Author Topic: npiazza91 ranks every single Megadeth song (for real this time)  (Read 5709 times)

Offline npiazza91

Hey guys, you might remember from a few months ago when I made a topic saying I was going to rank every Megadeth song, then I pretty much disappeared off the face of the earth.  Well it so happens that I dropped my laptop in a giant puddle outside of my apartment and, well...I haven't had a consistent means to use the internet until very recently.  Not only that, but I lost all of my work that I had put into making this list and I pretty much got set back to day 1.

Ok, now I really want to give you guys this list, it's been way too long already.  I'm approaching things a little differently this time.  I learned a few things while making my list for the first time.  This list is never going to be exact.  Megadeth is up there with Dream Theater as my favorite band of all time, and my list of favorites is constantly changing, made even worse by the fact that Megadeth has a lot more songs than DT does.  When it comes to the top tier of Megadeth, it's like asking me what my favorite episode of Seinfeld is...I have NO idea.  In fact, my top 25 are all going to be fairly equal to each other, but I will try my best to come up with an order that I feel is most appropriate.  Since I lost all my work, I decided to start from the bottom as far as making my list goes.  Since I recently listened to their entire discography 3 times for my original list, most of the songs are still fresh in my mind.  So I went on wikipedia and looked for what I felt was the worst 10 songs they have ever done, including bonus tracks...anything that isn't live.  To be honest, it was tough.  Surprisingly, there are only a few that I actually don't like.  I have my bottom 10 right now and tomorrow I will start posting with the bottom 5.  Keep in mind that I still have a lot of work to do, and I won't be posting every day.  I still have to do go through each album again, maybe even twice and start from scratch.  Today I did another run through Super Collider and Dystopia since those albums aren't as fresh as the others.  I also gave the bonus songs and "other" tracks a spin.  For now, I'll do the bottom 10 in the first few days, but I need some time to do my list.  I just wanted to get something out for you guys since I went MIA for a few months.

I'll see you guys tomorrow with the first set of songs.  186 songs total (I REALLY hope I got that number right)...this will be fun.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:57:02 AM by npiazza91 »

Offline npiazza91

Re: npiazza91 ranks every single Megadeth song (for real this time)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:06:32 PM »
Ok here we go.  I am ready to present the first 5 songs on my Megadeth countdown.  Keep in mind, I like all kinds of rock and metal, so I am not biased towards the thrash aspect of Megadeth or anything else they did.

186. Capitol Punishment (Capitol Punishment Compilation Album): What...the...hell...is...this?  No, seriously, what is this?  Why did they decide to make this?  Ok, let me break it down for you.  This "song" (if you can even call it that) is Megadeth's version of a clip show.  All it is, is a collection of random riffs from many Megadeth songs one after another, complete with the absolute WORST transition sounds I have ever heard in my entire life.  This song gave me a headache and was simply disgusting to listen to.  There is no rhyme of reason as to why they decided to do this, but this is the worst thing the band has ever done...BY FAR.

185. Built For War (Super Collider, 2013): When I was looking through all of the Megadeth songs this past week, looking for a bottom 10, there was a ton of songs that I had to pass up, because even though I didn't care for them, I knew instantly they weren't bottom 10 material.  Like I said yesterday, there are very few Megadeth songs I actually dislike.  This was one of those songs that I hadn't listened to in a while, but I remember not liking it.  So I thought "how bad could it be"...I found out.  It's bad.  Really bad.  The entire song is simply ugly, the riffs, the verse, the chorus, everything.  The main verse riff is migraine inducing.  I can't even say anything good about the solo either.  I often say that Super Collider gets hated a bit unfairly...it's a good album.  But this...this is just horrible.  The only reason this isn't at the very bottom, is because it's actually a song, despite how terrible it is.  I hate this song with a passion.

184. The World Needs a Hero (The World Needs a Hero, 2001): I have never liked this song at all.  It's just...boring.  From the boring verses with the annoying vocals to the cringe inducing chorus...this song is not my cup of tea.  It's not nearly as bad as "Built For War", but it's still pretty bad.  I will never voluntarily listen to this song unless I need to for something like this.  The song is weird, boring, and annoying all at the same time.  I don't like it.  Next.

