Author Topic: John Myung Interview  (Read 4784 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: John Myung Interview
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 02:10:03 PM »
Will bosk1 link his fake Myung interview? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 02:26:47 PM »

???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 02:28:34 PM »
Says JM's home studio on LI. I thought he lived near MP. Did he move?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 03:08:43 PM »

???

Or was it you with the Twitter account?  I thought it was funny.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 03:33:43 PM »
" John Myung, Dream Theater has been a band for over 30 years now and you've just released a double concept album. Could you take a few words to sum up your career with the group and also your

new album ? :) "

" .....bass "

Dream Theater's 13th album " The Astonishing " is out now on RoadRunner Records.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »
Fascinating interview! 

Interesting to hear his thoughts on the benefit of collaboration.  Makes me think he wasn't all that satisfied with the way the writing of The Astonishing went down.  I'm sure he didn't hate it but I also bet he'll be glad when they go back to writing the way they used to. 

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 03:34:52 AM »
The most interesting part of this interview is when he says, "if I bring an idea to the guys in DT and they're not into it, I'll use it for my solo projects." 

Makes you wonder how many awesome ideas JM has for DT that are disregarded that could be DT classics if they were turned into songs....
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 05:20:50 AM »
The most interesting part of this interview is when he says, "if I bring an idea to the guys in DT and they're not into it, I'll use it for my solo projects." 

Makes you wonder how many awesome ideas JM has for DT that are disregarded that could be DT classics if they were turned into songs....

How do you know his ideas are awesome?

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 06:57:30 AM »
Learning to Live and Lifting Shadows off a Dream.  I would guess, and this is just a theory, that if JM were of the primary songwriters in DT, we'd have a lot more classics.  Just a hunch.
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 07:49:56 AM »
I think he also wrote Trial of Tears and Breaking All Illusions.

You know which is my favorite JM bass line? On The Jelly Jam's album Shall We Descend, the song Stay Together...listen to that bass line. Grooving all the way and complex at the same time. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 08:19:31 AM »
Guys, he wrote the LYRICS for all of those songs mentioned.  He didn't write all of the music for each song (which is what his quote in this interview is all about).

Apples and oranges.

BTW, nice interview.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 03:48:08 PM »

How do you know his ideas are awesome?

Because he's John Myung.

Offline Cable

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 07:45:51 PM »
Thanks for this! Some more insight into the least known member.
---

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 08:19:40 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the extent of his ideas are four bar riffs. I'd be surprised if he comes in with entire songs that get rejected, we know DT jams out their songs anyway.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 10:23:05 PM »
Guys, he wrote the LYRICS for all of those songs mentioned.  He didn't write all of the music for each song (which is what his quote in this interview is all about).

Apples and oranges.

BTW, nice interview.

Didn't they have some rule that whoever brought in a song idea had to have a melody and chords all put together, too?  Or, did that come later?  Either way, you don't write a song like Lifting Shadows off a Dream and have SOME idea of a melody or a chord progression.  Something.....

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 01:20:32 AM »

Apples and oranges.

BTW, nice interview.

Didn't they have some rule that whoever brought in a song idea had to have a melody and chords all put together, too?  Or, did that come later?  Either way, you don't write a song like Lifting Shadows off a Dream and have SOME idea of a melody or a chord progression.  Something.....

That was just for lyrics.  The music is always written first. They would then split up who got to write lyrics for what songs.  John would present lyrics in sort of a poem format without any ideas for vocal melodies.  They would need to rearrange them and come up with the melodies and then the end result was things like Trial of Tears.  Might have been an inconvenient way of doing things but the end result speaks for itself. 

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 06:45:19 AM »

Apples and oranges.

BTW, nice interview.

I'm pretty sure Trial of Tears evolved from a guitar, bass and drum demo he presented to the other guys - I read that in an old interview somewhere.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 09:01:46 AM »

Apples and oranges.

BTW, nice interview.

Didn't they have some rule that whoever brought in a song idea had to have a melody and chords all put together, too?  Or, did that come later? 
They wrote all of the music compositions for all of the songs together first.  Then they divided up the songs to various members to write lyrics.  The rule you are referencing was that whomever wrote the lyrics had to present them in actual lyric form with some idea of the VOCAL melody.  That's when Myung quit writing lyrics for the band, because he always brought in poetry, that JP had to work with him to craft into actual lyrics.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 10:11:33 AM »
I think Home originated from a JM bass line he brought in.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 10:41:38 AM »
Yeah, he brought in a Tool album.  :tup

Offline jeep128

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 01:49:48 PM »

i wonder how many times that happen!?

JM is a master!

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 07:09:49 AM »
John Myung did sort of write Lifting Shadows at first -- apparently, he came into the studio with two chords and a poem. The band worked on it for two days to make it the song we know today.

In any case, haven't read the whole interview yet, but so far a pretty good read. A shame JM doesn't do interviews much, he's very interesting.
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 04:38:34 PM »
Yeah, he brought in a Tool album.  :tup

Come on, no love for Hef for this post?

That's gold, Hef. Gold!  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 07:45:08 AM »
*bows with a flourish*

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 07:51:04 AM »
no

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 08:09:23 AM »