Author Topic: npiazza91 ranks every single Megadeth song (for real this time)  (Read 5725 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: npiazza91 ranks every single Megadeth song (for real this time)
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 03:58:25 PM »
When are you going to reveal the real #157?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 10:16:14 PM »
Wow, three songs that are a good 100+ places WAY too low.

Obviously Skin O' My Teeth is one, but what are the other two you are referring?  We The People and Diadems?

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 10:19:55 PM »
I knew Skin O' My Teeth was going to cause a lot of controversy.  But hey, that's part of what makes this so exciting.  Remember, I like every Megadeth album, even Risk and Super Collider.  Megadeth has not made a single dud of an album in my opinion.  I know for a fact that there's a few more placements on my list that is going to pretty much require me to get security guards working around my house.  Hope you all are enjoying it despite the differences.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2016, 10:22:07 PM »
enjoying it mate... but seriously are you high? :P SOMT must be one of the greatest Megadeth, nay, the greatest metal songs ever written.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2016, 10:49:36 PM »
enjoying it mate... but seriously are you high? :P SOMT must be one of the greatest Megadeth, nay, the greatest metal songs ever written.

I never got into it, nor do I see what is so special about it.  You don't think it's a bit too generic?  I don't know...the whole thing just falls a bit flat for me.  I don't dislike it, in fact I've seen them play it live both times I saw them and I enjoyed it a lot, but overall it just doesn't have that pull for me.  It's a bit by the numbers in my book.  But hey, opinions, right?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 10:57:01 PM »
It's one of my favorites from Countdown but isn't in my top Megadeth songs.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2016, 12:07:23 AM »
It isn't the best Deth song, but certainly shouldn't be that low IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2016, 12:53:09 AM »
hmmmm, okay I may be in the majority here.  i think its one of their best, definitely.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2016, 03:13:15 PM »
Wow, three songs that are a good 100+ places WAY too low.

Obviously Skin O' My Teeth is one, but what are the other two you are referring?  We The People and Diadems?
Diadems and Dawn Patrol.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Mladen

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2016, 03:18:00 AM »
I'm a huge fan of Skin O' My Teeth. It never bore me for even a second, it's entertaining and pure headbanging bliss throughout. Good call on Dawn patrol, though.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2016, 11:59:19 PM »
Updates are coming soon.  I'm just doing another run through the albums so I can confirm the upcoming songs to be knocked off.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2017, 01:12:49 AM »
Well...this has certainly been a long time coming.  I said I would finish it, didn't I hahaha?  So around the time when I completely dropped this, I had certain things going on in my life that kind of made a lot of things difficult for me.  It's actually one of the reasons why I started this list to begin with.  I needed a distraction, and doing this and committing a lot of time to it actually helped me a lot.  Long story short, things happened, things got better, I forgot about this completely and I moved on with my life.  But...I will say that I have gotten back into listening to a lot of Megadeth again and tonight I thought of this really crazy idea.  "Hey...why don't I rank every song Megadeth has ever made from worst to best".  Then when I was listening to them, it hit me...I've done this before, haven't I?  One thing led to another and...here I am.

So yeah I'm here guys hahaha.  I hope that the people that stuck around the last time will be back and that they still frequent this forum because I'm excited to get back into this again.  I'll give it a few days before I start posting more song rankings so that people can find this topic again and get back into it.  Plus I need to get everything together to continue my list anyway.

You know, I was looking back through my ranking and to be honest, I still pretty much agree with my choices...except for one.  I listened to Foreign Policy today and while I don't think it's amazing or anything, I think it should be like 20 spots higher actually.  It's not that bad, I don't know why I exaggerated how annoying the chorus was.  I'm not sure why I put Crush 'Em that low either.  I mean I don't like the song that much, I'm not defending it or anything, but it's practically near the bottom...just seems a little odd.  To be fair though, when I was doing this, I remember that I was 100% in "Megadeth mode" and I had multiple lists and rankings of each album and I noticed every little detail in every song and it was pretty intense.  So maybe after all the Mgadeth I was listening to Foreign Policy got on my nerves, and maybe Crush 'Em showed its flaws a lot more.  Eh...whatever.  Everything else, though, looks solid, and I'm ready to continue from where I left off.  Yeah it's a bit of a shame that my mind is in a different state than it was a year and a half ago and my opinions have probably changed over time, but to be fair I don't think it'll change that much.  The good news is that I have all of my lists that I had made saved on my computer because I made sure to save them.  So I will be continuing from that, making adjustments where I see fit.  I listened to four Megadeth albums today straight through and I was trying to rank the songs on each album individually as I listened to them and...yeah, Megadeth songs are impossible to rank.  They're just so damn good.  And they're not like Dream Theater where the songs are so long and you can find little things here and there to nitpick or really love...the songs are a lot more simple, so ranking them is much harder.

