Author Topic: 2016-05-01 State Theatre, Minneapolis, MN  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Volante99

2016-05-01 State Theatre, Minneapolis, MN
« on: April 29, 2016, 03:56:39 PM »
Hey people! Who is all going??

Front row, center balcony here. Should be amazing!

Hoping John might bust out a Prince tune, but I wouldn't bet on it :P

Offline cosmicwxdude

Re: 2016-05-01 State Theatre, Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 11:50:39 AM »
Probably won't happen as this concert is quite structured, but perhaps a brief encore of something Purple. Would be cool.   I plan on heading down by myself and getting ticket at window.  I've missed their last 2 shows here. Looking forward to it.  And you know what? I kinda like going to concerts by myself and meeting like-minded musically tasted folks.  :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 12:17:30 PM »
Plenty of tickets available. I checked the site and the entire back balcony is completely open and quite a few floor seats
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 10:23:51 PM »
The show was very tastefully done. Sound was crisp and loud, but could discern instruments fine. James sounded real good. The staging, screens were jus gorgeous....loved it when it felt like stage was moving, floating when movie was panning etc. But the colors, lights and epic music over it all was a sight to behold. Everyone sounded and played great. In the end I'd say it was about 90% full. Main floor was pretty much full, but I walked up to window and got an aisle seat in row ee.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 10:41:30 PM »
That was an incredible show. Yes indeed, James sounded great! Very cool stage and lighting and everyone sounded really good. MM was having trouble with something in the very beginning that persisted for awhile, but he continued playing while turning around a few times to talk to Eric

The crowd was very good too. I'll write more tomorrow when I'm on my laptop, but I really enjoyed it. I was third row in the balcony center.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Volante99

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 12:18:21 AM »
Awesome show!

The visuals were great, probably the best light show I've ever seen in a rock concert. I'd love to see them put in the same amount of production with their classic tunes.

The whole band was top notch tonight. James sounded simply amazing. A couple tiny rough patches but I gotta say he's just been on fire the last two tours that I've seen him in.

I was kind of ho-hum about them doing an Astonishing only tour but they won me over tonight. The album comes off so powerfully in a live setting; it just makes sense.

My only minor complaints would be that JLB was a bit low in the mix at times, and occasionally Petrucci wasn't getting enough of a boost on a few of his leads and had a hard time cutting through the mix on a couple solos. Otherwise the sound was great overall.

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 06:03:41 AM »
One more observation;  this women sitting back by me in the last 10 rows of main floor was reeeeeaaallly into it.  She stood much of the show. Great!  But I felt bad for her because during 2nd half of show she was standing, most people were sitting and apparently someone behind her complained and the usher came and told her to sit down because people behind her were complaining. She seemed perplexed and the air came out of her balloon real quick.  She sat down, only to get up again and be told again to sit down. (mind you this is a rock concert).  She was invited to move across the aisle to another seat with no one behind her (far to the right) and she stood the rest of the show. 
  I had a guy standing in front of me too, but I was on row seat and could easily see around him, but ushers came to me and asked if I wanted him to sit down...since he was about 6'4" I declined.  :D  Plus I had not problem with him standing. He was into it and that was fine by me! 
 This same women who was standing all show also attempted to give the Sound Guy a rose during intermission, but security wouldn't let her get too close and when the sound guy finally came over to her he declined....no where to put it.  Oh well, they looked pretty busy and involved with their work so...yeah, the chick was kinda drunk and really into DT but her balloon was deflated twice at this show. Poor thing.  :metal

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 02:36:49 PM »
I thought the sound was pretty good right up until A New Beginning. Then for some reason it seemed to get much louder and more muddled. Did anyone else notice this?
Great show though.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 08:15:20 PM »
I was more disappointed at how you could barely hear Myung during A New Beginning. It did seem kind of muddled.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline shredder711

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 02:51:22 PM »
Fantastic show. My friend and I drove up with our wives from Topeka, Kansas just to see this show. I figured this was going to be a special thing and didn't want to miss it if they didn't ever add a Kansas City date. Let's just say I'm very happy with that decision. I've been to several DT shows over the past 15 years and I gotta say that this was one of the best. I also got to get a pic with John Petrucci at Guitar Center that afternoon. I didn't know he was going to be there until I saw a GC ad for it on my FB feed on Saturday afternoon. If I had known ahead of time, I would have brought my copy of their biography with my name in the back of it.

As for the woman that cosmicwxdude mentioned...I'll give her credit for her enthusiasm. And the dude with her would yell out occasionally, as well. I'm pretty sure they were drunk, though. I don't have a problem with the cheering. She kept calling out John (Petrrucci). I think later in the show someone finally pointed out that there were other members of the band and then she started calling out the other members' names. My only gripe was that on the quieter parts it was annoying when she was yelling.

Offline SteveW

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 06:50:34 AM »
My wife and I sat right in front of her (prior to her moving).  I thought she was pretty cool, but also a little drunk.  Drunk usually equals a little loud.  :)

It was my 4th Dream Theater show, and it was absolutely phenomenal.  The stage show, wow!

I also met a fan from Winnipeg the day before and actually ran into him at the show.  Super cool guy.  I thought James nailed it that night, and of course the rest of the guys were on fire.  This was my first time seeing Mangini, and he is a beast.