183. Amerikhastan (United Abominations, 2007): Yuck.  I want to listen to music, not the news.  I actually enjoy how United Abominations delves into the whole political aspect a lot, but this...this is just WAY too much.  It's literally just Dave talking with a backdrop of riffs that don't fully connect.  The only good thing I can say is that some of the riffing is pretty cool.  Still, I have no desire to listen to this song, as it's easily one of the worst songs they have ever done.  I don't despise it though, so at least we're getting somewhere.

182. Silent Scorn (The World Needs a Hero, 2001): Technically not really a song, it's more just an intro to "Return to Hangar".  Being an intro, it's kind of just...there.  It doesn't do anything for me, good or bad.  I skip it pretty much every time, as this song is practically invisible to me.  But hey, from now on I don't dislike any Megadeth song, so yay!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 08:17:10 PM »
I don't think Built For War deserves to be that low.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 09:36:54 PM »

I hear you, I knew this ranking was going to be divisive.  I like straight up rock and heavy metal first, thrash and prog second.  I haven't even figured out my order yet completely, but honestly, picking which songs are my favorite is extremely difficult.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 12:18:24 AM »
I'm looking forward to following this nevertheless.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 03:56:18 AM »
I have a feeling there's not a post in this thread I'm going to like as much as the first set of songs. But I love bashing bad stuff, so that might be just me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 08:17:17 PM »
181. Crush 'Em (Risk, 1999): This song is the definition of Megadeth selling out.  I've never heard of a song that screams "sell out" as much as this one.  Metallica never even sold out this much (even though they went downhill much more than Megadeth did).  Now, I don't have a problem with bands trying new things and making a commercial album (and Risk is actually pretty good), but this song leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I honestly don't find it that catchy, and it's just really, really basic.  Do I hate it?  Absolutely not.  Do I like it?  Nope, not really.  This is definitely the worst song on Risk, which is ironic, because it's probably the most well known on the album.  I've heard Dave doesn't like this song either, which I can definitely see why.  It essentially goes against what Megadeth is all about.

180. No More Mr. Nice Guy (Hidden Treasures EP, 1995): I think the reason why I find Hidden Treasures to be overrated is because this is the song that opens the album.  To be fair, I'm not a big fan of the original song to begin with...it's overplayed, overrated and kind of boring.  Alice Cooper has a ton of much better songs.  That being said, it's a decent cover, but it's just not Megadeth at all.  Listening to it again recently made me think the same thing I always think when I hear this song...boring...skip. I just have no desire to listen to it.

179. Crown of Worms (Bonus Track): This was a bonus track released with the remastered version of Countdown to Extinction.  Thank God it's a bonus song, because this song is pretty damn forgettable.  The only good thing I can say about it is that it had a lot of energy.  The riffs are forgettable, the vocals and lyrics are forgettable and the chorus is really annoying and repeats a lot.  Annoying choruses really are my weak point when it comes to music.  It can make or break a song.  If the chorus didn't annoy me as much, this song would probably be 10-20 spots higher, because the rest is at least listenable, despite how forgettable it all is.

178. The Blackest Crow (Super Collider, 2013): While it's not nearly as bad as "Built For War", it's all around just really forgettable and filler.  The whole southern angle doesn't really work well for Megadeth and I just never "got" this track the same way other people have.  It seems like everyone says this is one of the better tracks on Super Collider but I disagree.  There is nothing memorable about it, in my opinion.  The solo is kind of cool, I guess, but other than that, this one's a stinker.

177. Foreign Policy (Dystopia, 2016): Ah, the first song off of 2016's Dystopia gets knocked off.  This song is a cover by the band "Fear".  I have heard of Fear but I never listened to them before.  The thing that plagues this song is the same thing that plagues "Crown of Worms": the chorus.  It's annoying.  If I hear the words "Foreign Policy!" one more time in quick succession I'm going to scream.  It's a shame because the riffs aren't bad and you can feel the energy in this song.  The song is also really short, being only two and a half minutes.  Overall, definitely not my first choice to listen to.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 08:47:08 PM »
This update is fair enough.  I like Crush 'Em though, but it isn't one of their best that's for sure.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 09:02:05 PM »
This update is fair enough.  I like Crush 'Em though, but it isn't one of their best that's for sure.