I'll be back in a few days after I start working on what songs I want to be knocked off next.  I thought about starting over, but nah...overall I like what I wrote the first time.  So Foreign Policy and Crush 'Em move up a bit?  So what?  By the way I apologize for diasappearing like that, but I hope Outcrier and wolfking and you other guys come back to the fold and continue watching this because I know I'm excited.

One last thing...Skin O' My Teeth.  Yes, I still feel the same exact way about that song.  Sorry guys, it just doesn't do much for me.  What I wrote is pretty much verbatim with how I feel about it right now.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:21:05 AM by npiazza91 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2017, 04:25:15 AM »
Bro, to be honest, I doubt any of us gave a second thought about this once you stopped doing this but yeah, I'll follow again for sure mate.  Cool that things worked out for you in the end.  It's wonderful how music can be such a positive distraction to the tough times in life.

Looking forward to 156 onwards.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2017, 04:16:06 PM »
156. Bullet to the Brain (Dystopia, 2016): Ok, so this song...just doesn't really do anything for me.  It has some of the weirdest verses I have ever heard in my life.  The riff is much more groove oriented than pretty much anything Megadeth has ever done and the vocals are very low and it almost sounds like he's mumbling.  Yeah, it doesn't really work too well.  It just sounds very disjointed.  Then the chorus comes in and it's quite catchy...the first time.  Then you hear it over and over again in the song and it starts to get kind of annoying...at least for me it does.  I will say that the solo is pretty awesome, but other than the solo, there's not much in this one that makes me want to listen to it again, especially for a band like Megadeth, which has so many awesome songs to pick from.

155. The Doctor is Calling (Risk, 1999): So I already mentioned previously that I'm not primarily a thrash guy.  I mean I love thrash, but i also love progressive metal, classic heavy metal, classic rock, progressive rock, etc...I enjoy all of it pretty much.  That is why I think Risk gets hated a bit too unfairly.  It's not the best Megadeth album, in fact it's one of the worst, but it's not a bad album at all.  So...I can actully dig a lot of the songs on this album.  This song, for example, has a very catchy verse section that you can't help but move your head to.  In fact, if the rest of the song lived up to the quality of the verses, this song would be 100+ spots higher probably (rough estimate).  However, the chorus...is just dreadful.  Hearing a few quiet guitar notes with Dave screaming "I HEAR THE DOCTOR CAWLINGGGGG" is just really really annoying, and he does it quite a bit in the song.  The solo section isn't too spectacular either, it's pretty basic and forgettable.  The song goes on for a bit too long as well.  Overall, I have a love/hate relationship with this song because I really do like the verses quite a bit.  As one last side note, the first 20 seconds of this song actually scares me.  You know, when the little girl says "Daddyyyyy.  The doctor is calling" with those creepy ghost notes backing it up.  Yeah, that always creeped me out.

154. Absolution (Bonus Track): This was a bonus song released with the remastered version of Youthanasia.  Basically, it's a full instrumental song of the quiet middle section of the song "Trust" and...it's not bad actually.  I mean it's not great, but there's nothing really wrong with it.  I quite like when the first heavy notes drop, it sounds pretty badass.  Overall, it's quite a nice sounding little instrumental track.  You could tell that Dave and the band were merely experimenting with different ideas because this song sounds more like a small experiment song than anything else.  It doesn't really have a focus, it sounds like they had a couple ideas for some riffs and they wanted to see what worked and what didn't.  But yeah it sounds quite nice and they eventually did use the intro section in "Trust" so I guess it was a success.

153. Conquer or Die! (Dystopia, 2016): Another instrumental knocked off.  I had a lot of trouble deciding if I liked this one better or Absolution, because for me they were pretty much equal, but in the end I went with this one.  This song just shreds a lot more and while Absolution does sound really nice at times, the solos in this song kick it over the edge for me.  Again, it's not anything special for me (it's no "Into the Lungs of Hell" by any means) but I do really appreciate the guitar work here.  You can distinctly here Kiko's style that he brought to the band with his guitar playing in this song

