Author Topic: The X-Men Thread v. (****LOGAN DISCUSSION/SPOILERS****)  (Read 14317 times)

Offline jakepriest

Re: The X-Men Thread
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2016, 05:34:43 PM »
I admit I haven't seen the movie in quite some time, (for good reason) but wasn't she working with Stryker till the end? Or am I confused?

IIRC he was holding her sister hostage so she was basically forced to work for him.

Also the war collage are probably the best minutes of the X-Men franchise.  :hefdaddy

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2016, 05:44:22 PM »
I admit I haven't seen the movie in quite some time, (for good reason) but wasn't she working with Stryker till the end? Or am I confused?

IIRC he was holding her sister hostage so she was basically forced to work for him.

Also the war collage are probably the best minutes of the X-Men franchise.  :hefdaddy

And at any time she could have just told him to let her sister go.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2016, 07:38:42 PM »
^ Exactly.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2016, 08:34:12 PM »

And at any time she could have just told him to let her sister go.

Maybe they shot her with an amnesia bullet and she forgot she could do it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2016, 01:43:52 AM »
Yeah, Origins is really really bad. I didn't use to know who Deadpool was, so I always used to think that that was the coolest part of the movie, but that didn't help it since pretty much all the rest is awful.

Offline Cable

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 09:59:32 PM »
I didn't see it mentioned. What are people's views on what happens after Apocalypse? Singer I read somewhere feels this will be a conclusion of sorts. With his dirty laundry being aired, and Disney looming, I read between the lines that he is gone from directing at least.

What I am interested in is what Disney does. Full disclosure, the Xmen universe characters are by far my favorite group of comic people. I also am a Disney nut. However, I think the Mouse is milking everything way too much, and their continued expansion will have a peak.

So I want Disney to buy out 20th century's rights, or at least set up a Spider-Man like deal. It's clear that WB-DC is chasing Marvel. The first two Xmen IMO were the trend setters for building a universe, and now I feel fox is also going after the MCA. Fox overall has been hit and miss, mostly hit with Xmen. Miss seems to be the Fantastic 4 and Daredevil. Deadpool was the wildcard that drew Fox more bargaining power. But with the Spider-Man deal, maybe Fox feels they cannot go  for the WB-DC route fight against the mouse.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:07:47 PM by CableX »
---

Online Adami

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 10:11:43 PM »
The next X-Men movie will be set in the 90's. Which is getting ridiculous as the cast members aren't aging.
They are also making a New Mutants movie which will have Xavier (no idea which actor) in it. Plus a new Wolverine movie and Deadpool 2. Possibly an X-Force movie as well.

Fox ain't giving up those rights anytime soon. I wish Marvel would get them back too, but it's not going to happen. :(
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2016, 04:37:28 AM »
Fox are making good X-Men movies and I'm happy they have the rights. Marvel already has too much on their plate.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2016, 08:33:31 AM »
I don't see the X-Men rights reverting to Marvel any time soon.  And at this point, I don't think Marvel cares very much, especially since they get to use Spider-Man now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2016, 08:35:34 AM »
I just want to see an X Men meet Avengers movie so Scarlett Johansson and Jennifer Lawrence can do each other :yarr

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2016, 10:43:27 AM »
I just want to see an X Men meet Avengers movie so Scarlett Johansson and Jennifer Lawrence can do each other :yarr

The two most overrated actresses of this time imo.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2016, 11:04:48 AM »
 ???
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2016, 11:13:45 AM »

Yo Jakepriest, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but Beyonce is the most overrated actress of all time!

Sorry, I actually agree about Lawrence, so I couldn't have put her in the joke.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2016, 04:52:35 PM »
Honestly, I would not want Kevin Feige to get his hands on the X-Men. There's so many characters to explore for X-Men, adding them to the MCU is gonna make it feel very stuffed. I'm sure everyone wants to see a Wolverine/Hulk showdown. I want to see a Cyclops vs Mr Sinister showdown even more.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2016, 05:42:14 PM »

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2016, 06:52:33 PM »
Besides ur buns.........that is a real nice pussy

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2016, 06:53:29 PM »
Now it's all about hardwood floors.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2016, 06:54:54 PM »
 :rollin :lol :rollin priceless

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2016, 07:08:12 PM »

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2016, 07:24:38 PM »
smoking hot :hat

Offline Cable

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2016, 07:37:50 PM »
Honestly, I would not want Kevin Feige to get his hands on the X-Men. There's so many characters to explore for X-Men, adding them to the MCU is gonna make it feel very stuffed. I'm sure everyone wants to see a Wolverine/Hulk showdown. I want to see a Cyclops vs Mr Sinister showdown even more.