Yeah Crush 'Em seems to divide a lot of fans...they either like it or don't like it, there's not much middle ground.  I mean, hey, if I they ever played this live I would definitely sing along to it.  Live seems to be what the song is meant for anyway.  I find it funny that I prefer "Enter the Arena" (the intro song to Crush 'Em) more than the actual song.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 12:57:15 AM »
I decided to do another update today.  I've got most of my list worked out, now I'm just making tweaks here and there as I see fit.

176. Bite the Hand (Endgame, 2009): From the get go this has been my least favorite song off of Endgame.  It screams filler, and it really is a boring song.  It's not catchy, it's not awesome, it's not really anything.  At least this song doesn't annoy me.  It's really not a bad song, but the fact that it's on Endgame makes it stand out as being "the weak link".  In the end, this song just doesn't cut it.  I have no reason whatsoever to go back to this song, no matter how many times I listen to it.  It does nothing for me.

175. FFF (Cryptic Writings, 1997): It's really just a punk rock, fast paced song.  There's nothing special about it.  It's not heavy, it's not catchy, and it's not even that fast if you compare it with other Megadeth songs.  This song is definitely the worst on Cryptic Writings.    Honestly, this album is not as bad as people say it is...not nearly as bad.  This song just feels like the band had to get a "final track" on the album and they put something together in a half hour.  They should have stuck with "Bullprick", a bonus song that is pretty much an exact copy save for lyric changes, but it's a better version of this song, in my opinion.  This song is just...there.  Oh yeah, the chorus can get annoying after a while, as well.  I suppose it's not a bad song, but it doesn't really do anything for me. 

174. Enter The Arena (Risk, 1999): Honestly, for an intro song...this song is awesome.  It's not really much of a song or anything, just a basic drum beat with some guitar chords and Dave screaming "CRUSH!" the whole time.  But it's pretty awesome for what it is.  I wish they would use this at Monster Truck shows all the time.  It's perfect for that.  There's not much else to say, and you'd be hard pressed finding someone who calls this a song...but I like it for what it is.

173. Super Collider (Super Collider, 2013): This song gets a lot of crap.  Honestly...it's not THAT bad.  I mean, sure, the verses are weird and the chorus is annoying and repetitive, but it's not the anomaly that Megadeth fans make it out to be.  The chorus is annoying in a catchy sort of way...you can't help but sing along with it.  It's just like a Katy Perry song in that regard.  That's not to say I dislike this song, but it's really not that good.  Definitely not as "terrible" as fans make it out to be, though.

172. I Know Jack (The System Has Failed, 2004): This is an intro to "Back in the Day" and it succeeds at doing what it's supposed to do.  The guitar work is great and the words spoken throughout are definitely interesting.  Not much to say about this, but for being a 40 second intro, it's pretty much the best you can get.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:54:34 AM by npiazza91 »

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 03:45:31 AM »
I've got to agree with the majority of your choices here. I actually quite like Amerikhastan though (I'm a huge fan of United Abominations) and would also rank Foreign Policy higher (it's still quite fresh for me though).

Interested to see where Dawn Patrol places :lol

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 04:29:14 AM »
I've got to agree with the majority of your choices here. I actually quite like Amerikhastan though (I'm a huge fan of United Abominations) and would also rank Foreign Policy higher (it's still quite fresh for me though).

Interested to see where Dawn Patrol places :lol

United Abominations is a great album overall, don't get me wrong.  I just find Amerikhastan to be a snooze fest personally.  Dawn Patrol is definitely the weakest off "Rust in Peace" (SPOILERZ!!!) but I think it'll be a little while before we see it here.  That song is a psychopath's wet dream in all its glory, and for being less than 2 minutes, it's pretty bad ass.  Again I haven't fully fine tuned my list yet.  I have an idea of what songs I prefer over others (I have the songs from every album individually ranked within itself) but when it gets down to the select few to make an update in this topic it becomes more difficult.  Right now I'm viewing the list as "which song do I dislike more" but as we go on it'll become "which song do I like more".  At this point, every song from now on is, for the most part, decent, so it's starting to become harder.  I'm not sure if I will have an update tomorrow.  Megadeth is the kind of band where I can love a song one day but love a different song more another day, for no real reason.  I'm trying to make this as true to my tastes as possible.  For the most part, I'm at the point now where all the easy ones have already been ranked.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:37:01 AM by npiazza91 »