152. Forget to Remember (Super Collider, 2013): It's been a while since a Super Colldier song has been knocked off, which pretty much means that I only find two of the songs on that album to be "bad" and for what I think is Megadeth's worst album, that really shows you how much I love this band.  So...this song is kind of generic.  The lyrics are really nice, they're about Dave's mother actually, and this song shows that Dave knows how to write emotional lyrics.  The chorus is quite catchy and if you like more commercial style rock, you might really dig this song.  However, the chorus alone isn't enough to move it any higher.  The verses have a very forgettable "pop punk" style riff that bores me to tears, and the solo is nothing special either.  Right before the end the song picks up a little and gets SLIGHTLY thrashy, which is kind of interesting, but it's not enough to save it from anything more than maybe a few spots.  Like I said, the vocals and lyrics here are really good, and the chorus is quite catchy in a commerical rock sort of way, it's just the verses are so generic that I can't really enjoy this one as much as I would be able to otherwise.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2017, 07:44:01 PM »
Another two fan favorites may get eliminated pretty soon.  Right now I have a short list of 18 songs, and there's two fan favorites in here.  Not sure exactly where they stand in this group of 18 yet, but one or both may get knocked off tonight.  One of them is a song that I always felt was overrated in the band's discography, and the other is a song that everyone seems to love and I have no idea why...I won't say any more than that right now.  Megadeth is definitely the kind of band where, once you get past "the hits" and you hear what lies underneath, you find that they ahve so many songs that are of equal quality or even better.  Not in all cases, but definitely some.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2017, 08:11:08 PM »
Hey man

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2017, 08:21:03 PM »
Hey man
What's up man.  I'm about to post the next five songs, I was just listening to a bunch of these songs multiple times to get my order correct.  This is NOT easy to do hahaha but it's coming along.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2017, 08:44:57 PM »
Wait what my post didn't work? Well, here it is:

Megadeth was one of my favourite bands in my teenage years. So hope you don't mind my 2 cents.

So I loved Megadeth back in my high school years. And to by fair, Dave without Marty isn't much. Mr. Friedman is a an amazing guitarist, and I think it's sad Megadeth didn't do more Dave/Marty guel duel soloes when they had a chance (I blame Dave sucking up to record labels), but it's a topic for another day.  ;D

To be honest, Diadems is a top 10 song for me. It has an amazing two-guitar melody, doomy feel and a kickbutt riff two go by with it. If you ask me, it really captures the apocalyptic feeling better than any other Megadeth song! I feel sorry it had no room on Youthanasia. "This song ain't over til' the fat lady dies!"

Absolution is a gorgeous piece, even though it's a bit wasted in a dud like The Doctor Is Calling.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 08:50:18 PM by Ruba »

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2017, 08:45:50 PM »
151. Me Hate You (Bonus Track): This was a bonus song released with the Japanese version of Dystopia.  Why?  I have absolutely no idea.  Anyway, yeah this song's not too bad.  It has interesting riffs and some pretty damn good solo work by Kiko, but overall the song isn't really anything special.  It's not really catchy or memorable at all.  But like I said the riffs are pretty cool.  However, in the grand scheme of things, I'm not going to remember this song, it's just so filler.  There's a reason why I had to listen to it every single day for almost the past week to find a place for it on this list.  I've held out wth it so far because there's nothing really bad about it...it's just so forgettable.  Also, this might be the worst title ever for a Megadeth song.  It's sounds like a title that Taylor Swift would come up with.

150. Beginning of Sorrow (Super Collider, 2013): Like the other Super Collider song that I knocked off recently, I have a love/hate relationship with this song.  In "Forget to Remember", the chorus was pretty good but the verses weren't that great.  This song is the complete opposite.  The verses are pretty cool overall, a very dark guitar sound with some cool vocals from Dave.  But the chorus is just so boring.  A boring riff with Dave saying "Beginning of Sorowwwww" in the most motontone, drawled out voice imaginable.  The solo is pretty crazy at first, then it calms down a bit, but overall I like it.  Seriously, the chorus brings this song down about 50 spots I'm not gonna lie.  If it wasn't for the chorus this would be a pretty great song.  As it stands, this song is just ok.

149. The Emperor (Dystopia, 2016): This song actually marks a distinct change in this ranking.  So far we have only done songs that I thought were complete shit all the way up to "just ok".  Now we're crossing that threshold into the "I like it" category.  From here on out, every single song I genuinely like, and if I rated every song from here on out out of 10, they would all get at least a 6.  So...this song is quite interesting.  It's not great, but it's not bad.  I quite like the verse riff, it sounds like a metal version of Rock Lobster and I will always continue to say that.  The soloing is pretty cool here.  The chorus is kind of "meh", which definitely holds this song back.  This isn't a song I would willingly listen to when listening to this album as it's kind of a weaker link, but it's definitely not bad either.

148. Moto Psycho (The World Needs a Hero, 2001): This was a song that the more I listened to it, the more I thought it sounded kind of generic.  Apparently this song was a single when it came out and now I understand why.  It's pretty much the same thing the entire time, and while that doesn't mean it's bad by any means, it's also not anything really special.  The verses are...cool.  The chorus is...ok.  But the chorus also continues for most of the song and starts to get slightly annoying by the end.  I'm sure this would get me pumped if they ever played it live (because it's Megadeth), and I do find it quite catchy at times, but Megadeth has much better songs.

