Author Topic: Ray Kurzweil  (Read 629 times)

Offline MajesticDream

Ray Kurzweil
« on: May 09, 2016, 08:19:47 PM »
As an avid fan of DT both pre and post JR I must acknowledge and respect the technological contributions of Mr. Ray Kurzweil. His brilliance has shone across many recordings and live experiences both past and present. Ray is not only  brilliant technician but also a respected futurist. The later is where I take issue. Mr. Kurzweil has every right to envision a future that is a fusion of man and machine but I do not believe that this is vision of the world consensus. This vision would only further the gap between the haves and the have nots. Transhumanism in small steps such as bionic eyes and ears will be generally accepted because they will liberate those who have felt left behind. This is a technology that can and may be used to establish a superclass of human beings that may or may not determine that the inferior humans have no place in the new paradigm. Very strict laws must be established in order to avoid a dehumanizing catastrophe.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Ray Kurzweil
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:14:54 PM »
Yeah but what about robot penises?

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 06:06:44 AM »
You're a fan of "Post JR" DT?

Is you from da futurez?

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 06:08:10 AM »

Always hard. can't get a break.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 06:43:49 AM »

Requires a lot of lube

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 08:38:14 AM »
I attended a presentation by Kurzweil, about 5 years back or so, got dragged along by a friend. He's the classic example of brilliant guy who has completely gone off the rails. As an example, his "singularity" is almost a highschool-level over-extrapolation of data points. Just because a curve is exponential now, doesn't mean it will always be. In fact, most things in nature, while initially exponential, taper off at some point.
People keep flocking to him though, as they have always have to "prophets" who make wild claims about a better future. He'a a Millenarianist like so many before him.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:43:42 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cable

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 06:13:46 PM »
Welcome to the forums Majestic!

I looked at this yesterday, and had the thought that it will get moved to the P/R forum eventually. Hopefully I will not stray too far into it.

I tend to value what Kurzweil says, and think something like what he feels will happen. That said, I'm with Majestic in that it will cause the issue of stratification in a new category and/or level. To me, it will solve less problems than what problems it creates- societal, and mores/beliefs. And Rumborak it was nice to see your insight, considering your career. I figure the guy knows some stuff, but is a best seller and therefore probably has some zealous appeal at this point!

Then there is also the threat issue. If the AI was in control, I wouldn't fault it for making decisions ala WallE, Terminator2, I, Robot and so on.
---