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 11:15:25 PM »
171. These Boots (Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good, 1985): Ok, I can't put this one off any longer.  I try to like it...I really, REALLY try to like it.  It's fast, it's furious, it's out of control, and that's what Megadeth is very good at.  But I just never cared for this song.  first of all, it's a cover of a song so far removed from thrash metal, or metal in general, it's almost like a joke.  It's like if Justin Bieber did a cover of Arch Enemy's "Nemesis"...it's like "...HUH?".  I don't know what the hell Dave was on when he decided to do a cover of this song, but hearing him scream "READY BOOOOOOTTTTTTS!" is hilarious, and one of the funniest moments in any Megadeth song.  Now, for all the weirdness this song produces, it's obviously played with a lot of talent.  The drums, the guitar, while sloppy at times, is still pretty insane.  This song is definitely the hardest to play out of any song on my list so far, and if you know me you know that I have a ton of respect for talent in the music industry.  I know this song is considered "a classic" but I just don't buy it.  It's silly, it's not very exciting, and to make matter worse, the remastered version has most of the lyrics bleeped out anyway.  If you don't take it seriously, it's kind of cool, but it just doesn't stack up to anything else that came out during Megadeth's early years.

170. I'll Be There (Risk, 1999): Eh...this one's ok.  I always found this song boring, and listening to it again...it's still boring.  I guess the verses are ok, but the chorus sounds too drawn out and slow paced, and it does not do wonders for Dave's voice.  Dave has proved more than once that he can write a good ballad, but this just doesn't cut it.  I don't really have anything against this song, it's kind of just there.  It appears on the middle of the album, too, so it kind of gets lost in the shuffle of slower, commercial type songs, which Risk is known for.  The problem is, most of the other songs on the album do it better.

169. Dialectic Chaos (Endgame, 2009): I can be a sucker for instrumentals when done right.  But when it's not done right, there's not much else to like about it.  This song plays more like an intro to "This Day We Fight!" rather than being a full on instrumental track.  That being said, the shredding here is absolutely insane.  For an intro, it is definitely the start of what is considered to be an amazing Megadeth album, but since it doesn't really do much other than lead in to the next song, I can't really think of it as anything BUT an intro.  I wish more was done with this track, because if it was tuned up a little more, it could have been a lot better.  Ultimately, it ends up being forgettable, especially with everything else coming after it.

168. Have Cool, Will Travel (Cryptic Writings, 1997): This song is odd.  I like it, but I don't.  First off, what the hell does "Have Cool, Will Travel" even mean?  Second of all, the "wheels on the bus" intro is...weird.  Third, the verses leave much to be desired and fall directly into the land of "filler".  The chorus is actually the best part of the song, and is pretty easy to sing along to.  Also, when Dave says "Have Cool, Will Travel!" going right into a pretty cool mid paced thrash riff...it's pretty awesome.  However, other than those 5 seconds of glory, not much else can be said about it.  It's a filler track on an album that simply has better songs surrounding it.

167. A Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free) (United Abominations, 2007): I actually like this song...kind of.  A few things hold it back.  First off, why did they decide to put a remixed version of a song already on an official album...on another album?  That's a waste of a spot.  Also, Christina Scabbia, while very talented, is just...random.  She doesn't fit well with the Megadeth sound.  Dave's voice also sound terrible in comparison to hers.  I would have actually liked this song better if you took out Dave's singing completely.  It should have been a Lacuna Coil cover song of "A Tout Le Monde".  I don't know...some of the choices Dave makes is just weird.  Again, not a bad song, but I just have to ask..."WHY?".  The fact that this is a near exact copy (and a lesser one, at that) of another Megadeth song hurts it even more.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 11:21:50 PM »
I know this song is considered "a classic" but I just don't buy it.