147. Dystopia (Dystopia, 2016): Ok guys here it is.  One of the fan favorites I was telling you about.  This song...I don't get why some people think it's the best on the album and I certainly don't understand why it won a Grammy.  I just don't get it.  Yes, the solos here are absolutely awesome and are the one reason why this song is as high as it is, but the verses are...pretty weak.  Dave's voice sounds terrible and the verse riff is very generic.  The chorus would be forgettable if not for the crazy solos thrown in there, which do admittedly sound cool.  Kiko is an absolute beast.  The song kicks up a bit in the second half with a pretty cool riff, but it's not enough to make me love this song.  It's not bad, but it felt like they were trying to make another Hangar 18 with this one, and...it's not nearly as good or memorable.  Pretty cool, I guess, but doesn't really do much for me.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:25:24 PM by npiazza91 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2017, 03:35:12 AM »
So many Dystopia songs knocked off above, can't agree with any of them I'd say, WTF?  One of the best albums Megadeth have done IMO.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2017, 09:21:59 AM »
So many Dystopia songs knocked off above, can't agree with any of them I'd say, WTF?  One of the best albums Megadeth have done IMO.

For me, Dystopia was a very mixed bag.  Thankfully, we shouldn't see another Dystopia song on this list for a while now that all the "weak tracks" (in my opinion) are out of the way.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »
Wait what my post didn't work? Well, here it is:

Megadeth was one of my favourite bands in my teenage years. So hope you don't mind my 2 cents.

So I loved Megadeth back in my high school years. And to by fair, Dave without Marty isn't much. Mr. Friedman is a an amazing guitarist, and I think it's sad Megadeth didn't do more Dave/Marty guel duel soloes when they had a chance (I blame Dave sucking up to record labels), but it's a topic for another day.  ;D

To be honest, Diadems is a top 10 song for me. It has an amazing two-guitar melody, doomy feel and a kickbutt riff two go by with it. If you ask me, it really captures the apocalyptic feeling better than any other Megadeth song! I feel sorry it had no room on Youthanasia. "This song ain't over til' the fat lady dies!"

Absolution is a gorgeous piece, even though it's a bit wasted in a dud like The Doctor Is Calling.

Absolution is in Trust, not The Doctor is Calling  ;D

But yeah the weird thing about being such a huge Megadeth fa is that we always have unconventional songs in our top 10.  There might be a song in my top 10 that is #150 on someone else's list...that's just how Megadeth is.  But like I said...almost two years ago  :lol Diadems isn't a bad song.  For me personally, it's just very filler.  But I'm glad you like it!

For the record I still have no idea what my top 10 is going to be.  Right now I'm not really focused on the great songs yet, it's easier for me to pick the weaker ones out of the ones I have left and go from there.  Right now I have 13 more songs that I don't feel some kind of pull for, and after that it's going to get more difficult.  Like I said every song from here on out I like, but it won't be long until I'm saying "it's great".  Most Megadeth somgs are great in my eyes.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2017, 11:30:36 AM »
The title track for Dystopia and Diadems should be much, much higher!   This is going to be a fun thread to read - Megadeth has way too many great songs (and plenty of clunkers), so I have no idea how I'd objectively try to rank them. 

If I did this list, the entire bottom would be all of Supercollider, except for Kingmaker and Cold Sweat, and most of Risk. 

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »
The title track for Dystopia and Diadems should be much, much higher!   This is going to be a fun thread to read - Megadeth has way too many great songs (and plenty of clunkers), so I have no idea how I'd objectively try to rank them. 

If I did this list, the entire bottom would be all of Supercollider, except for Kingmaker and Cold Sweat, and most of Risk.
If I was going for any sort of objectivity here this list would be MUCH different.  There are plenty of songs that I enjoy more that I know aren't really the best written songs.  So don't take it too harsh if  song you like is low, it's just my personal opinion on how much I enjoy it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »

If I was going for any sort of objectivity here this list would be MUCH different.  There are plenty of songs that I enjoy more that I know aren't really the best written songs.  So don't take it too harsh if  song you like is low, it's just my personal opinion on how much I enjoy it.

