Poll

Does Splent take too long

Yes, he needs to listen more and stop procrastinating even though he's busy as fuck
5 (41.7%)
Yes, but I understand his life is crazy right now so I'll let it slide for now
4 (33.3%)
No, don't worry about it, you're doing fine
0 (0%)
No, in fact you can slow down a bit and it'll still be ok
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Splent's Controversial Roulette v.1.0.11 - R10 RESULTS!! FINAL ROUND COMMENCING  (Read 88804 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor

Tastes

Banned List

Rules, Regulations, Procedures, etc

ROUND 1  Spotify Playlist

ROUND 2 Spotify Playlist

ROUND 3 Spotify Playlist

ROUND 4 Spotify Playlist

ROUND 5 Spotify Playlist

ROUND 6 Spotify Playlist

ROUND 7 Spotify Playlist

ROUND 8Spotify Playlist

Participants (16):
- lonestar
- kingshmegland
- big hath
4. Bolsters
5. Sacul
6. Tyrias
7. Evermind
8. TAC
9. Scorpion
9. jingle.boy
11. Tomislav95
11. Parama
13. 425
13. Elite
15. Train of Naught
16. Fluffy Lothario

SCORES:
Lonestar - 67.5
Kingschmegland - 67
Big Hath - 66.5
Bolsters - 65.5
Tyrias - 65.5
Sacul - 64.5
Evermind - 64.5
TAC - 64
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 07:52:08 PM by splent »
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's First Roulette v.1.0.0 - FINALLY
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 06:54:59 AM »
OK FINALLY it is time for my roulette. I’m not sure how many users I’ll take, but 10-12 seems reasonable… I’ll take more though; if it ends up being a ton, I may end up doing some sort of elimination or qualifying round, although I’m not a fan of that format; I may just add an extra round or two and/or do more eliminations depending on amount of people.

Tell you what. Let’s just open up the roulette and see how many people are interested.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 06:59:51 AM »
In.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 07:00:54 AM »
In.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 07:02:36 AM »
In!

I wasn't entirely sure but what the hey, why not.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 07:11:51 AM »
Let me in
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 07:45:08 AM »
Ok, since I'm a n00b at giving one when should I post my rules, tastes, and banned list?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 07:48:08 AM »
You might wanna post that stuff shortly. I have some idea of what you're into, but until I know what's banned and what you're after, I don't know how much I can really send you that you might care for.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 07:50:26 AM »
Sign me the fuck up, Mr. Red.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 07:51:04 AM »
You might wanna post that stuff shortly. I have some idea of what you're into, but until I know what's banned and what you're after, I don't know how much I can really send you that you might care for.

So you aren't sure yet? ;)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 07:53:06 AM »
Ok, since I'm a n00b at giving one when should I post my rules, tastes, and banned list?
I'd probably get the banned list going and if you're making a post about tastes, that too. You never know how many are on the fence until that information is available.

As for rules, I'd say post them whenever. Maybe get them out early if there's something really weird in there so people know upfront.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 08:04:07 AM »

So you aren't sure yet? ;)
Basically. I mean, when I go into a roulette, I don't necessarily go in to dominate. I'm mainly there to throw some songs at someone, and if I send even one song that spurs them to check out an album, I'm happy.

But without some idea of what you're after... I mean, if you were after, for example, a whole bunch of new prog, there is literally nothing I could give you. So I need some indication that there is something I have that you might want.  :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 08:21:35 AM »
Well I'm an open book. I do want some new prog but that's not all I'm looking for. I'll post the tastes and banned list shortly.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 08:24:13 AM »
Interests:
ROCK: My favorite genres of rock are classic rock, prog rock, and jazz-rock, but I’m open to most types. I am listening to less and less metal nowadays but still enjoy it especially if it’s done well. 1970s are my favorite decade for rock but I like most of it overall. Today’s rock just seems somewhat stagnant, as from what I’ve heard there isn’t a lot that has changed in the last decade or so, which is probably why I’m not as into it as I once was. However, I still do enjoy it, and haven’t heard anything new in a while, so if you have something you are excited about that’s not on my banned list, give it a shot. I do enjoy instrumental djent, but haven’t experienced enough with vocals to make any sort of judgement otherwise. I enjoy symphonic elements immensely, so that may be a direction you want to take. Not a fan of growly deathy stuff, although I’m not opposed to it either, especially if it’s done well. Sometimes that or harsh vocals make it sound almost affected, and that turns me off. The more melodic and happy the better. 70s soft/light/folk rock calms me down in a good way. Clean powerful vocals are also a good sign.

METAL: I do like metal, but haven't heard any new metal in a while. Obviously I enjoy prog metal. I like symphonic metal but haven't heard a lot of it and not for a long time. I like power metal, but can usually only handle it in small doses because so much of it sounds the same. Thrash, death, and black metal are usually too dark for me, because I enjoy hearing melodies that I can usually play or sing a long with, and usually the guitars are too distorted and the vocals too growly for me to get into. However, I can't say that I dislike growls, because I do enjoy bands with growly vocals... but I haven't listened to anything like that in a very long time. I enjoy quite a few metal ballads as well, if you want to go that route.

JAZZ: I love jazz fusion and smooth jazz and the bridge between the two. I pretty much like all jazz (from Big Band/Swing to Bebop to Cool to Free) but especially those.  I really don’t have a lot of time nowadays to just sit and listen to the music though, so that’s why some huge jazz artists like Miles Davis haven’t been completely banned (although I will tell you with the artist if I’ve heard it before… like because so many jazz artists evolve their sound so much from album to album I can’t ban them outright; if I haven’t heard everything, they aren’t banned).