Huh  ???
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 11:32:10 PM »
I know this song is considered "a classic" but I just don't buy it.

Huh  ???

Not in the sense that Peace Sells or SoD is, but it's still highly regarded as being a part of Megadeth's best times.  Ok, maybe classic wasn't the right word, but I felt I had to use it because many fans consider it to be much better than the spot that I have it at, probably about 100 spots higher.  Heck, the fact that I have most of Risk and Super Collider above it...I'm probably committing a thrash metal sin right now.  It's still purely a thrash metal song, which most fans will say makes it better than when they "sold out".  In comparison to DT, it would be like if I ranked "Wait For Sleep" as a bottom 20 song.  Sure, not really a classic, but it's still considered to be a part of the few albums when DT was considered to be at their best.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 11:40:47 PM »
In comparison to DT, it would be like if I ranked "Wait For Sleep" as a bottom 20 song.  Sure, not really a classic, but it's still considered to be a part of the few albums when DT was considered to be at their best.

But being in a classic album doesn't necessarily make a song a classic. I don't think most Megadeth fans care too much for These Boots or any other covers like Anarchy or Superstitious.

Personally, i probably would rank These Boots near the bottom too.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 11:47:15 PM »
True, Megadeth has not been very kind when it comes to covers.  I knew that Anarchy was not liked very much, but I always thought Superstitious (while still probably being known as the worst on the album) was still pretty respected among fans.

So you'd agree that These Boots is the weakest on the album?  And what do you think of the rest of the list so far?  Anything you really disagree with?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 11:51:42 PM »
I'm not even sure i would rank these songs, them being covers and all. Not that i dislike covers, but i don't care for the ones Megadeth did.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 11:52:37 PM »
the two Cryptic Writing tracks are both better than Sin and maybe I'll Get Even.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 12:11:26 AM »
the two Cryptic Writing tracks are both better than Sin and maybe I'll Get Even.

Cryptic Writings is a weird album.  Probably the weirdest they have ever done.  It's heavy, but it's not.  It's fast, but it's not.  It's commercial but it's not.  I like the diversity though, and because the album is so diverse in the type of songs it has, I can stick by your statement.  Sin and I'll Get Even are so far removed from what FFF and Have Cool, Will Travel does, you might see something in those songs that I don't see and vice versa.  It's not like Endgame, where if you told me that Bite the Hand is better than This Day We Fight or 44 Minutes, I'd have to argue that a little.  Cryptic Writings is so diverse and that's part of its charm.  Other than Trust and She-Wolf (considered to be universally accepted among fans as the best on the album), the entire album is pretty scattered when it comes to what people think of each song.  Probably the most out of any other album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 05:48:28 AM »
This is interesting.  I only know about maybe 1/4 of the catalog.  The early albums were pretty good.  They've still never topped "Rust in Peace" but to my complete astonishment, "Dystopia" is very close.  Easily the best album Dave has released in the last 10 years.

If anything from Rust In Peace appears before the top 20, this list is meaningless and invalid.  :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 03:47:23 PM »
I'll be There is awesome.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2016, 04:07:25 PM »
This is interesting.  I only know about maybe 1/4 of the catalog.  The early albums were pretty good.  They've still never topped "Rust in Peace" but to my complete astonishment, "Dystopia" is very close.  Easily the best album Dave has released in the last 10 years.

If anything from Rust In Peace appears before the top 20, this list is meaningless and invalid.  :P

I may as well just stop doing this list then  ;D So you would put Dawn Patrol in the top 20?

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 12:25:57 AM »
166. The Right to Go Insane (Endgame, 2009): There is nothing really bad about this song.  I know people that like it quite a bit...not top 50 or anything, but a lot higher than where I have it.  To me, I find this song generic as hell.  Nothing about it keeps pulling me back for more.  The riffs are ok, the vocals are ok, the chorus is ok...eh...nothing really sticks out to me on this one.  I've always grouped this in with "Bite the Hand" as the worst on Endgame, and after listening to both, this one is definitely better, but it still doesn't do anything for me.