Not really having a strong a opinion on Feige one way or the other, part of my love for X-men is the giant nature of their universe. I honestly cannot comment on main Avengers characters, Spider-man's universe, nor DCs. To me, even though there are kind of the two main people (ProfX and Magneto), so many other characters were almost as important. If not more so at times. Apocalypse carved out a third perspective IMO that is different from Magneto. As much as I originally thought he was just the omnipotent bad guy, his back story seems to have provided motivation for his views now.

What I'm also saying is the X-men "universe" characters already live among the Avengers characters, right? So what is to say cameos here and there, or easter eggs is a bad thing? Oh shoot, that was Shatterstar in the background looking at Ironman! Or something that was in X2 if I remember when Lady Deathstrike was looking at file names of 2nd tier mutants. I still remember the first thing I said after X-men in 2000- the sky is the limit for this franchise if they do this right. I was so excited for the potential of all these characters. Luckily, they were able to retcon and refresh from the mis-steps of X3 and Origins.

The unfortunate thing for your view Accel is from what I follow with the Mouse, Disney/Iger probably wants to get X-men, and milk the fock out of it. They already are with the MCA, Pixar sequels, and are starting with Star Wars. Indiana Jones is having a fifth movie. The theme parks are whole other diamond mine, but obviously have merchandise tie ins. What is a factor here for 20th Century Fox- Disney owns Marvel merchandise. Go into a toy department, and let me know if you see anything for X-men. When I looked for Days Of Future Past, I saw nothing. From what I read, Fox cannot merchandise anything.

On the downside for Disney, ESPN is now creating a hole in their warchest, and last I knew ABC was number 2 or 3 in the big four broadcast networks. ESPN however, and maybe even broadcast TV is a symptom of the times, and shift in media consumption and interests. Comcast/NBC/Universal is the biggest media conglomerate still?, with I think Disney #2. However, the Mouse is printing $100,000.00 Woodrow Wilson notes with the MCA and SW. X-men would just be another explosion for them.

I will agree on Mr. Sinister! I think with Apocalypse comes him, so hopefully in the next couple of films.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:44:12 PM by CableX »
---

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2016, 08:28:49 AM »
What I'm also saying is the X-men "universe" characters already live among the Avengers characters, right?
Not on film, no.  The film rights belong to Fox.  In the world populated by mutants that is featured in the films, there are no Avengers or Spider-Man or Guardians of the Galaxy.  And there are not mutants in the Marvel Studios universe.

And it doesn't matter if Marvel WANTS the X-Men film rights back.  The way that those rights contracts are written, the rights revert to Marvel if "x" amount of time passes with the rights-holder not being involved in active production on a film.  That is how Marvel got back the film rights to characters like Daredevil and Ghost Rider - the rights-holders either couldn't get a new film started within the time span or just chose not to continue the series.  It is also why Sony rushed into production on The Amazing Spider-Man as a reboot after Sam Raimi decided not to make Spider-Man 4 - they knew that Spider-Man was such a big money-maker that they didn't want the rights to revert to Marvel.

The X-Men series of films has been pretty successful (financially) for Fox, so it doesn't appear as if they will ever go any real length of time without putting another film in production.  They keep the film rights as long as they want to keep making the films.

Offline Cable

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2016, 04:03:43 PM »
I guess I'm not explaining what I'm trying to get at fully. I know Fox would be fools to let the rights lapse, nor will they for Xmen.

As I noted, Disney is alot about monetization now. I don't know if Lucas was actively courting buyers, but Disney sunk 4 billion on that. A few years prior, Marvel was at least 2 billion if I remember. They carefully have set up both MCU and now SW to capitalize at least yearly with each franchise in massive amounts. Disney as soon as they bought Lucasfilm had a fully realized schedule, and have mostly followed it. When they bought Pixar, they put more sequels into the pipeline which was a point of contention for Pixar before the merge. It easy to see two of the cash cows were the chosen ones. Cars was not huge box office by comparison to some of the other Pixars, but the merchandise was all over a few years ago.

So i just feel Disney will go for a hostile take over. Or at the very least, the Spider-Man arrangement. They *just* rebooted that, basically to do it all over to fit with the MCU and milk the heck out of it.

Further, the theme parks have a recent example. Disney World lost huge ground to Universal and Harry Potter. So they make a deal with James Cameron to build World of Avatar to compete. This was pre Marvel explosion and Lucasfilm. At this point the deal doesn't look as smart. But Avatar did 2 billion? So I'm sure the sequels won't do terribly. And that will drive guests into the Animal Kingdom.

And take Epcot's Norway attraction. They are re-imagining that to fit the Frozen theme, which was/is mammoth with young girls. They had to do fast passes to meet Ana and Elsa because the wait was several hours.

