Author Topic: The X-Men Thread v. (****LOGAN DISCUSSION/SPOILERS****)  (Read 14309 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The X-Men Thread
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2017, 02:31:20 AM »
Fox and their X-Men universe is interesting because they have the highest burts of quality but they mix that with headscratchingly bad movies too. First you have something like Fantastic Four which doesn't even feel like a finished movie (barely was I suppose), then you have Deadpool which is really awesome, follow that up with X-Men Apocalypse which was the most disappointing out of the recent trilogy, and then follow that with Logan which might be the best comic book movie ever.

Personally I don't think Marvel has done a movie as good as Logan. But they have more of a consistency. What I like about the Fox films is that when they let the directors follow their vision and go outside the box, you get movies like Deadpool and Logan which manage to be great and break some of those traditional patterns you see in the other films. With Marvel, the same formula is very present in the film whether it's Ant-Man or Dr. Strange.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2017, 04:26:32 AM »
I'm absolutely thrilled it's being shown in non-3D IMAX.  Jingle.son and I have our tickets for Saturday night.  Sooooo looking forward to it (along with the Deadpool teaser trailer).  Gonna read me some X-23 comics today to get in the mood.

I didn't think Apocalypse was too bad, but it was indeed the worst of the current era x-men movies.  I felt the Quicksilver scene was forced, and a blatant (and failed) attempt to capture the magic of that scene from DOFP.  I never bothered with the most recent FF
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »
The Queen and I are in our seats for Logan! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2017, 04:44:48 PM »
That movie from top to bottom was amazing. So emotional  So human.  So wonderful.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2017, 05:49:10 PM »
I didn't think it was possible for Fox to make a better X-Men movie than X2, DOFP, or Deadpool....but they just made one of the greatest superhero films ever. Logan is definitely up there with The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, Superman The Movie, and Winter Soldier in my books. Might be better than some of the ones I named. I have to comprehend what I just witnessed. What an incredible movie experience.

Monday i'll put the SPOILERS tag on the thread title so we can start discussing, since I feel like the majority of us will be seeing this film this weekend.

Thanks Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart for the past 17 years. They have left the franchise in the best way possible.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2017, 09:56:08 PM »
I concur on how amazing Logan was, having the pleasure of not reading any of comics or even watching any of the trailers, it was more than I expected. I knew it would be a lot more serious but man the tone of that movie was downright brutal, melancholic and emotional. I'm glad they went in a tone completely different than the other X-men movies and kept it grounded as much as possible.

The character development was very well done for the protagonists, the villains on the other hand I guess could've had more depth but I'm not complaining. I think with so many good things in this movie it could easily be overlooked on their somewhat plain and straight forward 'I'm the bad guy, I do bad things' depiction.

The kid was great whoever she was, her facial expressions were I thought convincing. If I had to describe this movie in one word I'd say it's extremely 'raw'.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2017, 09:58:09 PM »
I agree about the villains, but I'd argue that they didn't really need much depth since the movie wasn't about them. It's not too often that this is the case, but they served their purpose and the one dude with the hand had a lot of great personality and charisma.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2017, 10:07:33 PM »
Yeah I should've mentioned that apart from him, the doctor was kinda bland and just sort of there for the sake of it. But as I said it was very minor and didn't affect my enjoyment of the movie.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2017, 10:14:19 PM »
And forgot to mention, how awesome was that Deadpool teaser. It was hilarious!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 10:25:48 PM by faizoff »

Online Adami

« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2017, 10:17:33 PM »
And forgot to mention, how awesome was that Deadpool teaser. It was hilarious!

That might be consider spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2017, 10:26:26 PM »
Ok. but it's not part of the movie. How would it be a spoiler?

Online Adami

« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2017, 10:33:50 PM »

I had no idea it would be there. It was not advertised at all. It's kind of supposed to be a surprise. It's not a spoiler I guess, but it's kind of ruining a potentially cool surprise.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2017, 05:00:31 AM »
Saw it last night, agreed with everyone else so far. Really great, the best super hero movie I've seen in a while.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2017, 11:58:40 AM »

I had no idea it would be there. It was not advertised at all. It's kind of supposed to be a surprise. It's not a spoiler I guess, but it's kind of ruining a potentially cool surprise.
We don't appear to be getting it in UK.

We saw it this afternoon and yeah it was excellent. Really bleak.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2017, 12:00:20 PM »
Well it was officially posted online. Easy to find on youtube. (Not Logan)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2017, 02:04:39 PM »
Just got back. I may go out on an edge and say that was the best Marvel film yet. Killed it on every level.

And something I noticed in the Deadpool trailer, in the background was a bunch of Firefly posters...I want to get a better look at that, though I think it's just a dick production guy trolling us.