165. Anarchy in the UK (So Far, So Good...So What!, 1988): A decent cover of an overrated song by an overrated band (in my opinion).  It's...kind of cool, I guess?  I wouldn't turn it off if I started listening to it.  But it's not really what I look for when I want to listen to Megadeth.  When compared to "These Boots", at least this song MAKES SENSE since Megadeth was obviously inspired by a lot of punk bands.  At least this song has a reason to exist in the Megadeth lineup.  I don't really have any complaints about this song other than the fact that there are 164 songs that I like better.

164. Paranoid (Hidden Trasures EP, 1995): I pretty much feel the same way about this song as I do "Anarchy in the UK".  It's a decent cover.  I do like Sabbath a lot better than the Sex Pistols, however this song is pretty overrated when it comes to the other things Ozzy has done.  I don't have a problem with this cover, it's just not really something that does much for me.  The only reason this is above "Anarchy in the UK" is because I like the original song more.  But I pretty much feel the same way about both of them.

163. Rattlehead (Killing Is My Business...And Business is Good, 1985): KimB is, in my opinion, a great, albeit sloppy album.  The song writing isn't exactly top notch and the band was still coming together as a whole.  This song is a perfect example of Dave wanting to "play super fast to beat Metallica" with little to no regard for actual song writing.  This is where the classic rock, prog and jazz fans in me have to pull the thrash fan aside and tell him to relax a bit.  Basically, I never liked Rattlehead much.  It's way too messy and chaotic, but not in the way that most of the other songs on this album are.  Besides the fact that this song has insane shredding and talent throughout, I can't really back this song up too much.  I'm pretty sure a lot of fans like it a lot (Outcrier can correct me if I'm wrong) but I just don't see the pull this song has, especially when there's 6 other songs on the album that are written tighter and better.  I do love the shredding, though, but I can't put this any higher.  It's just way too messy.

162. Shadow of Deth (The System Has Failed, 2004): This is an interesting little track.  It's not even really a song, more of a biblical passage with a basic beat, going right into a beautiful and fantastic arrangement of notes.  I really do love that part, it makes me wish the song was longer and it was made into an actual structured song.  Other than that, though, this one's not even really a song.  It's a shame, because I really do love that middle section.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »

I may as well just stop doing this list then  ;D So you would put Dawn Patrol in the top 20?

:rollin   Well played, my friend, carry on  :tup

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure a lot of fans like it a lot (Outcrier can correct me if I'm wrong)

Actually, i don't have that much knowledge of their fanbase to correct anyone. Rattlehead is my favorite from the debut though, definitely wouldn't rank it that low.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 03:46:07 PM »
A fan favorite is being knocked off soon.  If it's not in this next set that I do tonight, then it will probably be in the one after.  Based on what I have so far, would anyone like to guess what it is?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 04:00:17 PM »
A fan favorite is being knocked off soon.  If it's not in this next set that I do tonight, then it will probably be in the one after.  Based on what I have so far, would anyone like to guess what it is?

Wake Up Dead?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2016, 05:44:36 PM »

She-Wolf?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 05:46:01 PM »
Holy Wars  :xbones

Offline Mladen

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2016, 07:19:56 AM »
I agree. Same with Rattlehead and to an extent Crush 'em.

Can't really argue with the rest. Enjoying the list so far, keep up with the good work.  :tup

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2016, 09:43:01 AM »
Yea, I'm enjoying this list and certainly not an easy task. Megadeth have managed to have a career with plenty of highs and lows. I think out of the Big Four though they are probably the only band that doesn't have to rely on their classic material too much when playing live. I'd happily watch a Megadeth show where they only played tracks from 2000 onwards. That's not to say I don't love their classic albums (Rust in Peace is probably my #2 album of all time) but I love a lot of material off The System has Failed, United Abominations, Endgame and Dystopia.

Great band :metal

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2016, 01:19:57 PM »
161. Strange Ways (Warchest Compilation Album): I actually enjoy this song.  I mean, I don't actively listen to it, but it's not bad.  KISS is a band that I never got into...I always thought they were style over substance.  But this cover is pretty decent.  There's nothing really special about it, but it's effective in its simplicity.  Of course, there are 160 songs I'd rather listen to by Megadeth but for being a cover, it's pretty solid overall.

