the suggestion that Kevin Moore wrote bad lyrics, if that's what the suggestion was

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2016, 05:05:23 PM »
Mangini. 

8V was the first DT album I loved front to back.  SC is surprisingly one of my two favorite DT albums but BC&SL is just blah.  Music is great.  Lyrics are terrible. 

ADTOE is my absolute favorite DT album. DT was a bit of a let down but the highs on this one are REALLY high and overall a great album.  Astonishing I can't get into. 

So while the two eras are on par in many ways with two great albums and one let down, the Mangini era edges it out in many ways.  Also, while I prefer BC&SL to the Astonishing, I have a lot of respect for undertaking the Astonishing was.  Also, the lyrics were just lazy on a lot of BC&SL making it hard to listen to.

So wait, you don't think SC's lyrics were bad?
I'm not sure why anyone would.  For the most part, DT hasn't really had bad lyrics since Kevin Moore left the band.

Whuh...

I agree with bosk. I'm not sure why people would think the lyrics on SC are bad. People get too hyped up in disliking something so they completely disregard everything to do with said thing. So, SC isn't one of DT's best album. A low grade DT release is still pretty damn good compared to most other things out there. Just because it's not their best effort doesn't mean that all of the lyrics are bad. Just because the overall consensus of the album is that it's not one of their best doesn't mean that JP's guitar solos didn't kick ass on it.

I was more commenting on the suggestion that Kevin Moore wrote bad lyrics, if that's what the suggestion was

I think he said that because a lot of people insist DT's lyrics went downhill after Kevin left the band.

Offline Cable

« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2016, 06:24:56 PM »
8V and ADTOE might be tied, if not 8V a little higher at times. Otherwise, the other two albums are much better than the bottom feeders of MP's last two IMO.
---

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2016, 09:35:14 PM »
Portnoy, no doubt. TA is a downer. ADTOE is great. I listen to it almost every week. I have always liked Black clouds and 8VM is a masterpiece. DT 12 is good. Il still believe that it is possible to make an opéra rock as long as you have good songs. And it has first and foremost to rock, not sound like Wham.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2016, 09:52:18 PM »
Portnoy, no doubt. TA is a downer. ADTOE is great. I listen to it almost every week. I have always liked Black clouds and 8VM is a masterpiece. DT 12 is good. Il still believe that it is possible to make an opéra rock as long as you have good songs. And it has first and foremost to rock, not sound like Wham.

Your posts are astonishingly bad, pun intended.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2016, 12:34:20 AM »

TA sounds absolutely NOTHING like Wham. Just because you don't like the album, you throw whatever band name you don't like, but your comparison is invalid. TA sounds like Disney on steroids at times, granted, but that's about it (IMO, of course).

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2016, 12:52:40 AM »
I lean toward the MM era.   The Astonishing is probably my favorite  DT album. The thing that holds the last 3 MP albums back is the
harsh vocals.  I am glad James is back to singing normal again.  The distorted vocals in Dark eternal night ruined a great song IMO.
I also wish TCOT didn't have that harsh vocal  "I don't want to die"    It would have been way better if it was just sung normally.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2016, 01:37:07 AM »

TA sounds absolutely NOTHING like Wham. Just because you don't like the album, you throw whatever band name you don't like, but your comparison is invalid. TA sounds like Disney on steroids at times, granted, but that's about it (IMO, of course).

B.Lee

WHAM?

Wow.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2016, 03:19:55 AM »

B.Lee

WHAM?

Wow.

Yeah, that's a new one. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2016, 04:47:56 AM »
Which character would wear the "Choose Life" t-shirt? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2016, 05:38:09 AM »

B.Lee

WHAM?

Wow.

Wham? Seriously? Have you been smoking the weed?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2016, 06:34:02 AM »

B.Lee

WHAM?

Wow.

This is what happens when you carelessly whisper.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2016, 06:43:27 AM »

B.Lee

WHAM?

Wow.

This is what happens when you carelessly whisper.