Online Adami

« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2017, 02:08:22 PM »
The girl who played his girlfriend was from Firefly, so that was definitely intentional.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2017, 05:16:54 AM »
Thought it was definitely Top 5 of comic book movie of all time, perhaps the greatest MOVIE, because it was a movie based in a comic book world (or more accurately, worlds since it pulls from a few different comic series).  I'm not sure I would call it my favorite though.  Tremendous performances by Jackman, Stewart, and Dafne Keen.  I thought Stephen Merchant (Caliban) was phenomenal as well.  Having read the x-23 comics, I was disappointed in how they interpreted Zander Rice.

None-the-less, absolute brilliance, with virtually no flaws.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2017, 07:33:08 AM »
Thought it was definitely Top 5 of comic book movie of all time, perhaps the greatest MOVIE, because it was a movie based in a comic book world (or more accurately, worlds since it pulls from a few different comic series).  I'm not sure I would call it my favorite though.  Tremendous performances by Jackman, Stewart, and Dafne Keen.  I thought Stephen Merchant (Caliban) was phenomenal as well.  Having read the x-23 comics, I was disappointed in how they interpreted Zander Rice.

None-the-less, absolute brilliance, with virtually no flaws.

Agree with all of this. If Jackman and Stewart don't get Oscar noms then there is a problem. I wouldn't be surprised if Keen gets one too.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2017, 08:27:37 AM »
There's not gonna be 2 or 3 oscar nominations for Logan. That's the harsh reality we live in sadly.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2017, 10:18:37 AM »
Why not? Heath Ledger got one for The Dark Knight. And both Jackman and Stewart were fantastic and on par to qualify for a nomination.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2017, 10:54:41 AM »
Question, was there a Stan Lee cameo? I don't remember seeing him.

Online Adami

« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
Question, was there a Stan Lee cameo? I don't remember seeing him.

In Logan? No. He wouldn't have fit anyway.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2017, 11:05:36 AM »
I didn't think the air to Soul Glow would either but it worked.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:19:02 AM by kingshmegland »

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: The X-Men Thread v. (****LOGAN DISCUSSION/SPOILERS****)
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2017, 11:17:06 AM »
I put the spoiler tag on the thread so discuss away!

I rewatched Apocalypse last night, and I had forgotten Caliban was in in. I believe there was reference to his role in that film that was made by Pierce?

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2017, 01:46:04 AM »
Finally saw Logan last night!

What a powerful movie! Fantastic performances across the board!

Patrick Stewart should be nominated for best supporting actor. Final scene between Logan and X23 was perfect, as well as the final shot before screen goes black!

I sincerely hope that they reboot the X- Men franchise now. This was such a perfect finale for this version of the X- Men!

10-/10

Online Adami

« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2017, 11:59:12 PM »
Random fun fact about Wolverine.

His first two on-screen appearances were on Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends' episode "A Fire-Star is Born" and X-Men: Pryde of the X-Men, both in the 1980's. Each appearance was voices by a different actor, and for some unknown reason, both of them voiced with him an Australian accent.

So his first appearance was as an Australian, and his last appearance was by an Australian.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2017, 05:44:40 AM »
You think this will be Wolverine's "last" appearance?  Highly doubtful.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2017, 05:46:24 AM »
You think this will be Wolverine's "last" appearance?  Highly doubtful.

Not the last Wolverine. Last by Hugh Jackman on film.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2017, 07:11:35 AM »
I thought that Logan was amazing.

Did it make anyone else a little sad knowing that all the X-Men died all of a sudden and that their life's work was kind of for nothing? :lol

Anyhow, it will be a shame if the film doesn't get any Oscar nominations. It was truly amazing, not just for a comic book movie, but in general.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2017, 07:24:34 AM »
I have no interest in any of these films. X Men I mean. I enjoy the MCU enough.

But what was the final shot(s) that everyone is raving about ?

The Wiki synopsis says that it's a cross on Logan's grave re-arranged to make an X.

is that it ?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2017, 08:41:01 AM »

But what was the final shot(s) that everyone is raving about ?

The Wiki synopsis says that it's a cross on Logan's grave re-arranged to make an X.

is that it ?
Yes that is it. You're not going to feel anything when you read a synopsis of the entire movie. The final shot is perfect and very emotional when you couple it with watching the entire movie. It works great in context and is a perfect sendoff. This is one thing where the visual and audio combined makes for a powerful sentiment rather than a textual reading.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2017, 02:03:35 AM »
I enjoyed Logan a lot.  But First Class is still my favourite X-Men movie so far.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2017, 10:48:29 AM »
Finally saw it. What a fantastic movie. Great storytelling, phenominal acting all around. Ranks all the way up there with the best.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2017, 01:51:04 PM »
Just saw Logan. Easily the best X-Men film.