I know it's your personal opinion, which is why I'll enjoy reading the thread.  I just know I'm going to disagree with a lot of it.   :)

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2017, 08:23:39 PM »
146. High Speed Dirt (Countdown to Extinction, 1992): Like "Skin O' My Teeth", I find this song rather dry sounding.  In fact, I think this is a problem on the album in general and leads me to my belief that it's their most overrated album.  I think the bass is too thick and the guitar is too thin...this leads to a very dry, metallic sound.  You can't really tell in songs with a lot of chords, but in the faster paced songs like these, you can tell immediately.  I think this is a good song, don't get me wrong, but I think it just doesn't sound very good on this particular album.  The opening is great, the riffs are fast and kind of crazy, but the longer the song goes on the more I start to get a bit bored.  It almost brings me back with the little acoustic section near the end (which is awesome), but then it loses me again.  It's a decent enough song, but it just doesn't have that "oompf" for me that Megadeth usually brings.

145. A Tout Le Monde (Youthanasia, 1994): Ok guys, let the hating commence.  The first song on Youthanasia has been dethroned and it is the most popular song on the album.  Yeah...Megadeth just has better ballads in my opinion.  I will say that the lyrics are pretty great and the two solos are decent enough, but there just isn't enough other things in the song that makes me want to keep listening.  It's pretty standard and by the numbers, and I can even appreciate a more generic sounding song if the song was catchy enough for me to sing along to and really get into the groove of it all, but this song doesn't do that for me.  I'm one of those peopel that thinks Youthanasia is probably their most underrated album because I love it a lot, so maybe that's why this song has never sat well with me...there's just better songs surrounding it.  Kind of like why the third album was never appreciated that much by fans because it sits in between their two biggest albums.  But yeah, not much else to say here.  It's a good song, but unfortunately it has to be this far down for me.

144. Whose Life (Is it Anyways?) (Thirteen, 2011): This was a song that I really disliked when the album first came out, but time has been very kind to this song.  I really dig the pre chorus and the chorus, however the verses never sat well with me.  They sound very dull and uninteresting, and it does not fit Dave's voice at all.  Still, that being said, I really do like the chorus a lot and I can definitely jam out to that part when I'm in my car.  I wish I can put it higher, but there's not much else in the song that really grabs me.

143. I Ain't Superstitious (Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?, 1986): The first song from Peace Sells has been dethroned, and if I'm not mistaken, it's also the last album to have a song dethroned from this list.  I think we can call this a milestone!  Yeah...this song's not bad.  It's clearly the weakest song on this album, it always has been and always will be.  I really do like the solos here, some of them are fantastic, and the last minute or so is just crazy high octane insanity...but if you listen to the rest of the album, most of the songs actually do have a section like this near the end.  But still, as far as this list in concerned, it's the best song on here so far.  It might be a short song, it might not be up to par with the rest of the album, but it's certainly not Megadeth's worst.

142. I'll Get Even (Cryptic Writings, 1997): Fun little easter egg for you guys.  Unless I am mistaken, this is the first batch of songs that features no bonus songs, and also the first batch of songs to feature one song from five different studio albums.  That's pretty cool.  Anyway...I don't think I mentioned this previously, but Cryptic Writings was my third studio album that I ever owned by Megadeth, and I got into the band when I was 15, so...for the past 11 years I have had this album, so most of the songs are very nostalgic to me, this one included.  This is one of those songs that when I think about in my head...it's better than it actually is when I listen to it.  Let me just say that I really love the chorus and the pre chorus here.  The lick that Dave does right before the chorus is awesome, and Dave's voice is on point here.  However...the verses.  The verses, quite honestly, are just plain BORING.  Also, the song takes a little while to get going, and it doesn't really capture my interest until the first pre chorus hits.  This is a song with some pretty cool highs but also some very low lows, and because of those lows and how often they come up in the song, I can't put this song any higher.  However, I do like this song quite a bit (because of that pre chorus/chorus), so we are definitely moving up the ranks here.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2017, 01:06:32 AM »
I Ain't Superstitious always reminded me of part of the soundtrack off the old Sega Mega Drive game, Road Rash. I would personally rank it way higher. Also, as others have said, I'd  put most songs off Dystopia way higher!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 12:05:55 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2017, 04:15:41 AM »
Not really agreeing with a few from that latest batch, but I guess some songs have to be down the bottom regardless.

Offline DTA

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2017, 04:22:46 AM »
Hmmm, interesting list so far! I agree with some of it and disagree with a lot of it. I Ain’t Superstitious is without a doubt my least favorite recording they’ve ever done, just beating out Problems. I’m seriously curious how you think it’s better than the ones that came before, but I appreciate the write ups and detail.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2017, 07:22:57 AM »
Not really agreeing with a few from that latest batch, but I guess some songs have to be down the bottom regardless.
Yeah exactly, and trust me...you have no idea how difficult this is to do.  With a band that has almost 200 songs, where I actually do like 90% of them...some songs simply have to be "low" by process of elimination, and it's unfortunate, because I see a song like "I Ain't Superstitious" with the number 143 attached to it and it looks so bad, but really, anything from like #160 and up I would enjoy listening to.  It's just that Megadeth is my favorite band of all time, so there's like 100+ songs that are all pretty much top tier music for me, so the standards for this band are simply higher than others.