POP: I love synthpop, especially when it’s well done. I love the wall of sound/ethereal take than many people are using now. I dislike a lot of mainstream pop, although it’s been getting better, especially lately with all the 80s and 90s influences; things go full circle in music. I also have a guilty pleasure for 90s dance/house music… shhh ;)

COUNTRY: Some country is ok, but the twangy stuff with men wearing stetsons 4 sizes too big and the stuff about getting drunk is just putrid. Not a fan, unless it’s done really well. I like bluegrass a LITTLE better. In all actuality most country artists i like are female… although TBH it would be a huge risk for you to send anything by a country artist.

RAP/HIP HOP: I love artists that integrate jazz samples in their music or just pump it up. I also enjoy rap that deals with a prominent social issue. I hate hate HATE the slow trap sound that’s been dominating hip hop lately, or songs blatantly about sex or drugs with no substance whatsoever. I’m VERY particular.

CLASSICAL:
I mean I know a LOT of classical music so if you have guts you can try… I like Renaissance, Baroque, and 20th century classical music the best, I really am not a fan of German Romantic music. Chances are if you’ve heard of it and aren’t a huge Classical music fan, I’ve heard it at some point in my career, so please OK it with me before submitting… If you insist on sending classical, be prepared for many rejections. Check out my top 50 before sending as well, and it’s changed a little since then since I did it in a hurry and missed a bunch of songs :lol… Choral music is my forte so I’ve heard even more of that. My favorite composers are in the banned list, but there are several I’ve enjoyed that aren’t on there so again, double check with me please.

ELECTRONIC: I know some, especially older electronic music (70s and 80s avant garde-synthy stuff)... most of the songs I’ve liked are on Ishkur’s Guide to Electronic Music, which is so massive it probably doesn’t help you much, as there’s a lot of stuff on there I don’t like as well :lol. Chances are though you could make an educated guess on whether I like it or not. I’m always down for something new though.

VOCALS:
I love clean versatile vocals. I don’t dislike growls, but the more predominant they are the less likely I’ll enjoy the song, unless it “fits”... hard to explain. I HATE HATE HATE harsh screamo vocals. If they are like in the background and done well and it fits within the mold of the song I’ll tolerate them but there are FEW examples of this (one is in the Human Equation by Ayreon but I can’t remember what Day).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:32:01 PM by splent »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 08:50:28 AM »
Well, I'm immensely relieved that "Rock" was the biggest paragraph.

I got nothing or virtually nothing for the other genres.

ROCK: Today’s rock just seems somewhat stagnant, as from what I’ve heard there isn’t a lot that has changed in the last decade or so, which is probably why I’m not as into it as I once was. However, I still do enjoy it, and haven’t heard anything new in a while,

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 08:56:17 AM »
Might be able to change your mind about that modern rock :metal also might throw in some electronic and maybe some hip-hop too.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 08:59:52 AM »
I'm going to be honest, I haven't heard much new rock in the last 5 years or so. So I'm excited for this. I was really turned off by it in the last few years because all of it sounded the same to me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 09:00:00 AM »
Awe yeah I'm in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 09:08:50 AM »
 I'll post my banned list in a little while… I'm actually on my way to get my whooping cough shot because my wife's cousin had a premature baby, and if we  are going to see her, we all need to get that shot.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 09:18:06 AM »
I think I'll try my hand at this as well.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 09:18:25 AM »
Alright, that gives me some ideas, I think I'll play.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 09:37:01 AM »
i'll join because splent begged me to even though i don't have a lot to offer him  :tup
also the banned list might help dunno

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 09:37:19 AM »
I would like to join this shindig
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 09:39:03 AM »
i'll join because splent begged me to even though i don't have a lot to offer him  :tup
also the banned list might help dunno
Are you sending weird metal, or harsh noise first?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 09:43:32 AM »
why not both?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 09:45:31 AM »
I'll join this, if it's OK.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2016, 10:44:16 AM »
I can't get the banned list to open. Any chance to copy/paste in the thread?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »
He hasn't revealed the banned list yet. :tup It's an empty URL, it will likely be linked to wherever he is going to post the list soon.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2016, 11:00:42 AM »
I can't get the banned list to open. Any chance to copy/paste in the thread?

Yeah it's not up yet. Just wait a bit. I have to take my daughter to her piano lesson, so it's going to be a couple of hours yet.

Why don't you play "Guess what bands are on Splent's banned list" game while you wait :lol

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2016, 11:01:49 AM »
I want to play on this  :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2016, 11:14:17 AM »
piano lesson
my round 1 entry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CpAlN5qAhs

I knew what the song was before I even clicked that link…   :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2016, 12:43:18 PM »
Well, I'm immensely relieved that "Rock" was the biggest paragraph.

I got nothing or virtually nothing for the other genres.

I think I actually have a Rap song for this!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2016, 12:50:09 PM »
Read the tastes post... so, uh, what's your view on metal? :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2016, 01:31:24 PM »
Read the tastes post... so, uh, what's your view on metal? :biggrin:

I re-read my post and I didn't really elaborate on metal, so here goes... I'll add this to the post as well.

I do like metal, but haven't heard any new metal in a while. Obviously I enjoy prog metal. I like symphonic metal but haven't heard a lot of it and not for a long time. I like power metal, but can usually only handle it in small doses because so much of it sounds the same. Thrash, death, and black metal are usually too dark for me, because I enjoy hearing melodies that I can usually play or sing a long with, and usually the guitars are too distorted and the vocals too growly for me to get into. However, I can't say that I dislike growls, because I occasionally do enjoy a few bands with growly vocals... but I haven't listened to anything like that in a very long time. I enjoy quite a few metal ballads as well, if you want to go that route.