Author Topic: Mangini's 5th Anniversary  (Read 8353 times)

Offline Peace and Love

Re: Mangini's 5th Anniversary
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2016, 09:02:56 AM »
Hey guys, I found this awesome clip on Youtube today where MM explains how he constructed his DT kit. It's almost half an hour long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPSqdFAcyEU

I'm sorry if posting this is against the rules or something, mods please delete it if so, and I apologise for posting it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2016, 10:17:07 AM »
Watching now :cool:

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2016, 11:21:25 AM »
''I don't know what it is, but WHEEE!''-Mike Mangini  :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2016, 12:25:55 PM »
" That's why I *need* 4 bass drums "

Fast forward 2 years and now he only has 2. :dunno:

Guess you didn't *need* them after all.

* ( unless he's only slimmed down to 2 kicks just for The Astonishing tour - but I hope not because the kit looks much better with just two )

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2016, 12:27:20 PM »
Whether he feels he needs them now is irrelevant to whether he felt he needed them for the sound he was going for at the time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2016, 12:28:19 PM »
I hope he keeps it as 2 kicks because 4 bass drums ( for me ) just looks really excessive.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2016, 12:45:13 PM »
Well, this is prog metal.  "Excessive" kind of loses some of its meaning.

A 42-minute song is also excessive.  Meaningless.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2016, 12:49:09 PM »
At least his kit now doesn't look as stupid as Mike Portnoy's Siamese kit...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2016, 12:54:13 PM »
I didn't think that looked stupid either.  I mean, it definitely looked big as hell, but it was literally two separate drumkits fused together.  The bass drums and snares were different on each side of the kit(s), so he got different sounds from different sides, and played different sides on different songs.

There was a purpose to it, it wasn't just a thousand drums stacked on top of each other, like Terry Bozzio's (although that supposedly has a purpose also).

You should really love this one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2016, 01:03:58 PM »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2016, 01:09:55 PM »
Yeah, I mean, that one gets a big WTF

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2016, 01:11:48 PM »
I used to go to my friend's house to jam and they only had a 4 piece with hi hats and maybe two cymbals.

I find that smaller kits force you to be more creative instead of just hitting everything for every drum fill.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2016, 01:14:25 PM »
I get that point of view, but I would rather have a few more choices.  I can make do with a 5-piece and 3 cymbals and a hi-hat, but I wouldn't want to go smaller than that.  I wouldn't feel creative, I would feel handcuffed.

But of course, I am not a fantastically talented drummer.  I am just an OK drummer.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2016, 01:19:19 PM »
I find that smaller kits force you to be more creative instead of just hitting everything for every drum fill.
I disagree.  You can be just as creative on a larger kit as a smaller kit.  A smaller kit just lends itself to a different kind of creativity.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2016, 01:23:10 PM »
I feel completely lost on a huge kit.

When I went to jam night in Guildford - the house kit had 4 rack toms and 2 floors.

That was too much for me. I just felt like 3 of those toms were in the way.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2016, 02:59:53 PM »
" That's why I *need* 4 bass drums "

Fast forward 2 years and now he only has 2. :dunno:

Guess you didn't *need* them after all.

* ( unless he's only slimmed down to 2 kicks just for The Astonishing tour - but I hope not because the kit looks much better with just two )

If I'm not mistaken I read in a recent MM interview that the sounds of these other two kicks are now triggered in his third pedals of each side of the kit.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2016, 03:05:06 PM »
That makes more sense to me.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2016, 08:49:57 PM »
I disagree.  You can be just as creative on a larger kit as a smaller kit.  A smaller kit just lends itself to a different kind of creativity.
Agreed. It's like saying you can't be as creative with an 88-note keyboard as with a 49-note keyboard because it makes you hit more 'wisely' each key. Size is completely unrelated to the possible creative output of the instrument, I think.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2016, 08:52:49 PM »

When I went to jam night in Guildford - the house kit had 4 rack toms and 2 floors.

But not every drummer is you. Yes, sometimes having a small kit makes you think differently. Sometimes having a big kit makes you think differently. The people who hit everything on a big kit for every fill, are no different than the people who do uncreative fills on small kids.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:03:41 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2016, 08:20:28 AM »

But not every drummer is you. Yes, sometimes having a small kit makes you think differently. Sometimes having a big kit makes you think differently. The people who hit everything on a big kit for every fill, are no different than the people who do uncreative fills on small kids.

I just don't wanna know what "uncreative fills on small kids" means. Too much for me!  :o  :rollin :rollin :rollin

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2016, 10:33:44 AM »
 :lol

Adami pulled a me.  I do agree with him with his evaluation on kit sizes and how good a drummers is.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2016, 12:25:35 PM »
On one hand, the idea of being more creative with limited choices makes sense. You have to try harder to make things work, which helps you come up with more original ideas.