A band like Dream Theater is much easier to rank because their songs are so long and so varied that there's goign to be things that stick out that you really like or really don't like, so it's much easier to weight their pros and cons.  DT is a very "love it or hate it" kind of band when it comes to their songs.  Megadeth songs are much more simpler and much more direct with what they're doing (not to mention there's like twice as many songs), and to be honest, when we get to like the top 50 or so...I really can't tell you which songs I like better than others because at that point I love them all.  I still have absolutely no idea which song will make number 1 at this point, since I'm working primarily from bottom to top.  I'm not even trying to think about the best songs yet.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2017, 07:28:13 AM »
Hmmm, interesting list so far! I agree with some of it and disagree with a lot of it. I Ain’t Superstitious is without a doubt my least favorite recording they’ve ever done, just beating out Problems. I’m seriously curious how you think it’s better than the ones that came before, but I appreciate the write ups and detail.
I used to hate I Ain't Superstitious too, but time has been very kind to that song for me.  Like I said in my write up, it's not a great song by any means, but I do think it's a good song.  Yeah the song is...kind of bizzarre for Megadeth, but you have to admit the solos and guitar work are just insane.  I appreciate music with a lot of skill behind it and technical ability even if the song doesn't necessarily sound the greatest (which is why I can really appreciate some of DT's stranger songs), so my point is that basically if that song didn't have any solos and didn't have that fast part at the end...I mean we'd be looking at bottom 10 probably.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2017, 08:19:00 AM »
141. Time: The Beginning (Risk, 1999): This is a quite a nice little sounding sound we have here.  Dave's voice sounds great, the melody is really catchy and emotional, and...yeah I enjoy this song.  The reason why it's so low is because it doesn't really do anything else.  It's just the verses and...not much else.  This song could have been improved a lot more if they changed it up a bit and had a solo or something.  There is a little bit of soloing in there, but it's while Dave is singing, so it doesn't really count as a proper solo.  Overall, it's a good song that sounds quite nice, but it could have been so much more.

140. Losing My Senses (The World Needs a Hero, 2001): This is just a really chill song to listen to.  Dave almost sounds like he's bored here, but not in a bad way if that makes sense.  He sings with an almost "I don't care" attitude, but it actually lends itself quite nicely to this song, which has a very chill beat to it.  All instruments are pretty relaxed here and I can definitely enjoy this song as just something to sit back and chill out to, but because this song doesn't stand out as anything more than that, I can't put it any higher.  I definitely like the drum beat here and the verse riff is quite nice.  Not bad at all.

139. Don't Turn Your Back (Super Collider, 2013): I don't know what it is about Super Collider, but that album somehow manages to make really cool songs sound boring.  This song might be the most thrashy song on the album, but it somehow manages to not sound like a thrash song at all.  It almost feels afraid to be thrash.  It has to be something with the mixing on this album, but I can't really tell what it is.  Anyway, yeah, the verses here are pretty awesome.  Despite the fact that the riff doesnt sound as thrashy as it could be, it still sound spretty cool and I like the slight variation the riff goes through every couple of measures.  Dave's voice sounds great here in the verses, very dark and evil.  The chorus...is ok, but nothing special to me.  The solo is also nothing spectacular.  Overall, the verses definitely hint that the great Megadeth is still in there somewhere, but it does feel like it doesn't want to be that Megaadeth, and that is exactly the problem with this song and the album as a whole.  Good song, but also a bit of a disappointment, because this one could have been awesome.

138. Time: The End (Risk, 1999): Ok, here we go.  This song might be the biggest combination of absolutely amazing and complete shit in the entire Megadeth discography.  The opening riff is EASILY the greatest, most badass riff on the entire album, and it's NOT EVEN CLOSE.  Man, I love that riff so much, and that riff alone is more badass than anything in any song up to this point in this list.  The solo is also pretty amazing, with some crazy guitar work...as far as the guitar is concerned, Megadeth was absolutely on point here.  However...now comes the shit.  The vocals.  Oh my God, the vocals are absolutely terrible.  The chorus in this song is one of the WORST sections to come out of any Megadeth song.  "Beat the clock" being repeated over and over again is so annoying and...I honestly have no words for it.  Yes, it is worse than "Frantic tic tic tic tic tic TOCK!".  That part in Frantic is stupid and cringworthy, but I'm sorry, this is just so much worse.  If this song was an instrumental, it would be WAY higher, possibly even cracking the top 50, maybe even higher actually.  I love Dave as a vocalist, I always have, but in this song he is absolutely terrible, without a doubt his worst vocal performance in the entire Megadeth discography.  I don't have much else to say about this song, I just wish things were done differently.  But I can't put it any lower because I just love the riffs and solos in his song so much.  Sigh...