:facepalm:

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2016, 06:44:42 AM »
I've noticed a lot of criticism of The Astonishing that is, essentially, objectively wrong, and the Wham thing might be one of those, but I must admit I found it funny. :lol

Among the other things I've seen that confused me a tad: That it's "uncreative" and "uninspired". :facepalm:

I think there's a general problem with the internet nowadays where it's not enough to just say you don't like something. You've got to give a borderline insulting criticism. Like, it wasn't enough for some people to just say, "I didn't like the new Star Wars because the plot wasn't original enough." People had to say, "I hated the new Star Wars because it was a remake of the old ones and it was the worst movie ever and if you liked it, then Disney paid you!" :rollin
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2016, 07:10:34 AM »
This was an interesting choice.      I like Octavarium  A LOT  (except the title track)    but I dislike The Astonishing A  LOT.     So I had to weigh that.    I ended up going the Portnoy albums because Systematic Chaos has grown on me
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2016, 08:29:17 AM »

No don't worry.  Wham is probably too exaggerate I admit and regret about saying that but I got that comment this week from a guy I know who was there with a couple of friends.  He said that there was just too many ballads and he closed his eyes during the show at times and say that was the band he thought.  But for sure it has nothing to do with Wham.  But they were still some other people who were hoping to see DT rocks. 

After listening to TA quite a lot (in fact I put it on a lot via YouTube) I think cd1 is very decent.  Honestly cd2 for me is a total disaster.  I only like Our new world, the rest of it just fill the blanks but is not appealing musicly. (sorry don't know how to spell it).  I think their should have came with something really grand, a building crescendo throw the second cd.  What I hear is really boring.  Where are the goose bumps? But I like cd1, not in love with it but it's ok.

B.Lee

WHAM?

Wow.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2016, 10:12:48 AM »
DON'T ANSWER THAT

No don't worry.  Wham is probably too exaggerate I admit and regret about saying that but I got that comment this week from a guy I know who was there with a couple of friends.  He said that there was just too many ballads and he closed his eyes during the show at times and say that was the band he thought.  But for sure it has nothing to do with Wham.  But they were still some other people who were hoping to see DT rocks. 

After listening to TA quite a lot (in fact I put it on a lot via YouTube) I think cd1 is very decent.  Honestly cd2 for me is a total disaster.  I only like Our new world, the rest of it just fill the blanks but is not appealing musicly. (sorry don't know how to spell it).  I think their should have came with something really grand, a building crescendo throw the second cd.  What I hear is really boring.  Where are the goose bumps? But I like cd1, not in love with it but it's ok.

B.Lee

WHAM?

Wow.

OK, good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2016, 11:32:05 AM »
From personal experience, if he was smoking weed then TA would be amazing regardless of what it may or may not sound like  :hat

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2016, 12:26:16 PM »

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2016, 12:27:23 PM »
Posting again...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2016, 12:35:04 PM »
For a second, I thought you were going to change your mind and say they sounded like Bananarama.

And Gabriel was his name...
He's got it. Yeah baby he's got it.
He's your savior,
he's your savior, watch your behavior.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2016, 12:48:56 PM »
For a second, I thought you were going to change your mind and say they sounded like Bananarama.

He's your savior,

I'm officially pulling your man card.  Hand it over.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2016, 12:58:12 PM »

He's your savior,
Um...

:metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2016, 01:00:20 PM »
 :lol

He's your savior,

I'm officially pulling your man card.  Hand it over.

I'll poke you in the eye with it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2016, 01:11:15 PM »
I better watch out.  He didn't get the nickname "Sprinkler" for nothing.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2016, 01:12:08 PM »
I'll take Octavarium alone over the last 3 albums honestly. I mean I like them for the most part but I LOVE Octavarium

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2016, 01:19:07 PM »
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

Squirter, not sprinkler.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2016, 01:20:35 PM »
Rankings

Octavarium
ADTOE
BC&SL

The Astonishing (subject to change)
Systematic Chaos
DT12

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2016, 01:39:48 PM »
THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

Squirter, not sprinkler.

Yeah but still.  Left to right. Exclamation point.