So that's my view, although I am the clear only one.  :D They are already milking MCU to the tune of three films a year. Brining in Xmen would just create more IP to further that. Although, I do give some credence to what Spielberg said about analogizing super hero films to Westerns, and what happened to them.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:15:52 PM by CableX »
---

Online Adami

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2016, 04:05:32 PM »
I don't think Disney will try to buy the X-Men stuff. Right now (correct me if I'm wrong) but the highest grossing X-Men film is Deadpool, which is something Disney cannot and would not make. I just don't think there's enough profit in it for them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2016, 04:13:15 PM »
With Spider-Man, Sony had a good reason to partner with Marvel. They were butchering the character with the TASM movies, people didn't like those films (generally speaking) and the second one was not good at all. They needed the partnership because they had no idea what they were doing and it was a win-win for them, as well as Marvel.

Fox is not in the same situation. They have done a great job with X-Men and despite two flops (Wolverine Origins and Last Stand), they have managed to bounce back strong every time. As far as I'm concerned Fox doesn't have a weaker track record than Marvel with their MCU. You get a weaker movie and then you get a strong movie around the corner.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2016, 05:31:09 AM »
Regarding the X-Men movies, I think they're great. I especially enjoyed the more recent ones that go back to their beginnings. Fassbender as Magneto has been brilliant. He's probably still my favorite character in the X-Men series.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2016, 08:44:44 AM »
Yeah, by the structure of the rights deals, Disney CAN'T do a hostile takeover, so give up your fears.  They can certainly attempt to buy back the X-Men rights, if they want to do so and Fox agrees, but that will never, ever happen.  And frankly, Marvel doesn't NEED the X-Men in their MCU, so it's still not going to happen.

I would imagine they would MUCH rather have the Fantastic Four, and possibly Namor (although Kevin Feige has said they COULD use Namor now, but it would involve some red tape with Universal), than the X-Men.

Online Adami

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2016, 10:05:04 AM »
Yeah, by the structure of the rights deals, Disney CAN'T do a hostile takeover, so give up your fears.  They can certainly attempt to buy back the X-Men rights, if they want to do so and Fox agrees, but that will never, ever happen.  And frankly, Marvel doesn't NEED the X-Men in their MCU, so it's still not going to happen.

I would imagine they would MUCH rather have the Fantastic Four, and possibly Namor (although Kevin Feige has said they COULD use Namor now, but it would involve some red tape with Universal), than the X-Men.

Yea, I'm perfectly fine with Fox keeping X-Men, even if they have a record of screwing up a majority of the characters. I would love to see the FF universe go back though, especially Silver Surfer, Galactus and the Skrulls. Namor is also a great idea, once they figure out how to properly shoot underwater scenes, I really wasn't convinced they could do that with BvS.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cable

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2016, 08:47:51 PM »
---

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2016, 09:16:41 PM »
Actually I think this article is on the mark. I have a feeling the final battle with Apocalypse and the Four Horsemen is going to be massive. It's not saying that it's better or worse than Civil War. It's saying that there are more mutants fighting in this film than there were superheroes in Civil War

Online Adami

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2016, 09:19:36 PM »
Actually I think this article is on the mark. I have a feeling the final battle with Apocalypse and the Four Horsemen is going to be massive. It's not saying that it's better or worse than Civil War. It's saying that there are more mutants fighting in this film than there were superheroes in Civil War

I've read reports of people who have seen to really didn't care much for it. Best I got was "lots of stuff happening, none of it matters".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2016, 09:21:51 PM »
Probably. It's a do or die situation. The final battle in Civil War wasn't the big airport battle, which in hindsight probably didn't matter either, but it was a great scene. Civil War is a more personal story, and it deserved the more personal battle at the end ergo why I think the final fight in Days of Future Past is the best yet in the X-Men franchise. It was more relatable than say big messy The Last Stand battle  :lol

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2016, 02:41:30 PM »
I think adding the X-Men to the MCU would make it just way too crowded, so I'm fine with another company playing in that sandbox. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2016, 03:53:34 PM »
Just saw Apocalypse, I really liked it. To me it wasn't on par with Days of Future Past, but that's the best X-Men movie and a top5 superhero movie overall, so can't say I expected that. But I would probably put it on par with (or slightly over) First Class.

4 superhero movies into the year and only one has been bad so far. They showed the trailer for Suicide Squad before and that looks like a trainwreck as well. But at least we have Dr. Strange!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:19:16 AM by Zantera »

Offline Cable

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2016, 05:00:53 PM »
What I meant with the article is that Xmen by its nature is a large collection of mutants. So comparing it to something like Batman V Superman and not a lot of characters is a bit narrow sighted.
---