137. Mastermind (Cryptic Writings, 1997): I feel like this song could have been a lot better with some more refined tuning.  The verses are...servicable, not bad overall.  The riff is decent enough, kind of filler, but whatever.  Dave's voice in the verses is pretty great and it sounds like he's going more and more insane the longer the song goes on, which is really cool.  The highlight of this song comes from the bridge riff right before the solo.  I love that riff so much, and it's too bad it only lasts less than 10 seconds.  This song is a case of "some really neat ideas, but the whole package is a little underwhelming".  The chorus isn't bad either and neither is the solo.  Nothing in this song is bad, and it's definitely catchy in parts, but I think this song would have been better if they did a few more interesting things with it.  It does feel a little bit filler.  I do like this song, don't get me wrong, but something's gotta go and we're definitely getting to the good stuff soon.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:26:56 AM by npiazza91 »

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2017, 11:56:16 PM »
136. Off the Edge (Super Collider, 2013): This is not a bad song right here.  It's pretty much as middle of the road as you can get.  The chorus does kind of repeat too much by the end, but it's not really annoying.  I really do like the guitar work here in the verses especially.  Overall, to be honest...not much else to say here.  But I think I finally realized why Super Collider is my least favorite Megadeth album.  The songs are just so damn generic.  They're not BAD necessarily, they just all sound like they have zero confidence in their ability to be awesme and badass.  This song, for example, could have been awesome with a few minor tweaks...but it ends up being just average.  You'll see what I mean if you listen to Super Collider all the way through.  Some of the songs on there just blend together with each other.

135. Melt the Ice Away (Bonus Song): You know...I've had this song in my "next to eliminate" section for...I don't know about 30 spots probably.  The thing is, every time I hear it that damn solo blows me out of the f***ing water.  The song is...ok...decent enough in the first half.  But when they solo comes in...WOW, that shit is AWESOME.  Other than the solo, there's not much that grabs me here and it's kind of "meh", but that solo is...I can listen to that thing for hours.  So yeah, a pretty weak song, but an amazing solo that knocks heads off.

134. Killing is My Business (Killing is My Business...and Business is Good!, 1985): This is one of those songs that I have never "cared for" compared to some of the other songs on the album and I can't explain why.  It's a good song, don't get me wrong, but...hm...everything about it just sounds so...AWKWARD.  The verses are awkward.  The chorus (or lack of a chorus until the end?) is awkward.  This song doesn't even follow a regular song structure...it doesn't even follow a non song structure, it honestly doesn't follow anything.  It has its verse riff, then kind of just does what it wants until the last minute or so when the best part of the song comes in (in my opinion).  The instruments here are on fire and I love the techical skill they portray in this song...but the actual sound of the song is a little lacking.  I do like it, but it just sounds too awkward and disjointed.  There's nothing to really latch on to here other than musicianship.  This song is like if you're on a really awesome ride with a very annoying seatbelt that keeps pinching you in a weird place.  I know this song is pretty popular among fans but I could never get into it as much as some of the other ones on this album.

133. Something That I'm Not (The System Has Failed, 2004): Wow, I can't believe we're starting to knock out songs that are...actually good.  Granted, this song isn't great.  I fact, it's extremely repetitive with its guitar riff that starts to really annoy me by the end, but taking in the whole package, it's quite a good, solid song.  I quite like the lyrics here, it's Dave being mad at everything, as usual, which is always fun.  I happen to really like the solo here quite a bit, the solo in this song always stuck out for me.  Not for its speed necessarily (even though it's quite fast), but because it actually sounds pretty nice.  I think this solo is just very well constructed all around.  So yeah I do like this song, that guitar riff just kind of gets on my nerves after a while.  The chorus is the only break from it, but by the end I'm kind of irritated by it.  Just imagine four different power chords (I think they're power chords) at 103BPM playing as 16th notes.  Now imagine them playing in quick succession three times for a total of 12 notes, then imagine it stopping for one beat.  Now imagine that like 100 times in a row, over and over again.  So if every letter is a note with four letters per beat it's like qwerqwerqwer    qwerqwerqwer    qwerqwerqwer.  Yeah...it gets really annoying.  Trust me.  It's a shame, because otherwise this song is awesome.