160. We The People (Thirteen, 2011): Definitely the weakest track on this album.  Thirteen is always an album that I will defend because while it's not exactly the best album they have done, it's certainly not nearly the worst.  This is a song that simply doesn't do much for me.  Some of the chords are pretty cool and the chorus can be catchy, but overall I find this song to be kind of a snooze fest, especially seeing as how this album is pretty energetic overall.  The lyrics aren't too bad, but there's not much interesting things going on in the way of the instrumentals.

159. Diadems (Hideen Treasures EP, 1995): I'm really not sure how I feel about this song.  On one hand, it's good and interesting, on the other it's kind of empty and dry.  The verses have some good notes and the vocals are pretty good but as a whole this song doesn't really do much. It kind of sags as it goes along and there are things that I like about it, but if I consider the whole package, it's really not doing much to pull me in or be exciting or anything.  It's an ok song, but it's kind of just there, floating along while most of the other songs on this album are doing so much more.

158. Dawn Patrol (Rust In Peace, 1990): The first song on Rust in Peace has been dethroned.  This is a song that  leads in to "Rust In Peace...Polaris".  It's simple, it's effective, yet it doesn't really do a whole lot.  Dave's talking vocals are epic in a quiet serial killer sort of way, and while there's no guitar to speak of, the bass line is pretty great.  Yet again, I can not put this song any higher simply because it's not even really a full song.  Still, being what it is, it's pretty damn awesome.

157. Skin O' My Teeth (Countdown To Extinction, 1992): Here it is, guys...the fan favorite I told you about.  Sure it's not quite as popular as Holy Wars or Peace Sells or She-Wolf, but it was on their greatest hits album and this song is generally well liked.  Honestly, I never card for it.  It's funny because when you listen to it, it actually has the elements that make a good song.  The riffs are good, the song is catchy, the vocals are nice, the solo is pretty good...so what's the problem?  Well, the song is simply dry.  That's the best word I can think of for it.  Every time I hear it, I sort of get this dry, boring feeling and then the elements start to stick put to me as being not as great as I thought it was.  I'll think of this song when I'm not listening to it and think it's pretty good, then I'll listen to it and I get turned off by it.  It's difficult for me to explain exactly what I don't like about this song...I think this is simply the case of "not liking it" all that much rather than something sticking out to me that I can pin point.  So why is it not lower?  Well, because like I said it has all the elements that make a Megadeth song great.  I feel like I SHOULD like it a lot, but I don't.  For some reason, this song has never sat well with me.  Yes, I think this song is the worst off of Countdown, and I really can't figure out why.  I don't dislike it, but I would probably say it's the most overrated Megadeth song out there.  It's just so plain.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 02:38:54 PM »
Wow, three songs that are a good 100+ places WAY too low.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 03:53:27 PM »
157. Skin O' My Teeth (Countdown To Extinction, 1992): Here it is, guys...the fan favorite I told you about.  Sure it's not quite as popular as Holy Wars or Peace Sells or She-Wolf, but it was on their greatest hits album and this song is generally well liked.  Honestly, I never card for it.  It's funny because when you listen to it, it actually has the elements that make a good song.  The riffs are good, the song is catchy, the vocals are nice, the solo is pretty good...so what's the problem?  Well, the song is simply dry.  That's the best word I can think of for it.  Every time I hear it, I sort of get this dry, boring feeling and then the elements start to stick put to me as being not as great as I thought it was.  I'll think of this song when I'm not listening to it and think it's pretty good, then I'll listen to it and I get turned off by it.  It's difficult for me to explain exactly what I don't like about this song...I think this is simply the case of "not liking it" all that much rather than something sticking out to me that I can pin point.  So why is it not lower?  Well, because like I said it has all the elements that make a Megadeth song great.  I feel like I SHOULD like it a lot, but I don't.  For some reason, this song has never sat well with me.  Yes, I think this song is the worst off of Countdown, and I really can't figure out why.  I don't dislike it, but I would probably say it's the most overrated Megadeth song out there.  It's just so plain.

ha! hahahahahahahaha good one.