On the other, no successful creative person ever truly believes this. What successful guitarist doesn't own a ton of guitars. What successful film composer purposefully limits the instruments in his orchestra? What successful writer purposefully limits their vocabulary? And on and on and on.

(The only exception, generally, to the above is some sort of stylistic choice)
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2016, 02:47:23 PM »
^ But you could argue that the best drummer in the world *needs* a gigantic kit.

Which is not the case.

Mangini *does* have a gigantic kit but he has a very unique reason for doing so.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2016, 03:42:54 PM »
^ But you could argue that the best drummer in the world *needs* a gigantic kit.

Which is not the case.

Mangini *does* have a gigantic kit but he has a very unique reason for doing so.

Arguing that any artist should do anything is kinda pointless. I'm not saying that, at least to me, every artist makes the best choices all the time, but it doesn't really matter for the most part. The only justification an artist usually needs is, "I wanted to do that."

Except for that guy with the 800 piece drum kit. That's more masturbation than art. There is a line somewhere.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2016, 03:50:55 PM »
At least Mangini can talk at length as to why his kit is the way it is...

I'd love to hear Terry Bozzio explain why he has 12 bass drums :rollin

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2016, 04:33:38 PM »

Adami pulled a me.  I do agree with him with his evaluation on kit sizes and how good a drummers is.

No, I meant kids. Not going to explain it though.   :millahhhh
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2016, 04:51:31 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2016, 06:46:28 PM »

Which is not the case.
You are correct. He doesn't need one, and he doesn't use one:

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2016, 07:34:20 PM »
On one hand, the idea of being more creative with limited choices makes sense. You have to try harder to make things work, which helps you come up with more original ideas.

No. A smaller kit does not work if your drumming composition style and philosophy is orchestration, seeing drums not just as rhythmic but also as melodic instruments. In Mangini's drumming philosophy, high and low keys in a drum set are relevant. Needing more toms and cymbals is relevant also when your drumming philosophy is that the drums tie in to what everybody else in the band is doing.

If anything, I find MM's drumming philosophy more original because I can not find any other drummer who goes up and down scales and shifts from low-pitched to high-pitched rides and hi-hats and kick drums as a matter of orchestration like MM does. If you disagree, name me one other drummer who follows the same drumming orchestration style (other than Terry Bozzio).

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2016, 08:11:21 PM »

No. A smaller kit does not work if your drumming composition style and philosophy is orchestration, seeing drums not just as rhythmic but also as melodic instruments. In Mangini's drumming philosophy, high and low keys in a drum set are relevant. Needing more toms and cymbals is relevant also when your drumming philosophy is that the drums tie in to what everybody else in the band is doing.

If he can't do both then I don't see how he's any better than somebody who is only able to play on a small kit.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2016, 08:46:09 PM »

If he can't do both then I don't see how he's any better than somebody who is only able to play on a small kit.

He can do both but he needs a large kit when he goes up and down scales mirroring the melodic runs and if you highlight three different instruments at the same time with different limbs. How do you do a melodic run up a scale if you only have one piece of tom?

It's not like Mangini does not know how to drum with a small kit. He does. Look at his Annihilator, Extreme or Tribe of Judah stuff. He also used a small kit in his recent UK gig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7nGtoYckP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Il5LG-r40

With smaller kits, he transfers most of his orchestration on the cymbals.

With Dream Theater, he just applies a different drumming philosophy. It's the same drumming philosophy he used when he was with Vai, because those are the types of music where he can exercise his vision on how to orchestrate music. It sometimes just gets lost in the translation because the studio recording does not capture the differences in frequencies of the cymbals. For example, this performance with Nuno shows Mangini's orchestration style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWhqGPKfqvA

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2016, 11:16:44 AM »
Yep.  Different tools for different jobs.

Jazz drummers normally have much smaller kits than someone like Mangini.  But what they are doing is not the same thing that Mangini is doing.  Which is not an indictment on the talent level or creativity level of either one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2016, 04:08:10 PM »
This is not about mangini or Jazz drummers but a thing i've started seeing drummers do now is angle the cymbals *away* from them.

I can't see how that would be beneficial in any way and would potentially be damaging to stick and cymbal

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2016, 11:30:49 PM »
This is how groovy Illumination Theory's drums are if you actually have a good snare and could hear the cymbals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58KFlF1SRoI

:metal

The chorus!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2016, 06:33:10 AM »
Great video, that really shows all the detail that was lost in the final mix... Honestly listening to that, it makes me wish DT12 had a drum sound similar to SDOIT or something like that. It's a shame a lot of that great cymbal work isn't easily heard on the album.