132. Return to Hangar (The World Needs a Hero, 2001): You know, if you told me like 5 hours ago that I would be getting rid of "Return to Hangar" tonight, or even any time soon, I would have said "you're crazy".  Truth be told, this song was nowhere near my elimination list.  However, I decided to come up with a bright idea tonight.  I decided to pick my least favorite song off of each album that so far hasn't been eliminated and I would listen to all of them and rank them from worst to best.  All I knew at the time was that Return to Hangar was my least favorite song that was left on this album.  Well...this song did not do very well in the ranking obviously.  When I listened to it again I was like "is this really Return to Hangar?".  I have this song pretty much memorized (most Megadeth songs I have nearly memorized), however this is a classic case of "it sounds 100 times better in your head than when you listen to it".  So yeah, the flaws stuck out to me big time.  First off, it's not Hangar 18, it's not even close to Hangar 18.  Why are you trying to be Hangar 18?  Stop it.  You're embarrassing yourself.  Enough with the Hangar 18.  This song just screams "shitty direct to DVD sequel".  Ok, this song is far from shitty, in fact it's a really good song with some aesome parts that pump me up, but...it just doesn't sound quite as badass as it could.  Also the whole "sequel" thing really cheapens the whole experience.  Literaly everything this song tries to do, Hangar 18 did better.  Still, Hangar 18 is hard to beat in general, so that doesn't mean this song is bad by any means.  The verses are cool and catchy, the chorus is...decent I guess.  The solos are nice, but nothing special.  The best part comes from the thrash section near the end.  God, this album needed something like that.  It's a prety awesome section, and it leads into the end of the song quite nicely.  Still, as cool as this song is...Hangar 18 did it first, and it did it better.  Much better.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:11:19 AM by npiazza91 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2017, 04:14:34 AM »
You know, if you told me like 5 hours ago that I would be getting rid of "Return to Hangar" tonight, or even any time soon, I would have said "you're crazy".  Truth be told, this song was nowhere near my elimination list.  However, I decided to come up with a bright idea tonight.  I decided to pick my least favorite song off of each album that so far hasn't been eliminated and I would listen to all of them and rank them from worst to best.  All I knew at the time was that Return to Hangar was my least favorite song that was left on this album. 

So you have no forward planning or anything penned down in terms of rankings at all in preperation for any of this?

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2017, 01:00:02 PM »
You know, if you told me like 5 hours ago that I would be getting rid of "Return to Hangar" tonight, or even any time soon, I would have said "you're crazy".  Truth be told, this song was nowhere near my elimination list.  However, I decided to come up with a bright idea tonight.  I decided to pick my least favorite song off of each album that so far hasn't been eliminated and I would listen to all of them and rank them from worst to best.  All I knew at the time was that Return to Hangar was my least favorite song that was left on this album. 

So you have no forward planning or anything penned down in terms of rankings at all in preperation for any of this?
No I do, I have every album ranked individually and I have a shortlist of my least favorite among those, with some bonus songs thrown in there too because I constantly need refreshers on how I feel about those.  Every time I get ready to do another elimination, I go back and I re listen to every song on the shortlist.  However, there are certain songs that I don't even have to listen to because I know for sure they wouldn't be eliminated.  But at this point all the weak songs are out, and we're actually getting to some good stuff.  So to basically make sure that I haven't overlooked any song (remember there's still 130 songs...it's very easy to overlook something), I went back yesterday and I picked my least favorite (and in some cases second least favorite also) from every album and I listened to them, ranking them (eliminated songs don't count obviously).  From this list I picked the worst, then whatever song that was, I went back to their album and compared that album's next worst song to the song that was next in my ranking.  Return to Hangar is one that completely surprised me because up to this point I had it in my head of "that's not being eliminated any time soon", but when I listened to it, I was like "this isn't as good as I'm thinking it is in my head".  The point of what I'm saying is I mean I literally can't listen to every single Megadeth song every sngle day.  Most of these songs I have to take on faith with the fact that I like them more than most other songs.  At this point, any song I don't "love" goes on the shortlist and needs to be re listened to.  There's a different standard now for "worst" than there was 30 spots ago.  Trust me, man, I'm putting a ton of effort into this to make sure it's in the right order.  But remember, I'm not spending 8 hours to listen to every Megadeth song every time I go to do a ranking.  The system I have takes about an hour to an hour and a half each day before I start doing the writeups.  So far I think I'm doing really good, the order looks great to me.

You have to realize that I love most Megadeth songs.  This list is so difficult to do because some songs I simply do not like or dislike better or worse than others, and I have to really stretch a bit to find a reason for putting one (or several) song(s) about others.  Megadeth is pretty consistent overall with their songs.  I mean we're already at the point in this list where every song from here on out is better than anything on the radio, and better than a lot of stuff by other bands.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 01:09:01 PM by npiazza91 »